Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Ray Rice's original suspension for punching out his fiancé was TWO games (before the video became public... a video that was already in the possession of the league front office).

Dang, it was only two?  That makes it even worse.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Yep, Rice got 2 initially, then suspended "indefinitely" after TMZ showed everyone Rice knocking out his wife (then fiancée). He was reinstated later after appeal cause he was punished twice for same offense which violated the CBA. But because he was already in decline he never played again, not worth the PR headache for a team since he wasn't very good any longer (unlike Kareem Hunt being snatched up in no time by the Browns cause he's in his prime).

The big issue is the lack of a consistent and objective suspension system. Compare Zeke Elliott and Tyreek Hill.
    Elliot was suspended 6 games, the supposed minimum for domestic abuse even though the league's investigator (a woman) recommended no suspension after interviewing his accuser, saying there was no grounds. Hill got off with nothing after all the recent stuff with his child... no proof but more of a smoking gun than Elliot.(Plus Hill had a known history of domestic abuse in college)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    edited October 2019

Poncier said:
    Yep, Rice got 2 initially, then suspended "indefinitely" after TMZ showed everyone Rice knocking out his wife (then fiancée). He was reinstated later after appeal cause he was punished twice for same offense which violated the CBA. But because he was already in decline he never played again, not worth the PR headache for a team since he wasn't very good any longer (unlike Kareem Hunt being snatched up in no time by the Browns cause he's in his prime).

The big issue is the lack of a consistent and objective suspension system. Compare Zeke Elliott and Tyreek Hill.
    Elliot was suspended 6 games, the supposed minimum for domestic abuse even though the league's investigator (a woman) recommended no suspension after interviewing his accuser, saying there was no grounds. Hill got off with nothing after all the recent stuff with his child... no proof but more of a smoking gun than Elliot.(Plus Hill had a known history of domestic abuse in college)

Not to mention the Josh Brown situation: after talking big about a zero tolerance approach to domestic violence, John Mara & the Giants extended Brown AFTER NFL security had to remove him from his hotel room at the Pro Bowl for kicking the shit out of his wife.

The league initially suspended him for only one game (despite multiple incidents according to Brown's wife and despite a league mandated 6 game minimum suspension for domestic violence), and then the bombshell dropped that the Giants knew about this in advance of signing him.

Somehow the Giants and Mara escaped widespread scrutiny for that, and to this day that franchise with the Steelers are media darlings and considered the gold standard in the NFL.  

It's funny how media coverage of certain teams shapes the way the general public perceives them.

• Options
    Yep, no doubt that was Goodell playing favorites toward the Mara family.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Yep, no doubt that was Goodell playing favorites toward the Mara family.

Oh, it wasn't just Roger Goodell. Peter King, who can't carry enough water for Goodell (& Mara & Peyton & Archie Manning & others) had the balls to print the following:

"The Giants kept him in part—I believe—because like his father, the late Wellington Mara, club CEO John Mara is a staunch Catholic and a Father Flanagan* type who wants to see players turn their lives around."

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/26/josh-brown-release-new-york-giants-nfl-blame

To recap: in the wake of the Ray Rice situation, Mara called for zero tolerance towards players involved in domestic violence, but when it came to his Pro Bowl kicker, he tried to sweep it under the rug. When Mara's advance knowledge of the domestic abuse was brought to light, the NFL media was more than willing to go to bat for him, going so far as to paint him as a selfless Catholic trying to rescue his fellow man, not an NFL team owner trying to win championships.

What a f'n joke.

*If you don't know who Father Flanagan is, I suggest you look him up, the comparison is both comical and nauseating.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Dang, no whining about the Matthews call? My take... play like a dirty bitch, get dirty bitch calls. Had time to hold up but still just had to give him the shoulder check. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    Russell Wilson is pretty good. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Russell Wilson is so underrated.  I picked the Seahawks as my dark horse to win the NFC, largely because of him.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,167
    Russell  Wilson & Carson both fucked me in fantasy

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Love that a draft pick from the Khalil Mack trade ends up dominating. 

Raiders!!!
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    cutz said:
    "You can't have all boy scouts"
    - Mike Mayock
    • First Antonio Brown is gone
    • Second Vontaze Burfict is suspended for a dirty hit
    Over/Under on how long Richie Incognito lasts?

Good question as we all know he's a ticking time bomb too.
    And he was suspended by the league for the first 2 weeks of the season because of an off-the-field incident!

Didn't take long did it:

• Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    - Mike Mayock

And he was suspended by the league for the first 2 weeks of the season because of an off-the-field incident!

Didn't take long did it:

Did it twice. Got called for a chop block a drive or 2 later. The announcer defended the moron. 

Chiefs are gonna win this one 1000-0
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    - Mike Mayock

Didn't take long did it:

Did it twice. Got called for a chop block a drive or 2 later. The announcer defended the moron. 

Chiefs are gonna win this one 1000-0
    How about 1000-7?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    These refs are flinging some serious bullshit. 

Stoked to miss that prediction by a mile.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I think we need a few throwback weeks a year where the replay can’t be used.  The refs clearly don’t know what the fuck is going on.   
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I hate to go all Tommy Brady here, but damn....some of these games are very difficult to watch.  Flags on every other play, and holding calls are through the damn roof.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    I think we need a few throwback weeks a year where the replay can’t be used.  The refs clearly don’t know what the fuck is going on.   
    I think they must be working towards that. In the 4th quarter, in the midst of the refs desperation to figure out a way to save the crown prince, there were virtually back to back defensive holding calls and I never seen those replays. I’m assuming those flags were as bad or worse than the call on Hilton.
  • Options
    Collinsworth was unbearable last night, these guys are embarrassing.
  • Options
    That call on Hilton was mind blowing, and to uphold it on review even moreso.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    no one ever wants to get fired but I imagine at least partially Jay Gruden is ok with being out of that mess in Washington.  almost sad to see what Synder has done to that once proud franchise and fan base. 
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Oh my God, you weren’t kidding. 

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1181041513654083589?s=21
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Poncier said:

I’m a Chiefs fan and even I was saying that call was horrible.  What is blatantly obvious enough for a PI to be overturned in instant replay?
    Post edited by Glorified KC on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Poncier said:

I’m a Chiefs fan and even I was saying that call was horrible.  What is blatantly obvious enough for a PI to be overturned in instant replay?
    A third party would be needed to review these types of calls based on they TY challenge results.  What is a ref supposed to do when a head coach essentially makes a challenge that they are complete idiots on live TV?   Of course they are going to come back and state that “after review, we determined we are in fact not idiots, and the call stands” ...
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Poncier said:

A third party would be needed to review these types of calls based on they TY challenge results.  What is a ref supposed to do when a head coach essentially makes a challenge that they are complete idiots on live TV?   Of course they are going to come back and state that “after review, we determined we are in fact not idiots, and the call stands” ...
    This is the reversal that blows my mind.  Packers and Vikings, which took a touchdown off of the board for Minnesota.  This somehow is reversed.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    IMO, replay in all sports needs to be peeled back quite a bit.  In football, I would support:  Out of bounds, touchdown, if a passed ball touches the ground, and fumbles.  NHL if it crosses the goal line.  MLB: none.  NBA:  none

every time they expand these things there are all sorts of unintended consequences and it turns into a disaster, moreso than the perceived 'problem' they have over-reacted to.  It degrades the experience of watching a game, referees are becoming lax over time with this safety net, and it has become confusing (watching a game I dont even know what is 'reviewable' anymore, nor do I know what you need to challenge and how many you have, etc.)  Take a play at the plate in baseball.  Home team scores a tying run in a very close play.  People dont even cheer as much or organically as they would because everyone needs to wait/dread a 'challenge', and then wait on video review.  After that, it is either overturned in an awful, inorganic experience, or upheld, and you get a convoluted 'cheer' from the home crowd.  

If we can enjoy sports without replay, I would gladly take the tradeoff of my favorite team(s) falling victim to a blown call.  IMO, its part of the physics of sports.  
  • Options
    WTAF.... @mayday10 come get your boy... he needs medical attention stat. 
    Warning: graphic 
    https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1180914416885403648?s=21
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    WTAF.... @mayday10 come get your boy... he needs medical attention stat. 
    Warning: graphic 
    https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1180914416885403648?s=21
    It's evolution, baby!