Billy Joel

Comments

• Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    Watched that last night. That was great though I don't like when he starts right on the lyric and doesn't play the opening piano piece.

I just read this great interview with him in the NY Times. Covers a lot of stuff.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/magazine/billy-joel-on-not-working-and-not-giving-up-drinking.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&

Also he just announced a full concert date in Dublin at the O2 in November. His 1st announced full BJ concert of the year. Fingers crossed that more dates will be announced and in the US.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Save Me wrote:
    Watched that last night. That was great though I don't like when he starts right on the lyric and doesn't play the opening piano piece.

I just read this great interview with him in the NY Times. Covers a lot of stuff.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/magazine/billy-joel-on-not-working-and-not-giving-up-drinking.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&

Also he just announced a full concert date in Dublin at the O2 in November. His 1st announced full BJ concert of the year. Fingers crossed that more dates will be announced and in the US.
    Yeah, I didn't like him starting with the lyrics right away. The piano intro is legendary.

Thanks for the NY Times interview. Will give it a read.

I'm in the same boat with you; hoping for more dates and US dates!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Save Me wrote:

Great interview. Thanks for sharing.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Not sure if anyone watches " American Restoration" on History,
    but Billy Joel is involved in the upcming episode
    and what I assume is an old motorcycle .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Bathgate66 wrote:

" Its a matter of Rust "
    aires tonight on History Channel 10PM Eastern.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

" Its a matter of Rust "
    aires tonight on History Channel 10PM Eastern.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    3 dates in the UK have been announced for October and November.
    That's huge! Probably dipping his toes back in overseas. I would expect US dates hopefully early 2014.

Also he was on the PBS broadcast of an award presentation to Carol King which aired last night. I DVR'd it. He did King's Locomotion and supposedly knocked it out of the park.

Going to watch that and the American Restoration episode tonight. So glad Billy's back in the spotlight. Looks like he's lost some weight as well which was much needed.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
    Save Me wrote:
    That's huge! Probably dipping his toes back in overseas. I would expect US dates hopefully early 2014.

Also he was on the PBS broadcast of an award presentation to Carol King which aired last night. I DVR'd it. He did King's Locomotion and supposedly knocked it out of the park.

Going to watch that and the American Restoration episode tonight. So glad Billy's back in the spotlight. Looks like he's lost some weight as well which was much needed.
    I forgot to set the DVR for that Carol King special. Hopefully it's on again.
    Here's Billy's performance of Locomotion. He sounds amazing! So youthful! After this he did a duet with James Taylor. Billy sang harmonies. It was good too. There's a link under this video on youtube if you want to watch the full show. I was only into the Billy parts.

http://youtu.be/FkHKc3LYW8I

PS: A funny sidenote is that's Danny Kortchmar (produced River Of Dreams) on guitar to Billy's left.
    The more I listen to "An Innocent Man," the more I am loving this album.
    Complete album collection reissues arrived today. :D:D

Going to have some fun tonight.
  • NarcisoNarciso Posts: 194
    http://youtu.be/PqY6mXULzpw
    This is from his concert in Russia in the eighties. He gets pissed because they keep shining the lights in the crowds faces. Find and watch the entire show. Amazing!
    Slipped on a curb in the road.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Kennedy Center Honor recipient this year
    I miss igotid88
    Holy shit, Billy. You weren't kidding when you said you wanted play some deep cuts. I really hope he tours the US next year.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... g-20131017

Billy Joel Unearths Extreme Rarities at Surprise Club Gig
    The Long Island show was a warm-up for his upcoming European tour

Just two songs into his set at the tiny Paramount Theater in Huntington, Long Island, Billy Joel made it clear this wasn't going to be his standard show. "We're not going to play all hits tonight," he said. "I'm tired of that shit. We want to mix in some other stuff that we haven't done for a long time."

The concert, essentially an open rehearsal for Joel's upcoming mini-European tour that doubled as a benefit for the food bank Long Island Cares, was quietly announced Tuesday morning, about an hour before tickets went on-sale. It still sold out within seconds, and scalpers were charging upwards of $4,000 a seat. Hordes of people stood outside the 1,600 seat club, begging strangers for a ticket, and it's really no surprise. Outside of two festival dates earlier this year, this was his first full show since his co-headlining tour with Elton John wrapped in early 2010, and he hasn't played a legit headlining gig since Valentine's Day of 2009.

A few things were apparent during the opening song, "Everybody Loves You Now" from Joel's 1971 debut LP Cold Spring Harbor. He moved to the piano a little slowly (no doubt due to his hip replacement a few years back), but his voice was shockingly powerful and he was clearly having an absolute blast. He seemed to be going through the motions on those last few Elton John tours, but the long break has obviously revitalized him. It's been a long time since he's played a room anywhere near as tiny as the Paramount, and he soaked in every bit of love from the screaming fans, who had absolutely no idea they'd be seeing Billy Joel in concert when they woke up the previous morning.

He wasn't kidding about steering clear of the hits, at least in the first half of the show. Early on he busted out the The Stranger deep cut "Vienna," the Streetlife Serenade gem "The Entertainer" and "Great Wall of China" from River of Dreams. It might be tough to pull off these tracks in a stadium, but this was a club full of die-hard Long Island Billy Joel going nuts and many of them greeted each tune with delirious glee.

Even the fanatics had to search their memory banks for The Nylon Curtain tracks "Room of Her Own" and "She's Right on Time," not to mention "Stop in Nevada" from Piano Man. The latter song was from Joel's brief period where he tried to write western-themed material. "I moved out to California and was there for three years," he said. "I'd go into the mountains and I was into this whole country thing and western thing and I decided to try and write a song like one of those songs."

Absolutely nothing in his catalog seemed off limits, even "Blonde Over Blue," a gushing tribute to his ex-wife Christie Brinkley from River of Dreams. "I don't think we've ever done this one, ever," he said before trying it out. "So this might be a train wreck. This may be the only time we ever do it." They pulled it off without a hitch. "I like that one," he said afterwards. "I'm going to keep it."

Some songs are unknown for a reason, and just about the only bumpy moment of the night was "This Is the Time" from The Bridge, which even Joel admits is his worst album. It's simply a schmaltzy song that never takes off. He followed it up with "Don't Ask Me Why," a standout tune from Glass Houses.

Even though he sprinkled in a few crowd-pleasers like "New York State of Mind," "Allentown" and "Movin' Out" into the first half of the show, a small minority of fans seemed a bit bored with so much (at least to them) unfamiliar material. Those people jumped to their feet, however, when he played the opening notes of "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant." This is practically the Long Island National Anthem, and nearly every person screamed every single word in the saga of Brenda and Eddie at the top of their lungs.

The rest of the night was a greatest hits parade, including "River of Dreams," "We Didn't Start the Fire," "It's Still Rock and Roll To Me," "Only the Good Die Young," "You May Be Right" and, of course, "Piano Man." Some of those songs I thought I never had to hear again, but when he straps on the harmonica and plays the opening notes of "Piano Man" it's impossible to avoid getting caught up in the moment. The entire room filled with euphoria, and the familiar tale of the real estate novelist, Davy from the Navy and the microphone that smells like a beer suddenly feels new again.

Joel was never a critical favorite during his heyday, and the endless criticism must have played at least a small role in his decision to stop releasing pop songs twenty years ago. But with each passing year, love for the man seems to grow, and it's becoming harder and harder to remember a time when the tastemakers deemed him uncool. Simply put, he's outlasted the haters, and (to steal a line from Matt Stone in the Rush documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage) you gotta give it up to him now, or you're just being a dickhead.

It's unclear how much of this show will make it into the cavernous arenas of England and Ireland later this month, but hopefully he won't lose his courage and he'll continue to devote over half the show to rarities. There's no word on more American dates, but his final words to the crowd were fairly hopeful: "Maybe we'll see you soon."
    I would KILL to hear Blonde Over Blue live and looks like it may stick. Billy did his first of 4 Europe gigs on the 29th. Set list:

Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)
    Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
    Everybody Loves You Now
    Where's the Orchestra?
    Allentown
    A Room of Our Own
    New York State of Mind
    The Great Wall of China
    Zanzibar
    Vienna
    Uptown Girl
    Don't Ask Me Why
    She's Always a Woman
    Blonde Over Blue
    Rule Britannia
    (Virgil Thomson cover)
    Scenes From an Italian Restaurant
    The River of Dreams
    Piano Man
    Encore:
    We Didn't Start the Fire
    It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
    You May Be Right
    Only the Good Die Young

Love that he's changing up the opener and not doing AYM every show. Also that he's not closing the whole show with Piano Man. Awesome rarities. Where's the Orchestra? Room Of Our Own.

Huge news announced yesterday. He's doing a New Years Eve gig at Barclays in Brooklyn (his 1st show there). This is going to lead to US dates in 2014. A couple already announced in Florida in January.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/billy-joel-playing-brooklyns-barclays-center-on-new-years-eve-20131031
    Back at Madison Square Garden!

http://www.billyjoel.com/news/billy-joe ... january-27

Exclusive ticket presale for Citi cardmembers beginning Wednesday at 10am; Public on-sale Saturday at 10am

Billy Joel will return to Madison Square Garden on January 27, 2014 as part of the Time Warner Concert Series, AEG Live announced today. The performance, presented by Q104, marks Billy Joel’s first time back at the World’s Most Famous Arena since his record-breaking “longest run of a single artist” in 2006 when he performed 12 consecutive sold-out shows, and his 2012 performance at the 12-12-12 concert to benefit victims of Superstorm Sandy.

Last month, Joel performed his first Long Island concert in 11 years, paying tribute to Long Island Cares, the Hauppauge-based charity founded by Harry Chapin that Joel chose to receive proceeds from the sold-out show. Joel also returned to Europe for the first time in seven years to perform three sold-out shows in the UK and another at The O2 in Dublin. In December, Billy Joel will receive The Kennedy Center Honor, one of the United States' top cultural awards.

Billy Joel is one of the highest grossing touring artists in the world. Having sold over 150 million albums globally, his music has remained among the most popular in the world. The singer/songwriter/composer is the sixth best-selling recording artist of all time and the third best-selling solo artist.

Recently, Joel was honored by Steinway & Sons with a painted portrait that hangs in Steinway Hall in Manhattan, the first non-classical pianist to be immortalized in the collection. He played to more than 110,000 fans when he performed the final concerts at Shea Stadium, featured in the 2010 documentary film "The Last Play At Shea.”
    Billy Joel has received six GRAMMY® Awards, including the prestigious Grammy Legend Award. He has been inducted into the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and has received numerous industry awards. His music has also served as the inspiration and score for the hit Tony Award-winning Broadway play “Movin’ Out.”

Tickets for Billy Joel’s January 27 show at Madison Square Garden will be available exclusively to Citi cardmembers from Wednesday, November 20 at 10am ET through Friday, November 22 at 10pm ET. Tickets will then be available for purchase by the general public beginning 10am ET on Saturday, November 23 via Ticketmaster.com and by calling 800.745.3000.
  • His tickets are crazy cheap considering he could sell that place out 10x's over - $81 and $145 including TM charges of $17 and $20 (so actual tickets are $64 and $125). That is insane. Good luck to everyone trying to get tickets and hope to see you there.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    Would love to go to MSG but waiting to see if he announces a Hartford show. I think he holds the record for most sold out shows at the Civic Center.
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Would love to go to MSG but waiting to see if he announces a Hartford show. I think he holds the record for most sold out shows at the Civic Center.

He seems to be doing the Snowbird tour. :lol: Added Feb 3 to MSG. So, Brooklyn on New Years, down to Fla, back up to NY for Jan 27, back to Fla to continue his winter break, then back to NY (to attend the Super Bowl?) for Feb 3.

So, I wouldn't expect Hartford until the thaw. :lol:
    Newch91 wrote:

He seems to be doing the Snowbird tour. :lol: Added Feb 3 to MSG. So, Brooklyn on New Years, down to Fla, back up to NY for Jan 27, back to Fla to continue his winter break, then back to NY (to attend the Super Bowl?) for Feb 3.

So, I wouldn't expect Hartford until the thaw. :lol:
    :lol::lol: I'll take the thaw. Gives me time to save up for tickets!

A THIRD MSG show announced for March 21st. Trying to break his record?
    Love "Summer, Highland Falls" so much. In my opinion, Billy's best lyrics.

They say that these are not the best of times
    But they're the only times I've ever known
    And I believe there is a time for meditation
    In cathedrals of our own

Now, I have seen that sad surrender in my lover's eyes
    And I can only stand apart and sympathize
    For we are always what our situations hand us
    It's either sadness or euphoria

So we'll argue and we'll compromise
    And realize that nothing's ever changed
    For all our mutual experience,
    Our separate conclusions are the same

Now we are forced to recognize our inhumanity
    Our reason coexists with our insanity
    And though we choose between reality and madness
    It's either sadness or euphoria

How thoughtlessly we dissipate our energies
    Perhaps we don't fulfill each others fantasies
    And as we stand upon the ledges of our lives,
    With our respective similarities
    It's either sadness of euphoria
  • Looks like he's "taking up residence" at MSG with a once a month show. January, then February, then March and this morning a Friday April show added. He also said he's spacing out his shows to give his voice time to recover. So, maybe there is hope for other locations. But, clearly he's settling on his MSG schedule before he announces anything else.

Would be cool if he played MSG once a month for the entire 2014 ending with a New Year's show there.
    Looks like he's "taking up residence" at MSG with a once a month show. January, then February, then March and this morning a Friday April show added. He also said he's spacing out his shows to give his voice time to recover. So, maybe there is hope for other locations. But, clearly he's settling on his MSG schedule before he announces anything else.

Would be cool if he played MSG once a month for the entire 2014 ending with a New Year's show there.
    That's good that he's spacing out his shows.

I agree with you about him playing MSG once a month for all of 2014.
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Looks like he's "taking up residence" at MSG with a once a month show. January, then February, then March and this morning a Friday April show added. He also said he's spacing out his shows to give his voice time to recover. So, maybe there is hope for other locations. But, clearly he's settling on his MSG schedule before he announces anything else.

Yeah. He said he needs 3 days for his voice to fully recover. Maybe, he's going to do his January run where he's playing every 5 days or so, see how that goes, then figure out the rest of his schedule around the MSG shows. Can't imagine he's going to just rev up the production and the band once a month. But, clearly he's using those shows as his home base. So, I think there may be hope for your Hartford show.
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah. He said he needs 3 days for his voice to fully recover. Maybe, he's going to do his January run where he's playing every 5 days or so, see how that goes, then figure out the rest of his schedule around the MSG shows. Can't imagine he's going to just rev up the production and the band once a month. But, clearly he's using those shows as his home base. So, I think there may be hope for your Hartford show.
    Hope so! I think he has the record for most sold out shows at the Civic Center. Would love for him to add to that.
    Of the hundreds of concerts I've been to ,
    I am ashamed to say I never saw Joel live.

I hope to get to at least 1 show @ MSG.

Glass Houses is probably my favoirite album.
    :)

Does he change the setlist nightly or
    is it the same every night ?

thanks !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Bathgate66 wrote:

Does he ever play to the home crowd on Long Island and
    are those shows 'more special' ?

thanks !

He does change up a bit, but not like PJ. That being said, his 4 shows are pretty spaced out at the Garden this time, so I would expect much more variety. Plus, he hasn't really toured in a while, so going by what he did in the past may not be an indication of how much variety he intends to inject now.

He has played Long Island - just did a tiny theater in Huntington last month as a surprise local show (and played Blonde Over Blue which he has never played live, so maybe that's a better indication of how he intends to switch it up). He's also played the Nassau Coliseum a number of times (also holds the sold out show record there along with MSG's consecutive streak and Hartford), but not in a while. (My first show ever - of any sort - was him at the Coliseum in 1986)

He also played Shea which is technically on Long Island (and he treated it as such).

And, yes - home crowd means something to him. But, while I've only seen him in the Long Island/NYC area I can guarantee his shows anywhere are incredible.

You must see him if you haven't. The MSG run is going to be something special.
    I think I read an article from a few months past where he talked about sets. He said when he was touring with Elton, he said Elton wanted to do the same set every night and he wasn't into that. Plus, he said he wants to play more album stuff instead of an all hits set.
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Does he ever play to the home crowd on Long Island and
    are those shows 'more special' ?

thanks !

He does change up a bit, but not like PJ. That being said, his 4 shows are pretty spaced out at the Garden this time, so I would expect much more variety. Plus, he hasn't really toured in a while, so going by what he did in the past may not be an indication of how much variety he intends to inject now.

He has played Long Island - just did a tiny theater in Huntington last month as a surprise local show (and played Blonde Over Blue which he has never played live, so maybe that's a better indication of how he intends to switch it up). He's also played the Nassau Coliseum a number of times (also holds the sold out show record there along with MSG's consecutive streak and Hartford), but not in a while. (My first show ever - of any sort - was him at the Coliseum in 1986)

He also played Shea which is technically on Long Island (and he treated it as such).

And, yes - home crowd means something to him. But, while I've only seen him in the Long Island/NYC area I can guarantee his shows anywhere are incredible.

You must see him if you haven't. The MSG run is going to be something special.

Thanks !
    Always good when they take care of the 'home crowd' .

And isnt it funny people don't realize
    all of Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island.

Definitely going to try to go.
    I hear tickets are difficult to get, but that's the norm nowadays.
    thanks again
    Newch91 wrote:
    I think I read an article from a few months past where he talked about sets. He said when he was touring with Elton, he said Elton wanted to do the same set every night and he wasn't into that. Plus, he said he wants to play more album stuff instead of an all hits set

Ok cool. Then that might require multiple shows.
    Ugh- more money I don't have ! ;)
    platessmall.jpg