Options

The next American Century- Republican primary over

Comments

• Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    whygohome wrote:

You're on a roll, gimmie. Keep asking for specifics. I'm still waiting on a list of burdensome regulations that the Obama administration has imposed on small businesses and corporations.
    http://www.remappingdebate.org/article/ ... e?page=0,2 (a new site I am giving some attention to)
    (http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2010/10/1 ... ng_debate/)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fac ... _blog.html

Some good, some bad but total costs and benefits are very tough to find in a simple format, but you may want to check the website below for a list of regulations, rules, and proposed changes that could impact many businesses around the country. If you are interested in the amount and cost of regulations you will find it

http://www.regulations.gov/#!home
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,185
    edited April 2012
    You dillusional if you don't believe that the war on women was started by your GOP ....

Actually, everyone is delusional if they believe there is a war on women.

Sounds catchy though so it must be true!!!
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    You dillusional if you don't believe that the war on women was started by your GOP ....

Actually, everyone is delusion if they believe there is a war on women.

Sounds catchy though so it must be true!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    Dick Cheney, just weeks after undergoing heart transplant surgery, plunged back into the political theater Saturday -- praising presumptive nominee Mitt Romney while slamming President Obama as an "unmitigated disaster."

The tough words came during an hour-and-15-minute talk at the Wyoming Republican Party state convention in Cheyenne on Saturday.
    He sat in a plush chair throughout the long chat with daughter Liz Cheney and looked decidedly healthier than recent appearances where he has been gaunt and used a cane.

After Rick Santorum dropped out of the race this past week, Cheney in his address urged the party to pull together behind Romney. He said the former Massachusetts governor would do a "whale of a job."

His opinion of the sitting president was less flattering.

"He has been an unmitigated disaster to the country," Cheney said of Obama.

glad your back Dick. Keep fighting the good fight.

AND

Acting very much like the Republican presidential nominee, Mitt Romney sent a curt message to President Barack Obama today: "Start packing."

The message, delivered with a chuckle, came in an exclusive interview with "World News" anchor Diane Sawyer who asked the presumptive GOP nominee if he had something to say to the president.

Romney said Obama's "policies have not helped the American people. They have not helped get jobs, they have not helped raise incomes and they've added trillions of dollars of debt."

AND

"If Barack Obama becomes the president in November again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year," Nugent said, according to a video posted on YouTube by the NRA. "If you can't go home and get everybody in your lives to clean house in this vile, evil America hated administration, I don't even know what you're made out of."

He accused the government of "wiping its ass with the Constitution you're living under a rock some place" and labeled members of the Obama administration, including the vice president, attorney general and secretary of state "criminals."

"We need to ride into that battlefield and chop their heads off in November. Am I, any questions?" Nugent said.

Ted+Nugent+Comments+to+Pres+Obama.jpg
  • Options
    jimc3jimc3 Posts: 230
    jimc3 wrote:
    please, there is no "war on women" from either side. White House was wrong to start this, Romney camp was wrong to try to flip it back on them. every non-evil human values women.

what happened to the whole post-Gabby Giffords "let's tone down the violent rhetoric"? a WAR on women? seriously?

this is all just talking points babble to win the invented battle of the day in the never-ending 24hr cable news cycle.

hopefully soon everyone will start to talk about real issues.
    threatening to roll back the rights that women have enjoyed for the last several decades IS a war on women's rights. if you will not call it a war, what would you call it? an assault? to republicans does that mean the "women's right's experiment" has ended in failure???

these proposed laws are real. they are not made up. if they were made up they would not be being fucking enacted in arizona and mississippi and tennessee.

I never said you couldn't have a problem with any laws.

My only point was, calling it a WAR only heightens the rhetoric to the point where both sides get super-irrational-defensive and no meaningful dialogue to solve the actual issues takes place.

Do you really think that any lawmakers that proposed and enacted any laws in these areas of concern got together and said, "Damn these women! We've got to stop them now! People, this is WAR!"?

Lawmakers / policymakers have their opinions about what is right and wrong, and then what is/should be legal and illegal. 99% of the time it comes from a non-evil / non-violent place.

The Republicans know they are in for a tough fight this November. Whatever you may think of their ideas/opinions, you can't think that they are stupid enough to make a centerpiece of their strategy to alienate half of the population by declaring WAR on them.

and any "rolling back" of rights that is proposed / enacted is not a "war" or an "assault". those are terms defined in VIOLENCE. regardless of what you think of what they are doing, there is no violence going on.

Language / vocabulary is very important.
  • Options
    There are a lot of numbers on the rise under President Obama: government spending, home foreclosures, gas prices, and national debt.

Another figure ticked upward this last week: holes golfed by President Obama.

Between his "official" and "nonpolitical" visits to swing states, the President found time to play another 18 holes this weekend. As millions of Americans continue to struggle to find work, President Obama has now played a total of 1,710 holes since taking office. That's 95 rounds of golf.

A lot of Americans have had to make sacrifices these last four years. We would expect our President to do the same.

Donate $18 to help send Barack Obama on a permanent golf vacation:

http://www.fortyfore.com

Thanks.

Zac Moffatt
    Digital Director
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,127
    Between his "official" and "nonpolitical" visits to swing states, the President found time to play another 18 holes this weekend. As millions of Americans continue to struggle to find work, President Obama has now played a total of 1,710 holes since taking office. That's 95 rounds of golf.
    Obama is even more Republican then I thought! I guess Boehner must really be rubbing off on him.

:geek:
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Is going golfing any worse than a President watching 2 movies a week?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Is going golfing any worse than a President watching 2 movies a week?

Or reading silly books with the amazing ability of reading upside down? ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Rudy Giuliani formally endorsed Mitt Romney on Monday, insisting that the former Massachusetts governor has clinched the Republican nomination "fair and square."
    In an interview on "Fox & Friends," the former New York City mayor said Romney has proven he's the "most effective Republican" in the race.
    "Mitt has won fair and square," Giuliani said. "He's taken on everybody and won an incredible number of primaries, and he's got the resume and background for the job."

truth be told.

Woot
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Dick Cheney, just weeks after undergoing heart transplant surgery, plunged back into the political theater Saturday -- praising presumptive nominee Mitt Romney while slamming President Obama as an "unmitigated disaster."

The tough words came during an hour-and-15-minute talk at the Wyoming Republican Party state convention in Cheyenne on Saturday.
    He sat in a plush chair throughout the long chat with daughter Liz Cheney and looked decidedly healthier than recent appearances where he has been gaunt and used a cane.

After Rick Santorum dropped out of the race this past week, Cheney in his address urged the party to pull together behind Romney. He said the former Massachusetts governor would do a "whale of a job."

His opinion of the sitting president was less flattering.

AND

Acting very much like the Republican presidential nominee, Mitt Romney sent a curt message to President Barack Obama today: "Start packing."

The message, delivered with a chuckle, came in an exclusive interview with "World News" anchor Diane Sawyer who asked the presumptive GOP nominee if he had something to say to the president.

Romney said Obama's "policies have not helped the American people. They have not helped get jobs, they have not helped raise incomes and they've added trillions of dollars of debt."

AND

"If Barack Obama becomes the president in November again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year," Nugent said, according to a video posted on YouTube by the NRA. "If you can't go home and get everybody in your lives to clean house in this vile, evil America hated administration, I don't even know what you're made out of."

He accused the government of "wiping its ass with the Constitution you're living under a rock some place" and labeled members of the Obama administration, including the vice president, attorney general and secretary of state "criminals."

"We need to ride into that battlefield and chop their heads off in November. Am I, any questions?" Nugent said.

Ted+Nugent+Comments+to+Pres+Obama.jpg

Wow, I've seen this board sink to some low depths before, but this takes the fucking biscuit.

I actually feel ashamed to be a fan of this band right now.

And 3 pages into this thread??? Seriously, why do people keep replying to this horseshit?
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

I think I might go and join a Bob Marley fan club message board and post endless quotes by people such as Enoch Powell, and David Duke, declare my love of The National Front, and the English Defence League, and post pictures of blacks hanging from trees, and lyrics by the racist band Screwdriver.

Just to fuck with people, bait them, and insult everything his fans might stand for, or respect.

And when some of Bob Marley's fan club posters deem me worthy enough to reply to my incessant bullshit and try to engage me in some sort of reasoned debate, I'll just laugh at them from behind my computer screen, and then post a silly internet picture of Haile Selassie dressed as a Klan member with the caption 'If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em'.

'Coz that's the kind of guy I am.
  • Options
    "I think young voters in this country have to vote for me if they're really thinking of what's in the best interest of the country and what's in their personal best interest," Romney said as he stood next to Rubio, R-Fla.

USA

Woot!
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,308
    edited April 2012
    :? :?

funny, on the cbs news this morning they said the latest cnn poll has obama ahead of romney in the age 18-34 group by a margin of 64%-32%...

ouch....

could it be that the young are already calling bullshit on romney 6 months before the election?
    Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    "I think young voters in this country have to vote for me if they're really thinking of what's in the best interest of the country and what's in their personal best interest," Romney said as he stood next to Rubio, R-Fla.

USA

Woot!

:lol:
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560

USA

Woot!

:lol: I laughed when I heard him say that, also. I like my Pell Grant. I don't want my Pell Grant cut so wealthy students who can easily afford to go to college get it.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    I don't want my Pell Grant cut so wealthy students who can easily afford to go to college get it.

class warfare anyone?

AND

Thank you Pennsylvania, Delaware, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York! And tonight I can say thank you, America. Together, we will win on November 6th!

Americans have always been eternal optimists. But over the last three and a half years, we have seen hopes and dreams diminished by false promises and weak leadership. Everywhere I go, Americans are tired of being tired, and many of those who are fortunate enough to have a job are working harder for less.

To all of the thousands of good and decent Americans I've met who want nothing more than a better chance, a fighting chance, to all of you, I have a simple message: Hold on a little longer. A better America begins tonight.

Tonight is the start of a new campaign to unite every American who knows in his or her heart that we can do better! The last few years have been the best that Barack Obama can do, but it's not the best we can do!

There was a time -- not so long ago -- when each of us could walk a little taller and stand a little straighter because we had a gift that no one else in the world shared. We were Americans. That meant something different to each of us but it meant something special to all of us. We knew it without question. And so did the world.

Those days are coming back. That's our destiny.

We believe in America. We believe in ourselves. Our greatest days are still ahead. We are, after all, Americans!

Join me in the next step of our great nation

Thanks.

Mitt Romney

AND

"In the America I see, character and choices matter. And education, hard work, and living within our means are valued and rewarded. And poverty will be defeated, not with a government check, but with respect and achievement that is taught by parents, learned in school, and practiced in the workplace," Romney said. "This is the America that was won for us by the nation's Founders, and earned for us by the Greatest Generation. It is the America that has produced the most innovative, most productive, and most powerful economy in the world, with one of the highest standards of living of any major nation."
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    I don't want my Pell Grant cut so wealthy students who can easily afford to go to college get it.

class warfare anyone?
    That's going to happen if Mitt wins and he gets his hands on the Paul Ryan budget. For them, it's "screw the poor and middle class".

I love how Republicans call "class warfare" when they're the ones doing it.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    "Mitt Romney has earned the Republican Presidential nomination through hard-work, a strong organization, and disciplined message of restoring America after nearly four years of failed job-killing policies from President Obama and his administration," Perry said in a statement, according to ABC.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,010
    Good luck with Mitt Romney at the helm. How does a flip flopper govern exactly? Rhetoric doesn't provide health care, fix the budget or solve the Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security crisis, bring the troops home, find more efficient ways of producing energy, educate our young, fix our roads and infrastructure, feed our hungry or keep us safe. But Mitt will make the 1% a whole lot richer, won't he?

Perry to Caine to Bachman to Paul to Gingrich to Santorum to Romney. Nice lineage.

Republicans: Prolife until you're born.

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

USA

Woot!

:lol: I laughed when I heard him say that, also. I like my Pell Grant. I don't want my Pell Grant cut so wealthy students who can easily afford to go to college get it.

I have other reasons but yeah, he won't have the youth vote.
  • Options
    Good luck with Mitt Romney at the helm. How does a flip flopper govern exactly? Rhetoric doesn't provide health care, fix the budget or solve the Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security crisis, bring the troops home, find more efficient ways of producing energy, educate our young, fix our roads and infrastructure, feed our hungry or keep us safe. But Mitt will make the 1% a whole lot richer, won't he?
    I cringe at the thought of that.
  • Options

Perry to Caine to Bachman to Paul to Gingrich to Santorum to Romney. Nice lineage.

Peace.

The troops still aren't home so you can cross that off of everyone but Paul's list.
  • Options
    "Mitt Romney has earned the Republican Presidential nomination through hard-work, a strong organization, and disciplined message of restoring America after nearly four years of failed job-killing policies from President Obama and his administration," Perry said in a statement, according to ABC.

And he's wrong. 844 isn't 1,144
  • Options
    Even the white house acknowledges that it Romney v Obama

Romney
  • Options

Romney

And you believe everything coming from the White House? Will it happen? Probably. All I can say is it's not over, not quite yet.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,010

Peace.

The troops still aren't home so you can cross that off of everyone but Paul's list.

Sorry but I can't. Obama is the only one who will bring the troops home from Afghanistan by 2014. If re-elected, he'll do it. He's laying the groundwork now. Just can't run on it. And Ron Paul, if elected, wouldn't take office until 2013. So how does he have the monopoly on bringing them home? All out within a year of taking office? Sorry, Ron Paul isn't getting elected and it'll take everything this country has to bring them home in 2014. Why? Because at least Obama is honest. Not owned. Not a lackey. Constrained, perhaps, by circumstances and forces beyond his control but in the end, HONEST. He's working more for us than them, that I believe. As opposed to Romney who would like you to remain in fear forever. Obama has already said the "war on terrorism" is over. Nice. Its a start. Ending the perpetual war that exists everywhere, be afraid. Its your choice. So, I happen to believe that we can bring the troops home without ending the Fed, eliminating the EPA and allowing everything to be at the mercy of the markets. Government has a role in improving lives. That's why we pay taxes.

Republicans, Pro Life until you're born.

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Peace.

Sorry but I can't. Obama is the only one who will bring the troops home from Afghanistan by 2014. If re-elected, he'll do it. He's laying the groundwork now. Just can't run on it. And Ron Paul, if elected, wouldn't take office until 2013. So how does he have the monopoly on bringing them home? All out within a year of taking office? Sorry, Ron Paul isn't getting elected and it'll take everything this country has to bring them home in 2014. Why? Because at least Obama is honest. Not owned. Not a lackey. Constrained, perhaps, by circumstances and forces beyond his control but in the end, HONEST. He's working more for us than them, that I believe. As opposed to Romney who would like you to remain in fear forever. Obama has already said the "war on terrorism" is over. Nice. Its a start. Ending the perpetual war that exists everywhere, be afraid. Its your choice. So, I happen to believe that we can bring the troops home without ending the Fed, eliminating the EPA and allowing everything to be at the mercy of the markets. Government has a role in improving lives. That's why we pay taxes.

Republicans, Pro Life until you're born.

Peace.

:roll:

You can believe what you want, but Obama isn't the most honest politician running for president...I believe Gitmo still existing is evidence of that alone...I believe saying that autistic kids would need to fend for themselves is evidence of that...I believe saying that raising the debt ceiling and running deficits during the Bush administration was un-patriotic is evidence of that...I believe telling the Russian president to simply give him a little more time until after his election so he will have more flexibility is evidence of that...

and quit with the whole sign off peace. That is ridiculous.
    Democrats...against death sentences except when in the womb...See how stupid that is to do. Your statement isn't any more honest than my example. I don't believe either to be true.
    There is one candidate interested in peace, there is one candidate who believes we aren't the world's policeman...there is one candidate who believes peace comes from trade with all ... But keep supporting the same thing...obviously the last 50+ years has told us that politics in Washington are leading us down a fantastic road...why would we want to support anyone who would want to change it
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options

Romney

well if the white house says it it must be true
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    Elections are about choices.

This past week previewed the stark contrast facing voters in this election. Governor Romney's speech Tuesday night in New Hampshire contained a crisp and specific critique of President Obama's policy failures and his own positive vision for a better America.

The speech left the Obama campaign sputtering - with even David Axelrod offering praise. In fifteen minutes, Governor Romney dismantled the myths of "hope and change" with the reality of a failed record that even the President and his campaign are struggling to defend.

President Obama's stagnant, government-centered economy has depressed growth and the American spirit of natural optimism. At a time when a campaign just emerging from a long primary should be struggling, Governor Romney has rapidly unified support and begun to capture the imagination of the country with his vision of a pro-growth economy that will lift us out of the Obama doldrums. It was a big speech to mark a big win that begins a big debate about big things.

President Obama, on the other hand, spent the week slow-jamming the news, striking a Heisman pose, and trying to pick a fight over student loans to help the one-in-two recent college graduates who are either jobless or underemployed as a result of his policies (which is apparently really funny stuff to the President). Unfortunately for him, Republicans agree with the need for a temporary extension, but want it paid for by cutting spending rather than raising taxes. So instead of the fight he was hoping for, he got a debate over taxes and spending - which he wasn't hoping for.

But changing a presidential schedule is not easy, so Obama pressed on anyway with "official" events to attack his political opponents in swing states with target voters 18-29 years of age that he did well with in 2008 but whose support is waning in 2012. His campaign team then announced in a hastily-arranged Wednesday night conference call that his re-election campaign would begin on May 5th (as if the President hasn't been campaigning for re-election non-stop for a year now).

In making this announcement, the Chicago crowd was consistent with what has been a remarkably flailing campaign with no discernible rationale for candidacy. We now know that only one campaign is going to run on President Obama's record of the past three-and-a-half years in office - and it's not the Obama campaign. Without the ability to run on a record of achievement, the incumbent is reduced to a campaign based on scattershot attacks on Governor Romney in particular and Republicans in general.

The Obama campaign is like one of those gyrating, intermittent lawn sprinklers, spewing out attacks in seemingly random directions, hoping to get somebody wet somewhere but hoping even more to talk about anything but the unemployment rate, federal debt, gas prices, or rising health insurance premiums.

In his New Hampshire remarks, Governor Romney dubbed this a campaign of "diversions, distortions and distractions" but noted it wouldn't work. "It's still about the economy - and we're not stupid."

The Obama campaign's calculation is understandable, given the current polling data:
    The president's job approval remains mired below 50%. (46% - Fox News Poll, April   22-24)
    Most Americans believe the country is still in a recession. (83% - Fox News Poll, April 22-24)
    People strongly think the country is moving in the wrong direction.  (59% - NBC News/WSJ Poll, April 13-17)
    Nearly two-thirds of Americans believe Obama's policies have either hurt economic conditions in the country or had no impact. (63% - NBC News/WSJ Poll, April 13-17)
    Less than one-third of Americans believe that if President Obama is re-elected, economic conditions in the country will be helped. (31% - NBC News/WSJ Poll, April 13-17)
    But this is not just about statistics. As Governor Romney said in New Hampshire, "Is it easier to make ends meet? Is it easier to sell your home or buy a new one? Have you saved what you needed for retirement? Are you making more in your job? Do you have a better chance to get a better job? Do you pay less at the pump?"

Voters have grown disenchanted with President Obama's policies and fear what he would do in a second term. Sensing this, the President's re-election campaign avoids defending their stimulus and health care bills and refuses to say what a second Obama-Biden term would mean in terms of the policies they'd offer. (There should be a reward for anyone who can find an agenda for Obama's second term.)

So the general election begins with a bang on one side and a whimper on the other. One side has a clear rationale for running for president, while the other has no discernible message or agenda. Governor Romney and his campaign seek to make this election about big choices affecting our future, while President Obama and his team want to make it a very small election about dogs, tax returns and his winning TV persona.

Of course, this election will be decided by adults casting ballots in their precincts, not teenagers texting votes from in front of their television sets. That apparently frightens the President and his advisors right now.

Thanks,

Matt Rhoades
    Campaign Manager
This discussion has been closed.