Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,759
    edited January 2015
    imalive wrote: »
    imalive wrote: »
    It's bad enough that the PI call was over turned after the ref announced it and walked off the yardage, but how did dez not get a 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty? Has that been addressed at all? I haven't listened to any sports radio today. Was that mentioned?

we're past this....old news....move on if you can.

The question was if the issue of dez running on the field was addressed on talk radio.

I should shoot myself for keeping this alive, but....

mike perreira just said holding/interference should have been called; dez should not have been flagged....happens all the time and "helmet on" only pertains to players "in" the game.

Blandino said a flag could have been thrown on Bryant. It was up to the official and for some reason, he chose not to throw a flag. It has nothing to do with Bryant not having a helmet on....it's about him storming onto the field to dispute a call. The whole situation was handled poorly by the officiating crew.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359
    haha

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20150107_Cowboys_owner_s_ties_to_Port_Authority_questioned.html

Cowboys owner's ties to Port Authority questioned

As New Jersey Gov. Christopher J. Christie faces criticism over gifts he received from Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, the NFL honcho's ties to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey are also coming under scrutiny.

In March 2013, Christie, a longtime Cowboys fan, and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced they had selected Legends Hospitality - which is owned by the New York Yankees, the Cowboys and the Checketts Partners Investment Fund - to develop and run an observation deck on the top of the port authority-owned One World Trade Center.

The Port Authority board, whose members are appointed by Christie and Cuomo, approved the contract, noting in a statement at the time that the approval "followed yesterday's call from Governors Cuomo and Christie to endorse the award of a contract to Legends."

The Cowboys' business connection to the port authority was first reported by the Wall Street Journal and comes as Christie is facing a questions for accepting tickets to Dallas games and a private plane ride from Jones.

Asked for comment, the Governor's Office referred questions to the port authority.

New Jersey ethics rules permit the governor to accept gifts from friends, but ethics experts told The Inquirer that such substantial gifts could give the impression of trying to curry influence or favor.

Interactions between Jones and Christie, a Republican weighing a 2016 presidential bid, have made the news several times recently.

Christie, who has attended five Cowboys games this season, was seen high-fiving Jones after Dallas' win over the Eagles in Philadelphia last month, and a video of the pair in a group hug during the Cowboys' win over Detroit on Sunday was widely distributed on social media.

When Legends was selected for the One World Observatory Project, the port authority said the firm was selected after a "rigorous competition" among six proposals.

The financial terms of the deal haven't been publicly disclosed.

Randy Levine, Yankees president and Legends board member, told the Journal the bidding process didn't involve personal favors, and said Christie and Jones weren't personally involved.

Jones, whose family owns a "significant" stake in Legends, according to Levine, was quoted in a news release after the firm was selected, saying the business was "humbled to have been chosen to operate the Observatory Deck and are committed to provide all who visit with a memorable experience that honors what the building represents not just locally, but nationally as well."

The observation deck, expected to open early this year, is projected to bring in $875 million in revenue for the port authority over 15 years, the agency has said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20150107_Cowboys_owner_s_ties_to_Port_Authority_questioned.html#LsXfWOjv64bcjTiP.99
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,552
    MORE CONSPIRACY THEORY!!!!! @-)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    The officials should not have picked the flag up after announcing the penalty. That was wrong. But picking up the flag did not cement the victory for Dallas.
    I think the officials owe an apology to not only Detroit, but to Dallas. They had a stellar year and won their way into the playoffs legitimately. Now their playoff win is tainted because these idiots can't make up their minds on a PI call. But I really don't think it's fair to put any blame on Dallas. And as amusing as it is to picture Jerry Jones paying them off, that's not what happened. There's no conspiracy. There was no fix. It was a penalty that was handled poorly by the officials and they are the only ones to blame - no one else. Lions fans and NFL fans in general have a right to be pissed - but not at the Cowboys. Hate them for all your other reasons all you want to, but they aren't responsible for poor officiating.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    The officials should not have picked the flag up after announcing the penalty. That was wrong. But picking up the flag did not cement the victory for Dallas.
    I think the officials owe an apology to not only Detroit, but to Dallas. They had a stellar year and won their way into the playoffs legitimately. Now their playoff win is tainted because these idiots can't make up their minds on a PI call. But I really don't think it's fair to put any blame on Dallas. And as amusing as it is to picture Jerry Jones paying them off, that's not what happened. There's no conspiracy. There was no fix. It was a penalty that was handled poorly by the officials and they are the only ones to blame - no one else. Lions fans and NFL fans in general have a right to be pissed - but not at the Cowboys. Hate them for all your other reasons all you want to, but they aren't responsible for poor officiating.

It will all be forgotten when GB wins this weekend. Detroit would not have beaten GB in GB either. The only reason I feel for Detroit is because they have only won 1 playoff game in the modern era (since Super Bowl I)
    1 fucking game! lol. Have to feel badly for that level of ineptitude.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The officials should not have picked the flag up after announcing the penalty. That was wrong. But picking up the flag did not cement the victory for Dallas. .

Check the article I posted about how it affected Detroit's win percentage. The blown call/no flag on Dez is essentially the equivalent to game ending interception.

It is what it is--this weekend of games coming up is one of the best sports weekends of the year. Can't wait
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    The officials should not have picked the flag up after announcing the penalty. That was wrong. But picking up the flag did not cement the victory for Dallas. .

Check the article I posted about how it affected Detroit's win percentage. The blown call/no flag on Dez is essentially the equivalent to game ending interception.

It is what it is--this weekend of games coming up is one of the best sports weekends of the year. Can't wait

I did check it out and it was interesting, but hardly concrete proof. Anything could have happened. They could have turned the ball over; Stafford could have taken big sack taking them out of field goal range and/or missed long field goal; Lions could have gotten penalties that moved them back, etc.
    Even bigger than the reversed call was the fact that the Lions decided to punt it on 4th and 1 and the ball sailed a whopping 10 feet. Why aren't we talking about that? Lions could have easily converted and kept the drive alive.

But yes, I'm looking forward to the games, as well. I hate that it's only Tuesday!
  • Options

I did check it out and it was interesting, but hardly concrete proof. Anything could have happened. They could have turned the ball over; Stafford could have taken big sack taking them out of field goal range and/or missed long field goal; Lions could have gotten penalties that moved them back, etc.
    Even bigger than the reversed call was the fact that the Lions decided to punt it on 4th and 1 and the ball sailed a whopping 10 feet. Why aren't we talking about that? Lions could have easily converted and kept the drive alive.

But yes, I'm looking forward to the games, as well. I hate that it's only Tuesday!

Dude. Come on. There is no such thing as concrete proof that any team will win until the clock strikes zero. But the Lions should have had a first down in the redzone, up 3 with like 7 minutes to go with an extremely high opportunity to end the game. That is the bottom line.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Well bad things can happen in the redzone, too. And look what they did on their final drive - they fumbled twice. They had an extremely high opportunity to end/win the game with 2:32 left.
  • Options
    Well bad things can happen in the redzone, too. And look what they did on their final drive - they fumbled twice. They had an extremely high opportunity to end/win the game with 2:32 left.

No they didn't. They needed to drive 80 yards for a game winning touchdown. The odds are not in your favor in that scenario at all. It is a difficult thing to do.

Of course bad things can happen in the redzone. That's why there is no concrete proof, like you said earlier. But the odds of them winning in that situation would have been extremely high.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Only a cowboy fan could have hardcore proof that Dallas was going to win with the refs so blatantly in the bag as they were! =))
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,759

Dude. Come on. There is no such thing as concrete proof that any team will win until the clock strikes zero. But the Lions should have had a first down in the redzone, up 3 with like 7 minutes to go with an extremely high opportunity to end the game. That is the bottom line.

It's pointless to reason with Cowboys fans over this. It's amazing how irrational people can be when it comes to their teams.
  • Options

No they didn't. They needed to drive 80 yards for a game winning touchdown. The odds are not in your favor in that scenario at all. It is a difficult thing to do.

Of course bad things can happen in the redzone. That's why there is no concrete proof, like you said earlier. But the odds of them winning in that situation would have been extremely high.

Pretty sure Stafford has a few game winning drives under his belt. 2:32 is all any good QB needs to drive down the field. Sure it's not easy, but they do it all the time. Didn't the Lions score a fast TD on their opening drive? A couple of first downs followed by a 50 yard TD pass, wasn't it?

Anyway, like I said earlier, blame the refs.
  • Options

Pretty sure Stafford has a few game winning drives under his belt. 2:32 is all any good QB needs to drive down the field. Sure it's not easy, but they do it all the time. Didn't the Lions score a fast TD on their opening drive? A couple of first downs followed by a 50 yard TD pass, wasn't it?

Anyway, like I said earlier, blame the refs.

"Sure it's not easy..." followed by you talking about how easy it is to complete an 80 yard, game winning touchdown drive, in a playoff game, on the road, for a team who hasn't won a playoff game in a million years.

They do it all the time!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Actually sometimes it is easy, or at least they make it look easy. Are you denying that it doesn't happen a lot? Is it so rare to see a team go on a game-winning TD drive in the final 2+ minutes? It does happen all the time.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Actually sometimes it is easy, or at least they make it look easy. Are you denying that it doesn't happen a lot? Is it so rare to see a team go on a game-winning TD drive in the final 2+ minutes? It does happen all the time.

Sure. If you're a hall of fame quarterback, you'll do it maybe 2 or 3 times in your ENTIRE career, if you're lucky. If you're Matt Stafford...probably never. Maybe once At some point?

Here's the all time list of game winning drives in the playoffs. Note this also includes game winning field goals, which should (hopefully) further indicate how much more difficult and rare it is to obtain a game winning touchdown in the playoffs:

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXleadersXXgwd_career_playoffs.htm

Why do you think the Montana to Clarke "Catch" is so revered in NFL history?
    Not sure what else to tell you
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Actually Mathew Stafford has 22 game-winning drives with DET.

He's number 15 on the list, for active QB's.

pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gwd_active.htm
  • Options
    Actually Mathew Stafford has 22 game-winning drives with DET.

He's number 15 on the list, for active QB's.

pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gwd_active.htm

What's wrong with you, man?

David Garrad is one spot ahead of him on that list. You know what David Garrad and Matt Stafford have in common? They've never done it in a playoff game because it's WAAAY harder to do it in the playoffs as the list I posted proved.

Of Staffford's 17 heroic regular season game winning drives, you see how many of them came against playoff teams? ONE. Only one. It's a lot easier to beat the Cleveland's and Minnesota's of the world in September and October. But it is an entirely different universe once you step into the month of January. That's why it rarely happens in the playoffs.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Hey if Eli can do it twice against the Patriots in the Super Bowl, surely Mathew Stafford can do it once in the wildcard round, lol
  • Options
    Hey if Eli can do it twice against the Patriots in the Super Bowl, surely Mathew Stafford can do it once in the wildcard round, lol

Haha. Fair enough!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

The refs get credit for that comeback win, not Romo. My 2 cents! =))
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    What is Jameis Winston's draft stock in the post-Ray Rice era?
  • Options
    Jason P wrote: »

Tampa Bays #1 choice.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124

Tampa Bays #1 choice.
    What if Mariota goes pro? Any GM with half a mind must see the risk of drafting Winston. Kid doesn't have his head screwed on right.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,274

top 10 for sure

If he stays out of trouble he should be good

Played in a pro offense, is a great competitor

I hope im wrong on Mariota, but he has more bust potential to me. He needs the perfect scenario ( Eagles maybe 1 or 2 others) or I think he will have a difficult time adjusting

• Options
    CROJAM95 wrote: »

top 10 for sure

If he stays out of trouble he should be good

Played in a pro offense, is a great competitor

I hope im wrong on Mariota, but he has more bust potential to me. He needs the perfect scenario ( Eagles maybe 1 or 2 others) or I think he will have a difficult time adjusting

Wow, if I had to guess, I'd say FSU was your favorite college football team.

Mariotta looks to be the most "NFL" ready QB since Luck.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,274
    Most ready since Luck? Wow a whole (2) drafts ago, what a measuring stick.

Winston without the baggage runs circles around Mariota... Plus he's more Luck-ish in his demeanor than Marcus. And also Luck & Winston played in very similar college offenses. Like I mentioned earlier, a lot of these qbs coming up need a good fit to be successful. Mariota will have trouble if the team that drafts him doesn't retrofit an offense for him. Jameis will ease into it more. Look at Kap this year. Why the 49ers went away from that pistol he ran in college, and had early NFLsuccess is beyond me. Also Jameis impressed me more this year than last. His numbers were down, more turnovers, a lot of ugly wins. Guess what... That's gonna help him more than wining by 40 every night, that's NFL football... Down n dirty.

And FSU isn't my favorite team , I really don't have one...I live in the Northeast, there isnt a team up here worth my time... My alma mater is a small upstate NY college. I pay attention mainly to see who I'm watching the following year on Sunday's.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,552

Haha. Fair enough!

OMG.....did the juggler finally let it go???????

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

Winston without the baggage runs circles around Mariota... Plus he's more Luck-ish in his demeanor than Marcus. And also Luck & Winston played in very similar college offenses. Like I mentioned earlier, a lot of these qbs coming up need a good fit to be successful. Mariota will have trouble if the team that drafts him doesn't retrofit an offense for him. Jameis will ease into it more.

Baggage is a big deal. Ask Ryan leaf. I'm not saying Winston will be a bust. I simply think mariotta is better. But I've been wrong before. I agree with you about being in the right "fit" for an offense. That plays a huge part in a young quarterbacks development.
  • Options

Winston without the baggage runs circles around Mariota... Plus he's more Luck-ish in his demeanor than Marcus. And also Luck & Winston played in very similar college offenses. Like I mentioned earlier, a lot of these qbs coming up need a good fit to be successful. Mariota will have trouble if the team that drafts him doesn't retrofit an offense for him. Jameis will ease into it more.

Baggage is a big deal. Ask Ryan leaf. I'm not saying Winston will be a bust. I simply think mariotta is better. But I've been wrong before. I agree with you about being in the right "fit" for an offense. That plays a huge part in a young quarterbacks development.

I don't believe Leaf had any "baggage" coming out of college. He was just an idiot. His legal issues occurred after his career went down in flames...I think
    chinese-happy.jpg