Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,570
    mrussel1 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    He couldn't have waited until after the Super Bowl? Has to make it all about him
    It was leaked and this is the week leading up to the Pro Bowl, not the Super Bowl so....who cares? lol
    A-Rod didn't get a pass when Boras told he opted out during the World Series 
    I don't know what that means.

The Super Bowl is almost two weeks from now. This is most definitely not happening during the Super Bowl or even during Super Bowl week. If I'm the Bucs, I'm happy to know sooner than later anyway. 
    I think the lawsuit pushes Brady out of the way.  This is much bigger news I think. Plus everyone already jacked off to TB over the weekend. 
    He might have to announce it again 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,877
    igotid88 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    He couldn't have waited until after the Super Bowl? Has to make it all about him
    It was leaked and this is the week leading up to the Pro Bowl, not the Super Bowl so....who cares? lol
    I don't know what that means.

The Super Bowl is almost two weeks from now. This is most definitely not happening during the Super Bowl or even during Super Bowl week. If I'm the Bucs, I'm happy to know sooner than later anyway. 
    I think the lawsuit pushes Brady out of the way.  This is much bigger news I think. Plus everyone already jacked off to TB over the weekend. 
    He might have to announce it again 
    Haha.  That's funny.  God, I miss igotid88.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,403
    mrussel1 said:
     .  It also looks terrible for BB who was at least tangentially aware that Flores (one of his ex assistants) was being put through a BS process for the Rooney rule.  
    Belichick may not have known Flores was coming in for an interview after the fact.

Or maybe he knew and sent the text intentionally to the wrong Brian to expose the situation and screw with NYG yet again (he has already shown he'll F with them by recommending Joe Judge for the HC position).
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,570
    edited February 2022
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
     .  It also looks terrible for BB who was at least tangentially aware that Flores (one of his ex assistants) was being put through a BS process for the Rooney rule.  
    Belichick may not have known Flores was coming in for an interview after the fact.

Or maybe he knew and sent the text intentionally to the wrong Brian to expose the situation and screw with NYG yet again (he has already shown he'll F with them by recommending Joe Judge for the HC position).
    He has a good relationship with the Giants from what I've heard. Especially with the Maras. I think it's more to get back at Goodell
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

True. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,697
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    most people dislike arod even more than they dislike brady.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,557
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JG and Wentz are same there, although Jimmy seems to be a better dude than Prince Harry.
    I don't want either.
    @wobbie, I don't know if Lance will be a good pro, that is why I'm hoping.  :)
    Just like Philly isn't sure of what Hurts is, yet.  Playoff game wasn't good but lots of stuff during the year point toward potential to be one of the top tier playmaker we all want these days.
    Russell Wilson is ready to go.  But he's under contract so someone will have to send a truckload of picks or excellent talent to get him.  There are a few times that seem to be a QB away, Niners, Colts, Browns, maybe even the Eagles.  But who would have the assets to pull down such a deal?
    Eagles have 3 first rounders this year, they could easily flip 2 of them plus a little more for Wilson.
    I don't see why anyone would want Wilson?
    Really?  I'd love to have him in Cleveland.  He throws a great long ball, elusive, gets first downs with his feet.  Yeah he's made a few mistakes the last few years, but their O line has been terrible, limited running game and everything is on him.  
    I think he had his run and unless a team is stacked he won't be the deciding factor.

i would love to be wrong.
    He's 33. Good quarterbacks play into their late 30's. He's not close to done yet. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,441
    Jim Harbaugh taking Vikings HC job.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Frickin awesome.  That's honestly hilarious.  Michigan stuck by him through his shitty coaching, shitty game management and inability to win top 10 games.  He has one good season and then bolts.  
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:8
    Frickin awesome.  That's honestly hilarious.  Michigan stuck by him through his shitty coaching, shitty game management and inability to win top 10 games.  He has one good season and then bolts.  
    after getting a fat extension....

personally I think he didn't believe he could hit OSU again.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:8
    after getting a fat extension....

personally I think he didn't believe he could hit OSU again.

this is a tad premature....

• Options
    It's fucking crazy to me that there seems to be more people talking about Belichick's texting gaffe then there are about an NFL owner allegedly offering a coach extra money to throw games. 

If true, that's as big as Pete Rose or the Black Sox scandals were for baseball. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,204
    It's fucking crazy to me that there seems to be more people talking about Belichick's texting gaffe then there are about an NFL owner allegedly offering a coach extra money to throw games. 

If true, that's as big as Pete Rose or the Black Sox scandals were for baseball. 
    you're right....crazy shit
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JG and Wentz are same there, although Jimmy seems to be a better dude than Prince Harry.
    I don't want either.
    @wobbie, I don't know if Lance will be a good pro, that is why I'm hoping.  :)
    Just like Philly isn't sure of what Hurts is, yet.  Playoff game wasn't good but lots of stuff during the year point toward potential to be one of the top tier playmaker we all want these days.
    Russell Wilson is ready to go.  But he's under contract so someone will have to send a truckload of picks or excellent talent to get him.  There are a few times that seem to be a QB away, Niners, Colts, Browns, maybe even the Eagles.  But who would have the assets to pull down such a deal?
    Eagles have 3 first rounders this year, they could easily flip 2 of them plus a little more for Wilson.
    I don't see why anyone would want Wilson?
    Really?  I'd love to have him in Cleveland.  He throws a great long ball, elusive, gets first downs with his feet.  Yeah he's made a few mistakes the last few years, but their O line has been terrible, limited running game and everything is on him.  
    I think he had his run and unless a team is stacked he won't be the deciding factor.

i would love to be wrong.
    He's 33. Good quarterbacks play into their late 30's. He's not close to done yet. 
    I wouldn't want him on my team.  You can have him.
  • Options
    The Belicheck gaffe isn't a big deal.  They may have had eyes on a coach and he fit better and you go through the motions.  I'm ok w that.

The paying the coach to tank though?  That should get the owner removed.  or he should have hired Brett Brown. (boo hiss)

I am not seeing how race fits into this though?  You got fired because you didn't want to do what your unscrupulous owner wanted, not because you are a minority.

If they do start digging though and find out some stuff I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.  Get rid of some owners then and bring in some new blood to run the teams.
  • Options
    The Belicheck gaffe isn't a big deal.  They may have had eyes on a coach and he fit better and you go through the motions.  I'm ok w that.

The paying the coach to tank though?  That should get the owner removed.  or he should have hired Brett Brown. (boo hiss)

I am not seeing how race fits into this though?  You got fired because you didn't want to do what your unscrupulous owner wanted, not because you are a minority.

If they do start digging though and find out some stuff I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.  Get rid of some owners then and bring in some new blood to run the teams.
    I don't think the lawsuit is about the 100k per loss.  Might be wrong, but that just seems to be an ancillary issue. 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    to me, the biggest bombshell is the Ross paying the coach to lose thing.  

If there is any hard evidence at all, he is going to be forced out of the league and the organization will suffer severe penalties.

This is a league that enjoys an antitrust exemption who is overtly co-opting with sports gambling.  This is a nightmare for them.

The Belichick thing is just very uncomfortable and funny.
  • Options

Where race fits into it is simple. Decision was made already to hire Daboll. Belichick somehow found out and texted one of the Brians in his phone to congratulate him.
    Problem was that Flores was coming in for an interview 3 days after that for a job that was already filled. NFL rules force teams to interview minority coaches for vacancies. This shows Giants only brought Flores in to "meet a quota" if you will, never had any intention of considering him for the job.
    In any other instance, they call the guy and say, "sorry we found our guy, cancel the interview, don't make him fly to New Jersey for a farce dog and pony show.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    to me, the biggest bombshell is the Ross paying the coach to lose thing.  

If there is any hard evidence at all, he is going to be forced out of the league and the organization will suffer severe penalties.

This is a league that enjoys an antitrust exemption who is overtly co-opting with sports gambling.  This is a nightmare for them.

Coupled with Ross trying to force Flores to break the tampering rules and bring Brady in for a visit while he was still a Patriot, Ross should certainly face some consequences.
  • Options

I've read the entire complaint. The racism he's alleging has little to do with being fired from the Dolphins, but rather, the interview process as he tried to get a new job. Long story short, he says what we've always known, that the Rooney Rule leads to a bunch of token interviews. Thanks to Belichick's texts (way to pay attention to detail, Bill. DO YOUR JOB!), he found out that the Giants have already chosen Daboll as their coach, even though Flores was interviewing the following day. In fairness to the Giants, it's likely they just liked Daboll and wanted him, but had to interview Flores to satisfy the Rooney Rule. So in some regards, I think the lawsuit is meant to shine a light on the Rooney Rule being an affirmative action rule that doesn't really work. It sucks for Flores to be put through a sham interview, but it sucks for the Giants to be forced to put him through a sham interview.

The race stuff is for others to worry about. For me, as a Dolphins fan, all I want out of this is for the league to get rid of Stephen Ross, the Dolphins' owner. He is so awful and this is grounds to do it if any of this can be proven. Offering a coach extra money to lose? It also shines a light on how shitty the draft process is. They should do a lottery system a la the NBA. By doing it in reverse order of the standings, it encourages someone like Ross to want to lose, and it discourages (and apparently, even punishes) someone like Flores who wants to win. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The Washington.....  Wait for it....

Commanders!

Missing The Mark Lol GIF - Missing The Mark Lol Basketball - Discover amp  Share GIFs
  • Options

I've read the entire complaint. The racism he's alleging has little to do with being fired from the Dolphins, but rather, the interview process as he tried to get a new job. Long story short, he says what we've always known, that the Rooney Rule leads to a bunch of token interviews. Thanks to Belichick's texts (way to pay attention to detail, Bill. DO YOUR JOB!), he found out that the Giants have already chosen Daboll as their coach, even though Flores was interviewing the following day. In fairness to the Giants, it's likely they just liked Daboll and wanted him, but had to interview Flores to satisfy the Rooney Rule. So in some regards, I think the lawsuit is meant to shine a light on the Rooney Rule being an affirmative action rule that doesn't really work. It sucks for Flores to be put through a sham interview, but it sucks for the Giants to be forced to put him through a sham interview.

The race stuff is for others to worry about. For me, as a Dolphins fan, all I want out of this is for the league to get rid of Stephen Ross, the Dolphins' owner. He is so awful and this is grounds to do it if any of this can be proven. Offering a coach extra money to lose? It also shines a light on how shitty the draft process is. They should do a lottery system a la the NBA. By doing it in reverse order of the standings, it encourages someone like Ross to want to lose, and it discourages (and apparently, even punishes) someone like Flores who wants to win. 
    Yeah I stated earlier that if you had your eyes on someone else and liked them then you go through the motions because you have to.  That's how things go.  You want your right fit, I agree.

If they can connect the dots and prove that the ownership is racist and won't hire black coaches then I am all for it.  Tear it down.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,557
    edited February 2022
    The Commanders name, logo, uniforms are all awful. The name is also eerily similar to the old arena league team from 30 + years ago. 

Blow that stupid franchise up. Actually, NAY.... as an Eagles fan: long live the Commandos! Never change!

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

What was your opinion on Flores as a Dolphin fan?  It seemed to me like he was doing a pretty good job.  I was surprised that they cut him loose before all this shit came out.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    As a Bills fan, I was thrilled that Miami dropped Flores.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    As a Patriots fan, I took it as a net gain too, I hated him as a rival coach in the AFCE. 

At this point I hope Belichick brings him back. (it's not like he's going to be getting any head coaching opportunities any time soon). 
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    As a Patriots fan, I took it as a net gain too, I hated him as a rival coach in the AFCE. 

At this point I hope Belichick brings him back. (it's not like he's going to be getting any head coaching opportunities any time soon). 
    Living in NY I thought Todd Bowles did a really good job w what he had.  My only complaint was his (and Rex Ryan before that) misuse and development of the QB.

I would love to see Bowles as a coach somewhere else.
  • Options
    Considering 70% of the league are Black players, it makes little sense that there is only one Black head coach.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Considering 70% of the league are Black players, it makes little sense that there is only one Black head coach.  
    Only 13% of the population but 70% of the league membership.  Someone had mentioned that you go into coaching early.  if you made money and want a life out of sports then you aren't coaching.  When your career is up you have made some money where you don't really have to worry anymore.

Maybe start a mentoring program at the peewee level to start coaches?

Throwing ideas around here.
  • Options
    Are there any black owners of NFL teams?