Show me people running a charity......

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,704
    Lizard wrote:
    this thread is kinda depressing...

And I am with you Chiqui
    must be doing something wrong.
    8-)

It is a little sad. I know the charity I'm helping out seems to be on the straight and narrow, it was created in honor of a young student who had passed away. There are lots of non-profits that run like a corporation though. But perhaps that's where working with a small outfit works best? Who knows, there's corruption everywhere, but there's also grace.

"But perhaps that's where working with a small outfit works best?"

That's a great idea, Chiquimonkey (and since we're talking about charity, a positive one which is what giving is all about). I belong to an organization called "The American River Conservancy" which is about as local as you can get. We do a lot of work to preserve land around an important river that runs through our area. There's no greed involved what-so-ever. Every place and every community has its needs. Rather than just slam all charities outright, it makes more sense to get involved in something good.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 7RayZ7RayZ Posts: 488
    Some of the best charities are the ones who people who pulled together on a shoestring or no budget. Donate time and energy in causes they believe in because of passion or conviction.
  • brianlux wrote:

That's a great idea, Chiquimonkey (and since we're talking about charity, a positive one which is what giving is all about). I belong to an organization called "The American River Conservancy" which is about as local as you can get. We do a lot of work to preserve land around an important river that runs through our area. There's no greed involved what-so-ever. Every place and every community has its needs. Rather than just slam all charities outright, it makes more sense to get involved in something good.

It must feel satisfying too because you're seeing a direct effect on a personal level.

That said, whenever there's a crisis like tsumanis or earthquakes, always gotta help and larger organizations seem to be an effective vehicle for it.

But even individuals can do something. Like the Japan earthquake...there was a seller on Etsy making some beautiful bracelets, all proceeds going to Japan:

il_570xN.232689090.jpg
    Her shop is http://www.etsy.com/shop/uppermetalclas ... eller_info (feel I should give her props :) ). It is a piece I love having.

It's just like with anything, there are people that outright break your heart, but you don't give up on love altogether (I may have on that point, but that's another story lol)
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Davidtrios wrote:
    ive seen it myself. i know of someone who runs a very popular charity around here who flaunts all the shit theyre buying on facebook. I.e. getting new kitchens, travelling to south america and soon europe. it can be a VERY corrupt business
    :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Better Dan wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    ive seen it myself. i know of someone who runs a very popular charity around here who flaunts all the shit theyre buying on facebook. I.e. getting new kitchens, travelling to south american and soon europe. it can be a VERY corrupt business
    And the pure stupidity of people....
    Who cant see what is going on......

Just fucking amazes me.....

"Administrative expenses" :roll:

Admin expenses my ass. They can't be that friggen much. :evil:
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    You guys can say what you want about corrupt charities. I know there are some out there. But there are also very good ones, especially those that are locally based, that are losing gov't funding right now and are relying more and more on voluntary contributions. I'm involved in a couple of these charities. These are the real deal charities and could really use some help. If you look locally, you will find these that need help. Consider looking into them!
    7RayZ wrote:
    Some of the best charities are the ones who people who pulled together on a shoestring or no budget. Donate time and energy in causes they believe in because of passion or conviction.

So true.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    You guys can say what you want about corrupt charities. I know there are some out there. But there are also very good ones, especially those that are locally based, that are losing gov't funding right now and are relying more and more on voluntary contributions. I'm involved in a couple of these charities. These are the real deal charities and could really use some help. If you look locally, you will find these that need help. Consider looking into them!
    7RayZ wrote:

So true.

I know there are some great charities out there. Some are corrupt...some aren't. The only one I donate to is Conquer Chiari. It's a very close to heart charity of mine (I have Chiari) and all the money they raise goes directly to research. So not all are bad.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Jeanwah wrote:
    7RayZ wrote:

So true.

+1. Hopefully my previous post wasn't misintrepted that I think all charity was corrupt or big business. I don't. I do believe the big national charities are just big business however. I don't want to disclose the exact charity I was referring to in my previous post but think of a huge national cancer charity. I'm sure they do some great things, but should mid level management types really be making a quarter of a million dollars a year working for a "non profit" oranization? I had a member here PM a couple of months back when I posted about this and they asked me "should a baseball player be making 20 million a year to swing a bat". Well, baseball doesn't operate on charity and never says it's non-profit.

I fully agree that if you want to make a donation, find a nice grass roots, local charity. Better yet, donate your time if you can.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    DS1119 wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    7RayZ wrote:

So true.

+1. Hopefully my previous post wasn't misintrepted that I think all charity was corrupt or big business. I don't. I do believe the big national charities are just big business however. I don't want to disclose the exact charity I was referring to in my previous post but think of a huge national cancer charity. I'm sure they do some great things, but should mid level management types really be making a quarter of a million dollars a year working for a "non profit" oranization? I had a member here PM a couple of months back when I posted about this and they asked me "should a baseball player be making 20 million a year to swing a bat". Well, baseball doesn't operate on charity and never says it's non-profit.

I fully agree that if you want to make a donation, find a nice grass roots, local charity. Better yet, donate your time if you can.

It wasn't! :thumbup: Yeah, the national charities are the ones to seemingly look out for. Executives get paid a pretty penny, indeed.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,213
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Search Results
    Your search criteria (click to remove):
    Keywords: wishlist foundation
    0 charities matched your search criteria. :? :evil:

The same can be said for both social and environmental organizations.

Here's a few sites that rate charity organizations:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Any chance I can be clued in on to more details about what you guys are talking about? I donated some items and just found things to be a little off. Sorta shrugged it off, but now I'm curious.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    our world can be pretty messed up

how do they sleep at night I wonder, those spending the money meant for
    disaster victims, homeless, hungry, ill, those suffering so.

No conscious I guess or they must justify it in their heads.

We give to find cures and help the children with their dreams
    also aids

I hope the money is well spent
  • EilianEilian Posts: 276
    edited December 2011

Post edited by Eilian on
    I think it's fine to be critical of charities that are known to be wasteful-- maybe even our responsibility if we have been suckered in or feel betrayed. I've withdrawn support for charities after re-assessing them and deciding my time, energy and money could be better spent elsewhere. This has been especially frustrating when I've discovered certain environmental groups are doing a poor job of spending wisely and conserving resources. Too often I've given money to an environmental group and they send my back... STUFF! No thanks- I don't want more stuff, I want a healthier planet. That's one of the reason why of the larger groups, I like organizations such as Greenpeace and 350.org-- they use money to engage in environmental activism- they do things- rather than send more stuff to me.

And, sadly, I think what DS1119 said is true- some "charities" are basically just big business cloaked in lambs clothing. A little research will flesh those out.

So good, let's learn from this thread and be more savvy in our efforts to give back and do something constructive but please, don't trash the whole concept of being charitable without at least giving alternative ideas as to how to give back and help out.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux wrote:

It must feel satisfying too because you're seeing a direct effect on a personal level.

That said, whenever there's a crisis like tsumanis or earthquakes, always gotta help and larger organizations seem to be an effective vehicle for it.

But even individuals can do something. Like the Japan earthquake...there was a seller on Etsy making some beautiful bracelets, all proceeds going to Japan:

il_570xN.232689090.jpg
    Her shop is http://www.etsy.com/shop/uppermetalclas ... eller_info (feel I should give her props :) ). It is a piece I love having.

It's just like with anything, there are people that outright break your heart, but you don't give up on love altogether (I may have on that point, but that's another story lol)
    Great post. I'm glad there are still people looking to help the victims of the Japanese quake. It may be out of the news but the suffering is certainly not over.

And hey, don't give up on love. We all love you Chiquimonkey-- right gang! :D

• LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Just as there are some charities who take advantage of people there are some great ones out there too. I like to support a charity who runs camps for kids with epilepsy and they do great work, seen it myself! I had an auction day at my local pub and auctioned off donated local products (thanks guys!) and every cent went to them. So you should be careful not to paint everyone with the same brush. ;)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • brianlux wrote:
    Great post. I'm glad there are still people looking to help the victims of the Japanese quake. It may be out of the news but the suffering is certainly not over.

Yeah those poor people are still suffering. That's the thing with huge disasters, even with Hurricane Katrina here. Once a week has passed it's like it's dropped out of the news, to be taken over by some Kardashian nonsense or whatnot lol

Aw thanks, yeah my faith has been shaken so not feeling so confident, but thank you anyway :)
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
  • chromiam wrote:
    And I will show you people stuffing their pockets with money....

http://www.suntimes.com/9544260-417/kid ... taken.html

Ive said it a thousand times.....

Boy I could go somewhere with this.... :twisted:
    Do it. It needs to be in the open.
    Dirty scamming fuckers.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    I posted about this a few times in the past. The money these people make working for non-profits would floor most if they new the truth.
    Ya. I'm sure it's enough to travel all of Canada south America and to Europe.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
  • 7RayZ7RayZ Posts: 488
    The charity actually recouped twice what they lost by two generous men , so instead of losing 25k they got 50k! :D:lol:
  • Davidtrios wrote:
    ive seen it myself. i know of someone who runs a very popular charity around here who flaunts all the shit theyre buying on facebook. I.e. getting new kitchens, travelling to south america and soon europe. it can be a VERY corrupt business
    Wonder why it's not flaunted on here? Oh cause they above all of us "regulars"
    But come certain times around here they always seem to come around.
    Buuuuuuuuuuut. They have a gov license that is avail to see.
    RF fuckers.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
  • Bump. Cause it deserves one.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Bump. Cause it deserves one.

You deserve a bump. RF
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    who
    what
    why
    where
    and when????
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Bump. Cause it deserves one.

You deserve a bump. RF
    Hehe. And the hits just keep coming. :D
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
  • FBI. FBI FBI FBI
    Bbb bbb bbb bbb
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
  • brianlux wrote:

Yeah those poor people are still suffering. That's the thing with huge disasters, even with Hurricane Katrina here. Once a week has passed it's like it's dropped out of the news, to be taken over by some Kardashian nonsense or whatnot lol

Aw thanks, yeah my faith has been shaken so not feeling so confident, but thank you anyway :)
    What did George W. Bush think about Roe vs Wade ? He did not care how the people escaped hurrcicane Katrina.
  • its always interesting to see the negative, shit talking on the board. no one is fooling anyone on what the subject matter is referring to.

Lets not forget a few things about the world.....
    some people are married and are fortunate to have enough income to do fun, exciting things on one income.
    people are jealous and wish they had as fortunate of opportunities as others have.
    people are quick to judge, especially when people dont care to research things and ask questions to impaticular subjects, but instead ust assume the worst.

what are you getting out of this thread exactly? Do you want a detailed list of where monies go?
    then ask for one. dont try to drag peoples good will and positivity through a bunch of shit.
  • its always interesting to see the negative, shit talking on the board. no one is fooling anyone on what the subject matter is referring to.

some people are married and are fortunate to have enough income to do fun, exciting things on one income.
    people are jealous and wish they had as fortunate of opportunities as others have.
    people are quick to judge, especially when people dont care to research things and ask questions to impaticular subjects, but instead ust assume the worst.

what are you getting out of this thread exactly? Do you want a detailed list of where monies go?
    then ask for one. dont try to drag peoples good will and positivity through a bunch of shit.
    Actually there is no way to find out. It's 2 peoples word and that's it. A license # don't say nothing about anything on where any money goes.
    Just sayin.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.

Actually there is no way to find out. It's 2 peoples word and that's it. A license # don't say nothing about anything on where any money goes.
    Just sayin.
    And that's not saying that U do bad things. We've seen the good you do.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
This discussion has been closed.