Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    norm wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    Goodell has lost his fucking mind. An entire year????

To make sure this will never happen ever again in the NFL.

Peace

yep...had to make an example of him

I'm fine with that I expected nothing less

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    norm wrote:
    i think it has more to do with all of the lawsuits they have been receiving and will continue to get from ex players complaining about player safety and stuff.

exactly...if players in the future sue, the nfl can show that they were proactive in trying to quell the number of head injuries

this fact will surely get lost in everyone's reaction but this is absolutely the reason.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Sanchez has to be pissed. Just what every pocket passer wants, to be lined up outside for a stupid wildcat play.

Pissed about what Sanchez has to work on his game and get better.Besides that the J E T S are losing their SWAGGER!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    two second round draft picks
    coach full year
    former def coordinator (now with rams) indefinitely with review after year
    GM 8 games
    Assistant coach 6 games...

Unreal
    This might be the punishment of the century.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    So I guess that answers the question on if Goodell thought this was worse than spygate.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    so I am wondering if that is it for Payton with the Saints. They will have to have someone there in the interim, so what are the chances he won't be back ever.

Has to be, right?

Can't mean good things for Brees either. Think he'll request a trade? It'll add nicely to the off season of craziness.

I think the punishment is way out of whack though, especially compared to spygate.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    It was pretty dumb that they continued the bounty system while knowing they were under investigation.

Too bad they didn't just have a bunch of VHS tapes to burn and sweep under the rug.
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    yeah pats got off easy compared to this. what's weird is that the saints weren't breaking the rules of the actual game (maybe with personal fouls), whereas the pats were operating outside the rules. weird.
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    I am sure the bounty system exists throughout the league and this is the example setting punishment to get everyone to think twice about it. they had to be harsh. way too much liability
  • Options
    it's a MAJOR CYA by the NFL with their pending concussion lawsuits...they don't really give an eff about this otherwise.
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:
    So I guess that answers the question on if Goodell thought this was worse than spygate.

Far worse when you are speaking of injurying another player or players. It's a contact sport but not to the point of injurying someone and possibly ending their career. Besides they were warned and investigated previously.

Peace

• Options
    I imagine a lot of NHL GM's are going to have serious conversations about "Money on the Board".
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I imagine a lot of NHL GM's are going to have serious conversations about "Money on the Board".
    not until they get sued for concussions...they don't care about the athletes until they have to pretend to.
  • Options
    Williams had better start making a college search. His NFL days are over.

And considering Manning's neck injury was traced by Tony Dungy to a game against the Redskins when Williams was the D-coordinator, good riddance.
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    not until they get sued for concussions...they don't care about the athletes until they have to pretend to.
    It wouldn't be limited to concussions. For instance, Manning could have sued the Redskins and Williams for $80M left on his Colt's contract if there was evidence a player was paid for the hit and he could never play again.
  • Options
    Is there enough evidence for a "Curse of the Super Bowl Host City"?

Dallas 2010: 6 - 10 while Romo get injured and it's apparent 2009 was his career apex.

Indy 2011: 2 - 14 and the end of the Manning era (i just threw up in my mouth)

Saints 2012: ??? and perhaps a Brees hold-out and the end of Payton's coaching career???
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Jason P wrote:
    Williams had better start making a college search. His NFL days are over.

And considering Manning's neck injury was traced by Tony Dungy to a game against the Redskins when Williams was the D-coordinator, good riddance.

Fletcher was with Williams for years in Buffalo and Wash. He is always flying in late on tackles hitting the ball carrier in the back of the head as he hits the ground. His timing is impeccable. He may be a good player but he's dirty as well.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    I think goodell may have added a little something extra for payton's lying about this.

"oh, that email? I never read it" :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    I think this is interesting:

"The NFL also required all other teams to confirm to the league that they did not have bounty programs in place."

so it's basically putting the onus on all the other teams to look into it and fess up if they also had bounty programs. Assuming that other teams have had bounty programs, Will any of them take a chance and say no? Come clean and hope for leniency?

I think we will hear more about other teams having bounty programs.

(sounds like me dealing with my kids - tell me what happened and deal with the consequences, but lie to me and that is a whole other realm of punishment)
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I think we will hear more about other teams having bounty programs.
    The Titans have been accused of having a similar bounty program. I wonder if that played into Manning's decision?
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Is there enough evidence for a "Curse of the Super Bowl Host City"?

Dallas 2010: 6 - 10 while Romo get injured and it's apparent 2009 was his career apex.

Indy 2011: 2 - 14 and the end of the Manning era (i just threw up in my mouth)

Saints 2012: ??? and perhaps a Brees hold-out and the end of Payton's coaching career???
    On your first response, exactly. The NFL is fucked if this ever got bigger, and it is bigger just other teams weren't so stupid. I'm not sure you're right on Romo's apex though. He was pretty awesome last year, 26 and 9, beat the 49ers with broken ribs, almost beat the Giants with a broken hand until Eli threw up a classic Madden run around and hit the box button that got completed, and was within a few missed field goals of a playoff run. Still the Super Bowl curse could just be that no home team ever makes it - which is 46 or whatever and 0.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    edited March 2012
    I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. I need to hear an explanation for this punishment
    https://twitter.com/#!/drewbrees/status ... 1781447680
    Post edited by norm on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Maybe Greg Williams can use some of his time off to do something about those tits he has.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/22/sport ... am.html?hp
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    norm wrote:
    I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. I need to hear an explanation for this punishment

They were found to have lied to the league throughout the investigation process.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    norm wrote:

They were found to have lied to the league throughout the investigation process.

that was drew brees
  • Options
    Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    norm wrote:

Does Brees really need an explanation as to why Goodell suspended that "great man" who looked the other way while his Defensive Coordinator paid his players to knock opposing players out of games? I'd bet that he'd see things differently if he was one of the players being targeted.
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Filed to ESPN (1): Denver and Jets have encountered hangup in language in Tim Tebow's contract that could nullify trade
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

that was drew brees

Oh...well then he should know that's the reason for the huge suspension
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Bounties were put on Favre, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers, and Kurt Warner. Some by people outside the organization. $5,000 was offered to injure Rodgers in the first game of the 2011 season.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:
    Filed to ESPN (1): Denver and Jets have encountered hangup in language in Tim Tebow's contract that could nullify trade
    Tim Tebow may not become a New York Jet after all.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Broncos and the Jets have encountered a hangup in the language in Tebow’s contract that could nullify the trade. Schefter cites a Broncos source as saying the hangup could keep the trade from happening.

The contractual issue apparently arises from a clause in Tebow’s contract that could require the Jets to pay up to $5 million to the Broncos. The Jets may refuse to do that.

If this turns out to be a serious enough problem that the Tebow-to-Jets deal cannot be completed, then Tebow would go back on the market and the Broncos would try to find a new trading partner.

According to Schefter, the Rams may be that new trading partner, and Tebow could be shipped to St. Louis if the deal with the Jets falls apart. It’s not clear whether Tebow would prefer the Rams or Jets, or if he’ll have any say in the matter at all.

At the moment, the deal is Tebow and the Broncos’ seventh-round pick for the Jets’ fourth- and sixth-round picks. We don’t yet know what the Rams would be willing to give up for Tebow.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... m/related/

:lol::lol: this just gets better and better