The National Football League

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Mercifully the 49ers season is over. I have never seen a season like that where injuries took such a toll. Even the back ups and third stringers were missing large amounts of time. 
    Have you heard of the Philadelphia Eagles?
    Yeah they throw games.   
    I was fine with it last night, but seeing Giants fans overreact to it today has made me love the decision even more. Lol
    Al and Cris were driving me crazy talking about how Giants fans must be feeling watching that game. They had six wins! That’s a shitty season. Just because they played in the worst division in league history and they could’ve snuck in the postseason doesn’t make it any less shitty. My team (Miami) went 10-6 and missed the playoffs. And I wasn’t crying about Pittsburgh sitting guys against Cleveland (Miami would’ve made it if the Browns lost). 

My thoughts on fans of a 6-win team complaining that a 4-win team didn’t do enough help them out in week 17: https://youtu.be/AkcL6wzCJl8
    Again completely different.  You sit your starters before a playoff game.  You don’t tank a game to a divisional rival and allow them to clinch on your home Field. 
    What's funnier than us Giants fans calling out tanking is, Eagles fans thinking going from 6 to 9 in the draft will actually make a huge difference for them. Lol
    You don't think the 6th pick is better than the 9th? 

We're also saying you guys getting the 11th pic is better than 18th or whatever and getting blown out next week.

This isn't hard to comprehend, fellas....
    May you get the next jamarcus Russel with your sixth round pick.  
    Jamarcus Russell in the 6th round wouldn't be too bad of a pick. Certainly worth the shot.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Mercifully the 49ers season is over. I have never seen a season like that where injuries took such a toll. Even the back ups and third stringers were missing large amounts of time. 
    Have you heard of the Philadelphia Eagles?
    Yeah they throw games.   
    I was fine with it last night, but seeing Giants fans overreact to it today has made me love the decision even more. Lol
    Al and Cris were driving me crazy talking about how Giants fans must be feeling watching that game. They had six wins! That’s a shitty season. Just because they played in the worst division in league history and they could’ve snuck in the postseason doesn’t make it any less shitty. My team (Miami) went 10-6 and missed the playoffs. And I wasn’t crying about Pittsburgh sitting guys against Cleveland (Miami would’ve made it if the Browns lost). 

My thoughts on fans of a 6-win team complaining that a 4-win team didn’t do enough help them out in week 17: https://youtu.be/AkcL6wzCJl8
    Again completely different.  You sit your starters before a playoff game.  You don’t tank a game to a divisional rival and allow them to clinch on your home Field. 
    What's funnier than us Giants fans calling out tanking is, Eagles fans thinking going from 6 to 9 in the draft will actually make a huge difference for them. Lol
    You don't think the 6th pick is better than the 9th? 

We're also saying you guys getting the 11th pic is better than 18th or whatever and getting blown out next week.

This isn't hard to comprehend, fellas....
    Not always. Yes, nice to have 6th vs 9th. Don't get me wrong I expected them to throw that game. I didn't think they were going to drop 3 spots just so they can say they ruined Washington's day. Was it a shit move? Yes. Can I blame them for wanting 6th vs 9th? No. However, lots of Philly fans in different forums defend throwing that game like their franchise is going from 4-12 to 12-4, because now they have the 6th pick vs 9th. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    johnny football is making another comeback. he said that FCF is something he “could get behind because I won’t have to be extremely, extremely serious, the way that my football career has been in the past.” oh, really?

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    MayDay10 said:
    I wish they changed the draft order being reverse order of the standings. Maybe a lottery system like the NBA. Or maybe the bottom 5 or even 10 teams all have a shot at the number one pick. Anything to get rid of blatant tanking. The Jets were ridiculed for winning. They basically messed up by playing well and winning two games. What type of world is that? 

Not that this would end tanking completely. But seeing stuff like “Jaguars ‘clinch’ first pick in the draft” on the bottom of the ESPN ticker is mind-numbing. 
    I don't like the lottery.  It leaves a bad taste for the (needy) teams who get passed over... like what if the Bengals snagged it from Jax and the jets?  It also leaves the door open for conspiracy theories.  

Tanking doesn't seem to be an issue in the nfl.  Players' earnings window is short, they don't care who the draft pick is and play hard.  Coaches are typically coaching for their lives and futures too, especially if they are near #32.  Did Marrone, gase, etc really care if their teams got the 1oa?

You also have to cut pretty deep to be that bad.  In the nfl it isn't too often that 1st overall is that transformative (like the NHL and NBA can be)

Also, its worth pointing out the Bills and the Dolphins as examples for not tanking.  Both teams had a deep tear-down.  Both teams targeted QBs in the upcoming drafts.  It would have been easy for them to really kick the legs out from themselves and sink into a nice 1-15, or 2-14 finish, but instead won some games and built on a culture of accountability and seeking victory.  The Bills ended up with Josh Allen anyway, despite making the playoffs. that season... and Miami got Tua who was the original prize anyway.  Miami won 10 games and under normal circumstances would be a playoff team, and the Bills are riding a wave of success currently. 

The Buffalo Sabres performed one of the most insidious acts of tanking in memory.  I was in support of it too.  The prize was either McDavid or Eichel, guaranteed franchise cornerstones.  They pissed off their players and installed such a terrible losing culture, they havent been able to shake it in the 4-5 years since. 

Looking at it now, that move by the Eagles/Pederson is foolish.  Yes, they move up in the draft, which I normally support... but such an acute demonstration of trying to lose has disenfranchised players, judging by some responses.  This day and age, it is so paramount for players to have trust in their coaches and management.  Since Pederson will be there next year, he has donked off a good deal of trust to move up 3 picks.

On the flip-side, Judge came to the defense of his team, who fought for him to the end.  He will use this to motivate the players.  They will remember he had their back, and next year, they will have an extra chip on their shoulder when they play the Eagles.

Not having a dog in the fight and digesting it for a few days, this was a terrible decision by Pederson/Eagles.  I dont think it is necessarily 'wrong' to do and requires punishment, but it is a self-inflicted wound.  It is easy to pull a better player at #9 than it is at #6.   
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,353
    @MayDay10 are you going to the game? 
    no, I had a shot at tickets for our seniority level, but as a group (there are 10 of us), we decided to go to the Divisional Round (if they make it).  A few of us couldnt make it this weekend, and another is out of town until Saturday (they are doing the covid tests at the stadium today and tomorrow).  If you got tix for the wild card round, I guess you go to the back of the line for the next round, so we punted.

Honestly, the game experience doesnt have much appeal to me other than the 'say I was there' factor.  Between ticket, covid test, parking, fees, it was about $170 per ticket.  I would have to go to the stadium (which is about 30 minutes from where I work each way) to get tested this morning or tomorrow.  No tailgating.  We would need to arrive and enter a gate, and leave at specific times.  And sit outside in groups of 2's in 20-degree weather.  6,772 people in a 70K seat stadium will not provide any real atmosphere.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    mcgruff10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I wish they changed the draft order being reverse order of the standings. Maybe a lottery system like the NBA. Or maybe the bottom 5 or even 10 teams all have a shot at the number one pick. Anything to get rid of blatant tanking. The Jets were ridiculed for winning. They basically messed up by playing well and winning two games. What type of world is that? 

Not that this would end tanking completely. But seeing stuff like “Jaguars ‘clinch’ first pick in the draft” on the bottom of the ESPN ticker is mind-numbing. 
    I don't like the lottery.  It leaves a bad taste for the (needy) teams who get passed over... like what if the Bengals snagged it from Jax and the jets?  It also leaves the door open for conspiracy theories.  

Tanking doesn't seem to be an issue in the nfl.  Players' earnings window is short, they don't care who the draft pick is and play hard.  Coaches are typically coaching for their lives and futures too, especially if they are near #32.  Did Marrone, gase, etc really care if their teams got the 1oa?

You also have to cut pretty deep to be that bad.  In the nfl it isn't too often that 1st overall is that transformative (like the NHL and NBA can be)
    People are up in arms over a 4 win team tanking away the 4th quarter of a meaningless football game for them is some weird shit. 
    No conversation if you just play to win.   Plus it was such an obvious tank.  
    It was in the Eagles best interest to lose. Ironically, it was in the Giants' best interest as well.

You are welcome. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    MayDay10 said:
    no, I had a shot at tickets for our seniority level, but as a group (there are 10 of us), we decided to go to the Divisional Round (if they make it).  A few of us couldnt make it this weekend, and another is out of town until Saturday (they are doing the covid tests at the stadium today and tomorrow).  If you got tix for the wild card round, I guess you go to the back of the line for the next round, so we punted.

Honestly, the game experience doesnt have much appeal to me other than the 'say I was there' factor.  Between ticket, covid test, parking, fees, it was about $170 per ticket.  I would have to go to the stadium (which is about 30 minutes from where I work each way) to get tested this morning or tomorrow.  No tailgating.  We would need to arrive and enter a gate, and leave at specific times.  And sit outside in groups of 2's in 20-degree weather.  6,772 people in a 70K seat stadium will not provide any real atmosphere.  
    I can understand and relate to that perspective. 

Divisional bullshit aside, best of of luck. It's always great to see a team who never won it before bring the title home, so the Bills will be one of the teams I'm pulling for. 

I hope you & your crew are freezing your asses off enjoying a divisional game next weekend. 
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,492
    Right now I feel the 2 biggest threats to the Chiefs coming out of the AFC are Buffalo and Baltimore.  This is also coming from a lot of other Chiefs pundits on the podcasts I listen to on a regular basis (and I'm sure my podcast will say the same this week).  Buffalo had a good game plan for KC in October, but the weather was affecting both QBs.  If Allen can spin the ball, the Bills can match KC's offense.  Baltimore seems like they are peaking at the right time and I'm sure Jackson is chomping at the bit to dis-spell the perception that he blows his load in the playoffs.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Hey, haven't checked in here, but re: this Houston/Watson/GM stuff from what I'm reading: if your Watson you're gonna leave when your contract's up right?
    Hey, haven't checked in here, but re: this Houston/Watson/GM stuff from what I'm reading: if your Watson you're gonna leave when your contract's up right?
    There's some smoke to trading him because he's that unhappy.  I'm not sure if that's the truth, but you would think the franchise would want to keep him and build the team around him.  His input into who he would work best with as HC should be valued.  If not, this organization continues to be a hot mess.

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    That organization is a mess.  But Watson just signed a 4 year extension worth something crazy like 160M before this season.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Apparently they paid Korn Ferry between $250k and $600k to recommend GM candidates and this owner just completely ignored it.

They don't have any consistency at coach, Watson consistently gets destroyed. Pretty sure based on Bob McNair's prior comments that he sees players as something he owns that I wouldn't think it'd be that far off to think his son thinks the same.
    I don't see any way they trade Watson.
    Would be stupid. You have the most important piece, just build around him. Imagine how good he could be with a wide receiver like DeAndre Hopkins to throw to? Maybe you can get Arizona to trade him to you for a largely washed up running back and a 2nd round pick.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Poncier said:
    I don't see any way they trade Watson.
    Would be stupid. You have the most important piece, just build around him. Imagine how good he could be with a wide receiver like DeAndre Hopkins to throw to? Maybe you can get Arizona to trade him to you for a largely washed up running back and a 2nd round pick.

Haaaaaa - oh wait, that is life.

Texans franchise -  so dumb.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    Playoff football all day Saturday and all day Sunday and then national championship game Monday.  It's going to be a wonderful few days here...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Playoff football all day Saturday and all day Sunday and then national championship game Monday.  It's going to be a wonderful few days here...

Kinda wish I could be somewhere w/buddies to watch vs. at home with my wife & kid. 

Fucking 'Rona.
    ^ I hear you, we have a Chiefs watch group here in Milwaukee that I haven't been with since Week 2.  It's weird too, because myself and the guy who runs our group started a Podcast for the Milwaukee Chiefs Fans.  They've been able to see me virtually, but I haven't been able to hang with them.
    edited January 2021

Kinda wish I could be somewhere w/buddies to watch vs. at home with my wife & kid. 

Fucking 'Rona.
    Yep.
    Super Bowl Sunday this year is gonna be all kinds of f'ed up. Normally one of my favorite days of the year.
    Been watching the SB with same group since high school, usually do an overnight at Foxwoods the last several years.

This year it will be me watching in the living room, while the football hating wife is in another room and the couldn't care less kid is playing Mario Kart on his Switch.
    Damn you Rona.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    Poncier said:

Fucking 'Rona.
    Yep.
    Super Bowl Sunday this year is gonna be all kinds of f'ed up. Normally one of my favorite days of the year.
    Been watching the SB with same group since high school, usually do an overnight at Foxwoods the last several years.

This year it will be me watching in the living room, while the football hating wife is in another room and the couldn't care less kid is playing Mario Kart on his Switch.
    Damn you Rona.

yeah, poncier misses his annual circle jerk when the pats were good.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Whelp, not as confident in the Bills as I was. Maybe a little nerves and lack of playoff experience?

kudos to the Rams defence for making this game highly entertaining. Thought it might be a blowout 
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    Congratulations to the Bills fans, especially you @MayDay10!  Really glad to see you guys break through the drought!
    Just played go commercial with Even Flow.  This is a sign - Washington for the win!

(Just want to see the Tom Brady face.  Also, it would be great if he could yell at his teammates)
    Dammit, no Brady face maybe next week

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    The Washington rookie QB was pretty impressive for his second NFL start (and that was in the playoffs)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Congratulations to the Bills fans, especially you @MayDay10!  Really glad to see you guys break through the drought!
    Thanks!  It was an emotional moment, to sound hokey about watching millionaires participate in a corporate mosaic.... ha.  

Watched it with my 7 year old who was into it.  Was a bumpy ride at the end for sure, but the ending was the payoff that has eluded me as a Buffalo (and Indians) sports fan forever.  I was 17 the last time they won a playoff game.  I'm a 42 year old man now.  

The Colts were awesome I have to say, and probably should have won it.  They had a number of questionable clock management decisions that undermined their game.  Allen, Diggs, Davis, White, and Hyde were great for the Bills.

AFL 4 Lyfe
    Tough to imagine that string of failure....one of my best friends is a Lions fan and they have it even worse.  One playoff win in his lifetime.  
    Congrats to Bills fans.
    Man... Bills got hosed on that call in the last minute, that was some bullshit. 

Regardless, good win. Have a blast at the game, Mayday. Good luck against whomever. 
  • I love hearing Lamar Jackson talk.  He cracks me up sometimes.  He did a post game interview and cursed.  He said oops my bad, lol.

Good for him.  Good win.
    NFL broadcast on Nickelodeon has (animated) slime cannons that go off in end zone after a TD.