Gary Clark Jr.

Comments

• He’s about to rightfully blow up.  I think this tour is your last chance to see him at smaller places.  This is about the best album to come out from anyone in the last 5 years.  

I LOVE HYPE. thanks! i'm gonna buy the new cd today just cause of this post  :)
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    LukinFan said:
    He's on Fallon tonight! 
    Thanks for the heads up...
    setting my DVR now!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    RS151862 said:
    He played Come Together and This Land on Stern this morning. Sounded great, and a nice interview too. 
    This Land
    https://youtu.be/8jj7NyrneWU

Come Together 
    https://youtu.be/KUYb-V4GYZc

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,592
    derbydave said:
    LukinFan said:
    He's on Fallon tonight! 
    Thanks for the heads up...
    setting my DVR now!!
    They played one of my favorite songs off of the new album.  I think that everything could have been turned up a bit though.  It's also possible that it's just that stage.
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    edited February 2019
    :bow::clap::rock_on:
    It's a hopeless situation...
    RS151862 said:
    He played Come Together and This Land on Stern this morning. Sounded great, and a nice interview too. 
    This Land
    https://youtu.be/8jj7NyrneWU

Come Together 
    https://youtu.be/KUYb-V4GYZc

I hate drawing parrallels, but that Come Together was great and reminded me a bit of when Lenny Kravitz covered American Woman in terms of taking it up a notch from the original. I honestly didn't think I would like it, but he nailed it. Thank goodness something will help push that Aerosmith version out as the most well known version outside the original. 
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,964
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    He also played an unedited version of "This Land" on the Daily Show, but I can't find a video of it. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,484
    I cannot stop listening to this album. Every song rips. He’s always been great live of course but it didn’t translate to the first two albums in my opinion. Different story here 
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Really like the album so far. Gutted I’m arriving in New Orleans the day he plays the New Orleans Jazz festival but won’t make the show in time. Not happy! 
    No ireland date this summer either. 
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Too many songs. Dig the title track and some of the fresher sounds he’s going with but anything over a dozen songs is usually a sign of bad self editing. 

I’ve gotta give at least a slight eye roll to him going the SJW route here as well. I’m all for fair treatment and if the event that conceived the title song happened more power to him. It just seems he trying to capitalize on a trend. 
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,887
    He’s about to rightfully blow up.  I think this tour is your last chance to see him at smaller places.  This is about the best album to come out from anyone in the last 5 years.  

Having seen him a dozen plus times in smaller venues, I was actually looking forward to seeing how his show would translate on bigger stages since his two SoCal shows are at the Santa Barbara and Hollywood Bowls. Bummer that both dates conflict with the weekend of Ohana. 
    Still need to give the full album a listen. Like the 10 or so songs I've already seen him play live since he's been road testing some of these for a while. Low Down Rolling Stone, Pearl Cadillac, and What About Us are some of my early favorites. 
    DewieCox said:
    Too many songs. Dig the title track and some of the fresher sounds he’s going with but anything over a dozen songs is usually a sign of bad self editing. 

I’ve gotta give at least a slight eye roll to him going the SJW route here as well. I’m all for fair treatment and if the event that conceived the title song happened more power to him. It just seems he trying to capitalize on a trend. 
    Are you a white male?
    http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-998-gary-clark-jr

Recent interview with Gary on Marc Maron's WTF podcast. Lots of great blues talk. Cool interview. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

kasedoug said:
    He’s about to rightfully blow up.  I think this tour is your last chance to see him at smaller places.  This is about the best album to come out from anyone in the last 5 years.  

Having seen him a dozen plus times in smaller venues, I was actually looking forward to seeing how his show would translate on bigger stages since his two SoCal shows are at the Santa Barbara and Hollywood Bowls. Bummer that both dates conflict with the weekend of Ohana. 
    Still need to give the full album a listen. Like the 10 or so songs I've already seen him play live since he's been road testing some of these for a while. Low Down Rolling Stone, Pearl Cadillac, and What About Us are some of my early favorites. 
    Thanks for the heads-up. I would love to see him at Hollywood Bowl, but it's that or RHCP that night. And it seems like the tickets to Gary Clark Jr. are going to be hard to come by unless it's the secondary market.

It's only March...
    but could definitely see this record ending up in my Top 5 records of the year!!

• kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,887
    edited March 2019
    tbergs said:
    kasedoug said:

Thanks for the heads-up. I would love to see him at Hollywood Bowl, but it's that or RHCP that night. And it seems like the tickets to Gary Clark Jr. are going to be hard to come by unless it's the secondary market.

The tickets for Gary's show at the Hollywood Bowl haven't gone on sale individually yet. The individual ticket on-sale for Bowl shows doesn't occur until early May. You can only get them as part of their 5+ show subscription series at the present moment. It's a big venue so I think the tickets will be easy to come by later. It's part of the KCRW World Festival which draws a bit of a crowd for that series, but I don't think tickets will be that tough. He typically sells out multi-night runs at the Fonda, and has played the Greek on his own, but this is his biggest headlining gig in town so far.
    Post edited by kasedoug on
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    So - his Indy show says 7:30PM.  Is there an opener on this tour?  Anyone seen him before to understand 1) When he will take the stage 2) How long his set is?  

Debating the drive on a Monday....stupid work.
    hippiemom = goodness
    kramer73 said:
    DewieCox said:

Are you a white male?
    What’s it matter?
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Never listened to him before this new album, which I’ve listened to a couple times now, and I love it. I also listened to the WTF podcast and found it quite enjoyable. I’m excited, dude is legit. Pearl Cadillac, Gotta get into Something, The Guitar Man, are the songs off the album that stick out so far to me, but all the songs are quality. Going to have to check out a show, and check out other stuff in catalog.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

edited March 2019
    DewieCox said:
    kramer73 said:
    DewieCox said:

Are you a white male?
    What’s it matter?
    It sounds like you're trying to tell a African-american man how to feel about racism in the 21st century.
    Post edited by kramer73 on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    kramer73 said:
    DewieCox said:
    kramer73 said:
    DewieCox said:

Are you a white male?
    What’s it matter?
    It sounds like you're trying to tell a African-american man how to feel about racism in the 21st century.
    I felt the same way, and I think criticizing the theme/feeling of the album as capitalizing on some SJW trend is unjustified and rather inappropriate.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited March 2019
    kramer73 said:
    DewieCox said:
    kramer73 said:
    DewieCox said:

Are you a white male?
    What’s it matter?

kramer73 said:
    DewieCox said:
    kramer73 said:
    DewieCox said:

Are you a white male?
    What’s it matter?
    Not at all. I don’t doubt he’s faced racism in his life. Hell, the lazy comparisons to Hendrix show that. I’m saying it’s a somewhat convenient turn of events for him in these times. Lead single is a song that drops the n word a ton of times from a guy that hasn’t made much of an attempt at social commentary in his music to this point. I’d have the same feelings about any band or artist taking this route.

I like the song and appreciate the message but right or wrong Im
    skeptical and it cheapens it a bit for me personally.

^^^I don't know, I would never make an assumption as to someone's intentions or motivations. The current course of our country and this administration should be plenty of reason for someone to come out full force like he did. Much like PJ did with Riot Act. I think you're too easily diminishing the message because of your assumptions.

tbergs said:
    ^^^I don't know, I would never make an assumption as to someone's intentions or motivations. The current course of our country and this administration should be plenty of reason for someone to come out full force like he did. Much like PJ did with Riot Act. I think you're too easily diminishing the message because of your assumptions.
    Pearl Jam was putting social commentary in most of their material from the beginning.

Im not trying to diminish the message. I’ve said I appreciate the message and why someone would feel the need to push that aspect. The eye rolling is aimed directly at GCJr and I have some skepticism with the timing and the way he’s using it as The promotional centerpiece for his album. 

I have no problem with politics in entertainment but the message can and will become cheapened when it is put into every aspect haphazardly. 

DewieCox said:
    tbergs said:
    Pearl Jam was putting social commentary in most of their material from the beginning.

Im not trying to diminish the message. I’ve said I appreciate the message and why someone would feel the need to push that aspect. The eye rolling is aimed directly at GCJr and I have some skepticism with the timing and the way he’s using it as The promotional centerpiece for his album. 

I have no problem with politics in entertainment but the message can and will become cheapened when it is put into every aspect haphazardly. 

I don't think there's anything haphazard about it.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    kramer73 said:
    DewieCox said:
    tbergs said:

I don't think there's anything haphazard about it.  
    I don't either, and I think it's an almost willfully cynical viewpoint of it and Gary Clarke Jr. There is no reason at all to assume the sentiment isn't genuine. Criticizing the timing makes no sense to me, since no matter when he released this over the past 3 years and for at least the next 2 years (or ANY time actually, throughout the history of America), any album like this would be "victim" to the same criticism. It's almost like saying a black man can't release an album that is very racially/politically charged without having their message cheapened by the fact that their album directly reflects what's happening in America right now. This makes no sense to me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata