Options

Billy Joel

Comments

• Options
    Not surprisingly, all 4 MSG shows are sold out.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Incredible. I'm waiting to see if a May show will be announced.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

They have to wait to see if the Knicks are in the playo....Oh, wait. Never mind.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

They have to wait to see if the Knicks are in the playo....Oh, wait. Never mind.
    :lol::lol: I started reading that and in my head I was saying, "This is guy is crazy."
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Seeing him in Sunrise FL in January... have seen him outside NY once before... it's not the same :|
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    An album a show all year? Last tour? New album??

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... k-20131126

Billy Joel to Make 'Historic Announcement' Next Week
    What's up the singer's sleeve? Our guesses

Billy Joel just announced that he will hold a press conference at Madison Square Garden on December 3rd to make an "exclusive and historic announcement." Neither he nor the arena have given indication of what they are going to announce, but the moment will be broadcast live on Fuse, the MSG Network and BillyJoel.com.

It's doubtful they're announcing that Joel is the new center for the Knicks, so it obviously has something to do with his concerts. He's announced four MSG shows in 2014 so far: on January 27th, February 3rd, March 21st and April 18th. Ticket sales were very strong, though it's a little odd he's only doing one a month.

Might he be planning an unprecedented one-show-a-month residency at Madison Square Garden for all of 2014? He could easily sell out all the shows, and it would mean he doesn't have to schlep all over the country. He sold out 12 nights at MSG in 2006 without any difficulty and could easily repeat the feat. He could probably do five nights a month all year long and sell those out. He has a huge fanbase around New York.

Twelve Madison Square Garden shows, even one a month, doesn't seem like a "historic" announcement, though. Might they have something more up their sleeves? This past April, he did tell Rolling Stone that he's contemplating complete album shows. "I got tired of doing the greatest hits set," he said. "If I was going to play again in places like New York, I would probably feature entire albums. It would give me a chance to do songs we haven't played. . . We'd do one album and then play some obscurities. I enjoy playing those more than I enjoy playing the hits."

Billy Joel does have 12 pop albums, making the one-show-a-month plan feasible. It would also give him plenty of time to learn all the songs. Fans would travel from all over the world and the shows would be actually historic. It would mean he'd have to play The Bridge and Cold Spring Harbor, two albums he's slagged off in the past, too.

There is a strong chance we're reading too much into this. He might merely be announcing that he plans to beat his 12-show record by doing 13, or he might be announcing he's going to do three or four of his most popular albums a few times each. Maybe it's even going to be a farewell run, though that seems unlikely. We'll have to wait until next Tuesday to know for sure, but here's hoping he's feeling super-ambitious and plans to play his whole catalog.
  • Options
    i'm looking for 3 tickets (will buy 4 if the odd number is a problem) for Billy Joel either the March 21 or April 18 show at MSG.
    PM if you have any tix to sell.

-jay
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,398
    I wonder who will perform his songs at the Kennedy Center Honors
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    Maybe Elton will be one?
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Maybe Elton will be one?

Don Henley? John Mayer? Tony Bennett?

Obviously guessing folks that did a song with him at Shea a few years ago.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I say Tony Bennett is a lock for NY State of Mind. He's a prior honoree and is a perfect fit for that song if his voice is in decent shape.

Billy, Santana and Herbie Hancock on stage togeher? That should be awesome. (and for folks who don't know Herbie is incredible. Don't just think of him as the guy with the robot video. He started out with Miles Davis. 'nough said.)
  • Options
    Finishing up going through his base catalog. Started last night. He is so good. I don't think he's written a bad song.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,398
    Newch91 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Maybe Elton will be one?

Now that I'm thinking of it, I say Tony Bennett is a lock for NY State of Mind. He's a prior honoree and is a perfect fit for that song if his voice is in decent shape.

Billy, Santana and Herbie Hancock on stage togeher? That should be awesome. (and for folks who don't know Herbie is incredible. Don't just think of him as the guy with the robot video. He started out with Miles Davis. 'nough said.)

The honorees don't perform
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

The honorees don't perform

Ah! I figured they did at end. Shows you how much I watch these stupid awards thingees.
  • Options
    Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    Rumor is that the historic announcement will be that he's doing full album concerts as some sort of tie in to an MSG residency so the one a month makes perfect sense since he has 12 studio albums. I don't think it's retirement and he doesn't need MSG to announce a new album. He also mentioned doing full albums in the Northeast during a rolling stone interview a few months ago.

For anyone who hasn't seen the Master this could be the last chance when he can still do these songs full blown and all out. He's been semi-retired for a long time now and he seems to be rejuvenated doing more of the obscure stuff. These shows should be killer. I was lucky enough to score tkts to 3 out of the 4 announced MSG shows. I would expect him to do Philly and then maybe Boston/Hartford shows. The NY ones though will be the ones to see if you can make it. So happy he's finally getting his due in critics circles who dismissed him during the peak of his career (unlike his comtemporaries Bruce, Simon, Elton). The criticism hurt him and the perception of his music. IMO he's our greatest songwriter, a pop/rock Gershwin.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited December 2013
    I just stumbled on this thread.

Never sleep on Billy Joel. I STILL say that even after seeing the video for "Keeping the Faith" over the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPe9EEOTCJE

Glass Houses is still my fave, but The Bridge is a close second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4dQ_zbSWus
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:
    Rumor is that the historic announcement will be that he's doing full album concerts as some sort of tie in to an MSG residency so the one a month makes perfect sense since he has 12 studio albums. I don't think it's retirement and he doesn't need MSG to announce a new album. He also mentioned doing full albums in the Northeast during a rolling stone interview a few months ago.

For anyone who hasn't seen the Master this could be the last chance when he can still do these songs full blown and all out. He's been semi-retired for a long time now and he seems to be rejuvenated doing more of the obscure stuff. These shows should be killer. I was lucky enough to score tkts to 3 out of the 4 announced MSG shows. I would expect him to do Philly and then maybe Boston/Hartford shows. The NY ones though will be the ones to see if you can make it. So happy he's finally getting his due in critics circles who dismissed him during the peak of his career (unlike his comtemporaries Bruce, Simon, Elton). The criticism hurt him and the perception of his music. IMO he's our greatest songwriter, a pop/rock Gershwin.
    I've heard him say that the critics weren't too kind to him when he was recording. I'm surprised by that. Maybe it's because I've grown up with him that I love him so much. His run of "Turnstiles" to "An Innocent Man" is right up there with Bruce's run of "Born to Run" to "Born in the USA" from the same time span. Amazing albums. I like Elton but nowhere near my love of Billy. I've always felt Billy's music was better than Elton's.
  • Options

Never sleep on Billy Joel. I STILL say that even after seeing the video for "Keeping the Faith" over the weekend.

I love those videos of him talking about the albums. I just listened to The Bridge. Definitely a let down following An Innocent Man. That one ranks low for me, although I do love "A Matter of Trust."
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Save Me wrote:

I've heard him say that the critics weren't too kind to him when he was recording. I'm surprised by that. Maybe it's because I've grown up with him that I love him so much. His run of "Turnstiles" to "An Innocent Man" is right up there with Bruce's run of "Born to Run" to "Born in the USA" from the same time span. Amazing albums. I like Elton but nowhere near my love of Billy. I've always felt Billy's music was better than Elton's.

Agreed. I personally favor Billy to Bruce (not a Bruce fan) so I think Billy's albums during that run are better. I mean, Stranger to Glass Houses to Nylon Curtain is pretty sick. With Turnstiles and Innocent Man as the bookends. Incredibly deep and diverse songwriting. But if you go back and look at Rolling Stone's reviews back then, while Bruce was getting 5 stars, Billy was getting 2-3. Critics seemed to have a personal vendetta against Billy but Bruce couldn't do any wrong. This definitely hurt Billy's perception as far as critical acclaim. Only in the last decade or so has he finally gotten the acclaim he deserved all those years. For me he's the Master. Can't wait for this announcement!
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

I love those videos of him talking about the albums. I just listened to The Bridge. Definitely a let down following An Innocent Man. That one ranks low for me, although I do love "A Matter of Trust."

I think the thing about The Bridge is the production was very dated. Billy's music to this day isn't dated. He was never stuck in a sound because he was always evolving. The Bridge was the last album produced by the great Phil Ramone and it definitely seemed to be lacking something. I do think it's a strong collection of songs though perhaps they don't flow together as well as his other albums. Love Matter Of Trust, Running On Ice, This Is The Time, Code Of Silence and of course Big Man On Mulberry is awesome.

But he certainly came back strong with Storm Front, one of my favorites of his.
  • Options
    Not able to watch announcement, but notice for May 9 tix at MSG come up if you go to BillyJoel.com. So, it's definitely more shows. Anyone watching?
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Not able to watch announcement, but notice for May 9 tix at MSG come up if you go to BillyJoel.com. So, it's definitely more shows. Anyone watching?

Im attempting to watch .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD2YlpxznQE
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options

So, the immediate thing is the Friday, May 9 show (his 65th B'day according to the announcement) is added.

The bigger, broader thing was that Billy is now part of the MSG "Franchises" along with Knicks and Rangers (whatever that means).

So, long and short of it - as long as he keeps selling out, he will be adding a show a month. So, no definitive 12 shows next year (or format which doesn't surprise me - why would he do that to himself?), but I'd be shocked if he doesn't continue to sell these things out.

EDIT: And if this isn't Dolan giving Jay Z, Prokorov and their Brooklyn friends the big fat old finger, I don't know what is. Enjoy New Years Eve, Barclays, because you're never seeing Billy play there again. :lol:

And btw - Nassau County - thanks a bunch for picking the Brooklyn idiots who stole the Islanders over the MSG developers to redo the Coliseum. Didn't look smart from the beginning, and now it looks even dumber.
  • Options
    Well I was hoping for something more than that. Living in NYC I'm glad I can go see Billy anytime now but I feel it takes the luster of a Billy Joel concert now knowing there's one every month. Will be interesting to see how long the demand holds.
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:
    Well I was hoping for something more than that. Living in NYC I'm glad I can go see Billy anytime now but I feel it takes the luster of a Billy Joel concert now knowing there's one every month. Will be interesting to see how long the demand holds.

It will hold for at least all of next year. It's cleverly crafted way of playing once a month next year and make sure of sell outs and not burn out. If they announced the remaining 8 shows today and put them on sale, folks would wait. But, with the - this is the last show unless it sells out - undertone - it kind of forces the early purchase. And if it doesn't sell out, they wait to announce the next one, so it does. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Then as a franchise, they can take a few months off and give it a go again. It's really a well designed agreement for both parties (and notice the 3 Friday night dates on the March, April and May shows? MSG doesn't give out weekend nights like that.).

Plus, tickets are very reasonably priced for an act as big as he is in his own hometown.

And I don't understand how it takes the luster off it. If anything, folks may even travel more realizing these are the only dates he's doing for now and you can make a long weekend out of it in NYC.
  • Options
    Billy got his own logo and website too.

http://www.billyjoelmsg.com

safe_image.php?d=AQBOtg7p6KR4Rutl&w=398&h=208&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billyjoel.com%2Fsites%2Fbillyjoel%2Ffiles%2F131203_bj_msg509_og.jpeg&cfs=1&upscale
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:

safe_image.php?d=AQBOtg7p6KR4Rutl&w=398&h=208&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billyjoel.com%2Fsites%2Fbillyjoel%2Ffiles%2F131203_bj_msg509_og.jpeg&cfs=1&upscale

Some great pics on that site.
  • Options
    Save Me wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Some great pics on that site.

Yeah I like how they break down the album and year with the various photos.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I always forget his birthday is on mine. Who wants to fly me down to MSG and buy my tickets for my birthday next year? ;)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I always forget his birthday is on mine. Who wants to fly me down to MSG and buy my tickets for my birthday next year? ;)
    :thumbup: That's awesome!
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Would love to see him again in the coming months. It's like BJ doing a Vegas gig, except at the Garden.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.