The National Football League

Comments

• mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree.  I want Caleb to go to a place where he can win.  I think Fields is fine, I think it is that crap staff.  :lol:  

2 top picks is great....but what if they could trade those to get 4-5 picks in rounds 2-3.  
    Give me the 4 or 5.  Better odds of getting 2 impact players than 2 top picks, especially with their GM.
    Fields is not fine...
    Could be you are right.  However, it could be the garbage coaching.  He's made some great plays and runs like a champ.  I bet Kyle Shannahan could make him a star.  
    I used to think that of Daniel Jones and Zach Wilson and before that Sanchez...  Well if Geno Smith can do something after all these years, maybe? He is shockingly 6-4 currently.

Josh Dobbs as well...
    Yeah but...Collingsworth was vaguely comparing him to Mahomes last night. lol

LOL that's right!  I did hear an interesting comp with Dobbs from one of my favorite broadcasters, Rich Gannon.  He bounced around quite a bit until Oakland finally gave him a starting job. 
    Josh Dobbs has limitations.  He's great to hold you over but I can't see making him your qb of the present and future. 

True...however that same thing was said about Gannon for the first part of his career too. I think it's a halfway decent comparison. 
    I mean you can say that about Steve Young too.  He couldn't get off the bench in Tampa.  But I wouldn't put Dobbs in the conversation with either.  But we shall see.  You could see last night when they really brought the heat, he was lost.  I think that's the problem.  
    Completely different scenario.  He was being groomed to replace Montana just like Rogers was for Farve.  You actually drafted a QB to learn for a few years before throwing them in there unlike todays QB's.
  • That halftime guy doing, um, music. Is he really popular?
    U don't know Jack Harlow?  Yes, really popular.
  • Popular,  not good.  :lol:  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • CROJAM95 said:
    ^ I saw it Wednesday, Barry such a likable respectable guy… wish he’d win more 

his dad was pretty funny
    Barry is the third best running back behind Jim Brown and himself.
    I concur with this.  I got so happy when he had 2000 yards.  The O line was more excited than he was.
    Yeah, not even remotely good.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Yeah, not even remotely good.
    He has some good songs.  That performance was lackluster though.

If you watched the Kentucky Derby he was grand Marshall and was getting bombed w Drake.  U could tell he  had a nice buzz when he announced the start, lol.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,779
    Beavis & Butthead sum up Jack Harlow well if you watched last season

the great white dope

prob rocks 8 color Jordan’s too & thinks they are HOTT🤣🤣

• Officiating in the NFL is as bad as I can ever remember it being.  So many awful missed calls yesterday.  

Also, listening to Jason Garrett fill in for Colinsworth on SNF last night was painful. He's so weird.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,779
    edited November 2023
    Officiating in the NFL is as bad as I can ever remember it being.  So many awful missed calls yesterday.  

Also, listening to Jason Garrett fill in for Colinsworth on SNF last night was painful. He's so weird.
    Lateral move as Colinsworth ain’t no prize either… lot of bad commentators, Gus Johnson over acting as usual on Michigan-osu had me stream music over them rather than hear his nonsense 
  • Hate to say it but Buck/Aikman seem to be the best.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I like Burkhardt and Olsen on fox and believe it or not Nantz and Romo.  Nantz is getting too old for it now though.  Time for him to go.
    I like Burkhardt and Olsen on fox and believe it or not Nantz and Romo.  Nantz is getting too old for it now though.  Time for him to go.
    Romo is absolutely horrible. One of the worst announcers I've ever heard, in any sport. I thought he was really good the first couple years. Yesterday was one of the worst announced games I've ever seen. He was down there with Collinsworth in SB52.

Romo is absolutely horrible. One of the worst announcers I've ever heard, in any sport. I thought he was really good the first couple years. Yesterday was one of the worst announced games I've ever seen. He was down there with Collinsworth in SB52.
    This.

Also, Panthers just canned Frankie.  That is fucked up.   Team is awful, with a rookie qb.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    edited November 2023
    Hate to say it but Buck/Aikman seem to be the best.

Also, Panthers just canned Frankie.  That is fucked up.   Team is awful, with a rookie qb.  
    Let's hope the coaching change spurs them to a couple wins. Need them to drop down behind the Pats in draft position (and it doesn't behoove them to stay at #1 overall spot since they already traded that pick to Da Bears, would make an already bad trade look historically horrible).
    This weekend we rock Portland
    I enjoy him.  I like his take on the game but, then again people like Buck...
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,073
    edited November 2023
    The broadcasts have been insufferable for some time, and it's not just the guys in the booth... we don't need footage of Richard Sherman or others walking to the halftime broadcast table to hype the halftime discussion. They're just talking, it's not that important. 

I understand they're trying to generate content and keep eyes on the screens therefore play up 100% of what they do, but the production is bordering on insufferable. 10 years ago I would turn on pretty much any NFL game, including pre and post game shows; nowadays I skip the pre & post, & if it's not my team or a marquee matchup, I couldn't care less. 

It's also possible I'm just an old man yelling at clouds, idk. 
  • Watching the last few minutes of the Jags/Tex game to see if Stroud could wield some more magic.  Penalty and the Texans get pushed back for what would be a 58yd FG.  This Ammendola kickers longest was 51 in COLLEGE!

Coach gives him the greenlight.

Up, looks good.  It has the distance!!!

Clunk.

Poor guy hits the crossbar.  Literally inches from winning the game.  Felt bad for him.
  • Poncier said:

Let's hope the coaching change spurs them to a couple wins. Need them to drop down behind the Pats in draft position (and it doesn't behoove them to stay at #1 overall spot since they already traded that pick to Da Bears, would make an already bad trade look historically horrible).
    I sure hope not!  The Bears having the #1 pick back to back years sure would be nice!  That Panthers owner is a joke.  Forces the team to trade up and end up taking the wrong QB.  Then fires his coach before he even finishes a year with a trash roster.  Will be interesting to see who will actually take that job.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The broadcasts have been insufferable for some time, and it's not just the guys in the booth... we don't need footage of Richard Sherman or others walking to the halftime broadcast table to hype the halftime discussion. They're just talking, it's not that important. 

I understand they're trying to generate content and keep eyes on the screens therefore play up 100% of what they do, but the production is bordering on insufferable. 10 years ago I would turn on pretty much any NFL game, including pre and post game shows; nowadays I skip the pre & post, & if it's not my team or a marquee matchup, I couldn't care less. 

It's also possible I'm just an old man yelling at clouds, idk. 
    I don't think I have watched more than 5-10 minutes of a pregame show since the late 90's or early 2000's. There is no need for that many people on the set. How about the dumb CBS promos of their guys standing outside the Bellagio or something? Ugh.

One other thing I hate is how when they cut to the studio for an update you get the host, who actually has broadcasting chops, passing it off to a former player to describe the highlight. Why do they feel the need to do that?

I miss this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKRdLaLnWlE
    www.myspace.com
    • The winless Eagles actually won that game over the Rams. I think it was blacked out as a non-sellout. :(
    • Miami vs. SF at 1:00 on Sunday! Yeah that was a waste.
    • Jimmy the Greek! He got cancelled for saying something racist - what do people expect the guy's Greek after all.
    • Yeah I loved watching that show, after The Buddy Ryan Show. When they hired Andy Reid he told the Eagles to shove their weekly show up their asses. It would've been boring AF anyway. A Nick Siranni Show would be enjoyable though.
    • None of the stadiums named after a corporation.
    I enjoy him.  I like his take on the game but, then again people like Buck...
    Some people like Jack Harlow. LOL

edited November 2023
    The Buddy Ryan show came on right after the Randall Cunningham Show! I miss those days. Al Meltzer was with Buddy and Ron Burke was the Cunningham show host.

Actually I think Randall did a Saturday night show earlier in his career that was hosted by Lou Tilley....I think....

Oh and Ricky Watters had a show too. lol
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    The days of games being blacked out locally. What a time to be alive.

Poncier said:
    The days of games being blacked out locally. What a time to be alive.

Yeah. I remember right before some games there was a commercial/public service announcement by some local car dealership saying the purchased a block of tickets or something to make the game available over the air
    www.myspace.com
  • Poor Frank Reich....1-10 really sucks but they weren't getting blown out. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,399
    I like Merlin Olsen and Dick Enberg.  I watch beta tapes of their games between the Browns and Oilers just to relive it.  
    mrussel1 said:
    I like Merlin Olsen and Dick Enberg.  I watch beta tapes of their games between the Browns and Oilers just to relive it.  
    Just seeing those two names brings up visceral memories of being at my grandmom's house watching the late game on NBC while waiting for dinner to be ready. 
    www.myspace.com
  • mrussel1 said:
    Just seeing those two names brings up visceral memories of being at my grandmom's house watching the late game on NBC while waiting for dinner to be ready. 
    omg YES.  I still miss Madden.  He was always my fav.
    mrussel1 said:
    omg YES.  I still miss Madden.  He was always my fav.
    IN today's world, I like Herbie the best.  I think he is the perfect blend of technical analysis with easy to follow dialog.  He could also be a total homer and he's not.  I know he's mostly college but his pro work is good too.  But for college, he's the king. 
    mrussel1 said:
    The guy from Little House on the Prairie?
    He announced football?
    Next thing you'll tell me he also played.

;) 
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The guy from Little House on the Prairie?
    He announced football?
    Next thing you'll tell me he also played.

;) 
    He did! He lined up next to Michael Landon and Fred Dwyer.  True story.