Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    mrussel1 said:
    Tampa's entire D should have gotten MVP...Hold KC to 3 fg's?,,amazing
    Was amazing.  Now not as amazing as the 2004 Defense. Now that defense was just a killer.  They weren't "bend don't break", they were "don't bend, don't break and let Derrick Brooks destroy people". 
    That was the 2002 season. Fuck that team. 
    Oh right, it was 02.  Haha, you weren't a fan?  Raiders fan? I was still living in Tampa at that time.  They were a monster, just needed a serviceable quarterback which Johnson was.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    edited February 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Was amazing.  Now not as amazing as the 2004 Defense. Now that defense was just a killer.  They weren't "bend don't break", they were "don't bend, don't break and let Derrick Brooks destroy people". 
    Oh right, it was 02.  Haha, you weren't a fan?  Raiders fan? I was still living in Tampa at that time.  They were a monster, just needed a serviceable quarterback which Johnson was.  
    Dude, I am an Eagles fan. That was our year. Huge favorite at home in the championship game...final game at the Vet...cold temperature against a warm weather team who at that point had never won a game in their franchise history when the temp was below 35 degrees or something...…and after an opening drive touchdown, the Eagles just completely shit the bed. Ugh. To this day, it remains the worst loss I have ever experienced in person of any sport. You could've heard a pin drop walking out of that stadium that night. Thoroughly depressing loss. Had to call out of work the next day I was so depressed. 

But, hey, thanks for bringing it up! 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Here's the latest insane Brady stat I've seen. He's won four Super Bowls since turning 37. Think about that. Four Super Bowl rings...the gold standard set by Bradshaw and then tied by Montana, and this guy has that many since age 37.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Dude, I am an Eagles fan. That was our year. Huge favorite at home in the championship game...final game at the Vet...cold temperature against a warm weather team who at that point had never won a game in their franchise history when the temp was below 35 degrees or something...…and after an opening drive touchdown, the Eagles just completely shit the bed. Ugh. To this day, it remains the worst loss I have ever experienced in person of any sport. You could've heard a pin drop walking out of that stadium that night. Thoroughly depressing loss. Had to call out of work the next day I was so depressed. 

Ah okay.  I do remember that game.  We saw the Eagles as the real hurdle.  BTW, that cold weather stat was such silliness.  The Bucs had NEVER been good in their history (save '82 maybe) and they played in the NFC north, so yeah they sucked in cold weather games because they sucked in all games.
    But I know that feeling of the dead stadium.  I was at the 87 AFC championship game...otherwise known as "The Drive", when Elway engineered the tie in the last two minutes, starting from the 2 yard line.  We were all chanting SUPER BOWL at a level you can't imagine.  Then 30 minutes later, Rich Karlis kicks a fg in OT and breaks our heart.  I don't know what's worse...your situation or mine. 

BTW, 02-04 was a real Philly/Tampa thing.  The Lightning and Flyers were right at the top of the conference as well.  And Flyers fans were JUST THE WORST.  You'd be at a game and there was always one guy wearing a Hextall jersey that would stand up when something happened for hte Flyers and give everyone the finger and swearing, outnumbered 20,000:1. 
  • Options
    Here's the latest insane Brady stat I've seen. He's won four Super Bowls since turning 37. Think about that. Four Super Bowl rings...the gold standard set by Bradshaw and then tied by Montana, and this guy has that many since age 37.
    It's insane how Brady's success has shattered the bar. 

15 years ago, would anyone have believed one QB could make it to 10 Super Bowls, let alone win 7?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Ah okay.  I do remember that game.  We saw the Eagles as the real hurdle.  BTW, that cold weather stat was such silliness.  The Bucs had NEVER been good in their history (save '82 maybe) and they played in the NFC north, so yeah they sucked in cold weather games because they sucked in all games.
    But I know that feeling of the dead stadium.  I was at the 87 AFC championship game...otherwise known as "The Drive", when Elway engineered the tie in the last two minutes, starting from the 2 yard line.  We were all chanting SUPER BOWL at a level you can't imagine.  Then 30 minutes later, Rich Karlis kicks a fg in OT and breaks our heart.  I don't know what's worse...your situation or mine. 

BTW, 02-04 was a real Philly/Tampa thing.  The Lightning and Flyers were right at the top of the conference as well.  And Flyers fans were JUST THE WORST.  You'd be at a game and there was always one guy wearing a Hextall jersey that would stand up when something happened for hte Flyers and give everyone the finger and swearing, outnumbered 20,000:1. 
    The Drive must've been a crazy game to be at. This one isn't remembered like that but in Philadelphia, it is remembered as an all-timer, up there with Joe Carter simply because it was the last game at that stadium and literally everyone assumed it was finally gonna happen for us. I've never been more confident heading into a game than I was on that day. 

So are you a Bucs fan or a Browns fan? I thought you were from Ohio and now live in VA? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Also, yeah, I know what you mean about the cold weather stat, but it was just another twist of the knife for us. Tampa was good for a few years prior to that. The Eagles beat them in the playoffs the two years prior and everyone always talked about that. I remember the wind chill was in the single digits for that NYE 2000 wild card game. Holy shit was that a frigid night. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

The Drive must've been a crazy game to be at. This one isn't remembered like that but in Philadelphia, it is remembered as an all-timer, up there with Joe Carter simply because it was the last game at that stadium and literally everyone assumed it was finally gonna happen for us. I've never been more confident heading into a game than I was on that day. 

So are you a Bucs fan or a Browns fan? I thought you were from Ohio and now live in VA? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Also, yeah, I know what you mean about the cold weather stat, but it was just another twist of the knife for us. Tampa was good for a few years prior to that. The Eagles beat them in the playoffs the two years prior and everyone always talked about that. I remember the wind chill was in the single digits for that NYE 2000 wild card game. Holy shit was that a frigid night. 
    So I was born in Cleveland and lived there until I was 18 when I moved to Tampa and attended USF (then U-Miami, of all places).  I lived there until I was 30 when my company relocated me to VA which where I am today.  You got me pegged!  So I am all Cleveland/Ohio first, but my time in Tampa was good.  Bucs and Rays are my #2.  Lightning #1 just because no Cleveland hockey.  Also from 95-99 I was in Tampa and the Browns were gone anyway.   Haven't picked up any DC teams.  I hate the Caps in fact.  I do like UVA just because C'ville is close and it's a great city.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

So I was born in Cleveland and lived there until I was 18 when I moved to Tampa and attended USF (then U-Miami, of all places).  I lived there until I was 30 when my company relocated me to VA which where I am today.  You got me pegged!  So I am all Cleveland/Ohio first, but my time in Tampa was good.  Bucs and Rays are my #2.  Lightning #1 just because no Cleveland hockey.  Also from 95-99 I was in Tampa and the Browns were gone anyway.   Haven't picked up any DC teams.  I hate the Caps in fact.  I do like UVA just because C'ville is close and it's a great city.  
    Good stuff. I'm always curious as to how people develop their rooting interests....especially Browns fans in the mid to late 90's. I can't imagine what that would've been like but it makes sense to gravitate towards the Tampa teams since you lived there at the time. 

Congrats on yesterday!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Good stuff. I'm always curious as to how people develop their rooting interests....especially Browns fans in the mid to late 90's. I can't imagine what that would've been like but it makes sense to gravitate towards the Tampa teams since you lived there at the time. 

Congrats on yesterday!
    The worst  was watching the ex-Browns led by Ozzie Newsome win the Super Bowl as Ravens.  I think that was 2000.  It was really raw and painful at the time. Ravens still make me puke to this day, way more than the Steelers. 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I had some bad ones.  The worst in-game experience was probably when the Sabres got swept in overtime in the ECF in 07.  

I am from Buffalo so naturally Im a Bills and Sabres fan.  For some reason in the mid-80s I latched onto the Cleveland Indians as a young kid, even though they were a terrible 100-loss team at the time.  

I also liked the Denver Nuggets in the 80s too.  No idea why.  Liked their uniforms and Fat Lever and Alex English.  Dont really have an NBA team, but if I had to choose one it might be the Timberwolves or Nuggets or something that has never won anything.

I was living in Philadelphia for awhile.  I had adopted them as my NL team about 2005.  They ended up going on their run, so I had to drop them at risk of being a front-runner.  i did enjoy going to a lot of games in that era though. 
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I had some bad ones.  The worst in-game experience was probably when the Sabres got swept in overtime in the ECF in 07.  

I am from Buffalo so naturally Im a Bills and Sabres fan.  For some reason in the mid-80s I latched onto the Cleveland Indians as a young kid, even though they were a terrible 100-loss team at the time.  

I also liked the Denver Nuggets in the 80s too.  No idea why.  Liked their uniforms and Fat Lever and Alex English.  Dont really have an NBA team, but if I had to choose one it might be the Timberwolves or Nuggets or something that has never won anything.

I was living in Philadelphia for awhile.  I had adopted them as my NL team about 2005.  They ended up going on their run, so I had to drop them at risk of being a front-runner.  i did enjoy going to a lot of games in that era though. 
    You guys got screwed in the finals vs the Stars.  F Hull. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    ya know....shitty little tampa bay is nearly a "city of champions"....bucs, lightning, rays have come close.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Tampa did a great job of taking that child abuser out of KC’s offense. KC didn’t have an answer. 

Todd Bowles deserves another HC shot. 
    & Kelce too. Once those two were negated, Mahomes wasn't able to "put his cape on" as Romo said (barf). Tampa had an awesome game plan, and Reid had no answer for it. 

If the salary cap catches up to KC the way some expect it too, this will have been an even bigger lost opportunity than it already seems. 
    I head this morning that the 29 pressures on Mahomes were the most in NFL SB history.  That's pretty amazing considering some of the great defenses that have won over the years.  The reshuffling of the O line was truly the death knell.  By the second quarter he was getting antsy in the pocket after his first read, it seemed.  

mahomes scrambled for 497 yards. :tired_face:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited February 2021
    Cemented the fact Mahonnes or any other QB will never come close to WINNING 7 SB's...Could have been 6-2 in wins......Brady just took that shit from Mahomes..Does Josh Allen win more than PM?
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    Cemented the fact Mahonnes or any other QB will never come close to WINNING 7 SB's...Could have been 6-2 in wins......Brady just took that shit from Mahomes..Does Josh Allen win more than PM?

no.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703

idk. I'd say the defenses on both sides won that for Tampa
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    No player will replicate what Tom Brady has done.  As a Chiefs fan, I'm perfectly fine with that.  They've had a phenomenal three-year run and are now faced with the challenge of the Mahomes contract occupying a lot more cap space.  They have to make sure they continue to hit in the draft and on cost-effective free agents.  it's too bad they can't get out from under Frank Clark's contract.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    mickeyrat said:

idk. I'd say the defenses on both sides won that for Tampa

Absolutely..I just meant had PM won that one,  MAYBE, he has a shot at 6...
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    Most likely Josh Allen already can't catch Mahomes with the luck the Buffalo Bills have in Superb Owl history.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    it's too bad they can't get out from under Frank Clark's contract.
    Interesting.
    Clark to me was the best KC defender on the field Sunday. I know he makes a lot of coin, but if you shed him your defense is going to really suck.
  • Options
    The ripple effect of Brady's title w/ TB will be interesting. 

According to reports, Russell Wilson is unhappy in Seattle & wants more say in picking players.
  • Options
    The ripple effect of Brady's title w/ TB will be interesting. 

According to reports, Russell Wilson is unhappy in Seattle & wants more say in picking players.
    Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I like Russ but agree that letting a player pick the players is foolish.  Factoring in who might play well together is smart, but that is for the GM to determine based on any feedback they can garner from players, coaches, etc....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Its the NBA model. (AKA Taking my talents to Souf Beach)
    Players in that league have a ridiculous amount of pull in where they go or who joins them. NFL players see that and want similar.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    It could be really good for some teams and a disaster for others. I think back to when a bunch of Vikings players persuaded Favre to come out of retirement and play for them. Worked out really well for 1 season, but blew the chance at a SB. Team chemistry is huge, but you don't want some prima donna even if they have a shit ton of talent. Seems like something that a GM should already be doing. Listen to what your captains have to say about needs, but not necessarily act on every idea brought forth.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Players in that league have a ridiculous amount of pull in where they go or who joins them. NFL players see that and want similar.
    The size of the team makes it impossible for a QB to try to manage the economics and salary cap of the roster.  It may have some short term benefit, but long term would be a disaster for the organization.  You would have to be a fool to let a player into that space.  Completely different than the NBA.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    The size of the team makes it impossible for a QB to try to manage the economics and salary cap of the roster.  It may have some short term benefit, but long term would be a disaster for the organization.  You would have to be a fool to let a player into that space.  Completely different than the NBA.
    I agree, but no question some NFL players want the same amount of leverage as NBA players have.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    I agree, but no question some NFL players want the same amount of leverage as NBA players have.
    No question about it.  Is Wilson trying to get involved on the D side too, or just offensive weapons? 
  • Options
    I like Russ but agree that letting a player pick the players is foolish.  Factoring in who might play well together is smart, but that is for the GM to determine based on any feedback they can garner from players, coaches, etc....
    Especially after hearing all the input Carson had on the Eagles the last few years...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    edited February 2021
    Poncier said:
    it's too bad they can't get out from under Frank Clark's contract.
    Interesting.
    Clark to me was the best KC defender on the field Sunday. I know he makes a lot of coin, but if you shed him your defense is going to really suck.
    He was the best on Sunday, but to pay as much as the Chiefs do ($25.8M against the cap, which is the highest cap hit they have) for a guy who has 8 and 6 sack seasons in his two years respectively is not exactly maximizing value.  They can't miss on another investment like him now that Mahomes is no longer going to be paid like a rookie.

Don't get me wrong, Clark is a good player and very well-rounded defensive end.  He's getting paid like one of the best at getting to the QB and he hasn't been enough of that.
    Post edited by Glorified KC on
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.