Options

Ed's "I don't believe in God" comment at MSG

Comments

• Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,751
    There are just people that don't like other people voicing their opinion unless it's the same as theirs.

that's not where I'M coming from...but ok.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792
    PJammin' wrote:
    when it comes to God and something you hold dear to you, it's not stupid. i'm sure if i said something disrespectful to eddie about his daughter he wouldn't appreciate it either. whether he believes in God or not i don't really care. just have respect to some of your fans who do believe. that's all.

How is he disrespecting you buy saying he doesnt believe what you believe in? If you believe in god, nothing anyone says should effect that or upset you.

I dont understand fans who get mad about anything eddie says on stage, whether its god or war. Its part of the experience and if you're a fan you should know that. dont like it, buy a bootleg and fast forward.

It's like me willingly going to chuch and then complaining that they were talking about god the whole time.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    iluvcats wrote:
    ha ha ha! I had an Osmond 45 in the sixth grade. No I'll admit who it was, it was Tommy Lee. My hubby liked MC in high school and we went two years ago.
    Their music is much better than their singing. The prayer rubbed me the wrong way and it was about 100 degrees too.

:)

here's a tip...when you're going to see a band who has an album entitled "shout at the devil" don't be shocked if there might be some religious shenanigans....:D:D
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    Ed is a silly drunk but i still like him.

haha...me too. he's a sharing drunk too. he shared his bottle with me once.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    cutback wrote:

here's a tip...when you're going to see a band who has an album entitled "shout at the devil" don't be shocked if there might be some religious shenanigans....:D:D

I would not know that since I was not a fan :D
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    fully disagree

no mockery just a statement
    y is it disrespectful that u believe one thing and I another?

that's all

PJammin' wrote:
    God and religion are two different things, but i won't get into that. bottom line, he was making a mockery of God. whether people "get it" or not, it's disrespectful to people who believe in God. you're right, he has the right to voice his opinion. my main reason for posting in this thread was to express that it isn't stupid for some people. am i going to boycott pearl jam or make a big deal about it? no.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    cutback wrote:

p.s. but I see here who the MC fan is and it's not Fanch!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    iluvcats wrote:
    p.s. but I see here who the MC fan is and it's not Fanch!

hehe..no not a fan just have a lot of useless info in the brain....besides growing up in la in the 80's it was kinda hard not to know about the crue....;) :D
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    he said because of the war i don't believe in god
    then they played marker
    then mike screwed up the opening
    then ed said hope that wasn't an act of god
    then mike said I wrote it and i cant remember it
    then they started marker again

y would this start a ruckus?
    so he doesn't believe in god, ok, keep writing good songs and singing them wonderfully and having great shows

yay!

I can't speak for him, by all means, and I say that as a disclaimer to this next comment, to say that I do not know if this is the truth for him, but for me, I have expereinced this..........

There have been times when I have not gone as far as to not believe in Him, but have clearly wondered if He believed in me, when my life was going to shit (I thought) and I did not feel that He really cared.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    Open wrote:
    How is he disrespecting you buy saying he doesnt believe what you believe in? If you believe in god, nothing anyone says should effect that or upset you.

it doesn't affect me and i'm not upset. like someone else said, i'm not going to get into it because these threads never go anywhere. i don't know what the other thread was about, but i simply wanted to state that it's not dumb or stupid to some people. period.
  • Options
    fully disagree

no mockery just a statement
    y is it disrespectful that u believe one thing and I another?

that's all

ok...he was making a joke about God. well, to me, God is not a joke so it's not funny. anyway, i'm moving on. not going to get caught up in this thread. i stated my opinion...as did others. have a nice day. :)
  • Options
    He's a musician not a comedian. So, one doesn't go to listen to them expecting to laugh, you expect to jam to great music! (And hear Eddies typical rants whether you agree with them or not - that's what he's done...for YEARS!) I hope everyone did!

I'm pissed as hell they were HERE and somehow, I didn't even KNOW it!!! I've flown all over to hear their shows and I missed THAT show, drats!
  • Options
    wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,408
    PJammin' wrote:
    ok...he was making a joke about God.

So apparently, saying what you believe in means you are making fun of people who believe something different, is that it?!

Well then, as an atheist, I am mortally offended by the fact that you expressed a belief in something different than me. How dare you!

Relax!
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    god... its way worse to mistake Leetch's number as 11 (the captain) than to say he doesnt beleive in god!!!!!!!
  • Options
    lateralus963lateralus963 Posts: 381
    PJammin' wrote:
    when it comes to God and something you hold dear to you, it's not stupid. i'm sure if i said something disrespectful to eddie about his daughter he wouldn't appreciate it either. whether he believes in God or not i don't really care. just have respect to some of your fans who do believe. that's all.

I don't understand why not believing the same things as some of your fans is disrespecting them... All he said was "I dont believe in god"... he say didn't "Fxxx God" or anything aggressive like that. All he said was he doesn't believe. Just like it is ok for us to say we dont agree with Pearl Jam beliefs, it is ok for them to not agree with ours. I am sure Eddie wouldn't get all bent out of shape if some one went up to him and said "I believe in God". We need to give him and all people of that matter the respect of listen and respecting their opinions and believes even if they are not the same as our own.
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Good to know there are other poeple out there with some common sense!! :)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    phillyfanphillyfan Posts: 831
    I don't understand why not believing the same things as some of your fans is disrespecting them... All he said was "I dont believe in god"... he say didn't "Fxxx God" or anything aggressive like that. All he said was he doesn't believe. Just like it is ok for us to say we dont agree with Pearl Jam beliefs, it is ok for them to not agree with ours. I am sure Eddie wouldn't get all bent out of shape if some one went up to him and said "I believe in God". We need to give him and all people of that matter the respect of listen and respecting their opinions and believes even if they are not the same as our own.
    right
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • Options
    rival9500rival9500 Posts: 543
    personally, I think God is too big for religion. That is my opinion and I respect the differences that everyone has in their opinions. Believe what you want to...think for yourself.

By the way, could someone post exactly what Ed said about Carlin. All I keep reading about is how he mentioned George, but not specifically what he said about him. Ed and George Carlin are 2 of my very few heroes. Thanks.

"A businessman can;t hold a candlestick to a clergyman"
    ~GC
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • Options
    jam_headjam_head Posts: 125
    ed goes back and forth on this...at one of the gorge shows he made a reference to god before given to fly and marker in the sand
    7/1/03- DC, 7/12/03- Hershey, 9/28/04- Boston, 10/1/04- Reading, 10/3/05- Philly, 5/27/06- Camden I, 5/28/06- Camden II, 5/30/06- DC, *7/22/06- Gorge I, 7/23/06- Gorge II*, 6/20/08- Camden II, 6/22/08- DC, *6/24/08- MSG I, 6/25/08- MSG II*
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    God gave man free will, so Ed saying he hates God because of war is just ignorant over everything else. Ignore it and move on. Thats what I do when he says something dumb like that.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    krzzzymarykrzzzymary Posts: 458
    jam_head wrote:
    ed goes back and forth on this...at one of the gorge shows he made a reference to god before given to fly and marker in the sand

I was thinking the same thing.
    I remember that.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    Don't see what his personal beliefs have to do with the band and its music. Besides anybody who has followed PJ for years already were aware of Eddie's POV on this matter. Google or watch youtube interviews he's done if you really want to know his stance as he's discussed his thoughts on the subject directly. Makes no difference to me - he is an awesome lyricist and vocalist that is part of a band I enjoy listening to and seeing and that's what matters to me.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    This was the Carlin quote before Marker in the Sand:

"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."

I don't think Eddie is a fan of religion or government. I think it's a great quote and a perfect feeder for Marker in the Sand. MSG 1 he dedicated Do the Evolution to Carlin as well. Stop getting your panties in a bunch people. You don't have to believe in EVERYTHING Eddie Vedder says. Eddie probably wouldn't like you if you did!
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • Options
    spatspat Posts: 644
    i could care less what ed believes in, but if he's going to talk about his beliefs publicly on stage, he could at least give it to us straight! like the other poster said, he goes back and forth, for example: at camden 1, he was talking about tim russert's memorial service, and how incredible it was that there was a double rainbow outside after "somewhere over the rainbow" was sung for him. then he made the vague comment saying "who knows how many levels there are to this thing", sounds like he was acknowledging life after death. can you have life after death without a god?
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I thought that he thanked god and then added "who I don't even believe in"

Yeah it was more like that. Actually he may have even said, "I don't really know if I believe in him."
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    hmm

does it bother anyone else that matt always smacks ed's butt?
  • Options
    Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Yeah it was more like that. Actually he may have even said, "I don't really know if I believe in him."

I'll have to confirm it when the Boot comes out, but night one at MSG he thanked God and then said "Who I don't even believe in". that's what I remember, but the Boot will know for sure.
  • Options
    Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    does it bother anyone else that matt always smacks ed's butt?

Yes. I'm a little jealous.
  • Options
    hmm u want to b matt or ed?

It bugs me

lol
    at msg ed did the hanging off the shoulders thing and matt patted his butt but instead got his back and then matt bent over a little to pat his but proper, wtf!?

really it bugs me
    Yes. I'm a little jealous.
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    If anyone cares to hear it, I captured it before Watchtower. You can hear it clear as day. It was just a joke. Calm down. If you recall the LATG DVD, he said "it's faith in something bigger," no one ridiculed him for potentially offended the atheists in attendance. Anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0RFOMwwFDc

It's funny because you can clearly hear a woman say "Oh no!" A few seconds after he says it.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume