women and marriage...

MissJam81MissJam81 Posts: 1,878
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Im here for some advice! Ive been with my partner for 6 years, and dreamt of a gorgeous wedding and getting marriage from the age of 14....Im now 31, have met the man I want to marry.... except he doesnt believe in marriage, due to his traumatic childhood watching his parents argue for years.... we talked and I told him Im fine with just being boyfriend and girlfriend.... but Im not really, therefore Ive been very frustrated for the past few months.... any advice on how to get over that?? why do we ladies, give so much s***t about marriage and weddings??? thanks in advance
Wendy Testaburger

" we're going to take this to some level that people aren't going to forget... and if that means risking your life, we're going to do it!..." EV

"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    Well, for a start you could tell him how you really feel. Why would he change his mind if he thinks you don't mind?

I'm married and would highly recommend it.... its not just a laydeez thing ;)
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    MissJam81 wrote:
    Im here for some advice! Ive been with my partner for 6 years, and dreamt of a gorgeous wedding and getting marriage from the age of 14....Im now 31, have met the man I want to marry.... except he doesnt believe in marriage, due to his traumatic childhood watching his parents argue for years.... we talked and I told him Im fine with just being boyfriend and girlfriend.... but Im not really, therefore Ive been very frustrated for the past few months.... any advice on how to get over that?? why do we ladies, give so much s***t about marriage and weddings??? thanks in advance

I don't mind the idea of marriage.....but hate weddings.....which is why after 13.5 years together we are still not married. We don't want a wedding....and even a very small thing still takes a lot of planning. We'll probably do it one day and include our babies in the day.....and only our parents will be there.....if either of us could be fucked organising it. :lol:

Would being married really make any difference to how you two are now? Or are you more disappointed with not having the big spectacle and hoopla of the wedding?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i understand the situation....isnt easy for both of you..
    and you with your dream..and he with his ideas..and issues...

i ll tell you my opinion...cos i understand your boyfriend maybe better than others....

first,you dont let go your dreams..never..fight for them,work for them....you want something,you need to go for it..

and as for your man..is really up to you again...you are the one can make him feel secure and trust that your story has nothing to do with his past and his parents..its on your hands to make him feel the level of trust and safe to make your dream,his dream as well....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    You probably should tell him instead of bottling it up, but you have to be prepared for the consequences if he remains adamant against getting married. But you also can't take any of this personally. Wish you happiness however things turn out.
  • your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
    Can I just ask why you want to get married? Have always felt that unless you are religious then it is just a piece of paper.... not judging more curious than anything else
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
    Marriage is the ultimate commitment. It's the way you commit to your partner in law and in a spiritual way whether it be religious or not. Its a way of standing up and saying "I've found my life partner and I want to make the union official, binding and forever".

Marriage is much more than religion, its a two way agreement that a couple will support eachother, love eachother and share eachothers lives for eternity.

I have been married for nearly 6 years. Its a beautiful thing and very different from being unmarried. I wasn't married in a church and see no reason why it should be seen as a purely religious thing. Marriage is a spiritual thing. I'm not in the slightest religious but I do recognise the history of marriage and its religious roots but this is 2012 and marriage has come along way since the days of being married in the eyes of god.

Its also a great excuse for the party of the century.

:D
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    MissJam81 wrote:
    Fear is holding your man back ... people argue married or not.
    I wonder then, if it ended in divorce, his parents?
    We are destined to behave like our parents unless we consciously work through it
    and fight against the negative influences.

Marriage is the ultimate commitment, the finality, the prize.
    It is romance, lifelong love, a vow that no matter what you will work
    through all trials and not walk away.
    Who wouldn't want this in life?
    I had the dinkiest wedding but serviced many weddings as a floral designer
    in a previous life ;) so I see why you want your day. I'm sure he does too.
    I also understand why you want marriage, I think he does too.

As the years go by, you may want it even more and your relationship could suffer.
    Perhaps you both should see a counselor so he can work through his fear.
    It would probably do him good in many regards in his life and in his relationships
    with his parents and siblings if he has any.
    It seems he has some unsettled issues holding him back.

Good luck to you both ... I wish for you a lifetime of love and happiness.
    I get the party thing but really what does the world matter... surely it's between the 2 of you ?
    I don't understand how two people who have complete trust and faith in each other and in their relationship need any sort of social acceptance and/or confirmation. I jut feel regardless of the divorce rate that a ceremony is unnecassary in order to confirm a committment
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    I get the party thing but really what does the world matter... surely it's between the 2 of you ?
    I don't understand how two people who have complete trust and faith in each other and in their relationship need any sort of social acceptance and/or confirmation. I jut feel regardless of the divorce rate that a ceremony is unnecassary in order to confirm a committment

Isn't that kind of like saying 'why do people celebrate birthdays'? You know what day you were born, you know what age you are turning, so why do you need to invite people to celebrate it with you?

If people can have a huge party when they turn 21, certaintly people can have a celebration when they get married.
    yes okay... but I don'tobject to having a party - I object to what is an allegedly spiritual celebration needing to be a legal document
    Marriage isn't for everyone but when it is for one in the relationship and not the other ..
    here lies the problem.

Marriage, like any relationship, is what you make it, is what you bring to it
    and it is all about commitment ... why so many fail.
    It takes two to be committed with or without a celebration or legal document.

Religion, spirituality or God had nothing to do with our marriage 31 years ago.
    We just wanted to spend our lives together, make that commitment
    and proclaim it to the world!
    But now ... I thank God everyday for my JB ... till death do us part...
    So according to a couple of people above, after 13+ years my bf and I still haven't made the ultimate commitment? Bullshit! I find it sad that people need marriage to feel that they've fully committed, need it to vow to be there for each forever etc. I made that commitment well over a decade ago without a wedding to make it "an official union".

I'm not against marriage. I'm against people thinking that unmarried people aren't as committed as married people....when the only real difference is a piece of paper.

This is exactly how my wife felt before she met me :D;)

I agree. Totally unnecessary.
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    So according to a couple of people above, after 13+ years my bf and I still haven't made the ultimate commitment? Bullshit! I find it sad that people need marriage to feel that they've fully committed, need it to vow to be there for each forever etc. I made that commitment well over a decade ago without a wedding to make it "an official union".

I'm not against marriage. I'm against people thinking that unmarried people aren't as committed as married people....when the only real difference is a piece of paper.

Who said that?! No one, that's your interpretation. I was saying what my perception of marriage is and why its important to me. I was not commenting on you. I find your post quite offensive to be honest. You say your are not against marriage but you clearly have no respect for the idea of it.

I find it sad that you feel the need to belittle marriage when I would do nothing other than wish you the best in your own relationship married or not.

Its a personal thing, the OP clearly sees it as an important thing too.
    okay, but what everyone who is o concerned about marriage has failed to explain is how/why it improves a relatioonship. Why if you aren't religiou (in which case I make an exemption) and how does it make a difference over what (for example) ziggy and her bf have?
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Perhaps you should reread the couple of people Ziggy, you totally misunderstand ...

I mentioned it takes two in a commitment married or otherwise and that marriage isn't
    for everyone but for you and your partner both of you don't want marriage.
    This is not the case for the OP. That is an important factor.
    okay, but what everyone who is o concerned about marriage has failed to explain is how/why it improves a relatioonship. Why if you aren't religiou (in which case I make an exemption) and how does it make a difference over what (for example) ziggy and her bf have?
    Again, it is when one person in a couple that wants marriage that it becomes an issue...
    this the discusson
    perhaps you and Ziggy could visualize that in your own relationships ...
    say your men are not happy without marriage... what would you do leave them?
    or would you marry them?

this is not marriage vs non marriage discussion

it is about making a relationship work as a lifetime love...
    for some that is marriage
    Mikee J wrote:

Who said that?! No one, that's your interpretation. I was saying what my perception of marriage is and why its important to me. I was not commenting on you. I find your post quite offensive to be honest. You say your are not against marriage but you clearly have no respect for the idea of it.

I find it sad that you feel the need to belittle marriage when I would do nothing other than wish you the best in your own relationship married or not.

Ahhh....you said:
    Mikee J wrote:
    Marriage is the ultimate commitment.

Sooo wouldn't that mean that unmarried people haven't made the ultimate commitment?? It's almost as if you're saying "it's the next level of commitment".

I'm not belittling marriage....I'm saying it's no different to a long term committed relationship. No different whatsoever. And I have respect for it....just as I have respect for all the people who aren't married but in loving relationships who have also made the "ultimate commitment" of dedicating their lives to each other....piece of paper or not.

And if you find that post offensive, you need to toughen up.

When I married my wife, we became husband and wife. We love that idea and are proud to call eachother by those terms. It makes us feel stronger and secure. It makes me feel happy. She tells me she walks down the street and smiles on the inside when she thinks about being a Mrs. Its romantic to us. Its important to us. Its a vital part of the fabric of our relationship and a big stepping stone to our tarting a family (first child 4 months ago). I think we are both quite traditional people and this is a tradition we both agree with and enjoy.

There was nothing wrong with our relationship before. I tend not to think marriage is a good idea if you are not already in a good place with someone.

I have no idea how this compares to anyone elses relationship and I don't profess that marriage will improve a relationship, but it certainly changes it, and it my case in a very positive way.

I think that's an important point. In my view, people don't get married to improve things. I got married because I wanted to stand on top of the world and scream "I love you and I will be with you forever!" I wanted to do this infront of my friends and family and I did. I love the fact its "official" and the "piece of paper" people talk so negatively about is in fact a beautiful document that we treasure.
    pandora wrote:
    Perhaps you should reread the couple of people Ziggy, you totally misunderstand ...

I mentioned it takes two in a commitment married or otherwise and that marriage isn't

Yep, I reread it and you said:
    pandora wrote:

Both you and Mikee said "ultimate commitment"....and this is what I am discussing with you both.

I never said we don't want marriage....If you reread my very first post I said we'll probably do it one day once we finish having kids so they can be involved.
    okay, well I'm different in that sense.... i have no desire to be married. BUT I don't understand why a piece of paper + a ceremony makes it the ultimate committment?
    If someone needed marriage from me I'd need much more of a reason than that
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Mikee J wrote:

Ahhh....you said:
    Mikee J wrote:
    Marriage is the ultimate commitment.

Sooo wouldn't that mean that unmarried people haven't made the ultimate commitment?? It's almost as if you're saying "it's the next level of commitment".

I'm not belittling marriage....I'm saying it's no different to a long term committed relationship. No different whatsoever. And I have respect for it....just as I have respect for all the people who aren't married but in loving relationships who have also made the "ultimate commitment" of dedicating their lives to each other....piece of paper or not.

And if you find that post offensive, you need to toughen up.

Thanks for the advice I'll remember that next time I read something offensive. Really helpful.

It sounds to me like you are a bit intimidated my marriage. You can suggest what you like about my definition of commitment. Its clearly not what you believe and that's fine. To me its the ultimate commitment. If its not for you then that's fine too. There doesn't have to be a secondary meaning which suggests a negative connotation towards not being married.
    I really don't understand why two people describing marriage as the ultimate commitment would cause you to be so defensive about not being married. You could get really freudian on that point!
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Yep, I reread it and you said:
    pandora wrote:

Both you and Mikee said "ultimate commitment"....and this is what I am discussing with you both.

I never said we don't want marriage....If you reread my very first post I said we'll probably do it one day once we finish having kids so they can be involved.
    Should have said for some people as I did in other posts... got many common law friends
    so I understand but for the OP it is the ultimate commitment ...
    she wants to get married and what is disturbing to me I feel almost like
    she is apologizing for a natural want. There is nothing wrong with wanting marriage
    and a wedding day.
    but by calling marriage the ultimate committment you are by definition belittling the committment of non-married couples, I don't understand how that is in question.
    It seems to me that you see the marriage as making your relationship superior and that is what i have an issue with.

Pandora... all I want from the OP is a reason she wants it, I don't have a problem with her wanting it just wish I could understand the why
    okay, well I'm different in that sense.... i have no desire to be married. BUT I don't understand why a piece of paper + a ceremony makes it the ultimate committment?
    If someone needed marriage from me I'd need much more of a reason than that
    this is not marriage vs non marriage discussion

it is about making a relationship work as a lifetime love...
    for some that is marriage

would this someone wanting to be married be enough of a reason?
    but by calling marriage the ultimate committment you are by definition belittling the committment of non-married couples, I don't understand how that is in question.
    It seems to me that you see the marriage as making your relationship superior and that is what i have an issue with.

Pandora... all I want from the OP is a reason she wants it, I don't have a problem with her wanting it just wish I could understand the why

I get the feeling I could harp on about it all day and you still wouldn't understand. I certainly don't consider marriage as superior to any other kind of relationship, I don't understand how you could ignore all the other things written and still suggest that. My family is littered with broken marriages and broken non marriages. Each marriage is individual as is a non married relationship, I don't think you can really say that one f better than the other when they are completely different. There are many bad marriages which would make not being married look superior and vice versa. I could keep telling you how amazing my marriage is but you don't seem to want to hear it....

I think if the OP told you her reasons you would bat them down as ridiculous.

For me its the ultimate commitment, and I am proud I made it. If that gets your goat then there is not much I can do about it.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    back to the OP ... hahaha

it seems your choices are simple but not easy ... you should tell him how you feel about it and he can voice his feelings ... ultimately, you both will have to decide whether your belief system is more important than each other ... if so ... compromise ... if not ... move on ...

but might i suggest a compromise - they are cool and hip these days ... :mrgreen: ... it's called a "commitment:" party ... no ceremony with a JP or priest ... no witnesses or anything ... just a party ... a party to celebrate your love for each other ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    back to the OP ... hahaha

it seems your choices are simple but not easy ... you should tell him how you feel about it and he can voice his feelings ... ultimately, you both will have to decide whether your belief system is more important than each other ... if so ... compromise ... if not ... move on ...

but might i suggest a compromise - they are cool and hip these days ... :mrgreen: ... it's called a "commitment:" party ... no ceremony with a JP or priest ... no witnesses or anything ... just a party ... a party to celebrate your love for each other ...

Careful not to have any pieces of paper laying around though! :D