Options

Billy Joel

Comments

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    djklambake wrote:
    The man is an institution. I've seen him twice in my life. My first concert ever as well.

Wouldn't mind catching him again.

He's definitely rockin it tonight.
    Agreed. Amazing live. Last time I saw him was 2000 I believe.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    He was incredible last night. For my money (which I paid to go) he was the best act of the night but I'm bias. His voice was incredible. No one does it quite like Billy. He knocked it out of the park last night and owns MSG.

As for a tour I think we can sadly count that out. He was pretty much retired before this concert. He just hangs out at his motorcyle shop in osyter bay.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Hell yeah I'm a fan. I wanted to see his tour with Elton John a few years back but the tickets were too high. My wife and I both love his stuff. Even the 80's stuff. I like that doo wop shit.
  • Options
    FDFD2A14-2C90-4819-B99D-C6BFB831472F-16611-0000084E2FCE5ADB.jpg

:D
  • Options

Wow!!! Great shot! Thanks for posting. My 2 musical heros together. That's the 1st pic I've ever seen of them together. Awesome.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I'm so stoked that the 12/12/12 brought THE MAN back into the spotlight. One of my favorite artists...so cool to see him get up there and kill it...and to see so many people really enjoy it!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I'm so stoked that the 12/12/12 brought THE MAN back into the spotlight. One of my favorite artists...so cool to see him get up there and kill it...and to see so many people really enjoy it!

Me too. He's the Master. Can't get over how good he sounded.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Great pic of the two of them together.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560

:shock: :o:D :thumbup: :clap: That is just an incredible picture.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Newch91 wrote:
    Please tour! He is killing it right now.

Yeah, I've always had so much respect for him hope his through all his alleged personal issue, which may have hopefully only been rumors, and is able to tour again; such a talent!
  • Options
    Trying to make a Billy mix and just realized it is difficult to do. So many terrific songs!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Trying to make a Billy mix and just realized it is difficult to do. So many terrific songs!

I'm on a Nylon Curtain kick. Amazing album, my favorite by him as it's his darkest. His favorite too by his own admission. And of course it's so Beatlesque which makes it even more awesome. Suprises, Scandanavian Skies & Laura. Amazing songs.

Also on a Summer/Highland Falls kick. Trying to find the best live version. I love the version off of Songs in the Attic but I think my favorite is now the one off of CW Post in 1977. It's just so vibrant and his voice is incredible. That may just be his greatest song but it's so hard to pick.
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I'm on a Nylon Curtain kick. Amazing album, my favorite by him as it's his darkest. His favorite too by his own admission. And of course it's so Beatlesque which makes it even more awesome. Suprises, Scandanavian Skies & Laura. Amazing songs.

Also on a Summer/Highland Falls kick. Trying to find the best live version. I love the version off of Songs in the Attic but I think my favorite is now the one off of CW Post in 1977. It's just so vibrant and his voice is incredible. That may just be his greatest song but it's so hard to pick.

All For Leyna is off Houses is one of my favorite songs. Hidden gem.

Favorite quote:

"People who pay for your tickets, I don't think they want to hear who you're going to vote for and how you think they should vote."
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Always enjoyed his music.
    Really love his reworked " Lights Go Down On Broadway"
    that he did for Sandy relief.
    He incorporated the entire geographic areas affected, including the Rockaways.

:thumbup:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Save Me wrote:

Wow!!! Great shot! Thanks for posting. My 2 musical heros together. That's the 1st pic I've ever seen of them together. Awesome.

Would have been awesome if they had sung a song together! The hardest part would have been picking just one song.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    I got an email from his site saying his online store is having a 15% sale of his album box set. It said to enter HolidayComplete in the coupon section. I did and I get this: "Invalid coupon. Please try again." Really? Someone at his site must have screwed this up.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
  • Options
    Billy to perform at the New Orleans Jazz Fest. Possible tour??

http://www.billyjoel.com/news/billy-joe ... april-27th
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

I wondered the same thing - a girl can hope :) BJ and PJ tour in the same year would be amazing 8-)

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I wondered the same thing - a girl can hope :) BJ and PJ tour in the same year would be amazing 8-)
    Agreed. Give me another Springsteen US tour this year, plus PJ and BJ, and that would make my year.
  • Options
    one of my favorites as well.

tomorrow is today, and got to begin again are the two most underrated songs he has.
    7/5/03 - Camden N1
    6/19/08 - Camden N1
    9/2/12 - Philly

Philadelphia! We're all still Alive!
  • Options
    Some cool Billy updates. First is a eulogy he wrote in Rolling Stone for legendary producer Phil Ramone who passed away a few days ago. Phil produced Billy's albums from The Stranger through The Bridge. Some incredible stories from back in the day in this great piece.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/billy-joel-pays-tribute-to-phil-ramone-he-was-the-king-20130403

2nd, while it's not as great as hearing about a new album, this could be the next best thing. Billy wants to do album concerts. This I would absolutely love. Says its for the longtime fans. I've been to over 30 Billy shows and this would be awesome. Would love to see The Nylon Curtain done complete in concert. We should know more about his plans after his 2 festival gigs this month but this would be great.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/billy-joel-considering-complete-album-concerts-working-with-elton-john-again-20130404
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:
    Some cool Billy updates. First is a eulogy he wrote in Rolling Stone for legendary producer Phil Ramone who passed away a few days ago. Phil produced Billy's albums from The Stranger through The Bridge. Some incredible stories from back in the day in this great piece.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/billy-joel-pays-tribute-to-phil-ramone-he-was-the-king-20130403

2nd, while it's not as great as hearing about a new album, this could be the next best thing. Billy wants to do album concerts. This I would absolutely love. Says its for the longtime fans. I've been to over 30 Billy shows and this would be awesome. Would love to see The Nylon Curtain done complete in concert. We should know more about his plans after his 2 festival gigs this month but this would be great.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/billy-joel-considering-complete-album-concerts-working-with-elton-john-again-20130404
    I was just about to post the one about the concerts. I really hope he finds those gigs to be a success. I really want to see him live. I wouldn't mind hearing "Turnstiles" or "52nd Street" in full. I'll make sure to learn every song of his on the studio albums so I'm not like "What song is this?" during the show. If we can't get a new album, at least a tour would be great to have.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I did a full run through of his albums last month and you knos what: River of dreams is a really good album. I was really into Billy back in 93 when it came out and my dad bought it for me ( I was 11). That song got so cheesy that i shelved the whole disc for the last 20 years. Let it spin last month and was pretty impressed.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    youngster wrote:
    I did a full run through of his albums last month and you knos what: River of dreams is a really good album. I was really into Billy back in 93 when it came out and my dad bought it for me ( I was 11). That song got so cheesy that i shelved the whole disc for the last 20 years. Let it spin last month and was pretty impressed.
    Currently going through his albums now. Just started "Glass Houses" now. Such a great opener. I love "River of Dreams" and "Lullaby," but that's because I haven't listened to the album yet. Billy has always been one of my all-time favorites for over ten years but I am not just starting to listen to his albums. My dad has most of them on vinyl and I'm just now starting to listen to them. :fp:
  • Options
    That's awesome. You guys should start at the beginning with Cold Spring Harbor. The evolution from piano based singer/songwriter to full on rock star is incredible.

I too love the River Of Dreams album. No Man's Land, Great Wall of China and Famous Last Words are really great tunes and Shades Of Grey is one of my all time favorite Billy songs.
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:
    That's awesome. You guys should start at the beginning with Cold Spring Harbor. The evolution from piano based singer/songwriter to full on rock star is incredible.

I too love the River Of Dreams album. No Man's Land, Great Wall of China and Famous Last Words are really great tunes and Shades Of Grey is one of my all time favorite Billy songs.

Agreed. So many great gems on CSH but BJ live is even better, especially for this album. WIshing I was able to see him at Jazzfest but really hoping that he does a tour!

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Happy Birthday, Piano Man!
  • Options
    64 years young. I listened to some Cold Spring Harbor yesterday. Man I still cannot believe the lyrics on that album were written by a 21/22 year old. Insane.
  • Options
    "Miami 2017" is on the page.

http://www.billyjoel.com/news/billy-joe ... erformance

(Dallas, Texas – May 23, 2013) Billy Joel, together with AXS TV and New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, are releasing his 4-song 2013 Jazz Fest broadcast performance exclusively on BillyJoel.com to fans worldwide. This extraordinary event launches today and will continue for the next 3 weeks with Joel posting one song, in set order to his website. Joel’s performance, and the opportunity to make it available beyond the festival, encapsulates the vision of AXS TV and Jazz Fest’s partnership to bring music fans everywhere a true live music experience with the spirit of Americana and New Orleans culture.

The legendary performer opened his set telling the tens of thousands of fans in the crowd along with the viewers at home that “New York takes its inspiration from New Orleans,” referencing the kindred cities hurricane disasters, as he kicked off his 4-song broadcast set with "Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out on Broadway)." "Big Man on Mulberry Street" followed. Joel continued his nod to the culture and music history of New Orleans with his third song saying, “We haven’t done this in a long time, but we’ve gotta play this song in New Orleans,” as he and his seven piece band performed the 1974 instrumental "Root Beer Rag." Joel closed his television performance with a rousing rendition of fan favorite "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant" from 1977’s The Stranger that also included the Preservation Hall Jazz Band of New Orleans.