I dont see it......

Good ballplayer???
Sure
Really good ballplayer???
Sure

Hall of Famer????

I dont see it....
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Compared to other shortstops already in the HOF he had a very very nice career, arguably the best.
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    DS1119 wrote:
    Compared to other shortstops already in the HOF he had a very very nice career, arguably the best.

Yes and he's the piece between Ozzie Smith and the Jeter/A-Rod/Nomar/Omar generation.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    The best???

Dont tell that to
    Banks
    Yount
    Wagner
    Ripken
    Smith

hehehehehehehehe
    DS1119 wrote:
    The best???

Dont tell that to
    Banks
    Yount
    Wagner
    Ripken
    Smith

hehehehehehehehe

I didn't say he was the best, but he's up there. Personally I think Phil RIzzuto was the best, since that's what my grandmother always told me :lol:! Larkin in my opinion deserves to be there.
  • Larkin was a top ss for 10 years. Always the leader as well.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Larkin's a good choice for the HOF.....

can't wait to head to Cooperstown when Biggio & Bagwell get inducted! :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Larkin was a top ss for 10 years. Always the leader as well.
    Mark Grace led the National League in hits for the same decade Larkin played.....

Mark Grace will NEVER see the Hall Of Fame....
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    The dude learned Spanish simply so he could communicate with his Hispanic teammates, he at least gets an A for effort on the leadership front. He's not somebody that off the top of my head I would have considered for the Hall of Fame, but he doesn't leave me scratching my head like I have over some past inductees.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Larkin was a top ss for 10 years. Always the leader as well.
    Mark Grace led the National League in hits for the same decade Larkin played.....

i could see Grace getting in there when he's older...classy guy & one helluva ballplayer.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:

i could see Grace getting in there when he's older...classy guy & one helluva ballplayer.
    Grace got something like 4% of the vote in 2009....
    And I am pretty sure will never be considered again......

The guy led the 90's in hits....
    Had more hits than any other player in the 90's....
    And will Never Ever Ever see the hall....

Barry Larkin is a Hall Of Famer and Fred Mcgriff isnt?????
    Barry Larkin is a Hall Of Famer and Lee Smith isnt????
    edited January 2012

Because Mark Grace was a first baseman. If he played shortstop and kept his offensive statistics he'd be in. Unfortunately singles hitters at the corner position aren't really that sexy a pick and he never truly dominated his era. I mean, he only made three all-star teams, never topped 200 hits in a season, never had over 100 RBIs in a season, and his single season high for homers was 17. Consistent, but no MVP's and not ever in the discussion for that. When you think of first baseman from the late 80's through the 90's, other than people in CHicago, not alot think of Mark Grace.
    Post edited by DS1119 on
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    He deserves it. I was surprised to hear this wasn't his first year of eligibility.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,418
    i thought Larkin was borderline. kind of surprised he made it. I think if Barry Larkin is a Hall-of-Famer then Jimmy Rollins should be right there.

and Jack Morris should have made it. that guy was a top pitcher for a while and a big game pitcher. don't care about the numbers.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    pjhawks wrote:
    i thought Larkin was borderline. kind of surprised he made it. I think if Barry Larkin is a Hall-of-Famer then Jimmy Rollins should be right there.

and Jack Morris should have made it. that guy was a top pitcher for a while and a big game pitcher. don't care about the numbers.

he was borderline....according to his vote count last year, but this years class was weak...and they wanted to put somebody in...that is alive.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    pjhawks wrote:

I don't get the hate on Larkin, he was one of the first shortstops that could hit, as someone else said. Prior to him, shortstops were of the Ozzie offensive numbers, after they are of the Jeter/Nomar/Arod.

Hilarious about Rollins. Larkin played for 19 seasons and had better numbers in his last year than Rollins has had in 3 years or so, granted Larkin has a few down years before that, but the point stands, you can't even compare the two.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    i think you're gonna see a lot of larkin type players get inducted bc they didnt cheat.
  • DS1119 wrote:

Because Mark Grace was a first baseman. If he played shortstop and kept his offensive statistics he'd be in. Unfortunately singles hitters at the corner position aren't really that sexy a pick and he never truly dominated his era. I mean, he only made three all-star teams, never topped 200 hits in a season, never had over 100 RBIs in a season, and his single season high for homers was 17. Consistent, but no MVP's and not ever in the discussion for that. When you think of first baseman from the late 80's through the 90's, other than people in CHicago, not alot think of Mark Grace.

This
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Grace was never good enough to be a Hall of Famer. He only even amde 3 All-Star teams so he was rarely one of the top 1B in the NL. I think he also only had 1 Top 5 finish in MVP voting, whereas Larkin actaully won the award. I never put much stock in the "Led the (insert decade) in _____" arguments because more often than not it ignores the fact that better players either started or ended their careers in the middle of that decade. For example, Kirby Puckett had to retire in 1995 and Derek Jeter was a rookie in 1996. Hits are even tougher for that type of category because it doesn't account for batting average or OBP. I'd be willing to bet that Frank Thomas was better than Grace in both categories during the 1990s, but Thomas walked so much that it would be virtually impossible for him to have as many hits.

Lee Smith retired with the all-time saves record, but he really had that record simply because he stuck around long enough to compile the numbers. He was rarely the best closer in the league--there were usually several closers who were better than him. He had a very high ERA for a closer in several seasons and wasn't the dominant force that guys like Rivera and Eckersley are/were. Saves are a bit of a misleading stat because even a mediocre closer can have 35-40 saves if he has a big enough lead when he enters the game. I wouldn't rank Smith as highly as Eckersley, Gossage, Fingers, Rivera, or Hoffman.

McGriff definitely belongs in the Hall. I find it ridiculous that voters can simultaneously refuse to vote for steroid users like McGwire (and I agree with them on that) and not vote for McGriff despite the fact that his career only seems less impressive than other players due to other players using steroids. If the strike hadn't shortened the 1994 and 1995 seasons, he'd have over 500 HRs and over 2,500 hits. Even as it stands, 493 HRs is extraordinary. He was in the Top 10 in MVP voting 6 times, led each league in HRs (the AL ni 1989, the NL in 1992) and was in the Top 10 in HRs 5 more times, and made the All-Star team 5 times (I'm not sure how it wasn't more other than there were some questionable "every team needs an All-Star" choices like Ron Coomer in 1999 and Tony Clark in 2001 and an odd choice of Canseco as a DH over McGriff at 1B as Tampa Bay's All-Star in 1999 despite McGriff's ability to play the field and his higher average and similar HR total). McGriff's numbers are very similar to Eddie Murray's. Murray hit 11 more HRs but needed over 500 more games to do it and their career averages are .287 (Murray) and .284 (McGriff). Murray did reach the 500 HR and 3,000 hit marks but their average 162-game season totals are eerily similar. McGriff's was .284/32/102 and Murray's was .287/27/103. McGriff had a higher SLG, OBP, and OPS, and more 100-RBI seasons.
    mfc2006 wrote:

Grace got something like 4% of the vote in 2009....
    And I am pretty sure will never be considered again......

The guy led the 90's in hits....
    Had more hits than any other player in the 90's....
    And will Never Ever Ever see the hall....

Barry Larkin is a Hall Of Famer and Fred Mcgriff isnt?????
    Barry Larkin is a Hall Of Famer and Lee Smith isnt????
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have always felt they need to redo the hall.

You need to honor people like Barry Larkin but you can't consider him a baseball legend. He was a great player

They should have multiple levels of the hall of fame and people should be inducted into their right group. Maybe 3 or 4 levels with the top one being names that when echoed you know you are talking about one of the greatest ever to play

I mean Babe Ruth and Barry Larkin are not even playing in the same ballpark.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:

You need to honor people like Barry Larkin but you can't consider him a baseball legend. He was a great player

They should have multiple levels of the hall of fame and people should be inducted into their right group. Maybe 3 or 4 levels with the top one being names that when echoed you know you are talking about one of the greatest ever to play

Hehe, not really many people that would be considered in the same ballpark as The Babe. (Hitting more homers than the team totals for the rest of the league? And boozing like a grade A champ all the while? He was epic!)

Lark would have had more gold gloves to add had everyone not insisted on honoring The Wizard of Oz well past his prime. Same thing for All Star Starts.
  • Grace led the decade of the 90's in hits...

Who were the BIG 1st Baseman of the decade....

Palmiero and Mccguire???

Steroid freaks who will NEVER see the Hall Of Fame....

Grace deserves it more than those 2...... Right????

And trust me...
    I know Grace isnt a Hall of Fame player....
    And either is Larkin....

Just my opinion....
    intodeep wrote:

Hehe, not really many people that would be considered in the same ballpark as The Babe. (Hitting more homers than the team totals for the rest of the league? And boozing like a grade A champ all the while? He was epic!)

Lark would have had more gold gloves to add had everyone not insisted on honoring The Wizard of Oz well past his prime. Same thing for All Star Starts.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofmem4.shtml

just look at the % of votes recieved. you have the 90%'s, the 80%'s and the people that sneaked in with 75%-79.9%
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Grace led the decade of the 90's in hits...

Palmiero and Mccguire???

And trust me...
    And either is Larkin....

Just my opinion....

sid bream.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • intodeep wrote:
    I mean Babe Ruth and every other baseball player are not even playing in the same ballpark.

Look at Babe's stats. They hold up with the steroid era players. Then compare him vs. his contemporaries. He was futher ahead of his era than Gretzky or Jordan. The only one that probably comes close is Tiger. Scary. So, I guess you would have another level just for Babe Ruth.

It's a museum. I never understood getting the least bit upset about this stuff. Skip his plaque next time you're there. Believe me, there are a ton of guys you've never heard of in there.

Larkin deserves to be in. He would be a top SS in any era. That's a good criteria to go by.

Don't compare a slap hitting 1B to a (relatively) power/speed/fielding SS.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    Lee Smith retired with the all-time saves record, but he really had that record simply because he stuck around long enough to compile the numbers. He was rarely the best closer in the league--there were usually several closers who were better than him. He had a very high ERA for a closer in several seasons and wasn't the dominant force that guys like Rivera and Eckersley are/were. Saves are a bit of a misleading stat because even a mediocre closer can have 35-40 saves if he has a big enough lead when he enters the game. I wouldn't rank Smith as highly as Eckersley, Gossage, Fingers, Rivera, or Hoffman.

I dunno if he was ever the best, but he broke the saves record after only 13 season. Maybe he compiled after, but he averaged 30 saves a season for 8 years and later 45 for 4 years around the time he broke the record. Only had a whip above 1.4 4x, 2 being his last 2 years.

You mention Eckersley, but he's notorious for gettin easy saves.

Palmiero and Mccguire???

And trust me...
    And either is Larkin....

Just my opinion....

Frank Thomas

More, than Mcgwire? Get outta here

Grace was a very good player, but never one of the best.

Larkin was the perfect transition from SS's like Ozzie to guys like Arod. He was the best SS in the NL for a good while. Not anybody can stop the Wizard's streak of Allstar starts and Gold Gloves.
    Even taking away McGwire and Palmiero, you still have guyslike Frank Thomas and Fred McGriff who were both much better than Grace, plus guys like Will Clark and Don Mattingly who were better than Grace (but to a lesser extent than the other 2).

Palmiero and Mccguire???

And trust me...
    And either is Larkin....

Just my opinion....
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,418
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

I don't get the hate on Larkin, he was one of the first shortstops that could hit, as someone else said. Prior to him, shortstops were of the Ozzie offensive numbers, after they are of the Jeter/Nomar/Arod.

Hilarious about Rollins. Larkin played for 19 seasons and had better numbers in his last year than Rollins has had in 3 years or so, granted Larkin has a few down years before that, but the point stands, you can't even compare the two.

CSN Philly does the comparison today. If he stays healthty Rollins will end up with better numbers in almost every category than Larkin except batting average. see below.

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/phillies- ... feedID=704
    Even if you acknowledge Eckersley's easy saves, he was still much more dominant than Smith ever was. Look at his ERA each year from 1987-1992: 3.03, 2.35, 1.56, 0.61, 2.96, 1.91. Eckersley never had a WHIP at 1.4 or higher as a closer and had 5 straight season with a WHIP under 1. Smith never had a WHIP below 1 in any season. Smith had an ERA over 3.00 9 times as a closer in 14 seasons between 1982 and 1995 and only 1 season below 2.00 in his career--Eckersley had an ERA under 2.00 3 times in 4 seasons. Smith may have been collecting saves in those seasons when his ERA was over 3.00, but what makes him better than John Wetteland? Smith had an 82% Save% compared to Wetteland's 84%. Smith's ERA was 3.03, Wetteland's 2.93. Smith's career WHIP was 1.256, Wetteland's 1.135 (with 3 seasons under 1.0 compared to none for Smith). Wetteland had a better K/9 (9.5 to 8.7), BB/9 (3.0 to 3.4), and K/BB (3.19 to 2.57). Both had 1 full season as a closer with a Save% of 90% or better (although Smith did have a partial season as a closer with a 94% rate in 18 chances). Wettlenad also had 7 straight seasons with an ERA under 3.00. Smith didn't even have that many full seasons with an ERA under 3.00 in his entire career. The biggest difference is that Smith stuck around long enough to add about 150 more Saves than Wetteland and Wetteland retired at 33 at got less than 1% of the vote his only year on the Hall ofFame ballot.

Yes, Smith passed Rollie Fingers fairly early in his career but he also pitched in an era when saves were emphasized more than they were when guys like Fingers and Gossage pitched. 300 saves was unheard of before Fingers. Fingers and Gossage both pitched earlier in games when needed. Fingers recorded more than 3 outs 509 times as a reliever but Smith only did it 362 times in over 100 more games as a reliever. Fingers also entered a game with the bases empty only 431 times compared to Smith's 699 times, Fingers entered a game with runners on base 476 times compared to Smith's 318. The workload they carried was so different and the emphasis on Saves as a statistic and the closer as a 9th-inning specialist was so much greater in Smith's era that it's not a simple comparison between the record Fingers set and the record Smith set.
    DewieCox wrote:

I dunno if he was ever the best, but he broke the saves record after only 13 season. Maybe he compiled after, but he averaged 30 saves a season for 8 years and later 45 for 4 years around the time he broke the record. Only had a whip above 1.4 4x, 2 being his last 2 years.

You mention Eckersley, but he's notorious for gettin easy saves.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,891
    Davidtrios wrote:
    i think you're gonna see a lot of larkin type players get inducted bc they didnt cheat.

this is true.

thing is, we don't know that larkin didn't cheat.

just let bonds, clemens, etc. in....after all, there's no arguing they were the best. juiced hitters vs. juiced pitchers. what's the big deal?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16