Baseball Hall Of Fame.....

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427

Are there really that many from the old guard still around? I thought most were in the younger crowd these days. Either way, get their asses out of voting for awards and who goes into the Hall.

Baseball writers ALL hold the HOF in a very high regard. It is the most heralded of all the sports HOF's so they take it seriously. Just look at past voting and how certain players weren't unanimously voted in. I mean who is the assholes that DIDN'T vote for Griffey Jr or the 6 jackwagons that didn't vote for Ryan and the list goes on.

I totally agree with you about the WAR phenomenon...
    If you don't vote for Griffey or Ryan, you should never be allowed to write so much as a text message to your child ever again.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,893
    mfc2006 said:

Wobbie said:

whoopee! two steroids guy make the hall.

you're missing a key word...alleged

we all know what's up....Bonds is alleged, too. right now, I figure they have already put in at least 4-5 steroid guys.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88 said:
    This is laughable.

I believe, without googling, there are 1000 runs and 2000 hits that separate them also.

So I can say Tim Wakefield has more wins than Koufax and he should be in the HOF too.

So we should see a lot more really good players get in, not great players.

• I think Raines is legitimate.

I agree with Larkin being a stretch. I also agree that if you were one of the voters that never voted for Griffey... you suck at doing things.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I didn't check the numbers, but I remember Larkin being a pretty elite player for quite a few years.

Raines was a really solid player for awhile, but I don't think he belongs. He was never the best anything in his entire career.

Pudge had solidified his spot with his defense long before 2005.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    DewieCox said:

I didn't check the numbers, but I remember Larkin being a pretty elite player for quite a few years.

Raines was a really solid player for awhile, but I don't think he belongs. He was never the best anything in his entire career.

Behold ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa2TFDmStzI
    nearly 10% of current MLBers have a "therapuetic use exemption" to take Adderral. go see what Aubrey Huff has to say about Adderral....

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    What hurt Raines and he said this. Is that he played for the Expos during his best years.
    I miss igotid88
  • Wobbie said:

mfc2006 said:

Wobbie said:

we all know what's up....Bonds is alleged, too. right now, I figure they have already put in at least 4-5 steroid guys.

Rob, I'm with you. The only actual evidence Bonds used was the failed sample test that Big Papi and a decent portion of MLB failed. Baseball told the players the test wouldn't be used against them which should include the HOF. Bonds was eventually acquitted of the only charge from his trial he was convicted of. Mind you that charge was for obstruction for not fully answering a question about his trainer and other players, nothing to do with him. There is technically no more evidence against him than any of the other guys suspected from that era other than a book written with illegally obtained court documents. I hate when baseball says he was a roid user but other guys like Piazza are suspected. We all know he did them. I am not denying that but he is still technically a suspected user when it comes to MLB and the HOF.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    As an Angels fan I'd love to see Vlad in soon but I honestly think Garrett Anderson should get in first.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760

As an Angels fan I'd love to see Vlad in soon but I honestly think Garrett Anderson should get in first.

Garret Anderson is not a Hall of Famer
    I miss igotid88
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

Whhhhhaaaaaaat?!?!?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    edited January 2017

Wobbie said:

mfc2006 said:

Wobbie said:

Rob, I'm with you. The only actual evidence Bonds used was the failed sample test that Big Papi and a decent portion of MLB failed. Baseball told the players the test wouldn't be used against them which should include the HOF. Bonds was eventually acquitted of the only charge from his trial he was convicted of. Mind you that charge was for obstruction for not fully answering a question about his trainer and other players, nothing to do with him. There is technically no more evidence against him than any of the other guys suspected from that era other than a book written with illegally obtained court documents. I hate when baseball says he was a roid user but other guys like Piazza are suspected. We all know he did them. I am not denying that but he is still technically a suspected user when it comes to MLB and the HOF.
    That sample test with the leaked names are also alleged. Leaked by a media member/outlet. NO ONE knows for sure who is on that list. So, to me anyway, is not actual evidence. I'm not gonna believe some person who says they have a "source" that says so-and-so was on that list. Not enough proof for me.

You can almost make a argument over every era of baseball for a player not to be in the HOF.

Pitchers like Cy Young & Old Hoss Radbourn , who pitched in the late 1800's, could pitch spit-balls, scuff the ball, and whatever else they could do with the ball and only played against white Americans. Old Hoss won 59 games one year and completed 73!! Cy Young won over 500 games!>You really think they could've done that now? Or even in the 20's-70's? Of course not, but ther in the HOF.

Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig, etc, and also only played against white Americans(yeah i know, that wasn't ther fault). Do they put up the stats that they did if they played against the best? Sucks, because we would never know how good they really were. And, ther in the HOF.

Players in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and probably up until recently used "greenies"/speed, and like Rob said, Adderal. I think Mays, Mantle & Arron said they did greenies, so do they put up the stats they did without using? Who knows, but ther in the HOF.

Do we know what players loaded ther bats, by corking, or sand-papering ther bats and pitchers that threw spitters/scuffed/vasoline balls? We don't of course. And trust me, some of those players are in the HOF. And, not just Gaylord Perry.

I actually think that a few players took some steroids as early as the 70's. I was in HS in the late 70's and we, my friends, knew about steroids. A guy i grew up with was in the Phillies organization in the early-mid 80's and he knew players were taking steroids then. And you know thers some players that are in the HOF who used.

Like i said, a argument can made for every era. It's baseball !! I HATE A-Rod, even before steroids, but the guy is a HOF. Just like Bonds, Clemens, etc.etc.

Post edited by cutz on
  • Great points regarding the era advantages.

Don't forget some pitchers even pitched on acid.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759

Great points regarding the era advantages.

HAHA>Yeah, that was Doc Ellis.
  • cutz said:

Bill "space man" lee too!!!
  • cutz said:

Wobbie said:

mfc2006 said:

Wobbie said:

That sample test with the leaked names are also alleged. Leaked by a media member/outlet. NO ONE knows for sure who is on that list. So, to me anyway, is not actual evidence. I'm not gonna believe some person who says they have a "source" that says so-and-so was on that list. Not enough proof for me.

You can almost make a argument over every era of baseball for a player not to be in the HOF.

Pitchers like Cy Young & Old Hoss Radbourn , who pitched in the late 1800's, could pitch spit-balls, scuff the ball, and whatever else they could do with the ball and only played against white Americans. Old Hoss won 59 games one year and completed 73!! Cy Young won over 500 games!>You really think they could've done that now? Or even in the 20's-70's? Of course not, but ther in the HOF.

Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig, etc, and also only played against white Americans(yeah i know, that wasn't ther fault). Do they put up the stats that they did if they played against the best? Sucks, because we would never know how good they really were. And, ther in the HOF.

Players in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and probably up until recently used "greenies"/speed, and like Rob said, Adderal. I think Mays, Mantle & Arron said they did greenies, so do they put up the stats they did without using? Who knows, but ther in the HOF.

Do we know what players loaded ther bats, by corking, or sand-papering ther bats and pitchers that threw spitters/scuffed/vasoline balls? We don't of course. And trust me, some of those players are in the HOF. And, not just Gaylord Perry.

I actually think that a few players took some steroids as early as the 70's. I was in HS in the late 70's and we, my friends, knew about steroids. A guy i grew up with was in the Phillies organization in the early-mid 80's and he knew players were taking steroids then. And you know thers some players that are in the HOF who used.

Like i said, a argument can made for every era. It's baseball !! I HATE A-Rod, even before steroids, but the guy is a HOF. Just like Bonds, Clemens, etc.etc.

Well said.

My argument to folks about amphetamines/ greenies, is the same as yours, there was an edge!

Bonds was the best pure hitter I've ever seen. He put fear in every pitcher and manager he faced. He belongs in the hall...
  • As an Angels fan I'd love to see Vlad in soon but I honestly think Garrett Anderson should get in first.

Being a halos fan myself I couldn't agree less.

He was a GREAT Angels player, along with Erstad but not a HOF!!!
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623

Someone who was in the top 5 in hits of all time among active players at the time in the late 00s like Jeter not HOF?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
  • cutz said:

Klausen did a silk screen poster commemorating Ellis' no-no on acid. I bought it. I don't have it up on a wall yet, but am looking forward to framing it one day.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    cutz said:

Wobbie said:

mfc2006 said:

Wobbie said:

:lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Garrett Anderson was a good, consistent player. A Hall of Famer he is not.
    “You just felt mentally invincible,” Huff said. “Think of Adderall like this: it’s a PED. You’ve got steroids, right? Everybody thinks steroids are the biggest PED going. I don’t believe that. Because what’s the biggest thing in baseball you need in order to be successful? Your mind, right?

“Steroids aren’t going to make your mind any stronger. But these Adderall things? My focus was laser sharp, the air was clean, it was crisp, every fan was like in 3-D. I mean everything around me … the ball looked bigger. Oh, I felt amazing!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

• As an Angels fan I'd love to see Vlad in soon but I honestly think Garrett Anderson should get in first.

Someone who was in the top 5 in hits of all time among active players at the time in the late 00s like Jeter not HOF?

Difference between Jeter and Anderson is about 700 hits. Jeter ended up with 3000 and Anderson fell a little short.

Again I loved GA and what he did for the Halos but he's not a HOFer.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,418

Wobbie said:

mfc2006 said:

Wobbie said:

how about his giant head? look at his body from the World Series with the Pirates to his body when with the Giants. He belongs in the hall but if you don't think he was doing PEDs pass that bong you must be hitting on a regular basis.
    My head is bigger now than it was when I was 25. Never taken steroids in my life.
  • pjhawks said:

Wobbie said:

mfc2006 said:

Wobbie said:

how about his giant head? look at his body from the World Series with the Pirates to his body when with the Giants. He belongs in the hall but if you don't think he was doing PEDs pass that bong you must be hitting on a regular basis.
    Look at Jeters melon. His head swelled up too.

I get a kick out of the "head" argument. My head has grown since my 20's too.
  • pjhawks said:

Wobbie said:

mfc2006 said:

Wobbie said:

You will notice the second to last sentence in my post was that we all know Barry used them. I have zero doubt he did. A court of law couldn't prove he used them despite as Rob mentioned 50 million spent to do it. Therefor as far as baseball is concerned he is a suspected user. Pudge was mentioned in a book as a steroid user yet he was first ballot. That book has also been proven to be pretty accurate. Baseball should keep them all out (which means zero players from the steroid era get in) or base their candidacy the same as everyone before them. Based on what they did on the field. Barry, Clemens and even Schilling are being held to a higher standard than everyone else before them which needs to stop. It is a museum of the greatest players ever and that is all.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Some guys just have big melons. XXL flexfit hats.

One of my buddies even grew a ridge on his forehead. We stand under it when it's too hot.