Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Wobbie said:
    now I’m hearing harbaugh is staying at shittygan.

Word is the Vikings interviewed him for 9 hours and did not offer the job. Ouch. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,547
    Who cares what the Bills did to the Dolphins? They had way more talent than Miami.

Isn't Flores the best of the bunch regarding the Belichick tree though? Seems to have had a good amount of success in Miami despite the fact the owner wanted to pay him to lose. lol. No reason he should be out of a job right now. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,816
    Truth.

Also, Miami and Cleve owners can fuck right off. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,537
    Ross is a joke

fuckin Harbaugh didn’t interview with Miami, tells you everything 

• Options
    Who cares what the Bills did to the Dolphins? They had way more talent than Miami.

Isn't Flores the best of the bunch regarding the Belichick tree though? Seems to have had a good amount of success in Miami despite the fact the owner wanted to pay him to lose. lol. No reason he should be out of a job right now. 
    I think the Saints are gonna hire him. But if they don't, and the Texans don't either, the Steelers should offer him their defensive coordinator job. Their longtime DC Keith Butler just retired. It could be a good stopgap move for both sides. Gives Flores something to do for a year while he's not a head coach, and he could help right the ship in Pittsburgh before they hire a more long-term DC. Everyone drools over the Steelers' sack numbers (which are impressive), but they can't stop the run to save their lives. Flores can help improve that. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    edited February 2022

We don't know.  Daboll is from Belichick too and seems to be building a nice career.  The only reason he did not get a job last year was the Bills made it to the AFCC and the Chargers wanted to make their hire before that (and possible Super Bowl 2 more weeks).  The speculation is if the Bills lost to the Ravens in the Divisional round, he would have been their coach.

While Flores appeared to have success in Miami, he did fail in an apparent 'playoffs or bust' season this year.  They were a lot of people's sweetheart pick to win the AFC East.  The past 2 seasons with playoffs on the line, the Dolphins fell on their face epically, once against the Bills team playing for nothing and against backups much of the game.
    There was a lot of noise about interpersonal issues and differences in opinion between Owner/GM/and Coach.  Who knows if this guy is hard to work with.  He may have tried to get his GM fired, and no GM wants a "GM killer" coach.  It is tough to say.  Maybe it was a terrible environment and he is only a victim.  I don't know.  This stuff happens all the time with sports organizations.  Its part of the drama and 'fun' reality show aspect I guess.  

The other openings... I don't know.  Was it race?  Can that be proven?  Weren't there 2 black general managers just hired?

It is silly to imply that Schoen and the Giants hired Daboll because of skin color.  His resume and appeal is at least that of Flores, and I would argue more-so because offensive coaches are all the rage.  A new general manager isn't going to stake his blossoming career on smiting black coaches.  

If I am the Jaguars though, I would have been reaching out to Flores.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,480
    edited February 2022

Who cares?

I'm connecting dots.  He was a successful O coordinator and worked well in developing a QB to his strengths and they also dismantled the Dolphins is why...

Someone was talking pedigree so that was where I was going w it.

I agree that Flores should be coaching.  Byanami should be too.  Analysts were shocked that he didn't get a job last year.

Edit: forgot to add that the best coach under Belicheck is bringing Alabama to the NCAA championship game every year.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

Who cares?

I'm connecting dots.  He was a successful O coordinator and worked well in developing a QB to his strengths and they also dismantled the Dolphins is why...

I agree that Flores should be coaching.  Byanami should be too.  Analysts were shocked that he didn't get a job last year.

Edit: forgot to add that the best coach under Belicheck is bringing Alabama to the NCAA championship game every year.
    My point is the Bills are a team built to make a Super Bowl run while the Dolphins were a team the owner felt was so bad that he offered to pay the coach to lose games. I don't think that is the best way to compare the two coaches. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Who cares?

My point is the Bills are a team built to make a Super Bowl run while the Dolphins were a team the owner felt was so bad that he offered to pay the coach to lose games. I don't think that is the best way to compare the two coaches. 
    Exactly my point.  It was showing the pedigree of Daboll and the lack of success w the Bellicheck family tree.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,434

Who cares?

Exactly my point.  It was showing the pedigree of Daboll and the lack of success w the Bellicheck family tree.

But generally the GM makes the decisions on who to pick no? sure with consultation from the coach but many of those players were there before he got there, no?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Who cares?

But generally the GM makes the decisions on who to pick no? sure with consultation from the coach but many of those players were there before he got there, no?
    Yeah. I didn't think my point was that hard to miss. Flores wasn't the general manager, nor was Dabol. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    At the very least, their resumes are debatable.  In today's NFL, I would lean toward the pass-heavy, innovative offense guy who had a hand in unlocking Josh Allen.

I think Flores is a good coach and got a raw deal in Miami. Ross is a clown of an owner and their GM has squandered an embarrassment of riches as far as assets go.

But I also think Flores earned his termination. Terrible game management. Also seemed adverse to bringing in strong voices into key roles on his staff (insecure) and it deeply impacted their offense for the worse. They went through multiple OCs and four OL coaches in his three seasons. They rocked co-OCs to start this season where they alternated playcalling duties within the same game until the offense was dysfunctional enough that they streamlined it. They had a bizarre snap count system for a key formation to their offense where Mike Gisecki would signal the snap to the center while in motion which led to problems.  His defenses also had a penchant for completely collapsing in do-or-die games.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,816
    I believe Flores in the he said she said vs. The old school ownership groups.  I'm not debating Flores vs Dabol, but pointing out that this is bullshit that there are not more black people in areas beyond players.  They should increase the motivations to make it so, however is needed.  At this point, the bosses make the black folk milllionaires who can play for everyone's entertainment- but they clearly feel other black people are not good enough  for the rest of the jobs.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Who cares?

mickeyrat said:

Who cares?

Yeah. I didn't think my point was that hard to miss. Flores wasn't the general manager, nor was Dabol. lol
    I guess my point isn't getting through...

Who is talking about a GM?  It was about a coach and what they have done, their pedigree.  Daboll has worked and has success w a new young QB.  That is what the Giants need, to work w the QB.  Has zero to do w the GM and the Giants picking Daboll for coach.

This all stems back to 10 comments ago showing COACH PEDIGREE and the credentials they have, not about a GM.  How did a GM get thrown into this?
  • Options
    I believe Flores in the he said she said vs. The old school ownership groups.  I'm not debating Flores vs Dabol, but pointing out that this is bullshit that there are not more black people in areas beyond players.  They should increase the motivations to make it so, however is needed.  At this point, the bosses make the black folk milllionaires who can play for everyone's entertainment- but they clearly feel other black people are not good enough  for the rest of the jobs.
    So the Rooney rule was created just for this reason.

I mentioned earlier that coaching starts as far back as peewee league.  If the NFL is serious then they should groom coaches at a young age and bring them up.  

Players don't necessarily make good coaches.  Great players never.  How many players make the crossover to coaching?  Hardly any.

Start a program to inspire and recruit coaching.

I hope they do some digging and if NFL owners still think that African Americans can't be good coaches their teams need to be taken from them and sold to more progressive owners ala Donald Sterling.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,877

I mentioned earlier that coaching starts as far back as peewee league.  If the NFL is serious then they should groom coaches at a young age and bring them up.  

Players don't necessarily make good coaches.  Great players never.  How many players make the crossover to coaching?  Hardly any.

I hope they do some digging and if NFL owners still think that African Americans can't be good coaches their teams need to be taken from them and sold to more progressive owners ala Donald Sterling.
    Mike Vrabel

Many coaches that were not beneficiaries of their fathers being a coach did come from the player ranks: Ditka, Landry, Cowher, Tomlin, too many to name.  

Point is, for every statement people are about to make here, we'll find a ton of exceptions. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Who cares?

mickeyrat said:

Who cares?

Who is talking about a GM?  It was about a coach and what they have done, their pedigree.  Daboll has worked and has success w a new young QB.  That is what the Giants need, to work w the QB.  Has zero to do w the GM and the Giants picking Daboll for coach.

This all stems back to 10 comments ago showing COACH PEDIGREE and the credentials they have, not about a GM.  How did a GM get thrown into this?
    LOL.....you're talking about the success the Bills have had verses the Dolphins recently. Large part of that success stems from the fact that the Bills have way more talent than the Dolphins. That is where the GM comes into the mix. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Mike Vrabel

Many coaches that were not beneficiaries of their fathers being a coach did come from the player ranks: Ditka, Landry, Cowher, Tomlin, too many to name.  

Point is, for every statement people are about to make here, we'll find a ton of exceptions. 
    Doug Pederson. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Who cares?

mickeyrat said:

Who cares?

LOL.....you're talking about the success the Bills have had verses the Dolphins recently. Large part of that success stems from the fact that the Bills have way more talent than the Dolphins. That is where the GM comes into the mix. 
    You are right, I was wrong the whole time, how stupid of me to argue what a coach has done and not to think of the GM when he had zero to do w the actual coaching?

We were talking about coaches right?  I forget now...
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Who cares?

mickeyrat said:

Who cares?

You are right, I was wrong the whole time, how stupid of me to argue what a coach has done and not to think of the GM when he had zero to do w the actual coaching?

We were talking about coaches right?  I forget now...
    You are comparing at team who was one of the odds on favorites to make the Super Bowl with a team whose owner offered to pay the coach to lose games. Apples and oranges as both franchises were at completely different stages. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2022

It is like this in a lot of industries, not only football coaching.  

I agree on trying to find more coaches on an 'entry level'.  I mentioned it earlier they should partner up with the NCAA ranks. 

My company is constantly battling this same exact issue.  It is a family company, very closely knit, old school, but large enough to get in trouble for this.  Everyone hired are members of family or friends of family pretty much.  We have to jump through a lot of silly AA stuff that has no teeth.  You just need to display that you are 'trying'.  If the feds come in and their analysis shows that it isn't working, they will just force us to come up with a better plan.  They are not allowed to say "you need 25% minorities or else".  There is no magic button and no immediate answer.  

So we started an initiative.  We decided to recruit in schools and really try to bring in minority engineers on an internship basis.  If they work out, they are brought up through the ranks.  So far it seems to be working.  

The NFL should/could work with NCAA programs to incentivize minority coaches and promotions.  These coaches would feed into the NFL ranks over time.

Lots of people over 65 and in power right now still harbor an unspoken prejudice (well, usually unspoken) against minorities as well.  There is still plenty of prejudice in younger demographics, sure, but I like to think that those of us who were born well after the civil rights movement have a better chance at making things equal.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay, some good points, and I like what it sounds like you are trying to do with your company.

I feel there are lots of good, black, candidates in plain view.
    Byron Leftwhich
    Eric Bienemy
    Brian Flores
    Pep Hamilton
    Duce Staley
    Leslie Frazier
    David Culler
    Raheem Morris

We don't need to say this is a college thing.  It is an NFL thing, also.

I think the statement that colleges should be pushed to have more is not mutually exclusive.  I agree with it.  Both statements can coexist and that would produce more successful placement.  Lord knows there are a load of great high school coaches or college assistants who are black.

What about people in front offices?
    There are loads of diverse people who could do those jobs, as well.
    Seems assistant coaching, playing, and working in the stadiums are about all minorities are good for.

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,567
    From NFL Memes

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,403
    :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,664
    edited February 2022
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,692
    igotid88 said:
    From NFL Memes

hardy har fucking har :angry:

met life stadium would be even safer.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    From NFL Memes

my life long cowgirls fan of an older brother laughed....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    From NFL Memes

He is a fan of how many teams? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:
    From NFL Memes

He is a fan of how many teams? 

just the one pro team. and just thee one college team.