Options

Afghanistan

Comments

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,494
    The vaccine experts in my FB feed are now Afghanistan experts. 
    Funny how that happens. Previously were they experts on election and Constitutional law as well? 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    1. Covid
    2. Voting machines and associated state law
    3. Vaccines
    4. Afghanistan

You have some really smart friends who didn't pay attention in high school or go to college. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Covid
    3. Vaccines
    4. Afghanistan

You have some really smart friends who didn't pay attention in high school or go to college. 
    I remember back in 2008 I was pretty forward on FB.  I would post a lot of anti-McCain/Palin stuff and pro-Obama things thinking some of my idiot friends might think "you know Gern is a smart guy, maybe I am wrong about some of this shit" but that didn't work.  They think I'm stupid and I finally figured out that there is no way out for them.  

The internet will be the downfall of this stupid country.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Covid
    3. Vaccines
    4. Afghanistan

I remember back in 2008 I was pretty forward on FB.  I would post a lot of anti-McCain/Palin stuff and pro-Obama things thinking some of my idiot friends might think "you know Gern is a smart guy, maybe I am wrong about some of this shit" but that didn't work.  They think I'm stupid and I finally figured out that there is no way out for them.  

I can't believe that didn't work. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Covid
    3. Vaccines
    4. Afghanistan

I really thought I had the solution

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Covid
    3. Vaccines
    4. Afghanistan

anyone who was all-in on a ticket comprised of Sara Palin was unreachable. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Covid
    3. Vaccines
    4. Afghanistan

Qanon says "hold my beer"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Covid
    3. Vaccines
    4. Afghanistan

Yeah I didn't have much against McCain other than he went to the dark side and agreed to the Palin pick.

If you haven't seen "Game Change" on HBO it's great.  It lays out why they picked Palin (they had to in order to try to catch up) and the regrets they had.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Covid
    3. Vaccines
    4. Afghanistan

Yeah I didn't have much against McCain other than he went to the dark side and agreed to the Palin pick.

If you haven't seen "Game Change" on HBO it's great.  It lays out why they picked Palin (they had to in order to try to catch up) and the regrets they had.
    will check that out
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,231
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Covid
    3. Vaccines
    4. Afghanistan

Social media has been an accelerant. There always have been conspiracy theorists and loons. But now the drunk at the end of the bar can go online to share his thoughts and to find like-minded individuals, and once you have a chat room or FB group of Cliff Clavins encouraging each other and trying to outdo each other, you get QAnon.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Covid
    3. Vaccines
    4. Afghanistan

Social media has been an accelerant. There always have been conspiracy theorists and loons. But now the drunk at the end of the bar can go online to share his thoughts and to find like-minded individuals, and once you have a chat room or FB group of Cliff Clavins encouraging each other and trying to outdo each other, you get QAnon.
    Right,  now the outcasts and loons have a community.  I'm not sure the upside of the internet outweighs the negative. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    1. Covid
    3. Vaccines
    4. Afghanistan

Right,  now the outcasts and loons have a community.  I'm not sure the upside of the internet outweighs the negative. 
    Pre-pandemic I'd be inclined to disagree. now? yeah, not so sure. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    Maybe we should just evacuate all the Afghan women and children and whatever sane, non-misogynist men that are there and leave those women-hating Taliban creeps and their goats to have at each other. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,143
    UK Parliament has voted to hold the President of the United States in contempt over Afghanistan debacle. Biden ignored Boris Johnson’s request for a phone call for over 36 hours apparently. They’re none too happy about us over in Europe.  Chancellor merkel was talking smack earlier this week already.  

His canceling of the Contingency and Crisis Response Bureau prior to the Taliban taking over Afghanistan was obviously a poor decision as well, and him saying that the US didn’t have any troops in Syria is only making him look completely clueless. 

Up next: the press hides out in Delaware and eats a ton of ice cream.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Per the BBC….

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I saw a guy being interviewed on the news the other day, he served 4 tours in Afghanistan, to paraphrase him "if you think we did not make great gains, think again, look at how much they lost in only a week. think about how much they will lose in the coming months once the western press is gone and the US has evacuated everyone."

Anyways he has a point...

Sad situation

@brianlux is right...evacuate the woman and children and the ahgans that helped Nato...as for their men, they can stay there...

But I do agree with Biden if there is no willingness to fight for their homeland, why should the US sacrifice their women and men over there
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475

• Options

white guy: nice guy, down on his luck, really nice guy
    brown guy: TERRORIST! GO TO WAR!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475

white guy: nice guy, down on his luck, really nice guy
    brown guy: TERRORIST! GO TO WAR!
    Mo Brooks would have had a slightly different statement… proly… 

https://twitter.com/repmobrooks/status/1428422048368533515?s=21

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687

Haha!
    Hey, it's all right there on FaceBook.  You too can be an expert... on anything!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    Nothing on Afghanistan for awhile from my repub friends on fb, I m guessing the evacuation is getting more efficient? 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

Kevin Newman: Kabul shows the unflattering truth: Canada is slow, risk-averse and selfish

While French commandos in buses got their people out, we sent texts (in English) telling our friends to head to the airport on their own

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Rifles, Humvees and millions of rounds of ammo: Taliban celebrate their new American arsenal

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/21/politics/us-weapons-arsenal-taliban-afghanistan/index.html

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Nothing on Afghanistan for awhile from my repub friends on fb, I m guessing the evacuation is getting more efficient? 
    Or…the evidence of what this Administration is laid so bare even a senile old man could see the truth…oh, wait….
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    Or…the evidence of what this Administration is laid so bare even a senile old man could see the truth…oh, wait….
    Biden said in his presser that the Taliban is being cooperative in letting Americans past their checkpoints, and that Al-Quada have been completely run out of Afghanistan. An hour later, the Pentagon spokesman contradicted both of those claims. He said he’s concerned of reports that Americans have been beaten by the Taliban, and that Al-Quada is still in Afghanistan, but aren’t a threat to America in a 9/11 sort of way. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    senile old man? seriously? this is what the right has to cling to? senility (which is clearly false) and his son's laptop shenanigans. 

trump was a raging fucking loon for over 4 years and because biden stutters, he's "senile". well done, R's, well done. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Kevin Newman: Kabul shows the unflattering truth: Canada is slow, risk-averse and selfish

While French commandos in buses got their people out, we sent texts (in English) telling our friends to head to the airport on their own

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/afghanistan-second-military-flight-1.6148742
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

NP View: Trudeau let down our friends in Afghanistan — many will pay the ultimate price

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/np-view-trudeau-let-down-our-friends-in-afghanistan-many-will-pay-the-ultimate-price
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    senile old man? seriously? this is what the right has to cling to? senility (which is clearly false) and his son's laptop shenanigans. 

trump was a raging fucking loon for over 4 years and because biden stutters, he's "senile". well done, R's, well done. 
    Just because Trump was an idiot doesn’t mean Biden isn’t a little short of a full deck ;)
    hippiemom = goodness