Options

Children of the 70s and 80s

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Malroth said:

on long car trips, there were three kids, one would sleep on the floorboard, one on the seat, the other on the ledge in the back window.

We did this! Actually, two of us were on the floor. One from one direction and one from the other direction. This is probably why I can sleep anywhere.

Did anyone mention riding in the back of the truck on the side? (Not the inside of the bed.) We never fell off. And yes, that was while driving down the road.

The door didn't latch right on one of the cars and when my mom pulled out of my grandparent's driveway, I slid across the vinyl backseat and almost out the door. (No seatbelts were worn.) My sister grabbed me or I would have landed on the roadway or into the neighbor's mailbox post.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    School wasn't called off based soley on the FORECAST of snow. It had to actually snow and there had to be significant accumulation. Most of the time, we'd go to school as it was snowing and, if anything, we'd get dismissed early.
    I can't tell you how many times in recent years that school has been called off when its 42 and raining...all because they forecast snow the day before.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    nowadays, the SUVs line up to drop off and pick up little jimmy and sally at school. I either walked or rode my bike to school everyday from 1st grade until I bought and paid $350 for my first car...then, I was hot shit, and drove.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    They never called off school for snow...I remember waiting 2 hours for the bus, then I remember a different bus showing up, they packed us on there, so there were 2 bus routes full of kids on one bus, lots of us were standing, and then the bus got stuck in snow traffic for 2½ hours...when we FINALLY got to the school, they decided, "oh, school is closed now because half the teachers can't make it in"

Kids these days probably will never ever hear a dial tone or a busy signal. Do they even know how a touch-tone or rotary phone works?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Hell we still got paddled in the deans office.Good times.

Did anyone see they are reworking The Breakfast Club for theatrical encores.Now a whole new generation will get a glimpse.
  • Options
    Did you go to catholic school rr? or was it public school?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    have u seen the video where they give kids walkmans? lol
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Public school(Palm Beach County) for all but 9&10th grade.That was private school years but non religious,then back to glory of Florida public schools.Class of 86
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

have u seen the video where they give kids walkmans? lol

yes! so funny! "how much music fits on this thing!?!?!?"
    rr165892 said:

Public school(Palm Beach County) for all but 9&10th grade.That was private school years but non religious,then back to glory of Florida public schools.Class of 86

ah...Mr RK is the same class as you...I believe he said he got paddled too, public school.
    Think they got rid of paddling by the time I got to school, though I do remember the teacher sitting on a kid who wouldn't calm down. He was a big kid and she was a large lady as well...it was kinda funny at the time.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    He's obviously a man of great style and taste.lol
    We also had the privilege of partying with some of our teachers.Smoking pot and drinking was not unheard of with certain faculty members.Had a PE coach host a party and about 7 kids puked wine coolers into his shag carpet.We had to run laps the following Monday as punishment.My how times change
    I also remember In middle school my dad was shtooping my Art teacher.(My folks were divorced)That was a bit odd going to class every day.Good times
  • Options
    ahahahhahahahha!!!!

I remember in jr. high, the teacher would always give the guy behind be goo-goo eyes. He was a 9th grader in the 7th grade English class. We all figured they were getting it on.

Then in High School, my English teacher was such a ditz, she would wear super short big bird yellow shorts...the kids talked about her being a lush and hiding wine in her filing cabinet. She suddenly changed her name one year, and it turned out she married some kid's dad...he was one of those kids that never did his homework, always skipped class...it was weird. Maybe that's why he always skipped class.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    I'm sure the boys in class were fine with the yellow shorts.
  • Options
    She kinda looked like:

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,767
    deadendp said:

Malroth said:

on long car trips, there were three kids, one would sleep on the floorboard, one on the seat, the other on the ledge in the back window.

We did this! Actually, two of us were on the floor. One from one direction and one from the other direction. This is probably why I can sleep anywhere.

Did anyone mention riding in the back of the truck on the side? (Not the inside of the bed.) We never fell off. And yes, that was while driving down the road.

The door didn't latch right on one of the cars and when my mom pulled out of my grandparent's driveway, I slid across the vinyl backseat and almost out the door. (No seatbelts were worn.) My sister grabbed me or I would have landed on the roadway or into the neighbor's mailbox post.
    Riding in the back of the pickup was sooooo much fun, especially if the tail gate was down and we got to sit on that :)
    I don't think safety first was a phrase back then.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    frozenwithsaltfrozenwithsalt Texas Posts: 765
    OP couldn't have said it any better. During the summer I'd leave the house right after breakfast on my bike, my bathing suit and pool pass in my basket and enough change to go to Winns and get some popcorn, slushy and maybe a pack of garbage pail kids. Then all the kids would head to one of our houses for lunch and stay out until night when our moms were yelling down the street for us. We could run like the wind, had sleep overs, did pizza pranks and watched r rated movies when parents were at work.

Then came Nintendo. Everyone got fat and spent their days staring at screens...
  • Options
    we used to get paddled in front of everyone in an assembly....it was like throwing gladiators to the lions.
    rr165892 said:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Malroth said:

I remember that ledge.

one night in particular, my dad in probably about 1974 packed the family up at night to spontaneously go visit relatives in New Jersey, us from Pennsylvania. I remember our dog throwing up and us doing a short mile back to drop said dog , Pinky, back off with Grammy.

Along the New Jersey turnpike I remember "moon river" was playing, and !Look! ....up above was the full moon

....which my 6-year old self looked up at...

from the ledge.

that was the best
  • Options
    I remember hot summer days, and having to remember to bring a towel to sit on or I'd burn my rush on the hot vinyl seats of the ol' blue Pacer (yes, just like the one in Wayne's World-minus the flames)...'course I'd slide all over the place in the back because it was a bench seat and we didn't wear seat belts back then. Going around a corner...wheeee!

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    We had a station wagon. Wood paneling. CB radio. The family truckster. On long road trips, my sis and I would stretch out in the way back, watching the world whiz by through that huuuuge rear window.

There was a teacher in elementary school that paddled his students. I never had him. The one I remember had a jug of red wine in his bottom desk drawer. He would "discretely" fill his coffee mug. He was an awesome teacher; a poet.

Nothing better than dropping off my school books, grabbing my bike, and being gone for hours til sundown; home for dinner. Ma never worried where I had been.
  • Options
    My shop teacher always drank cold coffee from a gross old plastic 7-11 cup. Some of the kids said he put vodka in there, that's why it was cold.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,481
    rr165892 said:

Did anyone see they are reworking The Breakfast Club for theatrical encores.Now a whole new generation will get a glimpse.

Did they use a paddle literally and you get smacked across the ass?
    I use to get the leather strap with a Piece of rubber sandwiched between the 2 pieces of leather and we would get a couple a smacks across the palms. Got to feel this pleasure for the first time in grade 6. Still remember the principal's name....Mr. Kline
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Yes it was a paddle.Mr Stubbs,was the boys dean.He had holes drilled in it for aero dynamics .Had some saying carved into it.I just can't remember what.It was brown and heavily varnished.Got the buisness end a few times.Trick was act like it hurt more then it did.That way you only got 2-3 whacks.if you laughed(I only did that once) he would go to town on Ya.I think I got paddled once for selling and distributing Homemade Cinnamon toothpicks.The kind that would burn the skin off your lips.25 cents a piece.big money.I would take the proceeds and buy NFL /MLB team logo pencils in the school store.And more fries at lunch.
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

My shop teacher always drank cold coffee from a gross old plastic 7-11 cup. Some of the kids said he put vodka in there, that's why it was cold.

and.....didn't you also say.....you had a teacher getting it on with a student?

musta been a hell of a school.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Remember standing for the National anthem at the start of class? They don't do that anymore, do the year? Now the only place you hear the National anthem is at sporting events. And a lot of people just want to get it over with and start the game. I don't know why they bother.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options

Remember standing for the National anthem at the start of class? They don't do that anymore, do the year? Now the only place you hear the National anthem is at sporting events. And a lot of people just want to get it over with and start the game. I don't know why they bother.

Don't you mean the Pledge or did your school take it to whole new level.lol
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    They used to play the Canadian National anthem over the PA every morning at the start of the day. We all stood up next to our desks and listened while someone in the main office played the song from a tape cassette into the microphone lol.
  • Options
    Ohhhhh,your Canadian.That makes sense then.Disregard.Btw when we play u in Olympic hockey I always find that song annoying.hmmm
  • Options
    Our anthem is boring as all hell. Your anthem can't be beat. They should just sing it twice.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,767
    edited March 2015
    rr165892 said:

Ohhhhh,your Canadian.That makes sense then.Disregard.Btw when we play u in Olympic hockey I always find that song annoying.hmmm

That's because you realize it is the intro music to you losing....... =)
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

rr165892 said:

That's because you realize it is the intro music to you losing....... =)
    Exactly.sad,sad stuff every 4 years same shit.

Fuck ISIS,we should be invading Canada.