Options

Ed's "I don't believe in God" comment at MSG

googoo Posts: 226
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
what even brought it up anyway? I saw that this was one of the topics that caused a ruckus on this forum just a few hours ago which has obviously been deleted. did he just randomly throw it out there, or did he find a way to work it into one of his rants? just curious. what exactly was it that he said anyway?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    he said because of the war i don't believe in god
    then they played marker
    then mike screwed up the opening
    then ed said hope that wasn't an act of god
    then mike said I wrote it and i cant remember it
    then they started marker again

y would this start a ruckus?
    so he doesn't believe in god, ok, keep writing good songs and singing them wonderfully and having great shows

yay!
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,104
    Mike did a lot of vocal things at MSG didn't he? Between the speaking and singing.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Mike did a lot of vocal things at MSG didn't he? Between the speaking and singing.
    What's this about Mike singing?
  • Options
    Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    I thought that he thanked god and then added "who I don't even believe in"
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,104
    oktacoma wrote:

He sund the first verse of Black Diamond (see the videos that LeilaMoonTurtle posted)
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options

Because there are a lot of people on this board that are uptight over stupid shit.
  • Options
    not debating if it is stupid or not

I just think it odd that people would look to a rock band for religion

sooo
    yea
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    he said because of the war i don't believe in god
    then they played marker
    then mike screwed up the opening
    then ed said hope that wasn't an act of god
    then mike said I wrote it and i cant remember it
    then they started marker again

so he doesn't believe in god, ok, keep writing good songs and singing them wonderfully and having great shows

yay!

Nah ... that's not it at all. He used a George Carlin quote to set up "Marker"

The "I don't believe in God" thing was much, much later during one of the encores.

The rest of your Marker story, however, is correct.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    He said "I want to thank the god that I do not believe in." Everyone laughed.. WHO CARES.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    haha r u sure?

the joke I remember, it is actually one of my faves of GC

well

either way

I don't get the ruckus

besides isn't marker pretty much a bunch of guys calling god out? so y would u be offended about his remarks if the song exists

ugh
    y am engaging?
    lol

Nah ... that's not it at all. He used a George Carlin quote to set up "Marker"

The "I don't believe in God" thing was much, much later during one of the encores.

The rest of your Marker story, however, is correct.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,752
    Because there are a lot of people on this board that are uptight over stupid shit.

when it comes to God and something you hold dear to you, it's not stupid. i'm sure if i said something disrespectful to eddie about his daughter he wouldn't appreciate it either. whether he believes in God or not i don't really care. just have respect to some of your fans who do believe. that's all.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    he started black diamond (which apprently is a hit in some places)

throughout the whole song I thought they were singing bang bang bang

but it was matt singing black diamond

oktacoma wrote:
  • Options
    PJammin' wrote:
    when it comes to God and something you hold dear to you, it's not stupid. i'm sure if i said something disrespectful to eddie about his daughter he wouldn't appreciate it either. whether he believes in God or not i don't really care. just have respect to some of your fans who do believe. that's all.

That's where our opinion differs. To me religion is stupid. All forms of it. You on the other hand may feel differently about it. I don't care if he believes in God either, but he has the right to voice his opinion on the subject just like you and I do.
  • Options
    how was he disrespectful?

all he said was he doesn't believe in god

I guess if u weren't at the show it is hard to understand

I think it is best wait get the boot and then have opinions, but that remark about someone's kid is not fair

PJammin' wrote:
  • Options
    krzzzymarykrzzzymary Posts: 458
    He said "I want to thank the god that I do not believe in." Everyone laughed.. WHO CARES.

I actually think that is pretty funny!
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Thats how it was...he said something like thank God, who I don't believe in...it was just a quick throwaway line--not a major theological statement or anything like that.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    PJammin' wrote:

he didn't say you shouldn't believe in god, he said he didn't :rolleyes:
  • Options
    cutback wrote:

There are just people that don't like other people voicing their opinion unless it's the same as theirs. That's the way it's been and unfortunately that's the way it will always be. I couldn't care less what Eddie or anyone else says. Whether it be about religion, my kids, my family......I don't give a fuck. We're all allowed to have a voice and freedom to choose what WE think is right. Not what other people tell us what we SHOULD believe in or do.
  • Options
    religion does not equate god

That's where our opinion differs. To me religion is stupid. All forms of it. You on the other hand may feel differently about it. I don't care if he believes in God either, but he has the right to voice his opinion on the subject just like you and I do.
  • Options
    religion does not equate god

True

Just for the record, I don't believe in God and I feel that believing in God is stupid. It's a false hope.

ooops, am I allowed to say that?
  • Options
    hmm ok

y is it false hope though?

True

Just for the record, I don't believe in God and I feel that believing in God is stupid. It's a false hope.

ooops, am I allowed to say that?
  • Options
    hmm ok

y is it false hope though?

Becaue it doesn't exist. Hoping for something that doesn't exist would be a false hope. Again this is just MY opinion. I'm not going to get in to the whole religious discussion here. It never ends up well and there are always going to be grey areas and people not agreeing.
  • Options
    OK

I still don't get the hope part though

fair enough

Becaue it doesn't exist. Hoping for something that doesn't exist would be a false hope. Again this is just MY opinion. I'm not going to get in to the whole religious discussion here. It never ends up well and there are always going to be grey areas and people not agreeing.
  • Options

God and religion are two different things, but i won't get into that. bottom line, he was making a mockery of God. whether people "get it" or not, it's disrespectful to people who believe in God. you're right, he has the right to voice his opinion. my main reason for posting in this thread was to express that it isn't stupid for some people. am i going to boycott pearl jam or make a big deal about it? no.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    Ed is a silly drunk but i still like him.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    this was not at a pearl jam concert, I won't say the band's name: I left a concert due to the drummer making fun of God....a fake prayer with the F word in it.

This, after seeing partial frontal female nudity, sickened me.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    iluvcats wrote:
    this was not at a pearl jam concert, I won't say the band's name: I left a concert due to the drummer making fun of God....a fake prayer with the F word in it.

This, after seeing partial frontal female nudity, sickened me.

those crazy osmonds....;) :D
  • Options
    cutback wrote:

thanks for explaining something i already understood. :)
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    cutback wrote:
    those crazy osmonds....;) :D

ha ha ha! I had an Osmond 45 in the sixth grade. No I'll admit who it was, it was Tommy Lee. My hubby liked MC in high school and we went two years ago.
    Their music is much better than their singing. The prayer rubbed me the wrong way and it was about 100 degrees too.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more