Options

*** Manchester 2 Fanviews Here 6/21/12 ***

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
edited October 2012 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Manchester, UK.
Manchester Evening News Arena
Show 2
June 21, 2012

SET LIST:

01. Go
02. Animal
03. Hail Hail
(Ed thanks the crowd for "already bringing it" more than the crowd the previous night. He says on a cold rainy day like today Manchester reminds him of Seattle)
04. I Am Mine
05. Wishlist
(Ed introduces Mike as the "best friend a person can have")
06. Even Flow
07. Lukin
08. Not For You
09. Down
10. Amongst The Waves
11. Daughter/WMA
(Ed discusses the idea of observing and interacting with poorly behaved people serves as an inspiration for how not to behave. He also relates an incident that involved seeing someone on a balcony several stories above the street he was walking that had a needle in his arm. Seeing that inspired him to write "Deep")
12. Deep
13. Present Tense
14. Once
15. Save You
16. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
(Crowd sings first verse and chorus of "Better Man")

Encore Break 1
17. Inside Job
18. Off He Goes
(Ed talks about a couple named Lisa and Tobias that met at Hyde Park when Pearl Jam played there two years ago. He dedicates "Just Breathe" to them.)
19. Just Breathe
(Ed talks about the many firsts that happened in Manchester including the first railway station and splitting the atom. He goes on to say that Pearl Jam is going to something for the first time that is only slightly less important but almost as hard, play "Hitchhiker" for the first time)
20. Hitchhiker
21. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 2
(Ed introduces band members and thanks X for playing with them. He also thanks the fans)
22. Wasted Reprise
23. Life Wasted
24. Alive
25. Sonic Reducer-(Bators, Blitz, Chrome, Magnum, Thomas, Zero)
26. Yellow Ledbetter (Little Wing-Hendrix)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

X Set List: 

01. Your Phone's Off The Hook But You're Not
02. Sex & Dying
03. New World
04. Blue Spark
05. Worlds A Mess, It's In My Kiss
06. Los Angeles
07. Desperate
08. Nausea
09. Breathless
10. Who You Know
11. Johny Hit And Run Pauline
12. Motel Room
(John says "This is for all the Ten Club Members")
13. Devil Doll
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    thank you Kat... :)

what a show!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 981
    Soo much better than last night. Better setlist, band were on it! Good to hear couple songs for the first time, wishlist, off he goes an of course hitchhiker!!! Ed was in a chatty mood, mentioned the crowd was better than last night and the whole band seemed in good spirits.
  • Options
    barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    Thank you Kat!!! What an amazing show!!!

Cheers,
    Barger
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    edited June 2012
    Looking at the setlist, it's surprising how much of an epic show they fit into 26 songs. Easily up there with Dusseldorf '07 even though that was a 30 song set. Goes to show, the arguments over set lengths is completely futile. A great show is a great show :D

....starting to regret skipping Berlin night 2 already.
    Post edited by Pauk on
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    wow. never new this.
    (Ed discusses the idea of observing and interacting with poorly behaved people serves as an inspiration for how not to behave. He also relates an incident that involved seeing someone on a balcony several stories above the street he was walking that had a needle in his arm. Seeing that inspired him to write "Deep")
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,083
    I know I wasn't there, but sorry, I MUST comment...

Hitchhiker? Agh man...I'm so insanely jealous! How was it? Fucking incredible I bet!
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    shawnb199shawnb199 Posts: 133
    Kat wrote:
    03. Hail Hail
    (Ed thanks the crowd for "already bringing it" more than the crowd the previous night. He says on a cold rainy day like today Manchester reminds him of Seattle)

To be more specific, he said tonight's crowd already had more energy than the bankers and accountants who must have come last night.

Point for me. Olivavu - you owe me a drink. But I will say, tonight's crowd was awesome. One of the two or three best I've experienced.

Ask me again in a week, but at the moment I think that the opening set was the best in the 24 shows that I've attended. The encores lost some momentum. Seeing Hitchhiker played for the first time ever was obviously unbelievable, and like all diehards I enjoyed Sonic Reducer, but they both sort of dampened the overall crowd enthusiasm.

RVM and Alive, not surprisingly, blew the roof off of the building.
  • Options
    Falling DownFalling Down Posts: 741
    Hitchhiker! My favorite "new" song from Lost Dogs! Smells and looks like a great 2012 Euro Tour! Can't believe I have tickets for the Prague concert but won't be able to make it...

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    shawnb199 wrote:
    Kat wrote:
    03. Hail Hail

To be more specific, he said tonight's crowd already had more energy than the bankers and accountants who must have come last night.

Point for me. Olivavu - you owe me a drink. But I will say, tonight's crowd was awesome. One of the two or three best I've experienced.

Ask me again in a week, but at the moment I think that the opening set was the best in the 24 shows that I've attended. The encores lost some momentum. Seeing Hitchhiker played for the first time ever was obviously unbelievable, and like all diehards I enjoyed Sonic Reducer, but they both sort of dampened the overall crowd enthusiasm.

:lol: I am an accountant and i was on both nights and i can say that tonight the crowd was much much better than yesterday. Great show , great setlist again , the band in a great mood. Unfortunately the tour for me ends and i have to go back home . Have a great tour my friends and enjoy as much as you can :D
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    kuenstnerkuenstner Zurich, CH Posts: 21
    Another amazing night with a superb and surprising set. We had better seats then last night and enjoyed the show until the last note. The crowd was great and the singalong works perfectly. Highlights: Alive, RVM, Present Tense, Off He Goes, ...

Go as opener worked as good as Release yesterday and everybody was into it from the first second.

THANK YOU PJ AND MANCHESTER FOR TWO AMAZING NIGHTS :)
    ---
    2000-06-23 Zurich
    2006-09-13 Bern
    2007-06-12 Munich
    2012-06-20 Manchester I
    2012-06-21 Manchester II
    2014-06-20 Milano
    2022-06-23 Zurich
  • Options
    BeerbreathBeerbreath Posts: 35
    Wow......the first night was special for me because they opened with Release, BUT tonight was just outstanding......

Go, Animal and HAIL HAIL (yes! No Code!!!) was a great opening....really nailed them and set up a gig with great energy and verve.
    Hitchhiker was brilliant.......Mike just kept looking to his left at the others to see what they were doing! Stone was laughing his ass off with Matt...it was brilliant to see them play this for the first time here.

Present Tense was probably second on my wishlist for these two nights after Release, so the fact that they played it tonight just blew me away.
    Sonic Reducer was the biz.

I think tonight was slightly better than Wednesday. It's a close run thing really.....both nights they played a wonderful selection and some great surprises thrown in....maybe tonight's energy levels were just that bit higher.....and I was closer to the stage on Mike and Jeff's side and really reveled in Mike's extraordinary playing.

So....2 nights back to back of PJ done. I'm so happy. Won't see them again on this Euro tour, but they have left me with more than enough memories and treats from these gigs....... :)
  • Options
    mysameoldfriendmysameoldfriend Tennessee Posts: 227
    This looks like the most perfect setlist ever. I really don't know what I would change....except maybe add "Why Go."
  • Options
    Pry ToPry To Posts: 285
    EPIC show tonight. What a setlist! Better yet, the band was on fire. They really came to rock, obvious from the first note of the first song. The first four songs were just insane, really set the tone for the night. I Am Mine, Hail Hail, Down, Go, Once, Lukin, Not for You, Save You, Present Tense, Inside Job. I mean, come on. Throw in Hitchhiker and you have one seriously classic show. Ed was super chatty and his voice was fantastic; the band was focused and intense throughout. Ed on his knees at one point, flailing on the guitar. It seemed like there were a lot of little improvs and short jams, too. As for the crowd, it seemed like a lot of this was lost on them. Ed did say they were better than last night a few songs in, but it seemed to me like they lost a lot of steam as the show progressed. Almost everyone in the upper tiers was sitting down by the end of the night. The crowd really only seemed to perk up when the hits were played. You could practically hear a pin drop during Down -- no one had a clue. Same with Hitchhiker, really. Guy next to me was checking the soccer scores on his iPhone and looking at his watch every five minutes. He left right after Alive. I guess you can see why they don't play a lot of shows with setlists like this. The audience was there for Better Man, Alive, Even Flow, and Daughter. Me, I was in heaven. One of the best shows I've seen 'em play. What a night!
    Los Angeles - Sep 11, 1992
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Chicago - Aug 23-24, 2009
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Noblesville - May 7, 2010
    Manchester - June 20-21, 2012
    Amsterdam - June 26-27, 2012
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012
  • Options
    Frankie79Frankie79 Cornwall, UK Posts: 203
    really enjoyed the show, thanks pj. great set loved every minute. had a good view of the stage from our seats nice contrast from standing on the first night. wish i was doing the rest of the tour.
    Hyde Park 25/06/10
    MEN Arena 20-21/06/12
    Leeds 08/07/14
    Milton Keynes 11/07/14
    Mexico City 28/11/15
    EV London 6-7/6/17
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    shawnb199 wrote:
    Kat wrote:
    03. Hail Hail

The set started with three upbeat songs and the crowd went wild.

Once it slowed down with numbers like Wishlist etc, it was the same as last night. At least where I was standing - about twenty from the front, in line with Mike.

Was a better setlist tonight and the band also played a bit better too.

The two shows were excellent for me and it was like two parts of one complete experience.

Hitchhiker was a rarity, but I wasn't majorly fussed to hear it. It was more entertaining to see them laughing together as they couldn't remember when to switch from verse to chorus towards the end.

Deep was a real treat. Not heard that live before.

Still not had Breath though!! Desperate for that.

Another awesome night though.
  • Options
    perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 1,996
    Looks like a great setlist. They played Hitchhiker for the first time.......I can't wait for the bootleg!
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    thank you Kat... :)

what a show!!!!!!!!!!!!

66,000+ posts?

Do you ever leave your computer???
  • Options
    pjfansincetenpjfansinceten Santa Monica, CA Posts: 107
    two great nights. glad to be there for the start of '12. hope everyone enjoys their summer and this tour. as for me, won't see them 'til '13.
    91 - 11/22 Detroit (opening for RHCP)
    98 - 7/14 Los Angeles Forum (missed Tenacious D)
    00 - 8/24 Jones Beach, 10/24 Los Angeles Greek (can't find a Better Van!), 25 San Diego & 28 San Bernadino (Glen Helen)
    03 - 6/2 & 3 Irvine, 5 San Diego, 6 Las Vegas MGM (10th Annivesary), 7 Phoenix
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    06 - 7/9 & 10 Los Angeles, 12 Hollywood (Fonda Theatre, it's a Worldwide Suicide), 15 & 16 San Francisco
    08 - 7/12 The Who Tribute at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion! (Love, Reign o'er me! with orchestra)
    09 - 8/23 & 24 Chicago United Center, 9/26 Portland, 9/30, 10/1, 6 & 7 Universal City Amphiteatre, 9 San Diego (2nd row)
    10 - 5/20 & 21 MSG, 10/23 Bridge School
    12 - 6/20 & 21 Manchester, UK
    13 - 11/19 Phoenix, 21 San Diego, 23 & 24 Los Angeles, 12/6 Seattle (finally)!
    14 - 10/16 Detroit, 20 Milwaukee (YIELDED), 22 Denver
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
    18 - 8/18 Wrigley #1 (40th show!), 8/20 Wrigley #2
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Olivavu wrote:
    it was like two parts of one complete experience.
    Definitely. As a double album, the two shows are as good an introduction to Pearl Jam that you're likely to find. Great to see only 3 song overlap too.

Arguments over crowd are null and void though.
    "Crowd" to an audience member = The 20 or so people in their immediate vicinity
    "Crowd" to the band = The entire audience as a single entity

What makes a great crowd for the two are completely different. It's big picture vs little picture.

Not to mention, the crowd for one audience member can be totally different to the crowd for another, depending on where they're standing.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    Superb set. I was there last night, and while it's better than most gigs i've been to this year, it was rather tame by normal PJ standards. Not a bad show, but the opening show of a tour. Tonight was completely different. Almost every song was a "heavy" number. Crowd were pretty flat for Hitchiker but I thought it was cool as fuck to hear a song never played live before. Gave the show that extra special feeling.

Just noticed the comment re two parts of a double CD. Would agree with that completely.

Took a friend who has never seen them before and she was blown away.

Also, shout out to the Argentinian, the dude from Colorado and the Canadian that I discussed Jacques Rougeau with. hope you make it safely round Europe!
  • Options
    StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    Yeah olivavu I'm sorry you didn't get breath. Same for me with In My Tree (although what a No Code night!!!).

Another funny thing was at the end of Alive Mike took off his guitar and was just holding it out (for his tech to take) without looking and then must have suddenly realised when no-one was taking it from him that he didn't change for Sonic Reducer and had to rush to put it back on as the intro started!

They just seemed so much happier than in 09 didn't they. Possibly the temp as it was a lot cooler tonight. 09 was like being in a hot oven with a killer in-built sound system.
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

great way to get a crowd dead...

the thing with rare songs is they really don't know how to play them so it usually sounds very average
    they should try learning an old song they want to finally play live
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

the thing with rare songs is they really don't know how to play them so it usually sounds very average

I thought the middle Jam was awesome.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 2,017
    Love the lukin into not for you!

Present tense and off he goes....man alive!
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
  • Options

Sorry, I respectfully disagree with this completely. It's a live show. It's not supposed to be perfect :)
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

this computer in the beach house has low volume ...i will listen again when i get back home in a few days

i guess the fact that im not crazy about the song in general might have something to do w/ it

ok sorry back to the fanviews
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539

yeah the bridge is where it's at in that song, but I agree neily, crowd was not reacting to it, and that is tenclub folk no?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2