Options

Children of the 70s and 80s

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    these "popped" into my head a few days ago :oops:
    600full-popples-screenshot.jpg

Popples because where i work we sell something that kinda looks like them and also my sister had one :lol:

Wuzzles because I was watching the Phills/Brewers game and the Brewers manager is Ron Roenicke (also played for the Phills in the 80's). Anywho is last name always reminded me of a character on the Wuzzles called Rhinokey and had either a commercial or part of the theme song stuck in my head everytime i heard is name. "Rhinokey up in a tree" :lol:
    :lol: I just happened to see this on a rerun on Robot Chicken tonight! :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZNzxFie ... ata_player
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    8d648d5b.jpg
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    norm wrote:
    8d648d5b.jpg

We had that one and another set... maybe encyclopedia britannica ...guess my parents wanted to make sure I became a whale penis..I mean a dork.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    norm wrote:
    8d648d5b.jpg

awesome. we had those on a shelf - right next to my mom's Barry Manilow 8-tracks. And yes, I know all the words to Mandy, I Write the Songs, Copa Cobana, etc.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,301
    pjhawks wrote:
    we organized and officiated our own games, settled our own disputes during said games..capture the flag, kick the can, wiffle ball, basketball, street hockey, etc. we didn't have play dates, we called, knocked on doors or just went outside and met up with the other neighborhood kids.

our parents didn't know or need to know where we were every second of every day. we went and said we'd be back later...and we came back later.
    I was talking to some Australian friends about this when we were all in Dublin last month. They couldn't believe that it was still light outside at 9.30 at night. I told them that when I was growing up in Wales every evening was the same: home from school, quickly throw some dinner down, then grab your BMX (no helmet of course) and head outside.

My parents' only real rule was "Be back before it gets dark" which was usually around 9.30/10pm. We didn't have mobile phones and I never wore a watch so they had no way of knowing where we were as we hadn't really made any plans. We just went from friend's house to friend's house until we decided what we wanted to do. Sometimes we didn't even know all of the people we were hanging out with, we'd start a football game in the park and people would just join in.

I know I won't be able to give my kids the same freedom. Partly because society is more dangerous and playgrounds are more like hunting grounds, and partly because if I send them outside to play they'll be the only ones there!

Damn I feel old.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    norm wrote:
    8d648d5b.jpg

Those are still sitting on the shelf at my parent's house. Oh the plagiarism that those endured when I was in school. :lol:
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,948
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    these "popped" into my head a few days ago :oops:
    600full-popples-screenshot.jpg

Popples because where i work we sell something that kinda looks like them and also my sister had one :lol:

Wuzzles because I was watching the Phills/Brewers game and the Brewers manager is Ron Roenicke (also played for the Phills in the 80's). Anywho is last name always reminded me of a character on the Wuzzles called Rhinokey and had either a commercial or part of the theme song stuck in my head everytime i heard is name. "Rhinokey up in a tree" :lol:
    :lol: I just happened to see this on a rerun on Robot Chicken tonight! :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZNzxFie ... ata_player

:lol: I had never seen that before
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    dynasty.jpg
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mark%2B2.jpg
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    1912-tarzan-er-burroughs.JPG
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I heard on the news today: "The class of 2014 don't know what a plane ticket looks like"

:| I remember getting that cool folder with the ticket and boarding pass in it...to have that cardboard thing printed with your name and flight on it..."don't lose the other ticket or you can't get home!"
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I heard on the news today: "The class of 2014 don't know what a plane ticket looks like"

:| I remember getting that cool folder with the ticket and boarding pass in it...to have that cardboard thing printed with your name and flight on it..."don't lose the other ticket or you can't get home!"

:lol: That and also actually getting hot meals on flights!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Waiting for next year... Posts: 3,365
    RKCNDY wrote:

I also heard that this year's college freshman never lived in a world where Kurt Cobain was alive. :cry::cry: and that Robert De Niro is thought of as Greg Focker's long-suffering father-in-law, not as Vito Corleone or Jimmy Conway. :o :? :cry:
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

not getting them might not be a bad thing
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

not getting them might not be a bad thing

I remember getting real utensils when you got your 'chicken or beef' plate. With the airline's name printed on it. YES that was in coach! Back when you could smoke on the plane AND in the airport where ever you damn pleased.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    For some reason we had one of these down the street from where I grew up...

rax.jpg?w=300&h=277

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    If you had a pickup, it needed to have a roll bar and KC lights.

toyota-truck-back-to-the-future-9160.jpg
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

If you currently own a pickup, it needs to have a roll bar and KC lights. :thumbup:
  • Options
    London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    The Dr. Demento radio show. I believe it was on Sunday nights.

It aired on WYSP in Philly.
  • Options

I wanted that truck in the worst way.
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    We are the last generation that learned to play in the street.
    We are the first that played video games, see cartoons in color and went to amusement parks.
    We were the last to record songs of the radio on cassettes and we are the pioneers of the walkman and chatrooms.
    We learned how to program the VCR before anyone else, play with the atari, nintendo, and believed that the internet would be a free world all on a 56kbit modem.
    We traveled in cars without seat belts or air-bags.
    We rode our bicycles down the road without brakes or helmets.
    We never had cell phones or pagers but still kept in touch.
    We did not have play stations, 99 television stations, flat screens, surround sounds, mp3s, ipods, computers, and broadband, but nevertheless we had a great time.

Wrong
    True
    True
    True
    Okay
    I do that too
    Sure
    Probably
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Was just thinking about this show yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6j8EiWIVZs
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    My 10 & 8 year olds don't know how to open a milk carton. It was hiliarious watching them try this past weekend.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    I was in a 1970 Chevelle with my 10 year old niece this weekend and she asked me what the handle to roll down the window was.

:fp:

:lol:
  • Options
    Anyone ever take a lick'n from a chicken?

thumbnail.aspx?q=4940724947976500&id=6211264ccdc49a7baf89e51115844556
  • Options
    $(KGrHqZ,!joE1J3JY!8NBN(tJfJ)3!~~0_35.JPG
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4OsdWvy0qcm6IwzS9ZcmG2HOTo-cPVV5jp4Ed4HYeBWOeNCJD

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    RKCNDY wrote:
    For some reason we had one of these down the street from where I grew up...

rax.jpg?w=300&h=277

I haven't thought about this in years!!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    chicken_baseball_bunch_large2.jpg?w=470&h=370
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    chicken_baseball_bunch_large2.jpg?w=470&h=370

Best show ever. Saturdays right before this week in baseball and then the Saturday game. Loved it. :mrgreen: