Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,530
    MayDay10 said:
    That was a good Superbowl.  Bravo to both teams.  San Fran played great.  KC deserved it.  My MVP is Chris Jones.  He created havoc on every big 3rd down play. 

I was actually hoping they'd give the MVP to Chris Jones. He definitely gave the GOAT of interviews on New Heights.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,975
    Don't really know who's gonna win today. I think KC might pull out a victory like 27-23. But if SF wins I'd be fine with that as well.

not too bad of a prediction if i do say so myself. :wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,334
    edited February 12
    Entertaining but sloppy game. I thought both coaches coached too conservatively.

The better team won. Congrats to the Chefs. Deal with it, maga. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 12
    Serious question.  If the clock had run out in OT would the game have been over?
    No, time wouldn't have mattered.
    So my yelling at the TV with the clock running down was just wasted energy.
    Apparently the 49'ers were just as confused as you were. 

Also CBS did an absolutely terrible job explaining the rules. Having different rules in the playoffs vs regular season is dumb. Both offenses should always get the ball at least once. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,748
    MayDay10 said:
    That was a good Superbowl.  Bravo to both teams.  San Fran played great.  KC deserved it.  My MVP is Chris Jones.  He created havoc on every big 3rd down play. 

Yeah he should have won MVP.  He impacted so many of Purdy's throws all night.  Dude is going to get paid big time this offseason.

Refs really put the whistles away for this one.  They call ticky tack shit all season long and then practically nothing in the Super Bowl.  Bosa was held so many times and didn't get 1 call.  79 wrapped him around the neck and tackled him 1 play and nothing.  Knew the 49ers were screwed when they dominated the 1st half and only up 10-3 going into half.  
  • Options
    Serious question.  If the clock had run out in OT would the game have been over?

Also CBS did an absolutely terrible job explaining the rules. Having different rules in the playoffs vs regular season is dumb. Both offenses should always get the ball at least once. 
    The rules should be the same but they need to have a time limit on regular season OT. I also like how Americans get all upset about ties.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,520

Agreed, having different rules for the post season is very dumb.

I think I'm in the minority in that I like the older style for OT where a TD on the 1st drive = game over. Both teams just had 60 minutes to put up more points than the other; if you don't want the other team to win it on their 1st drive of OT, don't let them score a TD. That's football. if we're going the 'guaranteed possessions' route, the game shouldn't end until one team is ahead after an even number of possessions, like in college ball.

Indifference71 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Yeah he should have won MVP.  He impacted so many of Purdy's throws all night.  Dude is going to get paid big time this offseason.

Refs really put the whistles away for this one.  They call ticky tack shit all season long and then practically nothing in the Super Bowl.  Bosa was held so many times and didn't get 1 call.  79 wrapped him around the neck and tackled him 1 play and nothing.  Knew the 49ers were screwed when they dominated the 1st half and only up 10-3 going into half.  
    I'm all for 'letting them play' but at the same time, like w/ the OT rules there should be consistency from the regular season all the way through the championship game. Calling the game differently because of the stakes starts to feel like fixing the game... The rules are the rules, the importance of the game shouldn't impact how they're enforced (or not enforced for that matter). 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,522
    MayDay10 said:

Allowing Mahomes to linger and be within striking distance was my biggest concern. He makes teams pay for that, and it happened again. My son kept texting me saying they just need to stop him one time. Frustrating, but you have to give him and the Chiefs credit. Tough loss, and tough day to be a Niner fan, but they had a good year that the fans should be proud of.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,751
    edited February 12
    Mahomes is pretty ahead of Brady's pace right now. I won't dive into the stats. The eras were different, and Brady wasn't asked to or expected to do as much as Mahomes does (though even when adjusted for era, Mahomes has been better). But winning and awards are pretty universal regardless of era. And the comparison of Mahomes' first seven seasons versus Brady's isn't even close. 

They both sat the bench as rookies. So this is year 2 through 7 for both of them. 2001-2006 for Brady, 2018-2023 from Mahomes

AFC Championship appearances:
    Mahomes: 6 (every year)
    Brady: 4 (with one year of missed playoffs: 2002)

Super Bowls:
    Mahomes: 3-1
    Brady: 3-0

League MVPs:
    Mahomes: 2
    Brady: 0

Pro Bowls: 
    Mahomes: 6
    Brady: 3

Regular Season W/L:
    Mahomes: 73-22 (.768)
    Brady: 70-24 (.745)

And remember, since all anyone cares about is Super Bowl wins, Brady had a 10-year drought of no SB wins. Could that happen to Mahomes? Maybe. Can Mahomes play at a high level for 20 years like Brady? Maybe. But man, it's crazy that there's ANOTHER guy like this in the league.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,684

Romo explained it when they were getting close to goal line,  that the time was irrelevant.  Now they could have a little earlier but they did it.  

Why do you think the Niners were confused?
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Except they still love calling questionable defensive holding on key 3rd downs late in Super Bowls...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Niners aren't winning anything until Purdy can handle a blitz. He was terrible against it.  By contrast,  Mahomes burned SF multiple times throwing right to the vacated area. 
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,235
    SF players not knowing OT rules? That’s nuts
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    Edit to my comment, I see the ESPN article.  

And that's on Niners coaching staff.  One would hope they knew and deliberately chose to get the ball first to let their defense rest.  If not, well that's inexcusable.  It's bad that a few players didn't know, but probably doesn't change anything.  
  • Options
    The only reason to take the ball first would be to let your D rest. Maybe they did this, but there was a good delay with commercials and the coin toss and all that.

Otherwise it doesn't hold water - even with "wanting the 3rd possession." If the first team scores a TD you can score a TD and you can go for 2 to win. If the first team scores a FG, you go for the TD to win. If the first team scores nothing you just need a FG. And they have to stop you for 4 downs - really tough on the team that plays defense second. This is clearly something that should've been thought out before the playoffs. Whatever, same coach that tried to block Reddick with their backup TE and got Purdy's elbow destroyed - they always do something stupid in the end.

Niners blew it. It's not like an official signed sealed & delivered the game to the Chiefs...

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    Didn't think the Chiefs were all that good all year and didn't think they had it in them but then in playoffs beat Miami, Buffalo, Baltimore and the Forty Whiners to win it all again. Pretty damn impressive.  I really thought the Chiefs were cooked after the Mahomes INT but their defense came up big.  

AFC with two dynasties this century is pretty wild. Gotta suck to be a fan of the other teams in the AFC and have to face Brady and now Mahomes for over 20 years.  Good luck.
  • Options
    edited February 12
    mrussel1 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

And that's on Niners coaching staff.  One would hope they knew and deliberately chose to get the ball first to let their defense rest.  If not, well that's inexcusable.  It's bad that a few players didn't know, but probably doesn't change anything.  
    Shanahan is great at offensive schemes....pretty bad at a lot of other stuff. 

So his teams have now lost after giving up leads of 10, 10 and 25 in the Super Bowl. I know he was just the OC in one of them but---yeesh. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Entertaining but sloppy game. I thought both coaches coached too conservatively.

The better team won. Congrats to the Chefs. Deal with it, maga. lol
    😂😂
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,748
    Also, Romo was just horrible last night.  That dude never shuts up.  Sometimes you need to let the big moments breathe a little bit. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    mrussel1 said:
    Niners aren't winning anything until Purdy can handle a blitz. He was terrible against it.  By contrast,  Mahomes burned SF multiple times throwing right to the vacated area. 
    He was top 2-3 in most categories when blitzed this year.
    He sure didn't do well reading some of the blitzes last night,  no question about that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Also, Romo was just horrible last night.  That dude never shuts up.  Sometimes you need to let the big moments breathe a little bit. 
    I legit switched over the the Nickelodeon broadcast in the 3rd quarter. 

Spongebob & Patrick are a more enjoyable listen than Tony Romo. They were less annoying and I lol'ed more than a couple times. 
  • Options

Spongebob & Patrick are a more enjoyable listen than Tony Romo. They were less annoying and I lol'ed more than a couple times. 
    i needed to wait for the Bud & Bud Light ads for my Super Bowl bingo that I made.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,975

i needed to wait for the Bud & Bud Light ads for my Super Bowl bingo that I made.

Bring back Bud Bowl!

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    pjhawks said:
    Didn't think the Chiefs were all that good all year and didn't think they had it in them but then in playoffs beat Miami, Buffalo, Baltimore and the Forty Whiners to win it all again. Pretty damn impressive.  I really thought the Chiefs were cooked after the Mahomes INT but their defense came up big.  

AFC with two dynasties this century is pretty wild. Gotta suck to be a fan of the other teams in the AFC and have to face Brady and now Mahomes for over 20 years.  Good luck.

I didn't think they were all that good either, and I'm a fan.  Probably the most satisfying out of the three.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    edited February 12
    mrussel1 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

So his teams have now lost after giving up leads of 10, 10 and 25 in the Super Bowl. I know he was just the OC in one of them but---yeesh. 

They said this about Andy Reid once upon a time...until Mahomes, he blew a 28-point and 18-point halftime lead in the playoffs.  Albeit with Alex Smith.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

They said this about Andy Reid once upon a time...until Mahomes, he blew a 28-point and 18-point halftime lead in the playoffs.  Albeit with Alex Smith.
    Remember that one well. Wouldn't stop passing the damn ball. ha

I miss Andrew Luck. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

Remember that one well. Wouldn't stop passing the damn ball. ha

I miss Andrew Luck. 

I lost my shit in the middle of a bar in Milwaukee after the fumble at the goal line and then recovery by Luck.  I knew the game was over at that point.  Just a matter of time.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,519
    Mahomes is pretty ahead of Brady's pace right now. I won't dive into the stats. The eras were different, and Brady wasn't asked to or expected to do as much as Mahomes does (though even when adjusted for era, Mahomes has been better). But winning and awards are pretty universal regardless of era. And the comparison of Mahomes' first seven seasons versus Brady's isn't even close. 

They both sat the bench as rookies. So this is year 2 through 7 for both of them. 2001-2006 for Brady, 2018-2023 from Mahomes

Super Bowls:

League MVPs:

Pro Bowls: 

Regular Season W/L:

And remember, since all anyone cares about is Super Bowl wins, Brady had a 10-year drought of no SB wins. Could that happen to Mahomes? Maybe. Can Mahomes play at a high level for 20 years like Brady? Maybe. But man, it's crazy that there's ANOTHER guy like this in the league.
    TB12 would have led the winning drive, too….but only because he would have gotten two roughing the passer penalties.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,519
    The only reason to take the ball first would be to let your D rest. Maybe they did this, but there was a good delay with commercials and the coin toss and all that.

Otherwise it doesn't hold water - even with "wanting the 3rd possession." If the first team scores a TD you can score a TD and you can go for 2 to win. If the first team scores a FG, you go for the TD to win. If the first team scores nothing you just need a FG. And they have to stop you for 4 downs - really tough on the team that plays defense second. This is clearly something that should've been thought out before the playoffs. Whatever, same coach that tried to block Reddick with their backup TE and got Purdy's elbow destroyed - they always do something stupid in the end.

Niners blew it. It's not like an official signed sealed & delivered the game to the Chiefs...
    I think you can make an argument for taking the ball either first or second.

And I do think both teams should get the ball in OT. You can’t let a coin flip determine the Super Bowl.

I also think Romo provides some good insight. Those of you who hate him probably also hate America’s Team.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Super Bowls:

League MVPs:

Pro Bowls: 

Regular Season W/L:

TB12 would have led the winning drive, too….but only because he would have gotten two roughing the passer penalties.
    Didn’t a roughing the passer call (that should have been nullified) help Mahomes on the final drive of last year’s SB? Or was it last year’s AFCCG?