• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,400
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Just a terrible slate of Wild Card games.  Awful.  

As far as the 7th playoff slot per conference... I'm not sure I am against it (not necessarily for it).  The Eagles were a bit weak... but if you had the Vikings playing up to their ability on paper, they could be a worthy playoff team.  New Orleans, maybe... 

On the AFC side, you had the Steelers sneak in somehow.  The Chargers though would have been a more worthy team.  You also had the Ravens, Cleveland, and Miami hanging out. 

Maybe those teams arent world-beaters... but you take the bye away from the 2nd seed.  Playing that 7th seed is a decent 'reward'. 

Anyways, this Divisional round looks really good.  
    Tampa vs LA
    Green Bay vs San Fran

KC vs Buffalo
    Tennessee vs Cincinnati

IMO the winner of KC/Buffalo gives you your Superbowl winner.
    I think I mentioned it earlier.. it's a tradeoff to having a great last two weeks of the season.  
    We've had very exciting endings to seasons ever since they changed the schedule to everyone playing divisional opponents at the end. 

17 games is stupid.
    An extra wild card team is stupid.
    A playoff game on a Monday night that forces the winner to be at a disadvantage the next week is stupid (thank god for Manning Cast at least).

The NFL season and, especially, the post season was perfect  up until two years ago. The best in all pro sports and it wasn't even close. There was no reason to meddle with things other than finding more ways for the owners to line their pockets.
    I'm with you on all of this.
    The 16 game schedule for a 32 team league was perfect. Rotating interconference play so you see every team from the opposing conference every 4 years, you see each division in your own conference every three years. It was basically perfectly mathematically balanced.
    The NFL is looking for a shootout and high scoring game.

Nobody wants to see a 21-20 game...  We don't really, lol.
    What does a 21-20 game have to do with what I said?
    They are changing it up in hopes that better higher scoring teams get in there.  This was more in line w why they added playoff teams.

Either that or they are really just greedy bastards.

In 10 years welcome to an 18 game schedule...
    It's all about the gate...

One more home game for every team every other year & one more home playoff game for the 2nd seed in each conference = that much more revenue from tickets and concessions. 
    It's not about tickets and concessions.
    It's all about TV contracts. That's where the money lies.

ETA: They aren't gaining extra ticket revenue anyway, as they eliminated a preseason game, which all season ticket holders are compelled to buy. So they still have 10 home games, just its now the same 8 reg season and 2 preseason one year alternating with 9 regular and one preseason the next.
    When they go to 18, it'll be just 2 preseason games, so each team will still sell tickets for 10 home games.
    But the networks are paying for an extra week of broadcasting games, plus a couple added WC games and when they go to 18 they'll pay for that extra week too. NFL revenue from tix sales is about 15%, its well over 50% from TV contracts.
    It’s all about parking…. 
    Most of these are compact spots.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    It's all about the can deposits created during games in California, New York, and michigan.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,681
    spreads for the divisional round are pretty tight…
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,671
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

As far as the 7th playoff slot per conference... I'm not sure I am against it (not necessarily for it).  The Eagles were a bit weak... but if you had the Vikings playing up to their ability on paper, they could be a worthy playoff team.  New Orleans, maybe... 

On the AFC side, you had the Steelers sneak in somehow.  The Chargers though would have been a more worthy team.  You also had the Ravens, Cleveland, and Miami hanging out. 

Maybe those teams arent world-beaters... but you take the bye away from the 2nd seed.  Playing that 7th seed is a decent 'reward'. 

Tampa vs LA
    Green Bay vs San Fran

KC vs Buffalo
    Tennessee vs Cincinnati

I think I mentioned it earlier.. it's a tradeoff to having a great last two weeks of the season.  
    We've had very exciting endings to seasons ever since they changed the schedule to everyone playing divisional opponents at the end. 

17 games is stupid.
    A playoff game on a Monday night that forces the winner to be at a disadvantage the next week is stupid (thank god for Manning Cast at least).

The NFL season and, especially, the post season was perfect  up until two years ago. The best in all pro sports and it wasn't even close. There was no reason to meddle with things other than finding more ways for the owners to line their pockets.
    The 16 game schedule for a 32 team league was perfect. Rotating interconference play so you see every team from the opposing conference every 4 years, you see each division in your own conference every three years. It was basically perfectly mathematically balanced.

They are changing it up in hopes that better higher scoring teams get in there.  This was more in line w why they added playoff teams.

One more home game for every team every other year & one more home playoff game for the 2nd seed in each conference = that much more revenue from tickets and concessions. 

ETA: They aren't gaining extra ticket revenue anyway, as they eliminated a preseason game, which all season ticket holders are compelled to buy. So they still have 10 home games, just its now the same 8 reg season and 2 preseason one year alternating with 9 regular and one preseason the next.
    When they go to 18, it'll be just 2 preseason games, so each team will still sell tickets for 10 home games.
    But the networks are paying for an extra week of broadcasting games, plus a couple added WC games and when they go to 18 they'll pay for that extra week too. NFL revenue from tix sales is about 15%, its well over 50% from TV contracts.
    It’s all about parking…. 
    Do you leave at the start of the third quarter? Maybe 5 minutes in? Gotta beat the traffic.
    Let’s not talk about leaving before we’re at the game. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Tampa vs LA
    Green Bay vs San Fran

KC vs Buffalo
    Tennessee vs Cincinnati

17 games is stupid.

It’s all about parking…. 
    Do you leave at the start of the third quarter? Maybe 5 minutes in? Gotta beat the traffic.
    Okay but can we park near the exit even if it’s a further walk to the stadium?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,310
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Tampa vs LA
    Green Bay vs San Fran

KC vs Buffalo
    Tennessee vs Cincinnati

17 games is stupid.

It’s all about parking…. 
    These commercials are awesome.  I love the supermarket one too.  Sadly some of the behavior in these I am guilty of.  
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Tampa vs LA
    Green Bay vs San Fran

KC vs Buffalo
    Tennessee vs Cincinnati

17 games is stupid.

Agreed…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    It's all about the can deposits created during games in California, New York, and michigan.

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Tampa vs LA
    Green Bay vs San Fran

KC vs Buffalo
    Tennessee vs Cincinnati

17 games is stupid.

It’s all about parking…. 
    These commercials are awesome.  I love the supermarket one too.  Sadly some of the behavior in these I am guilty of.  
    Brian in produce, very helpful.
  • Options
    That’s some straight up bullshit.

https://apple.news/AQn4CqaEDSWWml2470Sz2ng
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,859

Meh.  I don't have a problem with it.  When the Lightning played the Blackhawks in the Cup several years ago, they tried some things to limit the Chicago fans as well.  Their fans were driving up the ticket prices as well, since Chicago is much wealthier than Tampa. But either way, I don't have an issue with them trying to keep the tickets with Titan fans.  Good for them.  
  • Options

absolutely 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,424

sounds like someone is worried.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815

Agree.  If your fans want to sell the tickets and use the windfall rather than attend a divisional round game, changing the rules to stop them is kind of messed up.  They probably pay PSLs ans pay for bullshit sham pre-season games at full price.  Watching a single game on TV could make this much more affordable, for some.
    Interested to see if any Titans fans complain.  

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,598
    After the 49ers fans took over the LA Stadium and then showed up in big numbers for the Dallas game, I can see more teams doing this. It has to be disheartening and embarrassing for a home team to see their stadium filled with fans of the opponent, especially for a playoff game.
  • Options
    Tennessee has an 'issue' with traveling fans...  Nashville is a nice destination city that people want to go to, which is great.  The fan base is also tepid enough where tickets are fairly easy/cheap to acquire.

The past 2 games the Bills have played there (with fans), a majority of people in attendance were from Buffalo.  

• Options

Agree.  If your fans want to sell the tickets and use the windfall rather than attend a divisional round game, changing the rules to stop them is kind of messed up.  They probably pay PSLs ans pay for bullshit sham pre-season games at full price.  Watching a single game on TV could make this much more affordable, for some.

Isn't scalping illegal there, technically?  The team doesn't get any piece of that windfall, why shouldn't that limit it and get the side benefit of keeping the tickets in locals hands (and the prices down for locals).  Seems like a great idea to me.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Isn't scalping illegal there, technically?  The team doesn't get any piece of that windfall, why shouldn't that limit it and get the side benefit of keeping the tickets in locals hands (and the prices down for locals).  Seems like a great idea to me.  
    I agree.  You are trying to grow a fanbase and make the experience as good as possible for your fans/paying customers.  You also want to cultivate a home field advantage for your team in one of its biggest games in franchise history.  

With the situation Cincinnati is in, Im sure there are about 100,000 fans willing to travel for this game, which literally is their biggest game in 40 years, and a reasonable trip distance-wise.  Could be very ugly for the home team/fans.
  • Options

Resale ticket markets benefit sports teams and fans

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    How much is that really going to curb resales in this day and age? 24 hours is a big window when it takes seconds.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Tennessee has an 'issue' with traveling fans...  Nashville is a nice destination city that people want to go to, which is great.  The fan base is also tepid enough where tickets are fairly easy/cheap to acquire.

The past 2 games the Bills have played there (with fans), a majority of people in attendance were from Buffalo.  

Ummm LA?  That city has never had an identity for a football team.  Raiders take the closest claim to the city but Rams never had a chance.  Chargers?  Good luck.

I used to go see the raiders play at the coliseum.  That was interesting up top, lol.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    How much is that really going to curb resales in this day and age? 24 hours is a big window when it takes seconds.
    I think the point is to shorten the window so it's harder for Cincy fans to plan and travel.  Certainly some will roll the dice and come to town without tickets, but probably fewer. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815
    mrussel1 said:

This just seems to be anti-fan, to me.  Nothing stopping fans from keeping their seats and enjoying the games.
      I did not know it was illegal to put seats onto Stub Hub in TN....don't know much about TN.

I'll be against most league and team mandates if I feel they are anti-fan, that is my bias against the NFL.  I expect others to have different opinions. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

This just seems to be anti-fan, to me.  Nothing stopping fans from keeping their seats and enjoying the games.
      I did not know it was illegal to put seats onto Stub Hub in TN....don't know much about TN.

I'll be against most league and team mandates if I feel they are anti-fan, that is my bias against the NFL.  I expect others to have different opinions. 
    I don't see this as anti-fan.  I see it as pro local fans at the expense of Cincy traveling fans.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,189
    I'm really stoked for the Bengals.  I grew up close to Cincinnati so they have been my team forever.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I'm really stoked for the Bengals.  I grew up close to Cincinnati so they have been my team forever.

I'm sorry...
  • Options

I'm sorry...
    I adopted the Colts once we moved to IN but yeah....it's been rough. At least I got a SB victory with the Colts.

I watched Joe Montana and the 49ers beat the Bengals twice in the SB

Bengals are going to finally get their SB though. Assuming Burrow stays healthy.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    I dunno, man.  The AFC is an absolute gauntlet for the next decade or so.  Even with Josh Allen, Im not counting on a Super Bowl.  You have Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, possibly Trevor Lawrence if Jacksonville doesnt ruin/waste him. Wherever Watson ends up... You also have well run organizations like New England, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I dunno, man.  The AFC is an absolute gauntlet for the next decade or so.  Even with Josh Allen, Im not counting on a Super Bowl.  You have Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, possibly Trevor Lawrence if Jacksonville doesnt ruin/waste him. Wherever Watson ends up... You also have well run organizations like New England, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh.  
    please don't take a giant shit on my fantasy

• Options
    I didn't realize that Buffalo went to the SB four years in a row and lost each time....with Colts coach Reich as the backup QB