Options

Ed's "I don't believe in God" comment at MSG

Comments

• Options
    spatspat Posts: 644
    "I'd like to thank God, who I don't believe in for giving me support"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0RFOMwwFDc

so now, i ask ya (in my best marisa tomei voice from my cousin vinny) how can he acknowlege life after death just a few nights prior in camden and still not believe in god? maybe he just likes to get people riled up and engage us in this type of convo!
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:
    If anyone cares to hear it, I captured it before Watchtower. You can hear it clear as day. It was just a joke. Calm down. If you recall the LATG DVD, he said "it's faith in something bigger," no one ridiculed him for potentially offended the atheists in attendance. Anyway...

It's funny because you can clearly hear a woman say "Oh no!" A few seconds after he says it.

lol too quick for me
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    over_bends wrote:
    If anyone cares to hear it, I captured it before Watchtower. You can hear it clear as day. It was just a joke. Calm down. If you recall the LATG DVD, he said "it's faith in something bigger," no one ridiculed him for potentially offended the atheists in attendance. Anyway...

It's funny because you can clearly hear a woman say "Oh no!" A few seconds after he says it.

I don't know. Didn't sound like a joke. Sounded like a bitter sort of pissed off. Whatever, its his life.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,418
    ha I was wrong and the other dude was wrong

so weird
    I went to dc and both msg shows and I wasn't sure what happened and when.

Imagine how it is for them, with that thought I officially volunteer to tour with them for the rest of their career as to complete a study which will allow the public a better understanding of how they feel during tours.

:)

over_bends wrote:

• Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    culot4 wrote:
    I don't know. Didn't sound like a joke. Sounded like a bitter sort of pissed off. Whatever, its his life.

To me it sounded like a snarky, sarcastic voice. Anything but serious as far as professing his faith on the stage goes.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    spat wrote:
    lol too quick for me

Ha! Atleast it was my video you were linking to. :)
    Yield!

• Options
    Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    hmm u want to b matt or ed?

Matt of course
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    edit
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:
    Ha! Atleast it was my video you were linking to. :)

oh those are your videos?! good job! i saw the back of mine and my friends' heads during indifference :)
  • Options
    I have to figure out my feelings about this and y it bugs me

Matt of course
  • Options
    spat wrote:
    oh those are your videos?! good job! i saw the back of mine and my friends' heads during indifference :)

Thanks a lot! They were my first time recording anything and was shocked when I uploaded them to my computer to find out how well they turned out. Hearing about people seeing themselves in the videos has actually been one of the most fun parts about putting them up.
    Yield!

• Options
    I have video I want to upload but don't know how to :(

I've never recorded on my digital camera and so far the pics were fine

yea just thought I'd share that

Anything to keep this awesome thread going
    :)

over_bends wrote:
    Thanks a lot! They were my first time recording anything and was shocked when I uploaded them to my computer to find out how well they turned out. Hearing about people seeing themselves in the videos has actually been one of the most fun parts about putting them up.
  • Options
    I have video I want to upload but don't know how to :(

Don't know how to upload to youtube? Try clicking on that big yellow button in the top right that says UPLOAD.
  • Options
    googoo Posts: 226
    over_bends wrote:

wonder why everyone cheered and went wild when he made that comment... it's too easy to simply put that you don't believe in something. but when someone states that they DO believe in something and WHY, now that's worthy of a clap. this is sad stuff.
  • Options
    PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    Here's my take on the whole "faith in something bigger" vs. "who I don't believe in" thing:

Perhaps he's like a friend I had in high school. He didn't think there was a God, persay, but he kind of hoped there was something out there kind of guiding us. Like, maybe the spirits of others who have gone before us (which Ed seems to sometimes reference - i.e. the Russert thing). Or it could be another "force" entirely (nature?)

Now, that said. I don't think that is any more or less crazy than believing there is a God. It's just some sort of "hope" to hang on to. Whether it is a God or spirits or a life force or whatever. And it doesn't make you "WEAK" if you believe in something like that! What harm is there in something like that? And there's nothing wrong in believing in NOTHING like that either

Now, step back and think about what I just wrote and realize that it is completely separate from "religion" - which is far more structured and can, in fact, be damaging if you hold too strictly to it.

I find that in society, we hold labels as far too indicative of who we are or what we believe. For instance, I do believe in God. Technically, I am a Christian. I do go to church, to set aside time every week to say "thanks, big guy." Still, I understand that the Earth is millions of years old. I understand that homosexuals shouldn't be treated differently. I understand that there was, in fact, evolution of man. Yet, I all too often get lumped in with everyone else. Yet, I understand the anger that the bounds of religions can cause when those ideals are archaic and misguided - but to be received with vitriol just because I identified myself as a "Catholic" once (which actually DID happen in real life) seems to be a little on the hypocritical side. :(
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    I can't believe this thread is still going on. It was a throwaway line. That's it.

I swear to God, if Ed saw how every single word that came out of his mouth was parsed and dissected on this site -- with some people obviously looking to invent reasons to be offended -- he'd probably never go on stage again.

Jesus people, get a life.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Here's my take on the whole "faith in something bigger" vs. "who I don't believe in" thing:

Perhaps he's like a friend I had in high school. He didn't think there was a God, persay, but he kind of hoped there was something out there kind of guiding us. Like, maybe the spirits of others who have gone before us (which Ed seems to sometimes reference - i.e. the Russert thing). Or it could be another "force" entirely (nature?)

Now, that said. I don't think that is any more or less crazy than believing there is a God. It's just some sort of "hope" to hang on to. Whether it is a God or spirits or a life force or whatever. And it doesn't make you "WEAK" if you believe in something like that! What harm is there in something like that? And there's nothing wrong in believing in NOTHING like that either

Now, step back and think about what I just wrote and realize that it is completely separate from "religion" - which is far more structured and can, in fact, be damaging if you hold too strictly to it.

I find that in society, we hold labels as far too indicative of who we are or what we believe. For instance, I do believe in God. Technically, I am a Christian. I do go to church, to set aside time every week to say "thanks, big guy." Still, I understand that the Earth is millions of years old. I understand that homosexuals shouldn't be treated differently. I understand that there was, in fact, evolution of man. Yet, I all too often get lumped in with everyone else. Yet, I understand the anger that the bounds of religions can cause when those ideals are archaic and misguided - but to be received with vitriol just because I identified myself as a "Catholic" once (which actually DID happen in real life) seems to be a little on the hypocritical side. :(

Some people think about this shit WAY too much. It's not a big deal. Why would anyone really give a fuck?
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    butterfly1 wrote:
    ..it was just a quick throwaway line--not a major theological statement or anything like that.

glad it was a quick statement. it'll be easy to use my mp3-editor to cut this out immediately.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867

well, said. on many of your points, I totally agree. I am not Catholic, but I was born into the Greek Orthodox Religion, (one I have not practiced for years and yet hold very dear memories of the men chanting and making me feel very close to God's peace), then married a Catholic guy, dabbled in that faith and then became a "born again" Christian, and realized that, faith is more about how I live and less about high fiving my fellow Christians, saying how awesome we are........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Kingmidget wrote:

That about sums it up for me !

"I worship the sun"

Good Stuff

"I pray to Joe Pesci"

I saw in this thread about Ed being a hypocrite...what's more hypocritical then Religion ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    I mean seriously!

hmm

does it bother anyone else that matt always smacks ed's butt?
  • Options
    still thinking here

It bugs me

lol
    at msg ed did the hanging off the shoulders thing and matt patted his butt but instead got his back and then matt bent over a little to pat his but proper, wtf!?

really it bugs me
  • Options
    still thinking here

I think it bothers Ed more???

That is so weird, does he really do that??????

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    yes he does

I'm hinking he is rying the whole sports thing where they smack each others butt

yea how about no

lol

it bugs me

writersu wrote:
    I think it bothers Ed more???

That is so weird, does he really do that??????
  • Options
    yes he does

I'm hinking he is rying the whole sports thing where they smack each others butt

yea how about no

lol

it bugs me

I do not even want to think about it.........you know?

Maybe he is trying to make all of the female fans jealous?

• Options
    alogsdonalogsdon Posts: 2
    he can say what ever the hell he wants, as long as they keep making kick ass music and put on killer shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sometimes i don't like it when he goes into one of his political rants, but it's a tiny price to pay to see one of the greatest bands ever!!!!!!!
    Pittsburgh 2003
    State College 2003
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Washington, D.C. 2008
  • Options
    and some guys

writersu wrote:
    I do not even want to think about it.........you know?

Maybe he is trying to make all of the female fans jealous?
  • Options
    FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    Threads like these are drama bait and nothing more. Useless, sniveling nonsense about offending people's love for evolved mythology and its use as both a guiding tool (good) and a tool of judgement and division (fuck you).

Since we're on topic, and Ed quoted the late, great GC before Marker, here's a particularly glorious rant of Carlin's that pretty well encapsulates the entire concept of organized religion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o
  • Options
    PJammin' wrote:
    when it comes to God and something you hold dear to you, it's not stupid. i'm sure if i said something disrespectful to eddie about his daughter he wouldn't appreciate it either. whether he believes in God or not i don't really care. just have respect to some of your fans who do believe. that's all.

I'm with Eddie in that I don't believe in God but I could care less that you do. It doesn't BOTHER ME that you do and it shouldn't bother you if Eddie or anyone else do not. The point is it isn't "disrespectful" for anyone to say they don't believe in god. Quite frankly, that's just silly. How was he disrespecting you by saying he doesn't believe what you beleive? So by your train of thought you are disrespecting everyone who doesn't believe everytime you announce your love of god?? Of course not. Believe what you believe and be content with that. Don't worry so much about those of us who "don't believe". My god some people are way too uptight, especially about religion. Peace
    Up here in my tree...

Albuquerque 2000
    Denver 2006
    Chicago 2009
    Seattle 2013