Options

Billy Joel

Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
edited January 2014 in Other Music
Any Billy Joel fans here? I was a big fan when I was 10, 11 years old, took a break from listening, and have been listening to him a lot lately after watching his documentary, "Last Play at Shea", and listening to my dad's vinyl of the albums he has of his.
Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
"Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NarcisoNarciso Posts: 194
    Yes! My first concert was in 3rd grade on his Innocent Man Tour. 1984? The Stranger is classic.
    Slipped on a curb in the road.
  • Options
    Narciso wrote:
    Yes! My first concert was in 3rd grade on his Innocent Man Tour. 1984? The Stranger is classic.
    That's awesome! He had a good album run from "Turnstiles" to about "The Nylon Curtain".
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030
    Yes! I've seen him live three times, after the Storm Front album. Great performer, great catalog of music! :thumbup:
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Newch91 wrote:
    Narciso wrote:
    That's awesome! He had a good album run from "Turnstiles" to about "The Nylon Curtain".

Turnstiles is my favorite Billy Joel record, Summer Highland Falls such a great song.
  • Options
    marcos wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Narciso wrote:

Turnstiles is my favorite Billy Joel record, Summer Highland Falls such a great song.
    Fantastic album. Prelude/Angry Young Man is one of my favorite Joel songs. I love listening to that song LOUD.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    sorry to not go with deep cuts here but his greatest hits 1 n 2...only stuff i've every heard..

disc one...is really really amazing...

disc 2...we'll its ok...but mostly 80's stuff...

my uncle turned us on (my cousin and best friends) to his disc 1,.. when we were just 21 yrs old...

just old enough to have had a couple of real good broken hearts under my belt along with a couple of deep addictions as well...

I rocked that shit til i was 25 at least...

never really have ever heard any of his regular albums though...assume they are very tight though...

Sadly...only time ever got to see him live...bout 3 years ago...horrible nose bleed seats in 20,000 seat arena...(usually when i end up with them seats,..i move down,..but was with a few other couples")

95% of crowd sat/expressionless the whole show...most of them never heard "Captain Jack" when he played it...i just couldn't take it anymore and had to get up and dance to that one...

i miss the old smoky venues where the floor was standing and the seats were for the "ol folks"...
    ya...i'll b 40 here in a few months so..some day, i'll appreciate the chairs....
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Fantastic album. Prelude/Angry Young Man is one of my favorite Joel songs. I love listening to that song LOUD.

Yes and having heard him discuss the background of New State of Mind & Miami 2017, I even like those songs though I'm a Philly boy, just a fantastic record.
  • Options
    curly wrote:
    sorry to not go with deep cuts here but his greatest hits 1 n 2...only stuff i've every heard..

my uncle turned us on (my cousin and best friends) to his disc 1,.. when we were just 21 yrs old...

just old enough to have had a couple of real good broken hearts under my belt along with a couple of deep addictions as well...

never really have ever heard any of his regular albums though...assume they are very tight though...

Sadly...only time ever got to see him live...bout 3 years ago...horrible nose bleed seats in 20,000 seat arena...(usually when i end up with them seats,..i move down,..but was with a few other couples")

95% of crowd sat/expressionless the whole show...most of them never heard "Captain Jack" when he played it...i just couldn't take it anymore and had to get up and dance to that one...

i miss the old smoky venues where the floor was standing and the seats were for the "ol folks"...
    ya...i'll b 40 here in a few months so..some day, i'll appreciate the chairs....
    Check out "The Stranger". His best album.
  • Options
    marcos wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Yes and having heard him discuss the background of New State of Mind & Miami 2017, I even like those songs though I'm a Philly boy, just a fantastic record.
    I'm gonna have to dig up my dad's vinyl of that album and listen to it this weekend.

Did you see "The Last Play at Shea"?
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    marcos wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I'm gonna have to dig up my dad's vinyl of that album and listen to it this weekend.

Did you see "The Last Play at Shea"?

Didn't see it yet, but I heard his interview with Howard Stern last year or so when he was promoting the movie and he discussed many of his songs in detail, a great interview regardless of what people think of Stern. I plan on watching it eventually, I was always a fan of Joel's music but listening to him discuss the meaning of his songs and the emotions he felt about NYC helped me to gain a greater appreciation of him and his music.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    Due ly noted...
    The Stranger...

I'm hoping since i noted how much i loved the earlier stuff... The Stranger will suite me best...

Lookin' to buy my first record player this summer since the 80's...

I'll try and pick up the Stranger...

thanks for the tip...

Newch91 wrote:
    curly wrote:

• Options
    curly wrote:
    Due ly noted...
    The Stranger...

I'm hoping since i noted how much i loved the earlier stuff... The Stranger will suite me best...

thanks for the tip...

Newch91 wrote:
    curly wrote:

No problem. The last 6 songs on the first disc of the greatest hits album are from "The Stranger".
  • Options
    NarcisoNarciso Posts: 194
    Have you ever heard or seen "Kohuept (Live in Leningrad)". Great live show! He gets pissed and flips his piano. Maybe the best crowd ever.
    Slipped on a curb in the road.
  • Options
    I'd love to get the complete albums collection that came out in November but don't have $200 to shell out for it.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I've never seen him live, but I'm a fan.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Fond memories of Billy Joel (although I think he's kind of an asshole)... I used to listen to him all the time. His River of Dreams tour that came through Chicago in 93 or 94 (I think?) was my first concert ever. It was pretty damn awesome. Saw him again in Milwaukee about 8 years later... Took my parents to that one (they're both from Allentown... they've got fond memories of him from way back). It was pretty decent... I like the guy's music, but he's a pretty arrogant son of a bitch.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    "We are California's premier 80's Billy Joel tribute band. So let's keep it in the 80's, and keep it fresh.

"Play something from "The Stranger"

"We only do 80's Joel, sir."

"80's Billy Joel doo - wop sucks"

"Listen motherfucker, we only do 80's Joel! So take your skank hooker wife and get the fuc out of here.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Finally! Billy Joel is my other obsession. I agree with a previous poster that mentioned the crowd at his concerts. The last 2 shows I went to (2009) were so lame because the crowd just sat there! When they don't know Captain Jack....... Summer, Highland Falls is one of my favorites but I love some of his unreleased material the best. I have tons and tons of bootlegs and the early 70s shows are the best. Those small venues with amped up crowds. Billy is really interacting with the crowd and not just telling the same stories about each song and he really mixed up his setlists unlike shows today that are primarily greatest hits. If you've never heard any of his master class series you should definitely check those out. Short song clips but he spends more time interacting with the crowd and answering qeustions.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Newch91 wrote:
    Any Billy Joel fans here? I was a big fan when I was 10, 11 years old, took a break from listening, and have been listening to him a lot lately after watching his documentary, "Last Play at Shea", and listening to my dad's vinyl of the albums he has of his.

Huge fan. Growing up on LI, there's really no choice. My first show ever was him at the Coliseum in '86. I've since seen him a number of times including Last Play at Shea (night 1 which was supposed to be the actual last play, but let's play 2!!! - Not complaining). He puts on a great show and his entire catalog is incredible. However, I tend to side with his lesser known stuff - Laura, All For Leyna, Root Beer Rag.

He's definitely been through a few phases, but I find his unhappier times are actually his better albums (Glass Houses, Nylon Curtain, etc.), but still love Innocent Man, etc.

He also gave hope to all us average (?) looking LI boys when he dated Elle and married Christie. :lol:

And of course, My Life was the song I'd sing to my parents whenever they'd punish me as a little kid. :oops:

A did you know? His original stage name in the early 70s was Bill Martin (his middle name). :shock:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    youngster wrote:
    "We are California's premier 80's Billy Joel tribute band. So let's keep it in the 80's, and keep it fresh.

"Play something from "The Stranger"

"We only do 80's Joel, sir."

"80's Billy Joel doo - wop sucks"

"Listen motherfucker, we only do 80's Joel! So take your skank hooker wife and get the fuc out of here.
    :lol: I feel like I've heard this somewhere but don't know.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Huge fan. Growing up on LI, there's really no choice. My first show ever was him at the Coliseum in '86. I've since seen him a number of times including Last Play at Shea (night 1 which was supposed to be the actual last play, but let's play 2!!! - Not complaining). He puts on a great show and his entire catalog is incredible. However, I tend to side with his lesser known stuff - Laura, All For Leyna, Root Beer Rag.

He's definitely been through a few phases, but I find his unhappier times are actually his better albums (Glass Houses, Nylon Curtain, etc.), but still love Innocent Man, etc.

He also gave hope to all us average (?) looking LI boys when he dated Elle and married Christie. :lol:

And of course, My Life was the song I'd sing to my parents whenever they'd punish me as a little kid. :oops:

A did you know? His original stage name in the early 70s was Bill Martin (his middle name). :shock:
    I just watched "Last Play at Shea" this weekend and now my dad is in the hunt for the CD of the show. Was night 1 with Paul McCartney or night 2?

I'm sure he gave up hope to a lot average looking boys across the country when he married Christie. :lol:
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    saw Billy a few times in the mid to late 80s at the Spectrum. great fucking shows. so many great songs. and love Summer in Highland Falls. Not enough piano in rock anymore.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Whoa, yes!!! The Stranger and Glass Houses...my solid go-tos when I'm in drinking beast mode :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    I'm glad someone started this thread. I'm a diehard Billy fan. He's my #1 favorite artist w/PJ 2nd. His music was the soundtrack of my early life. I'm also a singer/songwriter so I appreciate his writing which is on another level.

I love his deeper album cuts like Zanzibar (from 52nd Street), And So It Goes & Downeaster Alexa (Storm Front), Shades Of Grey (River Of Dreams) and the list goes on. I believe his non hits really show what kind of an artist he is. He could write in any style of music from jazz to country to doo-op to straight out rock. I've been to over 30 shows including the 1st ever concert at Yankee stadium in 1990. Went to 15 shows in 5 different states for his 2006 tour which was amazing because he was mixing up the set lists a ton. Doing a lot of album tracks like All For Leyna, Stilleto, Zanzibar and more. He even opened the 1st show in Sunrise w/Piano Man and closed it w/Famous Last Words. The crowd was stunned. I was in heaven. I think my favorite album is The Nylon Curtain. It's his darkest album and was recorded at the time Lennon was killed. There's a HUGE Beatles influence on the album (Scandanavian Skies, Suprises).

It saddens me that he hasn't written anything since River as an artist like that just has so much to say. I'd love to be hearing his thoughts on the world today and his life through his music but he just stopped. I think a ton of stuff in his personal life took a toll on him and I also think he got tired writing stuff that was so personal about him and his life.

I was lucky enough to go backstage at a Philly show in 2006 and also appeared in a documentary about his record breaking 12 sold out shows at Madison Square Garden in 2006. If anyone's interested the MSG doc is below. I'm "Billy Joel Fan-Paul Maged" on the doc. I appear somewhere after 2 minutes. It's a really good little doc on those amazing shows plus I added a couple of pics from that tour in 2006. He's an exceptional live artist. The voice, the musicianship, just awesome. And his band's always tight. Though I do miss Liberty on the kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1LxOmdEbdE

BillyCoolatpianocopy-avatar.jpg

Billy-Sunrise-WeDidntStart-2-Avatar.jpg

2007-Billyguitarcool.jpg
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Newch91 wrote:
    I just watched "Last Play at Shea" this weekend and now my dad is in the hunt for the CD of the show. Was night 1 with Paul McCartney or night 2?

I'm sure he gave up hope to a lot average looking boys across the country when he married Christie. :lol:

Nope. Mellencamp (who was crap - I hate him, but yet he got bigger ovations than the others) and Mayer (who just played guitar, which was awesome) and Don Henley (another stellar performance on Boys of Summer), Tony Bennett (who was meh). He did play Please Please Me in a tip to the Beatles.

The REAL Last Play (night 2) got Paul (which I understand, but is sort of crappy the way it went down, but oh, well - and like he couldn't do BOTH nights instead of us getting John Cougar Mellenball?!?), Steven Tyler and Roger Daltrey (they also got Tony Bennett).

I have a mediocre boot of night 1. Got it cheap, and just wanted it for posterity. Don't really listen to it much b/c the quality is so-so.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Ridiculous catalog of great songs. One of the first songs I used to sing as a child was "My Life"
    I own the majority of his records on vinyl.
    Was at the Wachovia Center Show back in 2000(i think) in Philly when the raised the banner for recognition for the amount of sellout shows he's played in Philly.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    curly wrote:
    Due ly noted...
    The Stranger...

thanks for the tip...

pm me your address
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    My interest in Billy Joel was also reignited after watching "Last Play at Shea"!

One of my earliest music obsessed memories is me begging my parents to let me stay up every night for the "Top Five at 9" on the radio to hear It's Still Rock & Roll To Me. And since it was always at the #1 spot, I got to stay up super late. :lol: I was so desperate to record it - but the DJ always wanted to talk over it!
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Love love love...

Seen him 10-12 times over the years... I guess starting with Glass Houses...

Had them all on vinyl back in the day...
    I think my dad had 4 8 tracks of the stranger but kept wearing them out...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Save Me wrote:
    I'm glad someone started this thread. I'm a diehard Billy fan. He's my #1 favorite artist w/PJ 2nd. His music was the soundtrack of my early life. I'm also a singer/songwriter so I appreciate his writing which is on another level.

I love his deeper album cuts like Zanzibar (from 52nd Street), And So It Goes & Downeaster Alexa (Storm Front), Shades Of Grey (River Of Dreams) and the list goes on. I believe his non hits really show what kind of an artist he is. He could write in any style of music from jazz to country to doo-op to straight out rock. I've been to over 30 shows including the 1st ever concert at Yankee stadium in 1990. Went to 15 shows in 5 different states for his 2006 tour which was amazing because he was mixing up the set lists a ton. Doing a lot of album tracks like All For Leyna, Stilleto, Zanzibar and more. He even opened the 1st show in Sunrise w/Piano Man and closed it w/Famous Last Words. The crowd was stunned. I was in heaven. I think my favorite album is The Nylon Curtain. It's his darkest album and was recorded at the time Lennon was killed. There's a HUGE Beatles influence on the album (Scandanavian Skies, Suprises).

It saddens me that he hasn't written anything since River as an artist like that just has so much to say. I'd love to be hearing his thoughts on the world today and his life through his music but he just stopped. I think a ton of stuff in his personal life took a toll on him and I also think he got tired writing stuff that was so personal about him and his life.

I was lucky enough to go backstage at a Philly show in 2006 and also appeared in a documentary about his record breaking 12 sold out shows at Madison Square Garden in 2006. If anyone's interested the MSG doc is below. I'm "Billy Joel Fan-Paul Maged" on the doc. I appear somewhere after 2 minutes. It's a really good little doc on those amazing shows plus I added a couple of pics from that tour in 2006. He's an exceptional live artist. The voice, the musicianship, just awesome. And his band's always tight. Though I do miss Liberty on the kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1LxOmdEbdE

BillyCoolatpianocopy-avatar.jpg

Billy-Sunrise-WeDidntStart-2-Avatar.jpg

2007-Billyguitarcool.jpg

I have a bootleg of that Sunrise show and you're right that crowd is stunned. Would have loved to be there because it was an amazing setlist!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE