Show me people running a charity......

Comments

• Every day, I'm getting three 866- and 877- calls without the name listed on caller ID. I answered today and it is a RICH televangelist. I googled the numbers and his staff is using over 5 numbers to get you even if you block several.

When I donate $ to charity, why do they bombard me via the us mail once to twice/wk asking for more? Multiply that by 10 b/c they are giving out my name and that is alot of paper. I thought we are into conservation? It's sad, as much as I'd love to save the world; I can't!
  • TS96221 wrote:
    Every day, I'm getting three 866- and 877- calls without the name listed on caller ID. I answered today and it is a RICH televangelist. I googled the numbers and his staff is using over 5 numbers to get you even if you block several.

When I donate $ to charity, why do they bombard me via the us mail once to twice/wk asking for more? Multiply that by 10 b/c they are giving out my name and that is alot of paper. I thought we are into conservation? It's sad, as much as I'd love to save the world; I can't!
    I agree, a lot of the nature conservancy charities are guilty of this. I don't want a tote bag/blanket/calendar/wolf doll...put that money towards the charity itself!
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    If you want to donate to a charity that's totally legit, check out Global Health Partnerships! www.ghp-USA.org

99.9% of the money they raise goes to direct public health services for people in rural Kenya. They spend a measly amount of money on website hosting, but everyone involved volunteers their time & even pays 100% of their own expenses incurred by volunteering. If they sell calendars or something to raise money, someone from the Board even pitches in his/her own money to pay for the calendars to be made & 100% of the proceeds go to the organization.
  • TS96221 wrote:
    Every day, I'm getting three 866- and 877- calls without the name listed on caller ID. I answered today and it is a RICH televangelist. I googled the numbers and his staff is using over 5 numbers to get you even if you block several.

I agree, a lot of the nature conservancy charities are guilty of this. I don't want a tote bag/blanket/calendar/wolf doll...put that money towards the charity itself!

Yes!!!!!

I stopped opening the "gifts" from one particular charity and I wrote "return to sender" in red on several of them. They continued to mail me pleas. I wrote them a note on the pledge part to delete my name, I am no longer donating to them 2-3x. I still received a Christmas "gift" from them with a letter wanting more $.
    They need to stop using all this energy and ink!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,236
    I don't think the OP was pointing this towards WF was he ? ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I don't think the OP was pointing this towards WF was he ? ...
    Nope. Towards ds119 aka RF
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I don't think the OP was pointing this towards WF was he ? ...
    Nope. Towards ds119 aka RF

There's three 1's in my screen name you blind RF.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I donate to the most corrupt charity of them all...called government...not voluntarily though...hehehe. For the most part I think most charities are corrupt.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    That Homes for Humanity gotta be on the up and up right?
  • A well deserved and needed BUMP!!!!!

Wake up people!!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Did a little research on a recent subject in AMT ...

the distribution of money of this organization was proportionally lopsided
    this towards "administrative costs" and "fundraising" with vey small amounts actually
    going to what the public would think was being funded....
    their programs that the money was given for.

I guess something is better than nothing but....
  • Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,823
    Davidtrios wrote:
    ive seen it myself. i know of someone who runs a very popular charity around here who flaunts all the shit theyre buying on facebook. I.e. getting new kitchens, travelling to south america and soon europe. it can be a VERY corrupt business

As someone you are friends with on Facebook, who happens to be one of the people who are in charge of a very popular charity around here called Wishlist Foundation, who has posted a photos of the the new kitchen upgrades that I recently have done to show my friends how the new decor looks, but who hasn't traveled to South America and isn't traveling to Europe, though I'm certainly considering it..... I felt like perhaps I may need to address this comment.

Since, and of course I could be wrong, it seems you are calling me corrupt and you lack the guts to actually address me, I thought I'd answer you directly in case you were talking about me, because I have nothing to hide and am beyond proud of all that Wishlist Foundation has accomplished.

The Wishlist Foundation is a 501(c)(3) federally recognized nonprofit organization. Our federal tax ID # is 20-5497732. This means we can provide tax receipts for your donations. Feel free to look us up at http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/. We're also listed on the other charitable web sites like GuideStar.

No volunteer involved in the Wishlist Foundation has ever earned one cent from our fundraising efforts. It is 100% volunteer.

To address you David - I, personally, have never earned any money from Wishlist. I am fortunate enough to have/had a successful career and a financial situation that allows me freedom to upgrade my kitchen, travel for a band I love and more. I am absolutely not going to apologize for my successes in life.

Volunteering at Wishlist Foundation is not a paid job. No one earns a salary, though many of us should based on the hours we have all put into running the organization. But that's not why we are doing it. Volunteers who spend their own personal money on raffle tickets and things like that are reimbursed, as they should be.

Donors who donate receive a tax receipt. Have we missed one or two in the 5+ years of doing this? I'm positive we have. It's called human error. If you didn't get a tax receipt and you should have, please email <!-- e --><a href="mailto:info@wishlistfoundation.org">info@wishlistfoundation.org</a><!-- e --> with your contact information, what you donated and the approximate date/location. We'll be happy to send you one and I apologize for not getting it to you when we should have.

As far as this below:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    and access to prime tix.

Prime tix? A lot of the volunteers have been in the fan club since the 1990's. It's called fan club seniority.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    This is wrong, but don't stereotype all charities because of a few bad apples. Many organizers get paid squat but are in the work for the right reasons.

Jeanwah is right... you're stereotyping all charities because of a few bad ones. This is what is most disturbing of all. Because of the ignorance and blanket negativity, you could be influencing people to NOT donate to really worthy organizations that so desperately need the money. We've worked with many small local organizations where the money that this awesome fan community has raised has made HUGE positive impacts on.

Everyone that I've met who's volunteered for Wishlist has had beautiful and amazing stories of why they like to volunteer. Because of personal tragedies in their lives where they wanted to give back, because of the feeling of happiness to be able to pay it forward, because of the friendships that have grown from the experience and more. I have my own story. If you want to know, don't assume. Just ask.
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Search Results
    Your search criteria (click to remove):
    Keywords: wishlist foundation
    0 charities matched your search criteria.

Sorry you are having search issues, Davidtrios, but here's the link that you are having trouble finding:

http://www2.guidestar.org/organizations ... ation.aspx
    Actually there is no way to find out. It's 2 peoples word and that's it. A license # don't say nothing about anything on where any money goes. Just sayin.

Incorrect. You have to apply for a federal tax ID number and there are very strict rules about how the organization is run and how/where the money goes. Additionally, it's more than just 2 peoples words, Jamie. There is a Wishlist board of directors, there are hundreds of volunteers, there is a business bank account with cashed checks by over 50 different other nonprofit organizations, there's the thank you letters and receipts from those beneficiaries, all that we have on file; there are our federal IRS tax records and our books. Want to see them? Email <!-- e --><a href="mailto:info@wishlistfoundation.org">info@wishlistfoundation.org</a><!-- e --> and we'll send them to you. We will be updating the website in the next month with the past year(s) information after we meet with the CPA next month. Even further... Pearl Jam and the Ten Club allow us to continue to exist here based on our history, honesty, integrity and legitimacy.

We donate 100% of the raffle money to the beneficiaries. We donate all of the profit from merchandise we make, and only retain the money it cost to make those items as an expense. Other only other expenses are our CPA/accountant every year, because of the strict federal tax rules, insurance policies, shipping costs and other super minimal random expenses that may come up (raffle tickets, eBay fees, PayPal fees).

Want to learn more about 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations? Go here: http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/index.html

Have more questions? Please feel free to post them here and I'll be happy to answer them.
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    Have more questions? Please feel free to post them here and I'll be happy to answer them.

why is wishlist's website owned by an Inc.?

Domain ID:D124567174-LROR
    Domain Name:WISHLISTFOUNDATION.ORG
    Created On:14-Jun-2006 18:19:50 UTC
    Last Updated On:25-Sep-2011 09:18:37 UTC
    Expiration Date:14-Jun-2012 18:19:50 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:Network Solutions LLC (R63-LROR)
    Registrant ID:25898151-NSI
    Registrant Name:Mystikal Technologies, Inc.
    Registrant Organization:Mystikal Technologies, Inc.
    Registrant Street1:P.O. Box 3868
    Registrant Street2:
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:Naperville
    Registrant State/Province:IL
    Registrant Postal Code:60567
    Registrant Country:US
    Registrant Phone:+1.6302698397
    Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:
    Admin ID:16623155-NSI
    Admin Name:Mystikal Technologies, Inc.
    Admin Organization:Mystikal Technologies, Inc.
    Admin Street1:P.O. Box 3868
    Admin Street2:
    Admin Street3:
    Admin City:Naperville
    Admin State/Province:IL
    Admin Postal Code:60567
    Admin Country:US
    Admin Phone:+1.6302698397
    Admin Phone Ext.:
    Admin FAX:+1.6302698397
    Admin FAX Ext.:
    Admin Email:
    Tech ID:16623155-NSI
    Tech Name:Mystikal Technologies, Inc.
    Tech Organization:Mystikal Technologies, Inc.
    Tech Street1:P.O. Box 3868
    Tech Street2:
    Tech Street3:
    Tech City:Naperville
    Tech State/Province:IL
    Tech Postal Code:60567
    Tech Country:US
    Tech Phone:+1.6302698397
    Tech Phone Ext.:
    Tech FAX:+1.6302698397
    Tech FAX Ext.:
    Tech Email:
    Name Server:NS1.SECURE.NET
    Name Server:NS2.SECURE.NET
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    Name Server:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Foxy Mop wrote:

why is wishlist's website owned by an Inc.?

Domain ID:D124567174-LROR
    Domain Name:WISHLISTFOUNDATION.ORG
    Created On:14-Jun-2006 18:19:50 UTC
    Last Updated On:25-Sep-2011 09:18:37 UTC
    Expiration Date:14-Jun-2012 18:19:50 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:Network Solutions LLC (R63-LROR)
    Registrant ID:25898151-NSI
    Registrant Name:Mystikal Technologies, Inc.
    Registrant Organization:Mystikal Technologies, Inc.
    Registrant Street1:P.O. Box 3868
    Registrant Street2:
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:Naperville
    Registrant State/Province:IL
    Registrant Postal Code:60567
    Registrant Country:US
    Registrant Phone:+1.6302698397
    Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:
    Admin ID:16623155-NSI
    Admin Name:Mystikal Technologies, Inc.
    Admin Organization:Mystikal Technologies, Inc.
    Admin Street1:P.O. Box 3868
    Admin Street2:
    Admin Street3:
    Admin City:Naperville
    Admin State/Province:IL
    Admin Postal Code:60567
    Admin Country:US
    Admin Phone:+1.6302698397
    Admin Phone Ext.:
    Admin FAX:+1.6302698397
    Admin FAX Ext.:
    Admin Email:
    Tech ID:16623155-NSI
    Tech Name:Mystikal Technologies, Inc.
    Tech Organization:Mystikal Technologies, Inc.
    Tech Street1:P.O. Box 3868
    Tech Street2:
    Tech Street3:
    Tech City:Naperville
    Tech State/Province:IL
    Tech Postal Code:60567
    Tech Country:US
    Tech Phone:+1.6302698397
    Tech Phone Ext.:
    Tech FAX:+1.6302698397
    Tech FAX Ext.:
    Tech Email:
    Name Server:NS1.SECURE.NET
    Name Server:NS2.SECURE.NET

The organization isn't owned by Mystikal Technologies, though the domain name is registered under it. Wishlist Foundation is a registered business in Illinois.

When I originally got the domain name back in 2006, I used my old company's domain registration partner account login (Mystikal Technologies) to register the domain name because it gave us a discount off the registration fee.

Thanks for pointing it out, and you're right, that could cause confusion. I'll make sure we have that taken care of to avoid future confusion.
    Wishlist Foundation

♥♥♥
    Trinity Broadcasting Network

Paul F. Crouch Sr. President, Director CEO $419,500
    Janice Crouch Vice President,Director Relative of the CEO $361,000
    Paul Crouch Vice President,Director Relative of the CEO $214,137
    Ruth Brown Secretary, Treasurer Relative of the CEO $98,780

http://www.charitynavigator.org/__asset ... _Final.pdf

it's a family affair. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    81 wrote:

wait a minute, are salaries of charity workers public knowledge?
    Davidtrios wrote:
    81 wrote:

wait a minute, are salaries of charity workers public knowledge?

some are

http://www.charitywatch.org/hottopics/Top25.html
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    My 2₵
    I've organized and helped out at a bunch of fundraisers. After the party is over, the organizers and helpers count the money. We then get a cashiers check and mail it to Wishlist with who the $ goes to. Wishlist write the check/checks out to the beneficiaries, then emails the organizer and beneficiary with the fundraiser info, how much was raised and the amount they are receiving. It shows the full amount and states the amount retained to cover costs which are only the cost of things that are made(t-shirts, etc.)

So I don't see how any one can think that any volunteer is making any $ off WF. I certainly don't :mrgreen: I bust my butt and spend a lot of my own $, but I do it because I love to. And also there is no other way I could donate to places that have personally affected me. One of my twins died when she was 3 due to complications of twin to twin transfusion syndrome, twice I have done fundraisers for TTTS Foundation. I've raised around $5000 for them. There is no other way I could have done that.
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • We obviously have a bunch of: Smart, and logical people posting on this forum.

Don't EVER question what people at Wishlist do with the money raised. I haven't been a part of it since it started, but from the times I have been at a charity event I can confidently say, I know where the money is going.

These people BUST THEIR ASSES to spread the word. Don't be jealous because you wish you were so passionate about helping others. Try it one day, it feels good.

Not everyone in life is an asshole. Open your mind. I can't believe the people in this thread questioning the integrity of my favorite charity.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

Don't EVER question what people at Wishlist do with the money raised.

that makes sense. :lol:
  • Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    edited January 2012
    Davidtrios wrote:

It's called having trust in your friends. Maybe you should try and believe in the human race.

I don't question them one bit because I choose to hold out faith that they will do right by everyone.
    Post edited by Jeremys Spoken on
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

Davidtrios wrote:

It's called having trust in your friends. Maybe you should try and believe in the human race.

I don't question them one bit because I choose to believe it.

hey we have the same avatar. sweet.
  • mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    I think most people don't realize how much work it is to organize a fundraiser, and I'll start by saying don't let this turn you off of wanting to do one, yes it's tons of work, but it will be the time of your life. Going to the show after is just a bonus!

We've already started working on the Tulsa party. Do we even know if we'll get tickets, no. Do we care, not really, we have faith that it will all work out.

We have to find a place willing to let us have the party. One that is close to the venue and will allow all ages. A place that serves food and drinks.

We have to get donations in.

The volunteers purchase all the items needed. We make signs, buy raffle tickets, name tags, pens, tape, little things that add up.

We get there early to set up. We have to break down the party after and hope we can get to the show on time.

Sometimes we don't get a chance to eat during a party.

It really is a lot of work. It doesn't all just fall into place at the last minute. But is very rewarding, and so much fun!
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    What the hell is going on here? Are you people high as fuck? Targeting Wishlist with your ignorant bullshit? This is unbelievable. Complete idiots...
  • Oh, by the way, I wonder how your going to flaunt the $1,200 bucks after no one buys your Celtics and Bulls tickets.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    A well deserved and needed BUMP!!!!!

Wake up people!!!!!!!

No... Actually this looks likes a bunch of uninformed idiots running their mouths...
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Wow... I think there's a lot of misinformation and ignorance when it comes to a certain charity here. I would think that before accusing of corruption or anything untoward, one should really be certain of their claim.

Sure, there are some charities who only give a small proportion of their 'income' to good causes, but a LOT give the maximum they can. Also, there is nothing against charities having paid staff. A good CEO (who may be paid a good salary) can generate lots of funds for the charity and good causes. I guess most larger charities will have paid management with a big number of volunteers.

Let's not sully the name of anyone here for the sake of doing it.
    Guys... please don't flame each other. This doesn't need to go there.

The whole point of starting Wishlist back in the day was to unify the fan community and try to make whatever small differences in the world that we can... "with my two hands I can change the world"

Please be civil and polite. This thread will end up getting locked and important, VALID, FACTUAL information won't have a chance to get out there.
    Wishlist Foundation

♥♥♥
  • And it's childish to say "someone to not be named" if you're going to talk shit, be a man about it.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

Oh, by the way, I wonder how your going to flaunt the $1,200 bucks after no one buys your Celtics and Bulls tickets.

update: someone is def. buying the bulls/heat tix.
    and, i have a job that allows me to purchase such luxuries.
This discussion has been closed.