Billy Joel

Comments

• Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    Would love to see him again in the coming months. It's like BJ doing a Vegas gig, except at the Garden.

Agreed. It is like that.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Sat. June 21 added earlier. I'm sure July something is coming. Cool part is all these shows (after the original 2) are weekend nights. MSG is definitely giving him dibs on prime real estate here.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    Save Me wrote:
    Well I was hoping for something more than that. Living in NYC I'm glad I can go see Billy anytime now but I feel it takes the luster of a Billy Joel concert now knowing there's one every month. Will be interesting to see how long the demand holds.

It will hold for at least all of next year. It's cleverly crafted way of playing once a month next year and make sure of sell outs and not burn out. If they announced the remaining 8 shows today and put them on sale, folks would wait. But, with the - this is the last show unless it sells out - undertone - it kind of forces the early purchase. And if it doesn't sell out, they wait to announce the next one, so it does. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Then as a franchise, they can take a few months off and give it a go again. It's really a well designed agreement for both parties (and notice the 3 Friday night dates on the March, April and May shows? MSG doesn't give out weekend nights like that.).

Plus, tickets are very reasonably priced for an act as big as he is in his own hometown.

And I don't understand how it takes the luster off it. If anything, folks may even travel more realizing these are the only dates he's doing for now and you can make a long weekend out of it in NYC.

To your last point I can only speak for myself. I am a diehard Billy fan. You won't find one more diehard than me. Been to over 40 shows, have been in documentaries about him, backstage, etc. When the 1st four dates were announced (pre BJ MSG residency) I tried to buy tickets to every show, thinking every one could be the last one as he rarely performs anymore as I'm sure you know. I scored tickets to 3 of the first 4. Since the residency was announced, 2 more shows have been added (May/June) and I have no interest in going. Why? Because I know there will be one every month and I could go at any time. Less urgency for me. I already know other friends who feel the same way since the announcement. That's how IMO it takes the luster off.

Also about traveling to NYC for a long weekend, sure it's possible. However the ticket prices ain't cheap. 145 each for any decent seat.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Announced today:

February 15, 2014 - Palace at Auburn Hills (Detroit) (was hoping for a birthday show in Hartford)
    February 21, 2014 - Pittsburgh
    June 21, 2014 - MSG
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Save Me wrote:
    Plus, tickets are very reasonably priced for an act as big as he is in his own hometown.

And I don't understand how it takes the luster off it. If anything, folks may even travel more realizing these are the only dates he's doing for now and you can make a long weekend out of it in NYC.

To your last point I can only speak for myself. I am a diehard Billy fan. You won't find one more diehard than me. Been to over 40 shows, have been in documentaries about him, backstage, etc. When the 1st four dates were announced (pre BJ MSG residency) I tried to buy tickets to every show, thinking every one could be the last one as he rarely performs anymore as I'm sure you know. I scored tickets to 3 of the first 4. Since the residency was announced, 2 more shows have been added (May/June) and I have no interest in going. Why? Because I know there will be one every month and I could go at any time. Less urgency for me. I already know other friends who feel the same way since the announcement. That's how IMO it takes the luster off.

Also about traveling to NYC for a long weekend, sure it's possible. However the ticket prices ain't cheap. 145 each for any decent seat.

I see your point, but I don't think it loses its luster. Billy Joel shows are still something special. But, yes - you're not going to need to go to every show. But, that's the beauty of it. Spread the love. More folks get in. I know I've picked out 3 so far to go to. But, you're right - I don't "feel bad" missing the other b/c I have the other opportunities. What's bad about that? You may not be a part of it, but folks around here were bitching PJ doesn't play enough. Now, we're complaining (that is not the right word here either. I know you're not complaining per se) that an act is playing too much? It's only too much when he stops selling out. And that doesn't seem to be a problem.

$145 for a concert is relatively cheap for an act this big (and have you seen the price of Broadway shows? What would you rather see? Kinky Boots or Billy Joel?)
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,265
    Panic at the discounted lead singer, Don Henley, Garth Brooks, and Rufus Wainwright will perform his songs at the Kennedy Center Honors.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Panic at the discounted lead singer, Don Henley, Garth Brooks, and Rufus Wainwright will perform his songs at the Kennedy Center Honors.
    Can't wait to hear Don Henley sing one of Billy's songs. Wonder which one he'll sing?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Can't wait to hear Don Henley sing one of Billy's songs. Wonder which one he'll sing?

She's Got A Way

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... k-20131209
    I miss igotid88
  • Billy's going to beam live from Barclays as first song after New Year's on Dick Clark's rockin' eve
    Billy's going to beam live from Barclays as first song after New Year's on Dick Clark's rockin' eve
    Sick!
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    If anyone happens to have a pair of tickets for the May show that they are selling, please pm.

I'm gonna end up StubHubbing a pair on show day :fp:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    Don Henley - She's Got a Way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DgEIXrc ... e=youtu.be

Garth Brooks - Allentown / Goodnight Saigon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k858E1g ... e=youtu.be

Rufus Wainwright - New York State of Mind / Piano Man
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnRylN1aK40
    I miss igotid88
    I liked it last night. Wasn't a big fan of the guy singing "Big Shot," but I loved Henley singing "She's Got a Way." I really loved the video tribute to him. You could tell Billy was really touched by it all, as I noticed his eyes started to get a little teary during the performances.
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I enjoyed the live feed of You May Be Right. Was really wishing they played more even before or after. Really makes me want to travel to NYC to see Billy at the Garden. I ended up listening to some of his hits after the feed went away. Rang in the New Year with the Piano Man. :)
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    youngster wrote:
    I enjoyed the live feed of You May Be Right. Was really wishing they played more even before or after. Really makes me want to travel to NYC to see Billy at the Garden. I ended up listening to some of his hits after the feed went away. Rang in the New Year with the Piano Man. :)
    Not a bad way to ring in the new year. I was hoping they'd show more songs but am happy they showed one of my favorites.
    Last night's recap from Rolling Stone and the setlist from setlist.fm. This just proves I need to see him live this year. I will see him. Don't know when or where, but I will.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... n-20140101

Billy Joel Leads Hometown Sing-Alongs at New Year's Show in Brooklyn
    The capacity crowd was treated to huge hits along with deep cuts like "Where's the Orchestra"

Billy Joel was exactly one hour into his New Year's Eve show at Brooklyn's Barclays Center when it came time to select one final song before the ball dropped at midnight. Instead of slaying the capacity crowd with a huge hit, he reached way back to 1974's Streetlife Serenade and resurrected the super obscurity "Souvenir." "And your memories will turn to dust," he sang without any accompaniment from his large band. "But that's the price you pay/For ev'ry year is a souvenir/That slowly fades away."

Almost nobody in the crowd seemed to know the tune, but they still listened to the sad, reflective song in awed silence — or at least they were as silent as 20,000 drunk Billy Joel fans can be in the final moments before midnight strikes on New Year's Eve. When it ended, Joel counted down to the big moment about 30 seconds early, and then botched it again when he realized his mistake and started the count over. Nobody cared. As confetti rained down upon the audience, the entire place was singing "Auld Lang Syne" and dancing in the aisles.

The celebratory night (Joel's first New York arena show since 2006) began shortly before 11:00 p.m. after a spirited set by a reunited Ben Folds Five. Joel kicked things off with "Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)." It's essentially a science fiction tale about America turning into absolute chaos after New York is destroyed in 2017. When he wrote it nearly 40 years ago he couldn't have possibly imagined singing it at a Brooklyn hockey arena just three years before the ludicrously far-off year of 2017. But there he was causing the place to go ballistic with the line "We held a concert out in Brooklyn to watch the island bridges blow."

Joel addressed the crowd when the song ended. "This is actually the first time I've played Brooklyn since I was about 17," he said. "I was in the band in the mid-1960s called the Lost Souls. We used to always play for these guys in Bay Ridge. They paid us real good, lots of cash. We went into the house, set up in the living room and everything looked like it came off the back of a truck. We were chasing after their daughters and stuff. I didn't know who these people were! Then I saw Goodfellas and figured it out. I could have gotten whacked!"

The New York-themed songs continued with "New York State of Mind," but then Joel put the hits aside for a bit to focus on lesser-known tunes like the mournful "Where the Orchestra" and the ebullient/obsessive "All for Leyna." "Until the Night" from 1978's 52nd Street clearly tested the audience's patience, but Joel has made it known he has no interest in only performing songs you hear every day on the radio. He hasn't made a pop album in over 20 years, so dusting off the Christie Brinkley tribute "Blonde Over Blue" as opposed to the more obvious "Uptown Girl" makes a lot of sense, even if it causes some people to check their e-mail or get a beer.

New Year's Rockin' Eve was supposed to cut in live around 12:05 a.m. and Joel timed it so "Big Shot" would end right before that, but things were running a little behind at ABC. "They changed it?" Joel said. "It's two minutes from right now? I could have played another song!" To kill the time, he lead the band through his 1974 instrumental "Root Beer Rag" before he was given the green light. The television audience got to hear a rollicking "You May Be Right," and the final hour of the show was largely devoted to huge crowd pleasers like "River of Dreams" and "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant."

Brooklyn is technically part of Long Island, and Joel's army of fans from the area filled every inch of the arena. It's quite possible that nobody was happier to be a part of the experience than Mike DelGuidice, lead singer of the Billy Joel tribute band Big Shot. In a story straight out of a movie, DelGuidice was actually hired to play guitar and sing back-up in Joel's band a couple of months ago. The two of them have a remarkably similar look and voice, and watching them harmonize and interact onstage was wonderfully surreal.

It's not exactly like Joel needs a lot of help in the singing department, though. His voice is remarkably powerful and sounds almost exactly like it did back in the 1970s. Many of his peers go to ridiculous lengths to look young, while their increasingly deep and strained voices reveal their actual age. Joel has never made even the slightest effort to mask his age, but somehow his vocal cords remain frozen in time.

As always, the main set wrapped up "Piano Man." It's easy to imagine that Joel would be happy to never sing that again, but it's hard to hold something back that's guaranteed to make 20,000 people deliriously happy. The encore began with "We Didn't Start the Fire and closed out with "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" and "Only the Good Die Young."

Just like in the old days, Joel twirled the mic stand around during "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" and threw it a good 10 feet into the air. He's a wonderful showman, and this gig was a perfect way to kick off a very busy year. He's playing Madison Square Garden once a month for the indefinite future and going on his first solo tour since 2008. Just a year ago it seemed like he was retired, but something clearly motivated him to recommit to his career.

Mike DelGuidice is going along for the ride, but less than 24 hours after walking offstage at the Barclays Center he's going to play BB Kings Blues Club in Times Square with his Billy Joel tribute band. Imagine playing "Piano Man" twice in the same day: once with Billy Joel at an arena and the other time in a basement club. Somebody's 2014 is off to a very magical start.

Setlist

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/billy-joe ... 4405e.html

1. Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)
    2. Everybody Loves You Now
    3. New York State of Mind
    4. All For Leyna
    5. Until the Night
    6. A Room of Our Own
    7. Where's the Orchestra
    8. Allentown
    9. I've Loved These Days
    10. The Entertainer
    11. She's Always a Woman
    12. Big Shot
    13. Souvenir
    14. Root Beer Rag
    15. You May Be Right
    16. Auld Lang Syne
    17. Pressure
    18. Blonde Over Blue
    19. Zanzibar
    20. Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
    21. River of Dreams
    22. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
    23. Piano Man

Encore
    24. We Didn't Start the Fire
    25. It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
    26. Only the Good Die Young
  • All for Leyna.

Sweet. Hope he plays that at MSG. Needs to add Sleeping with the Television On. This MSG run is going to be awesome.
    All for Leyna.

Sweet. Hope he plays that at MSG. Needs to add Sleeping with the Television On. This MSG run is going to be awesome.
    And "Sometimes a Fantasy."
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Interesting article in Forbes about the run and secondary market pricing...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jesselawren ... will-last/
    Just found this video of Billy performing at UConn in 1976. So awesome!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg18uXjd4ng

Also, I can't stop listening to "Leningrad." Vastly underrated song by Billy.
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Also, I can't stop listening to "Leningrad." Vastly underrated song by Billy.

Funny - I heard this I think it was on the Kennedy Center thing, and said to myself - I don't think I've ever heard him play that in concert. Another one I hope gets into rotation at the Garden this year.
    Love Leningrad. Billy looks great. Definitely dropped a bunch of pounds. 1st show of the tour is in 5 days in Sunrise, Florida.

That New Years Eve setlist is fantastic. Love that he's brought Pressure back, an awesome live song. Glad he did Souvenir as well. I'm hearing he's changed the guitar solo in Blonde Over Blue to a sax solo. Be interesting to see how that sounds. I love the guitar solo on the recorded version.

My 1st MSG show is the January one. Can't wait.
  • Billy Joel is coming at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto on Sunday, March 9. Tickets go on sale this Friday, with an AMEX pre-sale this Wednesday.
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    edited January 2014
    Just picked up Turnstiles on vinyl, now I need an Innocent Man!...:D
    Post edited by thefixer9 on
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!

All for Leyna.

He played "Sleeping with the Television On" last night in Florida.
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Just announced that Billy is coming to the YUM center in Louisville! Woohoo, first time ever that I don't have to travel to see him!

And these set lists look great. SO glad he is mixing in some rarities and not ending with Piano Man. After all the traveling we've done to see him, we now get the opportunity to take our daughter to see him. I definitely thought he was done/close to done on the touring and that we'd never get to take her to see Billy. Now if only PJ would come to Louisville :)
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Newch91 said:

All for Leyna.

He played "Sleeping with the Television On" last night in Florida.
    :-bd

Can't wait for the 27th!
  • I was able to buy a pair of tickets for his Toronto show on Sunday, March 9 thanks to the AMEX Front of the Line pre-sale on Wednesday. It was my dad's card, but he's coming with me so it's all good. We have decent seats, but I figured it's better than nothing. Looked for fun today just to see if I could get better seats, but no luck at all.
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Got our seats through the Amex presale as well. Not bad seats - can't wait!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Hey Billy, head on up to New England.....
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.