Options

Disney Vacations

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    One thing that should be interesting this time around? 

We are staying at one of the value resorts, All Star Sports. And the reason we chose this one is because it has basically gone through a complete renovation the last 2 years. It doesnt open until March (Pretty sure its March). Which basically means it will be a brand new hotel when we get there in May. Between the less expensive cost as compared to other resorts, and the fact that they will basically be brand new rooms, it just seemed like the smart thing to do. 

As much as I like the Swan and Dolphin, Im thinking this will work out just fine. 

So, I got a phone call from Disney 3 days ago. Looks like they over-booked the All Star Sports, and they have upgraded me to Port Orleans Riverside. 
    That is the 1st good news Kathy and I have had in over 3 months. 

Never been to Port Orleans Resort, but it looks spectacular! 
    Food options look great.
    Boat rides along the river to Disney Springs. 
    Place looks gorgeous. 
    We stayed there about 15 years ago.  Nice pool....no complaints that I remember
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,793

We are staying at one of the value resorts, All Star Sports. And the reason we chose this one is because it has basically gone through a complete renovation the last 2 years. It doesnt open until March (Pretty sure its March). Which basically means it will be a brand new hotel when we get there in May. Between the less expensive cost as compared to other resorts, and the fact that they will basically be brand new rooms, it just seemed like the smart thing to do. 

As much as I like the Swan and Dolphin, Im thinking this will work out just fine. 

So, I got a phone call from Disney 3 days ago. Looks like they over-booked the All Star Sports, and they have upgraded me to Port Orleans Riverside. 

Food options look great.
    Place looks gorgeous. 
    We stayed there about 15 years ago.  Nice pool....no complaints that I remember
    Heavy research the last 4 days, and I haven't really read anything bad about the resort. Some folks complain that its too damned big and they had to do a lot of walking. 
    That complaint just cracks me the fuck up. ITS DISNEY! Be prepared to walk 10-15 miles a day, every day! 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220

Food options look great.
    Place looks gorgeous. 
    Nice.
    Glad to see someone get something for nothing from that mouse for once.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Food options look great.
    Place looks gorgeous. 
    Nice.
    Glad to see someone get something for nothing from that mouse for once.
    Kathy and I were thrilled to get the upgrade. 
    The way we look at it? Over the last 25 years, her and I have EASILY given that Rat $30,000. Probably more.
    So yes, an upgrade was a nice gesture on his part. 
  • Options
    3 more weeks.

AND GOOD LORD, DO I NEED A VACATION!!!!! 
  • Options
    2 weeks
    9 more days of work

I need a dole whip! 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    edited April 2022
    I grew up about 40 minutes from Disneyland. We’d go on a random weekday once or twice a year and loved it. 
    Went a few years ago (we live out of state now) and I don’t see myself ever going again.
    It’s so crowded, lines are way too long. And the ticket prices are insane. I think we spent over $1000 just on tickets and food, and we eat as cheaply as we can. It was kind of sad because I had such fond memories, but hard to enjoy myself when I spend a grand to stand in lines all day. Maybe it would be different if we were still close and could go on a random Tuesday off season.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472

I'm cheating on Disney with Universal Studios for the land portion of my land-sea vacation next week!  I got straight As (mostly A+) on my Masters Degree!
  • Options
    tish said:

I'm cheating on Disney with Universal Studios for the land portion of my land-sea vacation next week!  I got straight As (mostly A+) on my Masters Degree!
    Forecast is showing me temperatures in the 80's and plenty of sunshine. 
    Sounds good to me.

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I have a few adult friends that LOVE going to Disney World every year.  I went as a kid and liked it, but have never taken my kids. We have taken them to Tokyo Disney Land/Disney Sea twice. They liked it but not enough to go to Disney World.  Have a great vacation in Orlando!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    mace1229 said:
    I grew up about 40 minutes from Disneyland. We’d go on a random weekday once or twice a year and loved it. 
    Went a few years ago (we live out of state now) and I don’t see myself ever going again.
    It’s so crowded, lines are way too long. And the ticket prices are insane. I think we spent over $1000 just on tickets and food, and we eat as cheaply as we can. It was kind of sad because I had such fond memories, but hard to enjoy myself when I spend a grand to stand in lines all day. Maybe it would be different if we were still close and could go on a random Tuesday off season.
    It is torture. Absolute bullshit to pay that much to stand in line. They let way too many people in those parks.

The food sucks, people are douchebags, everything is sticky and smells like BO

Last time we went to Orlando (stayed at a time share resort so mostly just hung out there at the pool and went out to dinner each night) we decided to hit one park for one day. We went to Universal Studios and got the fast passes ahead of time. I spent $1100 that day for the six of us.

Got there about 11am and by 2pm we were done. It wasn't that busy so the passes probably weren't necessary but we were able to ride everything we wanted a few times. We were all beat up from riding the Hulk coaster and exhausted so we left.  Worst $1100 I've ever spent.

Fuck Orlando. Kings Island is just as good
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    Universal is just to get over the jet lag. And to make sure we catch the boat after the airline screws us.

Hopefully we passed the goddamn covid test and get on the f******boat. Wish us luck.
  • Options
    Good luck and enjoy one of those giant Simpsons donuts.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    My wife has made a list of every Disney snack she is going to enjoy. From ice cream sundaes to beignets, she plans on trying every sweet snack that is offered. I have a feeling by day 3 I will be rushing her to the emergency room, as she will be suffering from a sugar coma. 
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    My wife has made a list of every Disney snack she is going to enjoy. From ice cream sundaes to beignets, she plans on trying every sweet snack that is offered. I have a feeling by day 3 I will be rushing her to the emergency room, as she will be suffering from a sugar coma. 
    Ha. Churro, Mickey pretzel, Dole Whip, Ice Cream, Popcorn, beignets, then off to every country at Epcot for their regional treat...and that's just day 1.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Watching my daughter scarf a cookies and cream funnel cake damn near gave me diabetes, but the scraps were amazing. The boba slushy right outside flight of Passage is tasty as is the milky peach tea boba thing right by Epcot China.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Poncier said:
    You must have about a $3,000 food budget for the weekend?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Poncier said:
    Years prior we have always gone with the "Disney Dining Plan". For basically $100 a day (give or take), one would get breakfast, lunch, dinner, including all beverages plus 2 snacks throughout all the parks (ice cream bars, dole whips etc). When I would do the math time and time again, the dining plan really didn't save us any big money, but it was nice to have everything paid months in advance. The only bonus of using the dining plan was that it basically gave us free beverages. 
     Since the dining plan hasn't been offered for a couple years, we plan on budgeting about $100-$125 per person, per day for food and beverages. 
    $20 Breakfast
    $20 Lunch
    $60 Dinner

When we get to the hotel on day 1, we pay $20 a person for a souvenir cup that we use at the hotel for unlimited coffee, water, soda. It's a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Is that overly expensive? For some I am sure it is ridiculously over priced. For others its not. 
    Do I like paying $5 for a 20oz. diet coke? Of course not! But its not going to make or break me. 
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    Have a wonderful time SPEEDY! 

Dole Whips for breakfast, every day :) 
    Nice shirt.
  • Options

My bride will be all over the dole whips.
    Myself? I'm looking forward to the escargot, scallops, and Mickey Bars. I don't know what it is about those Mickey Ice Cream Bars. Hahaha
  • Options

Myself? I'm looking forward to the escargot, scallops, and Mickey Bars. I don't know what it is about those Mickey Ice Cream Bars. Hahaha
    The secret ingredient is real mouse.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

• Options
    Poncier said:

• Options
    Escargot and Mickey Bars

Snails and Mouse Tails. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Poncier said:
    Years prior we have always gone with the "Disney Dining Plan". For basically $100 a day (give or take), one would get breakfast, lunch, dinner, including all beverages plus 2 snacks throughout all the parks (ice cream bars, dole whips etc). When I would do the math time and time again, the dining plan really didn't save us any big money, but it was nice to have everything paid months in advance. The only bonus of using the dining plan was that it basically gave us free beverages. 
     Since the dining plan hasn't been offered for a couple years, we plan on budgeting about $100-$125 per person, per day for food and beverages. 
    $20 Breakfast
    $20 Lunch
    $60 Dinner

When we get to the hotel on day 1, we pay $20 a person for a souvenir cup that we use at the hotel for unlimited coffee, water, soda. It's a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Is that overly expensive? For some I am sure it is ridiculously over priced. For others its not. 
    Do I like paying $5 for a 20oz. diet coke? Of course not! But its not going to make or break me. 
    I never heard of that. We lived about 40 minutes away growing up. My parents were frugal.  We’d always get a big breakfast on our way. Eat lunch like at 2 or 3:00, then have dinner when we leave the park. Don’t think we ever ordered a snack or soda, just got free cups of water throughout the day. I hated not having the funnel cakes or whatever back then, but That’s one reason they were able to retire young and and comfortable. Now as an adult I can’t even enjoy a funnel cake if I spend $15 on it.
    This was Disneyland and things were way different back then. You didn’t have to park 2 miles away and take a tram, just park right in front. The old Peking lot is now Disney California Adventure.
    Took my son to the carnival about 2 years ago. Even the kiddy rides were like $5 or $6 and required a paying adult. All the treats were $10+. I took him in 2 rides and got 1 treat  We did a fun house that took us about E minutes and one of those rides that goes in circles and barely goes up and down. Wee spent $40 or $50 in about 15 minutes. Crazy how expensive it was. I told him to enjoy it, we won’t be going back.
  • Options
    For 2 weeks I have looked at the weather forecast for Orlando. 
    Sunshine
    Abundant sunshine
    Plenty of sunshine
    Thats all I read for the entire week we will be there. 

Well we leave tomorrow morning.
    The new forecast?
    Rain
    Rain
    Rain
    Rain
    Fucking RAIN
    Lots of Rain

UGH!!!!!!!
  • Options
    But usually that's a quick hitting shower and the rest of the day is fine.
    Clouds are actually your friend in Disneyworld as long as they don't drop their water.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    But usually that's a quick hitting shower and the rest of the day is fine.
    Clouds are actually your friend in Disneyworld as long as they don't drop their water.
    Always crack up when it rains in Disney
    Folks run in to the stores, scoop up the $15 rain ponchos
    And Mickey pulls in a quick $1,000,000
  • Options
    Thise ponchos are such a rip off. (Could say that about just about everything they sell there)
  • Options
    Wow how am I just seeing this now? Love me some disney. Just came back from a trip myself sans wife and kids at the beginning of April. Did mk and hs only since I had a few days. Used my Florida resident discount for tickets. I even got some disney magic thanks to some cast members. They saw my celebrating button, we chatted for a bit and they gave my family a video shoutout during a nighttime performance and even gave me some free merch for my wife and kids. Being Canadian, I usually buy disney gift cards to help offset some of the costs whenever I can find a retailer offering a discount.