uh, years maybe?!
    I don't have an opinion to throw
    into the ring at the moment.
    I have a feeling I will be following this thread
    on n' off for the next little while.
    Keep it friendly kids,
    whatever your opinion!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
    Wow.... this has nothing to do with gay marriage. I've been and continue to be an active part of that struggle over here. Look for me at Equal Love Rallys :lol: , BUT it is called Equal Love for a reason, it's not as much about marriage as it is about EQUALITY.
    Have spoken to lots of people about it, many for whom it's a personal issue, most are not against the alternative of just abolishing marriage altogether (this could lead to a separate debate here and I apologize in advance), obviously the religious ceremony of marriage would still exist but that has nothing to do with either issue.

I am not against marriage if both people want it, but I don't understand and probably never will the idea that it adds something to a relationship.
    It is harder to get out of in some cases but I don't think that's a good thing I think it's terrible. If the only reason people are together is because of a marriage certificate they shouldn't be.
    Unless it's a religious issue I just think making it into such a big deal is petty. If that's the biggest problem in a relationship then you have it pretty good
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    Hmmm...I don't know. I think if it means enough to you that you have come on here and asked for advice, it's not something that you are just going to 'get over'.

Marriage is personal and means different things to different people. I was married for 12 years and when I kicked him out, I had no desire to ever be married again. But I got married a couple of weeks ago to someone who truly is my soulmate. And I there is nothing I wanted more, than to be married to him.

Regardless of other people's opinions on what marriage is or isn't, when you are in a long term committed relationship, you need to have the same views on that. There are things you can have differing opinions on, but whether you want to be married is not one of them. If the two of you are GENUINELY fine with not being married, then great. It works for you and I wish you all the best forever. BUT, if one of you wants that ring/certificate/ceremony and reception, and the other doesn't, it will cause issues.

For me, marriage is a beautiful thing - yes, we as women do quite often dream from an early age of getting married, having the beautiful dress and having everyone treat us like a princess for a day. Your wedding is only one day though. If it's the wedding you want, rather than the actual marriage, then maybe you don't want it for the right reasons?
    We had a lovely garden ceremony, I wore a short dress with Chucks on my feet, and my kids and my new brother in law were our bridal party. My sister took our photos, we had a party at a local pub after, and we were the last to leave, after getting VERY drunk with the last of the guests. We had an absolute ball. It was so much fun, and the guests have all said the same thing.

It was a party to celebrate our love for each other. It was awesome. And being married is awesome when you have the right person. It's a lovely feeling to be able to say 'husband' or 'wife'. To know that they are wearing that ring on their finger to show the world that they love you and have committed to you for a lifetime is wonderful.

Yes, divorce rates are high, but there are many reasons for that.

I'm just saying, if you want it that much, you need to express to him how much you want it, or it will become a sticking point down the track.

Good luck to you, and I hope it all turns out for the best.
    :D
  • MissJam81MissJam81 Posts: 1,878
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    I am absolutely
    sending a link for this thread
    to my gf!
    I have been a foot-dragger
    on the marriage issue for months...
    uh, years maybe?!
    I don't have an opinion to throw
    into the ring at the moment.
    I have a feeling I will be following this thread
    on n' off for the next little while.
    Keep it friendly kids,
    whatever your opinion!
    Cheers.
    let us know how you're getting on pls and I'll do the same :)
    Wendy Testaburger

" we're going to take this to some level that people aren't going to forget... and if that means risking your life, we're going to do it!..." EV

"
    Hmmm...I don't know. I think if it means enough to you that you have come on here and asked for advice, it's not something that you are just going to 'get over'.

Marriage is personal and means different things to different people. I was married for 12 years and when I kicked him out, I had no desire to ever be married again. But I got married a couple of weeks ago to someone who truly is my soulmate. And I there is nothing I wanted more, than to be married to him.

Regardless of other people's opinions on what marriage is or isn't, when you are in a long term committed relationship, you need to have the same views on that. There are things you can have differing opinions on, but whether you want to be married is not one of them. If the two of you are GENUINELY fine with not being married, then great. It works for you and I wish you all the best forever. BUT, if one of you wants that ring/certificate/ceremony and reception, and the other doesn't, it will cause issues.

For me, marriage is a beautiful thing - yes, we as women do quite often dream from an early age of getting married, having the beautiful dress and having everyone treat us like a princess for a day. Your wedding is only one day though. If it's the wedding you want, rather than the actual marriage, then maybe you don't want it for the right reasons?
    We had a lovely garden ceremony, I wore a short dress with Chucks on my feet, and my kids and my new brother in law were our bridal party. My sister took our photos, we had a party at a local pub after, and we were the last to leave, after getting VERY drunk with the last of the guests. We had an absolute ball. It was so much fun, and the guests have all said the same thing.

It was a party to celebrate our love for each other. It was awesome. And being married is awesome when you have the right person. It's a lovely feeling to be able to say 'husband' or 'wife'. To know that they are wearing that ring on their finger to show the world that they love you and have committed to you for a lifetime is wonderful.

Yes, divorce rates are high, but there are many reasons for that.

I'm just saying, if you want it that much, you need to express to him how much you want it, or it will become a sticking point down the track.

Good luck to you, and I hope it all turns out for the best.
    :D

Hi, thanks for your reply! :)

I have showed him and told him how much I want it, but he seems "stuck" I dunno... and yeah I want to get married for the exact reasons you described here: "
    It was a party to celebrate our love for each other. It was awesome. And being married is awesome when you have the right person. It's a lovely feeling to be able to say 'husband' or 'wife'. To know that they are wearing that ring on their finger to show the world that they love you and have committed to you for a lifetime is wonderful."

I just have to hope he'll change his mind eventually, cos I love him lots and what we have is wonderful, so leaving him isnt an option... at least for now anyway ;)
    Wendy Testaburger

" we're going to take this to some level that people aren't going to forget... and if that means risking your life, we're going to do it!..." EV

"
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,437
    My advice?

Do not take any advice from anyone on this board....

Carry on...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    My advice?

Carry on...
    not even this advice..hhehehhehehehehehehehehehe
    Hi SPEEDY... :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    My advice?

Carry on...

thank you :)
    Wendy Testaburger

"