Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Holtzmn wrote:
    Flaming Lips were ok but wasted a lot of time dicking around on stage.

sadly that never changes, seen them numerous times and it's always the same...

Really? I can't stand the Flaming Lips, so, I'm really happy I missed that.
  • Options
    HoltzmnHoltzmn Posts: 87
    Holtzmn wrote:

Really? I can't stand the Flaming Lips, so, I'm really happy I missed that.

They had a 90 minute slot but they could of done the same amount of music in a 75 minute slot. I think it just bothered me so much since they got 15 minutes more than Tool did and I kept thinking how they were wasting time while I really wished Tool had more the day before. I did enjoy them, it was my first time seeing them but I did know how they did all the balloons and stuff during their show. DMB was kind of a snooze for me but I really don't know any of his songs from the last 10 years or so.
  • Options
    Holtzmn wrote:

They had a 90 minute slot but they could of done the same amount of music in a 75 minute slot. I think it just bothered me so much since they got 15 minutes more than Tool did and I kept thinking how they were wasting time while I really wished Tool had more the day before. I did enjoy them, it was my first time seeing them but I did know how they did all the balloons and stuff during their show. DMB was kind of a snooze for me but I really don't know any of his songs from the last 10 years or so.

I hear ya... Yeah, Dave Matthews was fun with large amounts of Rum and countless joints.... And a lot of hot girls! :D

Otherwise, yes, Dave was mostly boring.
  • Options
    Really want to chime in on this thread.

Was at River's Edge as well... and man, was this band awesome! I too would have liked another 30 minutes, but I felt I got my money's worth- which was substantial flying from British Columbia to get there.

I knew, given that Maynard was touring with Puscifer that they were going to be playing the same setlist they had on their last winter tour. Further, I thought they might be rusty. They had to start Jambi over again after Adam botched the lead intro. Both becoming a bit of a reality, the show kicked serious ass. Tool music played loud sounds so damn good to me.

Hearing the Grudge and Crawl Away would have sent me on my way, but given the high expectations I had for these guys... they met and exceeded them. This was not going to be easy for them to do. I will travel again to see them. I'm steamed it took me so long to really get into them.

I love DMB. I've seen them faithfully every year for a few shows (will be going to the Gorge again). They stood no chance following Tool's act. I still really enjoyed them, but enjoyed them most when Lessard teased 46 and 2 and Schism in the encore. I wasn't alone, I think the whole crowd stopped what they were doing in disbelief and had the same thought as me, "Covering Tool?" Of course, it wasn't in the cards and All Along the Watchtower was the final song... but could you imagine?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    Holtzmn wrote:

Just curious, what does their "dicking around on stage" involve?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    foriginalsinforiginalsin Posts: 699
    Don't know if anyone listens to Joe Rogans podcast, its pretty good, but Maynard was on this week. Two and a half hour interview with MJK. Fucking awesome.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    Don't know if anyone listens to Joe Rogans podcast, its pretty good, but Maynard was on this week. Two and a half hour interview with MJK. Fucking awesome.

Can you bullet point the highlights? I loathe Joe Rogan.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    Holtzmn wrote:

you do know that tool's set was shorter than the rest because that's what tool wanted? their light show wouldn't have worked very well with sunlight (just ask the flaming lips!). so there really wasn't anything that could be done about it- i'm sure the organizers would have rather had them slotted for 2+ hours. alas, that's what you get for doing a festival around the longest day of the year while having a 10pm curfew. plus, looking at the sets from their tour earlier in 2012, it's not like we really got shafted in terms of song count.

i've seen the lips many times and i enjoyed this show much more than the others i've seen since 2004. finally a couple different songs, plus floyd's 'on the run'. their act is kind of tired at this point, though.
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    Maynard James Keenan on the Joe Rogan podcast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-AqQV1wp2Y

Enjoy!
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    zarocat wrote:
    Maynard James Keenan on the Joe Rogan podcast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-AqQV1wp2Y

Enjoy!
    I was fortunate enough to visit his wine bar in Jerome last June and did a sampling of about 8-10 wines. I ended up buying 3 bottles and they were all amazing. They don't ship to CT and I'm shit out of luck unless I send them to my brother in CO and have him mail them to me.
  • Options
    the people complaining about the tool live show, dont really understand the band, in my opinion. Ive never seen them live myself, but, i do know, tool was never a band that was interested in the spotlight, and they arent the type of band who want fans to oogle over them at the live show or to be in awe about a particular guitar solo live. Thats never been the intention of the band, so naturally their live show is going to be different. Maynard standing and singing in the shadows as opposed to being front and center in the middle of bright spotlights makes complete sense once you are aware of all this.
  • Options
    the people complaining about the tool live show, dont really understand the band, in my opinion. Ive never seen them live myself, but, i do know, tool was never a band that was interested in the spotlight, and they arent the type of band who want fans to oogle over them at the live show or to be in awe about a particular guitar solo live. Thats never been the intention of the band, so naturally their live show is going to be different. Maynard standing and singing in the shadows as opposed to being front and center in the middle of bright spotlights makes complete sense once you are aware of all this.

In addition to the fact that Danny Carey is the freakin MAN and he should be the main focus. Maynard deserves props for respecting that.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options

In addition to the fact that Danny Carey is the freakin MAN and he should be the main focus. Maynard deserves props for respecting that.

i agree, the whole band is way underrated, and yes danny could be the greatest drummer of our generation. Adams an amazing guitarist, maynard an amazing frontman. The whole band is unreal. One of my greatest musical regrets will always be that I never saw them on their lateralus tour, i can imagine, especially considering they were touring in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 that the shows would have been especially poignant and powerful. Im going to make it my mission to see them whenever they drop the new album, as i really kind of feel like this may be the last go around. I dont see them as a band for much longer sadly.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    i agree, the whole band is way underrated, and yes danny could be the greatest drummer of our generation. Adams an amazing guitarist, maynard an amazing frontman. The whole band is unreal. One of my greatest musical regrets will always be that I never saw them on their lateralus tour, i can imagine, especially considering they were touring in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 that the shows would have been especially poignant and powerful. Im going to make it my mission to see them whenever they drop the new album, as i really kind of feel like this may be the last go around. I dont see them as a band for much longer sadly.

The Lateralus tour was amazing. Actually caught them 3 days before 9/11 and then over a year later again. Very different shows, but both amazing.

I don't think as a band they are necessarily underrated but Chancellor and especially Jones get so overlooked it's almost criminal.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    These guys are truly amazing musicians!! DC, def greatest drummer of our generation! Hands down. Justin def way underrated as a bassist. Maynard well he's maynard and AJ is so fucken sick! I've been following these guys since the 90's and must say they are 1A and PJ is 1B for me. The lateralus tour was amazing and very spiritual for me. Here's a little creepy thing I've found quite intresting since 9 11. Go to aenima and play track #9 and listen to the lyrics very carefully. Then remember that the album came out in 96. See if you hear what I hear.... :corn:

Oh and eulogy at MSG during the lateralus tour, PRICELESS!!!
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Very clever ^ (if you are referring to the # mentioned on "Jimmy" with where it appears on the album)....I always found Maynard's lyrics to "Aenema" just brilliant, with his ability to "predict" what would happen to California's future society in the form of a tragic event (tsunami, earthquake)....it was a bold statement that still holds true, that there is definitely something very f'd up with how the fakeness and glamourization of celebrity is still worshipped today...I often think of the words to that song when I find myself shaking my head at how people embrace a particular lifestyle because they feel that "ideal" (money, vanity, media) makes us better people....unfortunately, it's a sad commentary on what today"s society has become
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    maynardsux wrote:
    Very clever ^ (if you are referring to the # mentioned on "Jimmy" with where it appears on the album)....I always found Maynard's lyrics to "Aenema" just brilliant, with his ability to "predict" what would happen to California's future society in the form of a tragic event (tsunami, earthquake)....it was a bold statement that still holds true, that there is definitely something very f'd up with how the fakeness and glamourization of celebrity is still worshipped today...I often think of the words to that song when I find myself shaking my head at how people embrace a particular lifestyle because they feel that "ideal" (money, vanity, media) makes us better people....unfortunately, it's a sad commentary on what today"s society has become

Sweet, someone caught it. "11 and she was gone.....11 is when we say(wave?) good bye, 11 is standing still, waiting to free your mind......11......."

Still trying to find that rumored message Maynard said during a show a couple days be4 the 11th. Some say he said it before and others say after. I'm leaning on the after. Think it was in Texas.
  • Options
    Aenema has been absolutely rocking my face off lately. It'll always be my favorite from Tool. Is there a more epic closer anywhere than 3rd Eye? Love listening to this one at skull splitting levels

How's everyone rank the albums?

Aenema-love the early days rage with later even more progressive tendencies
    Lateralus-song for song it's practically unbeatable, but I feel like it may be their most mechanical album
    Undertow-new appreciation for this one recently
    10,000 Days-pretty amazing and they turned up the technical side even another notch from Lateralus, but has rehashed ideas in almost every song
    Opiate-really dig how they maximize their dirty tricks in much shorter arrangements on a few of these

Can't wait to see what they come up with next, and can't wait to attempt to master them on guitar. I think I'm in the minority in thinking they'll continue on. They don't have time for many more albums with the time it takes, but they must really enjoy playing together with the touring they do.
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:
    Still trying to find that rumored message Maynard said during a show a couple days be4 the 11th. Some say he said it before and others say after. I'm leaning on the after. Think it was in Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-Fr3zDTP4 Is this it?

I was at a show a couple days before 9/11 and it was all the tour standard "speak for yourself, question authority" and "take this energy and do something positive" speeches.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494
    badbrains wrote:
    maynardsux wrote:

Sweet, someone caught it. "11 and she was gone.....11 is when we say(wave?) good bye, 11 is standing still, waiting to free your mind......11......."

Are people really thinking this has something to do with predicting 9/11? This is just a stupid coincidence. I always took this song to be about his mother and that perhaps at the age of 11 is when she fell ill and his whole life changed.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    badbrains wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-Fr3zDTP4 Is this it?

I was at a show a couple days before 9/11 and it was all the tour standard "speak for yourself, question authority" and "take this energy and do something positive" speeches.

ive always loved that. "take this feeling you have, and go home, and in the coming weeks and months, remember that feeling and create something positive". No other band other than tool would say it, but what a profound thing to say.

I dont know how i'd rank their albums but i'd say for me lateralus is number 1. Its just this unreal collection of music.

I love everything about this band. Alex Greys art is incredible, and I love the fact Tools music is spiritual and about awakening your third eye and all that.

I love the grand nature of the lateralus songs, but then they blow me away with small parts of the tracks. The end of Reflection for example, that effect Adam does is beautiful, ive caught some live videos of it, and he extends it, or extended it back in 2001 from about a minute to 4 or 5 minutes or so. And the end to Parabola has always been powerful for me, especially that video Alex Greys art, during that ending part, the third eye and adam going to town at the end.
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:
    maynardsux wrote:

Are people really thinking this has something to do with predicting 9/11? This is just a stupid coincidence. I always took this song to be about his mother and that perhaps at the age of 11 is when she fell ill and his whole life changed.

Tool fans are intense. So I wouldnt be surprised. lets not forget this is the same band who with the song Lateralus created their lyrics and the time signiture of a song to match the Fibonocci Sequence. Tool is the real deal.

But the 9/11 stuff, I didnt think the hubbub was that they predicted it, but rather that maynard suggested it was an inside job, 2 days after it happened. That was the extent of the controversy, at least in my mind.
  • Options
    id say they are maybe the most bizaare band in history, or at least in mainstream culture. What other band other than tool goes this deep into the metaphysical/philosophical/spiritual stuff, and at the same time is insanely popular. Thats the cool thing about the band, they are fiercely independent, but at the same time are popular as any band in the world. the music, while as has been said before is classic and the band is composed of some of the best musicians in the buisness, it almost seems like the band is almost an afterthought to them spreading this message about enlightenment and consciousness and all that. Which is pretty cool.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Aenema has been absolutely rocking my face off lately. It'll always be my favorite from Tool. Is there a more epic closer anywhere than 3rd Eye? Love listening to this one at skull splitting levels

How's everyone rank the albums?

Aenema-love the early days rage with later even more progressive tendencies
    Lateralus-song for song it's practically unbeatable, but I feel like it may be their most mechanical album
    Undertow-new appreciation for this one recently
    10,000 Days-pretty amazing and they turned up the technical side even another notch from Lateralus, but has rehashed ideas in almost every song
    Opiate-really dig how they maximize their dirty tricks in much shorter arrangements on a few of these

Can't wait to see what they come up with next, and can't wait to attempt to master them on guitar. I think I'm in the minority in thinking they'll continue on. They don't have time for many more albums with the time it takes, but they must really enjoy playing together with the touring they do.

i hope your right, but it just seems like with all the side projects of each band member, and maynards wine thing which effects when they tour and i assume when they record, and of course their notoriously long breaks between albums, i cant see them putting out the new album, then waiting 5 or 6 more years then putting something else out. They are almost 50 now age wise, and although people can rock long into old age, I dont see this band as being one of them sadly. The 5 to 6 year breaks between albums is great in that any album they do put out is guaranteed to be awesome, they are like Radiohead in that respect, any material they release is going to be good, you can bank on it, but the long breaks I think is also a detriment in a certain way. But they are still a band and still soldiering on, not too many bands from our generation have made it this long. Its insane to think they've been a band now for 22 years and have released 4 records. Thats insane.
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:
    maynardsux wrote:

If you follow tool, then you'd know it's not that far fetched. Maynard made a statement 2 days after and was pretty clear on him thinking it's an inside job. 2 days after!! It took me a while to even think that it was possible! I'm not saying he predicted it, but he def has inside knowledge. You have to remember that famous people belong to groups that you and I don't even know exist. Groups with inside knowledge and connections. It's part of being in the machine. They all know. Once you're in that click, you know things the average person has no idea about. I read a book on maynard and he was quoted in the book stating that when he was in the army back in 81, they were practicing dessert training. He said he found it odd as if they knew very soon that the global shift would turn to the middle east. Idk, just some info, do whatever you want with it.
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:

If you follow tool, then you'd know it's not that far fetched. Maynard made a statement 2 days after and was pretty clear on him thinking it's an inside job. 2 days after!! It took me a while to even think that it was possible! I'm not saying he predicted it, but he def has inside knowledge. You have to remember that famous people belong to groups that you and I don't even know exist. Groups with inside knowledge and connections. It's part of being in the machine. They all know. Once you're in that click, you know things the average person has no idea about. I read a book on maynard and he was quoted in the book stating that when he was in the army back in 81, they were practicing dessert training. He said he found it odd as if they knew very soon that the global shift would turn to the middle east. Idk, just some info, do whatever you want with it.

I don't think he has inside knowledge, but, he seems like an incredibly intelligent dude. It shows in the lyrics he writes and in interviews he has given in the past. He's a free thinker that doesn't believe everything that is spoon-fed to all of us.
  • Options
    ADAM JONES IN SEARCH OF A BLUE FACE DIEZEL VH4 AMP (1996)

ADAM is looking for a 1996 Blue Face Diezel VH4 amplifier. Perhaps you can help him? Anyone who knows of an available one (exact year, color & model please!) should email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:contact@satellitemgmt.com">contact@satellitemgmt.com</a><!-- e --> with info. Thanks.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    So addicted to them.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ADAM JONES IN SEARCH OF A BLUE FACE DIEZEL VH4 AMP (1996)

ADAM is looking for a 1996 Blue Face Diezel VH4 amplifier. Perhaps you can help him? Anyone who knows of an available one (exact year, color & model please!) should email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:contact@satellitemgmt.com">contact@satellitemgmt.com</a><!-- e --> with info. Thanks.

hey shit ill help him look. ;):lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say