Baseball Hall Of Fame.....

14567810»

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

Not a big fan of slugging pct as a measure of power for the very reason igotid88 stated. And conversely, if you're a big guy that can't run as well, many a would-be double will still have you standing on 1B.

Better than fucking WAR, though..

Jason giambi had a career slugging percentage of .516 and he is slower than my 10 year old niece
    edited January 2017
    I like war a lot in general. You should hope all of your teams give out contracts based on it.

That said, casual fans should be able to look at the triple slash line and tell exactly what a hitter is
  • igotid88 said:

But if you're a speedster you can stretch singles into doubles and doubles into triples. And even get more infield singles. Thus making it seem you're hitting for power more than someone

Who cares how the extra bases are earned? Slugging percentage isn't necessarily used to measure the stereotypical big hitter... it's used to measure production. Whether Henderson stretches a gap single into a double... or Luzinski smashes a double off the center field wall... it's all the same with regards to the scorecard.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited January 2017

igotid88 said:

But if you're a speedster you can stretch singles into doubles and doubles into triples. And even get more infield singles. Thus making it seem you're hitting for power more than someone

Who cares how the extra bases are earned? Slugging percentage isn't necessarily used to measure the stereotypical big hitter... it's used to measure production. Whether Henderson stretches a gap single into a double... or Luzinski smashes a double off the center field wall... it's all the same with regards to the scorecard.
    Henderson is another perfect example of how stretching bases doesn't impact slugging. Career .419.

That double off the wall is going to happen a lot more than the single being stretched to a double. Also that double off the wall is a lot more likely to turn into a home run for the big hitter over the singles hitter.

Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427

igotid88 said:

Henderson is another perfect example of how stretching bases doesn't impact slugging. Career .419.

That double off the wall is going to happen a lot more than the single being stretched to a double. Also that double off the wall is a lot more likely to turn into a home run for the big hitter over the singles hitter.

All good points, really.
  • I like war a lot in general. You should hope all of your teams give out contracts based on it.

That said, casual fans should be able to look at the triple slash line and tell exactly what a hitter is

I've always been a fan of runs, walks and SB's. That person that gets on before the big hitter is a HUGE part of him getting those numbers.

I like war a lot in general. You should hope all of your teams give out contracts based on it.

WAR is only a theory, not a statistic. It's not even a unified theory as different sources use different methods of calculation. I have no problem using it to scout players and make decisions on signing them, but to base their contract from it alone is silly. To give awards and have it be the only metric you use is silly (see: any Jeff Passan article about Mike Trout).

Simply put, there is NO WAY you can measure a player and say "if we replaced Kris Bryant with Miguel Sano, the Cubs would lose 7 more games." You CAN'T do it.
  • I like war a lot in general. You should hope all of your teams give out contracts based on it.

WAR is only a theory, not a statistic. It's not even a unified theory as different sources use different methods of calculation. I have no problem using it to scout players and make decisions on signing them, but to base their contract from it alone is silly. To give awards and have it be the only metric you use is silly (see: any Jeff Passan article about Mike Trout).

Simply put, there is NO WAY you can measure a player and say "if we replaced Kris Bryant with Miguel Sano, the Cubs would lose 7 more games." You CAN'T do it.
    Despite not fully understanding the 'formula' to generate the statistic... I'm very skeptical of it as well. There are so many variables that are unaccounted for.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

It IS a formula that has been working. Watch Money Ball. Redsox, A's and Cubs have been models of this so far.

It IS a formula that has been working. Watch Money Ball. Redsox, A's and Cubs have been models of this so far.
    Oh yeah, like I mentioned, I don't mind it being used as a tool for scouting. But that's A tool, not THE tool. Plenty more has gone into what the Red Sox and Cubs have done than just WAR alone. Too many just think it's the end all, be all on how a player should be awarded/rewarded. WAR can't measure a player's attitude, teamsmanship, and work ethic.

Oh yeah, like I mentioned, I don't mind it being used as a tool for scouting. But that's A tool, not THE tool. Plenty more has gone into what the Red Sox and Cubs have done than just WAR alone. Too many just think it's the end all, be all on how a player should be awarded/rewarded. WAR can't measure a player's attitude, teamsmanship, and work ethic.
    True. Its a good formula for low money teams.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,891
    hey, frank thomas.....STFU and go back to your "legal testosterone" commercials.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16