Baseball Hall Of Fame.....

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,891
    pjhawks said:

Wobbie said:

mfc2006 said:

Wobbie said:

whoopee! two steroids guy make the hall.

you're missing a key word...alleged

we all know what's up....Bonds is alleged, too. right now, I figure they have already put in at least 4-5 steroid guys.

Rob, I'm with you. The only actual evidence Bonds used was the failed sample test that Big Papi and a decent portion of MLB failed. Baseball told the players the test wouldn't be used against them which should include the HOF. Bonds was eventually acquitted of the only charge from his trial he was convicted of. Mind you that charge was for obstruction for not fully answering a question about his trainer and other players, nothing to do with him. There is technically no more evidence against him than any of the other guys suspected from that era other than a book written with illegally obtained court documents. I hate when baseball says he was a roid user but other guys like Piazza are suspected. We all know he did them. I am not denying that but he is still technically a suspected user when it comes to MLB and the HOF.
    how about his giant head? look at his body from the World Series with the Pirates to his body when with the Giants. He belongs in the hall but if you don't think he was doing PEDs pass that bong you must be hitting on a regular basis.
    I've never said Barry didn't take roids. I just feel like pudge, bagwell, piazza, henderson and god-knows-who-else probably did, as well. In fact, bagwell is probably more of a "steroid guy" than Bonds in that steroids played a bigger role in him becoming a HOFer....and, as I've said many times. the "we know he DIDN"T take PED's" is no more valid than "we know he DID." I'm waiting for one of these guys to man up and drop a bombshell in his HOF acceptance speech.

I wouldn't doubt Griffey at least tried them....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,418
    Wobbie said:

pjhawks said:

Wobbie said:

mfc2006 said:

Wobbie said:

whoopee! two steroids guy make the hall.

you're missing a key word...alleged

we all know what's up....Bonds is alleged, too. right now, I figure they have already put in at least 4-5 steroid guys.

Rob, I'm with you. The only actual evidence Bonds used was the failed sample test that Big Papi and a decent portion of MLB failed. Baseball told the players the test wouldn't be used against them which should include the HOF. Bonds was eventually acquitted of the only charge from his trial he was convicted of. Mind you that charge was for obstruction for not fully answering a question about his trainer and other players, nothing to do with him. There is technically no more evidence against him than any of the other guys suspected from that era other than a book written with illegally obtained court documents. I hate when baseball says he was a roid user but other guys like Piazza are suspected. We all know he did them. I am not denying that but he is still technically a suspected user when it comes to MLB and the HOF.
    how about his giant head? look at his body from the World Series with the Pirates to his body when with the Giants. He belongs in the hall but if you don't think he was doing PEDs pass that bong you must be hitting on a regular basis.
    I've never said Barry didn't take roids. I just feel like pudge, bagwell, piazza, henderson and god-knows-who-else probably did, as well. In fact, bagwell is probably more of a "steroid guy" than Bonds in that steroids played a bigger role in him becoming a HOFer....and, as I've said many times. the "we know he DIDN"T take PED's" is no more valid than "we know he DID." I'm waiting for one of these guys to man up and drop a bombshell in his HOF acceptance speech.

I wouldn't doubt Griffey at least tried them....
    agree. probably not even 10% of players in the 1990s didn't use Peds. it was just the norm of the day. the Hall has become a joke
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Question: If you were to start a brand new Baseball Hall of Fame, who would you elect as the first member?

Me: I'd probably have to go with Al Spalding.
  • Question: If you were to start a brand new Baseball Hall of Fame, who would you elect as the first member?

I'd place the original 5 in.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,891

Question: If you were to start a brand new Baseball Hall of Fame, who would you elect as the first member?

you already know my answer.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    The inaugural class of the AET Baseball Hall of Fame (so far):

Albert Spalding
    Ty Cobb
    Babe Ruth
    Honus Wagner
    Christy Mathewson
    Walter Johnson
    Barry Bonds

Albert Spalding
    Ty Cobb
    Babe Ruth
    Honus Wagner
    Christy Mathewson
    Walter Johnson
    Barry Bonds

Cy Young
    Hank Aaron
    Pete Rose
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    pjhawks said:

Albert Spalding
    Ty Cobb
    Babe Ruth
    Honus Wagner
    Christy Mathewson
    Walter Johnson
    Barry Bonds

Cy Young
    Hank Aaron
    Pete Rose
    Willie mays
    Mickey mantle
    Joe DiMaggio
    Ted Williams.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Randy Johnson.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Stan the Man
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    Old Hoss Radbourn :

I always laugh my ass off looking at his stats. Same with Al Spalding.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/radboch01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/spaldal01.shtml

I think Al's arm must've fell off and that's why he only pitched 6 full seasons, and just couldn't pitch anymore. But, he did have a down year in his 6th season>HAHAHAHA
  • To add a few:

Jackie Robinson.
    Johnny Bench (my all time favourite).
    Rogers Hornsby.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited January 2017
    cutz said:

Old Hoss Radbourn :

I always laugh my ass off looking at his stats. Same with Al Spalding.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/radboch01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/spaldal01.shtml

I think Al's arm must've fell off and that's why he only pitched 6 full seasons, and just couldn't pitch anymore. But, he did have a down year in his 6th season>HAHAHAHA

Those 19th century stats are always fun to look at. Imagine a pitcher today with 300 wins and a career .313 average. Here we are thinking Bumgarner, Arrieta, & Syndergaard can rake!
  • Question: If you were to start a brand new Baseball Hall of Fame, who would you elect as the first member?

Ricky Henderson on a good team by far the most effective player in history.

Ricky agrees that Ricky was the best lead off hitter of all time.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I'm going to be really glad when there's nothing left to say about juicing. :anguished:

And anybody who doesn't think Pudge belongs in the HOF can kiss my ass.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    pjhawks said:

Ricky agrees that Ricky was the best lead off hitter of all time.
    :lol:

MOST effective
    By FAR
    In HISTORY

I don't know about all that, but he was damn good & exciting to watch and definitely Hall worthy.

MOST effective
    By FAR
    In HISTORY

I don't know about all that, but he was damn good & exciting to watch and definitely Hall worthy.
    What's his WAR?!? lol
    I played baseball into college (D3) until my shoulder gave out and have coached for 12 years. One thing I still don't understand is slugging percentage! What the hell is it? Someone please explain it me.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    mcgruff10 said:

I played baseball into college (D3) until my shoulder gave out and have coached for 12 years. One thing I still don't understand is slugging percentage! What the hell is it? Someone please explain it me.

A single is 1.000. a double is 2.000 triple 3 hr 4
    I miss igotid88
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Total bases divided by at bats. The more bases you have per at bat the more power you have.
  • Total bases divided by at bats. The more bases you have per at bat the more power you have.

Rod Carew high batting average. Not fantastic slugging.

A homerun and a single count the same in batting average. Not the same in slugging.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited January 2017

Total bases divided by at bats. The more bases you have per at bat the more power you have.

Rod Carew high batting average. Not fantastic slugging.

A homerun and a single count the same in batting average. Not the same in slugging.
    Exactly. High OBP too. Great hitter, not a ton of power.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    But if you're a speedster you can stretch singles into doubles and doubles into triples. And even get more infield singles. Thus making it seem you're hitting for power more than someone
    I miss igotid88

MOST effective
    By FAR
    In HISTORY

What's his WAR?!? lol
    :rofl:
    igotid88 said:

But if you're a speedster you can stretch singles into doubles and doubles into triples. And even get more infield singles. Thus making it seem you're hitting for power more than someone

Great point right there.
    Not a big fan of slugging pct as a measure of power for the very reason igotid88 stated. And conversely, if you're a big guy that can't run as well, many a would-be double will still have you standing on 1B.

Better than fucking WAR, though..
  • Not a big fan of slugging pct as a measure of power for the very reason igotid88 stated. And conversely, if you're a big guy that can't run as well, many a would-be double will still have you standing on 1B.

Better than fucking WAR, though..

WAR! Good god! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing, I'll say it again now!
    edited January 2017
    igotid88 said:

That is not sustainable over a career. A half a dozen singles stretched into doubles a season is not going to have that much of an impact on slugging percentage. A base here or there does not really impact slugging, that's kind of the point of it