Options

Ed's "I don't believe in God" comment at MSG

Comments

• Options
    PJammin' wrote:
    when it comes to God and something you hold dear to you, it's not stupid. i'm sure if i said something disrespectful to eddie about his daughter he wouldn't appreciate it either. whether he believes in God or not i don't really care. just have respect to some of your fans who do believe. that's all.

I'm with Eddie in that I don't believe in God but I could care less that you do. It doesn't BOTHER ME that you do and it shouldn't bother you if Eddie or anyone else do not. The point is it isn't "disrespectful" for anyone to say they don't believe in god. Quite frankly, that's just silly. How was he disrespecting you by saying he doesn't believe what you beleive? So by your train of thought you are disrespecting everyone who doesn't believe everytime you announce your love of god?? Of course not. Believe what you believe and be content with that. Don't worry so much about those of us who "don't believe". My god some people are way too uptight, especially about religion. Peace
    Up here in my tree...

Albuquerque 2000
    Denver 2006
    Chicago 2009
    Seattle 2013
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Firecloud wrote:
    Threads like these are drama bait and nothing more. Useless, sniveling nonsense about offending people's love for evolved mythology and its use as both a guiding tool (good) and a tool of judgement and division (fuck you).

Since we're on topic, and Ed quoted the late, great GC before Marker, here's a particularly glorious rant of Carlin's that pretty well encapsulates the entire concept of organized religion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

I had forgotten about that. LOL.

"If there is a God, may he strike this audience dead."
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    muhaha
  • Options
    jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    spat wrote:
    i could care less what ed believes in, but if he's going to talk about his beliefs publicly on stage, he could at least give it to us straight! like the other poster said, he goes back and forth, for example: at camden 1, he was talking about tim russert's memorial service, and how incredible it was that there was a double rainbow outside after "somewhere over the rainbow" was sung for him. then he made the vague comment saying "who knows how many levels there are to this thing", sounds like he was acknowledging life after death. can you have life after death without a god?

and thats why i think ed believes in god or something bigger. he's always going back and forth on this.
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    Firecloud wrote:
    Threads like these are drama bait and nothing more. Useless, sniveling nonsense about offending people's love for evolved mythology and its use as both a guiding tool (good) and a tool of judgement and division (fuck you).

Since we're on topic, and Ed quoted the late, great GC before Marker, here's a particularly glorious rant of Carlin's that pretty well encapsulates the entire concept of organized religion:

Bravo!!
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    not debating if it is stupid or not

I just think it odd that people would look to a rock band for religion

sooo
    yea

Wannabe Creed fans.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    googoo Posts: 226
    Firecloud wrote:

hey buddy, if you actually take the time to read my post that I really didn't think would spawn a damn 7-page thread, you'll see that I was just asking in what context did he say it. why he even brought it up. I didn't ask everyone to really think about what he really meant when he said it. I don't apologize for asking a question. and about your late, great George Carlin... the man believes in God now. I assure you.
  • Options
    spat wrote:
    can you have life after death without a god?

Yes. Absolutely yes.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    My stance on the issue is this...

I'm not offended by people who believe in god, So why would people be offended if I don't?

Me believing or not believing has no effect on anyone else but me.

There's really no need to harp on this... get the panties out of your asses and move on.
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    yea so I asked a friend about the butt pat thing, I did not say it was a pj thing, he would have me committed, but yea he said outside of sports it is a bit weird and if the dude made sure he got his butt very weird

can we please discuss this?
  • Options
    I really don't care what Ed does or does not believe in. He's a little confusing though I remember in Iconoclasts where he says something along the likes of "It's hard to deny God when you're staring at him right in the face." Also during I think a 2006 show he added in Even Flow "Praying to something that's never showed him anything" and then added "He might show you." Guess he doesn't believe in God. Oh well that's cool.
  • Options
    FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    goo wrote:
    hey buddy, if you actually take the time to read my post that I really didn't think would spawn a damn 7-page thread, you'll see that I was just asking in what context did he say it. why he even brought it up. I didn't ask everyone to really think about what he really meant when he said it. I don't apologize for asking a question. and about your late, great George Carlin... the man believes in God now. I assure you.

Oh boy, really? You assure me? Awesome. Hopefully I can share in the Lord's holy light someday too.

I wasn't knocking your question, simply the fact that any conversation about God on any forum *anywhere* is going to spark raging battles of nonsense like these. Everybody's got an opinion, and they think that opinion is more well-informed and accurate than everybody else's. Case in point, your "assurance" that George Carlin believes in God now. If anything, that's an insult to everything the man stood for. You've debased a man's entire philosophy with baseless, faith-based "logic" based on what you perceive to be the special places we go after we die, where we reunite with old family members and pets and our favorite schoolteachers, all on the same cloud, saving special places for the millions of starving orphans currently being raped and murdered in countless other places on this planet, right now.
  • Options
    AmphibyusAmphibyus Posts: 79
    Here's what I have to say on the subject matter: Who cares what Eddie says or bases his opinion on? Make the decision for yourself. If you are looking to PJ / Eddie for your sole philosophical guidance, you are doing yourself a disservice. If you take offense to his opinions, grow up and realize that there are 6 billion+ people in this wonderful world, and we don't all have to come to the same conclusions. Eddie has the mic, he may say whatever he the hell he feels like because You paid the ticket to see him lay his heart out on the stage.

Below I attached an email I sent to my cousin after a heated religious debate my family had in the spring. I didn't interject my opinion into said conversation because it was not the appropriate time (I didn't want to upset my aging grandmother).

" I saw you and Michael getting lambasted on Saturday and I refrained from interjecting my opinion on the matters of religion because frankly, I've found that keeping my mouth shut has been the most effective format in keeping my mind straight in matters of religion and family.

From a young age, I toed the line, went to church, got confirmed and did everything I was told to in order to not catch any flak from the "higher ups". In college, I can only recall 4 times that I went to church on my own. What I recollect as the reasoning for my participation was solely because it was "the right thing to do" or "what I was supposed to do".

My general considerations of christianity were that it was unbelievable, unlikely, inconsistent, and simply unacceptable.

After several years of simply ignoring matters of religion (because I found no use in it, nor felt anything from it), I finally determined there must be something to my lack of "faith". Everything I had learned when it came to science (physics, biology, chemistry, astronomy...) was completely inconsistent with a seemingly fanatical notion that over 2000 years ago there once existed a man who defied death and now, given the right prayers, will save all us non-believers with a few simple words of verification.

So, I was left with a conundrum. Is there a god... or none at all?

My decision was, given all the science I have learned, all of my experiences throughout my life, the insane medical shit that I've been through, and anything on top of that, I believe there is no god, no grand design, that life is an amazingly natural event, concluding that my existence is an direct conclusion the initial chemical reactions that gave way to life here on earth. I believe there is no afterlife, I believe I am not special, I believe we have one life and that I better make the most of it in the short time I have here.

The bible is out there for reading material in regards to 'their' doctrine. The most significant book I read on this subject matter was "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. I have a few other publications that might you like if some additional material is needed.

Take my opinion for what its worth.... its only my opinion. Come to your own conclusions. It won't come from a single book, a single person, nor a single place. The entire world is available for your exploration and I suggest that you take full advantage. "
  • Options
    elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    I got lost a couple of replies back and ain't reading everyone's beliefs, but wasn't he making fun of acceptance speeches? You know the ones that all start out by "I'd like to thank God..." for nonsense bullshit wins? I don't know, I thought it was something like that. Can't believe there's 7 pages of crap about it!
  • Options
    Amphibyus wrote:
    My decision was, given all the science I have learned, all of my experiences throughout my life, the insane medical shit that I've been through, and anything on top of that, I believe there is no god, no grand design, that life is an amazingly natural event, concluding that my existence is an direct conclusion the initial chemical reactions that gave way to life here on earth. I believe there is no afterlife, I believe I am not special, I believe we have one life and that I better make the most of it in the short time I have here.
    Amphibyus wrote:
    Take my opinion for what its worth.... its only my opinion. Come to your own conclusions. It won't come from a single book, a single person, nor a single place. The entire world is available for your exploration and I suggest that you take full advantage. "

Fully agree with you, however, a single book is enough for me ;). I still adore PJ and Eddie for their music and many big things they do, even I'm a christian. The problem is, I guess, that many people take it (Ed's statement) as offence without even realizing it. It's just like I don't like Bush, but I know some people who does, but this doesn't mean they are all bad for me. It's just a point of view or, better, insight :). The important thing is to be free unless you are harming someone.

Peace & big hope to see Pearl Jam in Europe soon!
    I can feel like I have a soul that has been saved
  • Options
    Amphibyus wrote:
    Amphibyus wrote:

Fully agree with you, however, a single book is enough for me ;). I still adore PJ and Eddie for their music and many big things they do, even I'm a christian. The problem is, I guess, that many people take it (Ed's statement) as offence without even realizing it. It's just like I don't like Bush, but I know some people who does, but this doesn't mean they are all bad for me. It's just a point of view or, better, insight :). The important thing is to be free unless you are harming someone.

Peace & big hope to see Pearl Jam in Europe soon!
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    You would not believe the prejudice against atheists in this country. I have had people cry, try to save me, think I am a bad person with no morals, question whether I should be working with people with disabilities, etc. etc. etc. It is amazing how we are taught to have respect for other people's spiritual beliefs, but if you are an atheist, there is no respect for that.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    RockMama wrote:
    You would not believe the prejudice against atheists in this country. I have had people cry, try to save me, think I am a bad person with no morals, question whether I should be working with people with disabilities, etc. etc. etc. It is amazing how we are taught to have respect for other people's spititual beliefs, but if you are an atheist, there is no respect for that.

This is sad. I'm very sorry for that. And also for the people who think they are spreading peace and love and, on the other hand, disrespect others.

Keep on rockin' in the free world.
  • Options
    Same to you. I am sure you have had to deal with a lot more issues about religion in your country.
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    mrchibblesmrchibbles Posts: 133
    The problem with Ed saying he does not believe in God is not an attack against him that he feels that way. As a devote Christian you are commanded to love God and spread his gospel. The fact that Ed is in such an influential place (Yes, unfortunately rock stars get those certain followers that will say and do anything to copy what their idol does) it should concern a Christian that he is saying he doesn't believe in God and anyone who is upset by it should speak out on that. Now, I also understand that there are those who don't believe in God and they have the right to speak there minds too so everyone is just going to have to deal with it.

The fact is Pearl Jam is a great band that make great music and I don't look to them for my religious needs or any other needs except GOOD MUSIC!!! I am disappointed that Ed said this, but he says a lot of things I don't always agree with.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    mrchibbles wrote:
    As a devote Christian you are commanded to love God and spread his gospel. .

Biggest problem in the world today!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    acsdataacsdata Posts: 40
    There is one thing where Ed and any real believer in God will absolutely mesh, and that is religion is an absolute abomination towards everything God stands for. Even when Jesus was on Earth his entire ministry was basically going against the grain of organized religion at the time. Back in the day Jesus and Ed would have probably been good friends and gotten along great. Now days Ed practically looks like our modern interpretation of Jesus.haha I believe through what I have read of God's word that He wants us to have a personal relationship with Him more than anything else and let His will guide our lives.

As a Christian, I don't see what the big deal is with what Ed said. I think if you're a strong believer in God, it doesn't matter what Ed says and it won't have an impact on you one way or the other. If you are worried about his words being a bad influence on people in the audience who may be on the fence about God, then maybe as a Christian you should do more to reach out to people like that and be an example to them. How many Christians out there really go the distance to help their fellow man?? I don't mean when there is a crisis, I mean in just your everyday life? I bet very few of us, including myself, could say they are really the example God wants us to be. Therefore it should be no surprise that people like Ed and others throughout the world have such a poor opinion of us. It should be no surprise that they want no part of it. Christians do more to damage the reputation of Christianity than Ed or anyone else on this planet could ever do.
  • Options
    The first amendment gives Ed and everyone else the right to express their views and free exercise of religion. This is what America is supposed to be all about. That said, you don't have to agree with anyone either.
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I am a believer but I have a few problems with "the church" or organized religion. I, for one, don't think you have to be in church every time the doors are open to be given consideration for entrance into Heaven. Of course, maybe that's me rationalizing because I never go.

So, as a believer it does not offend me in the least for Eddie or anyone else to simply state that they don't believe in God. I don't see that as disrespectful or mocking..simply a statement of fact or opinion. Bottom line: Ed's opinions on God and religion make no difference to me just as mine probably wouldn't make a difference to him. Listen to "I Am Mine."

Now, as a believer, should I be offended or feel like I am wrong for supporting someone who does not believe in my God? Perhaps; I'm sure some theologians would say that is the case. I really don't feel that way though. I don't share most of the political views Ed has, but that has never hindered my enjoyment of the music. I am also of the opinion that someone who refuses to listen to any opinion that differs in any way to their own is in dire danger of being very ignorant. Of course, Eddie didn't share any in-depth details for his non-belief, but he has certainly done so with the politics.

Ultimately, my vote is that it's not a big deal whether he believes in God or not nor is it an issue when he says it at a concert
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    God = Santa Claus = The Easter Bunny = The Tooth Fairy = M Y T H ology. Just my opinion.

Read the lyrics to Imagine if you truly want to see how the world's problems could come to an end. Money, power, posessions, religious righteousness- all rule the world and are enough proof for me that God does not exist; or certainly not as portrayed in the storybook that is the Bible. It was written by man to bring morality and order to the masses. Interpreted literally, it breeds followers that live in fear of a vengeful God for those without belief. But remember, he loves you and forgives you. Huh? It attempts, very poorly, to explain the unexplainable. All religions have their versions- so which is correct? Yours is.

I'm personally gonna live free and happy, without any of them. Make each day on Earth count before I'm worm food. If there's a higher being, we have no grasp of it as an entity. As long as you're good to each other, believe what you like.

Sorry, don't like to get these discussions going because you either believe or you don't. My wife does, and it's all good.

But I'm surprised about the uproar over Ed's comments- ever listen to his lyrics? He's an athiest, or agnostic, at least.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    smithnic wrote:
    Biggest problem in the world today!

Amen!
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    So, Karl Marx thought religion was the opium of the people. That kinda goes along with Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    RockMama wrote:
    You would not believe the prejudice against atheists in this country. I have had people cry, try to save me, think I am a bad person with no morals, question whether I should be working with people with disabilities, etc. etc. etc. It is amazing how we are taught to have respect for other people's spiritual beliefs, but if you are an atheist, there is no respect for that.

On the other side of the coin, so to speak, there are also many angry non Christians, whether athiests,or different non Christian faiths.

I will say this, and I will be careful to include those who may be in my Christian belief, as well as any of the other beliefs, maybe we are a just a tad bit too insecure these days? I mean why the hell would any of us need to get all caught up in what the others believe; usually others that don't even apply to our lives if we are so happy in what we find our peace in? And as for those who we are in close contact with, that we do have issues come up with, or those we have to see in our lives just because we are related to them, how about discussing the whether?

I make a beeline for any other subject when people bring up religion or politics. Many people pretend to wave their hippy flag and say, "hey ,man whatever. cool." But the truth is, when I say my take, they throw shit at me. No thanks..........

you know??????
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I am a believer but I have a few problems with "the church" or organized religion. I, for one, don't think you have to be in church every time the doors are open to be given consideration for entrance into Heaven. Of course, maybe that's me rationalizing because I never go.

So, as a believer it does not offend me in the least for Eddie or anyone else to simply state that they don't believe in God. I don't see that as disrespectful or mocking..simply a statement of fact or opinion. Bottom line: Ed's opinions on God and religion make no difference to me just as mine probably wouldn't make a difference to him. Listen to "I Am Mine."

Now, as a believer, should I be offended or feel like I am wrong for supporting someone who does not believe in my God? Perhaps; I'm sure some theologians would say that is the case. I really don't feel that way though. I don't share most of the political views Ed has, but that has never hindered my enjoyment of the music. I am also of the opinion that someone who refuses to listen to any opinion that differs in any way to their own is in dire danger of being very ignorant. Of course, Eddie didn't share any in-depth details for his non-belief, but he has certainly done so with the politics.

Ultimately, my vote is that it's not a big deal whether he believes in God or not nor is it an issue when he says it at a concert

again, I totally agree.........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    I believe in Zeus, so it's O.K. with me