Tool

Comments

• Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    rrivers wrote:
    News news news in the coming weeks. Hopefully Blair isn't just being a dick

TOOL NEWSLETTER
    JANUARY, 2013 E.V.
    The New Year started off on a bad note as far as writing and arranging sessions for Tool's next record. For the most part this was due to a 'minor' accident on a Vespa scooter (slick road conditions being the cause) by a certain band member that resulted in several broken ribs and a dislocated shoulder. Because of the physical nature of the musical instrument involved, 9 DAYS of jamming were lost, although I'm happy to report that the person involved is recovering nicely, so much so, in fact, that writing sessions resumed last Monday (January 21), despite it being a holiday for many.

Coincidently (?), a few days prior to the mishap on the scooter, another person involved with Tool also wound up in the hospital after crashing his Vespa in Hollywood. Although he suffered a head injury (as well as multiple cuts and bruises to his body), I'm quite certain that if you were to order an "Entaphiosis" Hoddie, you would receive an "Entaphiosis" Hoodie.

Several days ago members of the press (from different magazines) conducted interviews with band members about upcoming events, and I would imagine that these writers, etc. also inquired as to how things were progressing with regards to the band's next record. So, there's something to look forward to reading, and I will certainly try to give updates as to when these publications hit the newsstands.

I was hoping to be able to throw some of you a bone the first week of the New Year, but for certain reasons this announcement has been pushed back a month. Therefore, look for a news post that will be exciting to some towards the end of the first week in February. Most likely this will leak out on the Net before then, but either way I knew that my introducing the renowned maverick entomologist Rance Q. Spartley to the members of Tool was a damn good idea!

Also, check back from time to time for another newsworthy tidbit sometime in March (Don't even try to guess, because this one's really coming from left field!) And, after this, there should be at least one more item of interest to Tool enthusiasts before further speculation is discussed involving the band's next album (let alone any actual time-tables for recording, etc.).

Finally, there's a certain member of "Hellboy's" fan website (http://www.fourtheye.net) whose dick is on fire...

In TOOL-RELATED NEWS, JUSTIN'S side project MTVOID (with PETER MOHAMED and other contributions) should be releasing their musical debut "NOTHING'S MATTER" very soon. I received a copy from Justin yesterday, and after giving it a quick listen, have no doubt that many Toolies will really enjoy this sonic offering. I will be sure to post in the NEWS SECTION once it becomes available for sale in TOOL'S ON-LINE STORE, as well as in brick &mortar retailers.

And speaking of side projects, in case you haven't seen it - here's video for fans of APC, PUSCIFER, VOLTO!, MTVOID, and ONE WHITE ONION.

http://youtu.be/2nFILtIAlvk

Thanks for posting. I never read the newsletters because it's always a lot of pretentious bullshit.

"and Danny Carey is playing at the baked potato this weekend"

Nobody gives a shit... he does it damn near every weekend :lol:
  • Options
    Tool and Radiohead are mainstream. Thats why both bands are genius and among the top tier bands of our generation. Both create unconventional, unorthodox music that doesnt give a damn about fans or critics or radio play. They dont care if they get on the radio. Or sell 1 million units. Both bands are relentlessly creative.

Both bands show the possibilities of outsider and avantegarde/experimental art. Both bands are about as popular as any band could be in this day and age. Get massive amounts of press and airplay. Sell out arenas. And are viewed as musical gods. Yet their artistic integrity is intact. And they make art for themselves. Whats interesting is how the public gravitated towards both bands, despite both bands experimental approach to art.

It makes a clear case for experimenting and evolving as artists, as opposed to stagnation. And it is a clear repudiation of the idea that the public only likes crap art. The public does respond to emotional, true art, and these are 2 prime examples of that.

Additionally, both bands refused to let fame or money alter their art. I cant think of two more famous or beloved bands, and both just continue to create amazing music.

While I can't express that I am a huge Radiohead fan... I really agree with your sentiments regarding the integrity of the bands- especially with regards to Tool. They seem to do it their way and on their terms.

I can't remember the exact history, but I can recall that some of their videos (Prison Sex) were deemed too offensive to the television viewer and changes were demanded of the band to 'soften' the visuals. From what I can recall, the band refused. Speaking of Prison Sex... Tool ventures into subject areas that many artists would not dare touch. Child abuse- what a sensitive topic to write a song about. Done poorly and it might just be the death of a band or artist.

I am really excited for the next album. I'm actually confident that it will be the next in line to deliver years of listening pleasure.

No doubt that seems to be correct. With Tool, refusing to appear in any of their music videos and the fact that their videos are usually directed by Adam, and are nonlinear, and odd, and dont fit into the typical "tell a 3 part story in 3 minutes" paradigm of what a music video typically is. Add onto that, alot of Tool's songs are odd time signatures and stretch into the 5 or 6 or 7 minute and beyond territory. They refused to really appear in any of their album art, or videos or anything prior to the 10,000 days liner notes, and little is known about any of the band members. We know Maynard has APC and Puscifer and makes wine, but what do we REALLY know about him or the band, after what 20 plus years making music and being a band capable of selling out arenas? We know nothing about them. And I think thats deliberate.

Add onto that, the band doesnt deal, as you point out, in crafting songs or videos about "typical" rock band fare. They deal in metaphysics, spirituality, fibbonoci sequences, Jungian concepts, and deeply personal topics.

The band is the perfect example of an band sticking to their guns their entire career. They just flat out dont care. They dont care if we as fans like the music, or if Rolling Stone likes it. They make art. And they make it for themselves.

The band is extremely deep lyrically. The lyrics of course, but also the sounds and music itself, it all serves a clear purpose that extends WAY beyond getting someone to tap their toes or nod their head or that it sounds great turned up to 10 in the car. Tool is about changing the listener, and changing your mindset and your life. Whats crazy is, thats such a lofty goal, but the band has succeeded.

Also for 4 band members who are among the top musicians in their role, they are some of the most humble and least cocky people around. Danny Carey could be the greatest drummer of our entire generation and I guarantee you the guy probably lives in a fairly normal sized house, doesnt spend tons of money on fancy cars or olympic sized swimming pools and the like.
  • Options

No doubt that seems to be correct. With Tool, refusing to appear in any of their music videos and the fact that their videos are usually directed by Adam, and are nonlinear, and odd, and dont fit into the typical "tell a 3 part story in 3 minutes" paradigm of what a music video typically is. Add onto that, alot of Tool's songs are odd time signatures and stretch into the 5 or 6 or 7 minute and beyond territory. They refused to really appear in any of their album art, or videos or anything prior to the 10,000 days liner notes, and little is known about any of the band members. We know Maynard has APC and Puscifer and makes wine, but what do we REALLY know about him or the band, after what 20 plus years making music and being a band capable of selling out arenas? We know nothing about them. And I think thats deliberate.

Add onto that, the band doesnt deal, as you point out, in crafting songs or videos about "typical" rock band fare. They deal in metaphysics, spirituality, fibbonoci sequences, Jungian concepts, and deeply personal topics.

The band is the perfect example of an band sticking to their guns their entire career. They just flat out dont care. They dont care if we as fans like the music, or if Rolling Stone likes it. They make art. And they make it for themselves.

The band is extremely deep lyrically. The lyrics of course, but also the sounds and music itself, it all serves a clear purpose that extends WAY beyond getting someone to tap their toes or nod their head or that it sounds great turned up to 10 in the car. Tool is about changing the listener, and changing your mindset and your life. Whats crazy is, thats such a lofty goal, but the band has succeeded.

Also for 4 band members who are among the top musicians in their role, they are some of the most humble and least cocky people around. Danny Carey could be the greatest drummer of our entire generation and I guarantee you the guy probably lives in a fairly normal sized house, doesnt spend tons of money on fancy cars or olympic sized swimming pools and the like.

You've probably seen this, but for what it's worth... Lateralus and the Fibonacci sequence:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY

Many times while travelling with the family... I drive listening to Tool. Their lyrics and songs inspire me to try and engage my wife in meaningful dialogue about 'deeper' things. Driving along I wrestle her from near sleep and subject her to my perceptions of Tool's vast catalogue.

She doesn't get Tool though and more often than not, I have to wait until I am with a good buddy so we can gush over Tool's awesome writing ability.

"Learn to swim."
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

You've probably seen this, but for what it's worth... Lateralus and the Fibonacci sequence:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY

Many times while travelling with the family... I drive listening to Tool. Their lyrics and songs inspire me to try and engage my wife in meaningful dialogue about 'deeper' things. Driving along I wrestle her from near sleep and subject her to my perceptions of Tool's vast catalogue.

She doesn't get Tool though and more often than not, I have to wait until I am with a good buddy so we can gush over Tool's awesome writing ability.

"Learn to swim."

thanks for posting that.

Yeah, the band has openly admitted, things like colors in album art and music videos, vibrations, shapes, all are created to get the listener to think and to get the subconscious to wake up. Its all broken down to a basic level, to fundamental levels, a single sound, vibration, color, and then its easier to digest and take in. This is just so far removed from what other bands seem to be doing, its almost absurd in its foreignness.

And of course its all paired with Alex Grey's incredible artwork. It all works together for one purpose. Waking up the listener.

I dont think very many other bands are considering shapes and its impact on the subconscious!

They truely are a one in a million band.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Tool and Radiohead are mainstream. Thats why both bands are genius and among the top tier bands of our generation. Both create unconventional, unorthodox music that doesnt give a damn about fans or critics or radio play. They dont care if they get on the radio. Or sell 1 million units. Both bands are relentlessly creative.

Both bands show the possibilities of outsider and avantegarde/experimental art. Both bands are about as popular as any band could be in this day and age. Get massive amounts of press and airplay. Sell out arenas. And are viewed as musical gods. Yet their artistic integrity is intact. And they make art for themselves. Whats interesting is how the public gravitated towards both bands, despite both bands experimental approach to art.

It makes a clear case for experimenting and evolving as artists, as opposed to stagnation. And it is a clear repudiation of the idea that the public only likes crap art. The public does respond to emotional, true art, and these are 2 prime examples of that.

Additionally, both bands refused to let fame or money alter their art. I cant think of two more famous or beloved bands, and both just continue to create amazing music.

While I can't express that I am a huge Radiohead fan... I really agree with your sentiments regarding the integrity of the bands- especially with regards to Tool. They seem to do it their way and on their terms.

I can't remember the exact history, but I can recall that some of their videos (Prison Sex) were deemed too offensive to the television viewer and changes were demanded of the band to 'soften' the visuals. From what I can recall, the band refused. Speaking of Prison Sex... Tool ventures into subject areas that many artists would not dare touch. Child abuse- what a sensitive topic to write a song about. Done poorly and it might just be the death of a band or artist.

I am really excited for the next album. I'm actually confident that it will be the next in line to deliver years of listening pleasure.

You do know Danny drives an orange Lambo and lives in the Hollywood hills right? But I do agree with a lot of this post. These guys did it the right way. There way......
  • Options
    theres no question they have alot of money. they are in one of the most sucessful bands of the last 20 years. That said, i dont get the feeling they have butlers and live lavish lives. its just not them.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    why the hell are these guys riding around on Vespas? :lol: :fp:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,648
    why the hell are these guys riding around on Vespas? :lol: :fp:

that was my first fucking question when I read that newsletter on Saturday... :lol:

can't wait to see what the announcement is next week... I hope it is something big.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I really hope Tool releases their music to Itunes. I was just messing around with the Abby Road Itunes LP and there is some cool shit. the guys from tool would probably take it to the next level.
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    I really hope Tool releases their music to Itunes. I was just messing around with the Abby Road Itunes LP and there is some cool shit. the guys from tool would probably take it to the next level.

i doubt they will. For one, they are so far removed from technology as a band its pretty shocking. They dont have twitters. They dont have facebook accounts, at least none that fans can access. Maynard well into 2006 maintained that filesharing was bad for artists. And the whole iTunes culture taps into everything Tool as a band despises. Disposable albums, buying a single song, and throwing the rest of the album in the recycling bin, listening to Reflection and then shuffling it to a Grateful Dead song. Thats not Tool. They are an album band. And their albums are designed to be listened to from front to back. They are experiences. In addition, iTunes and iPods have created this culture, or modern culture views music often as background noise. Its something you listen to on your commute to work. Or you listen to it in your car when you are going to the dentists office. Or you have your earbuds in and listen to 2 songs as you take the bus to class. Tool's music is crafted for a much more deep purpose. Maynard doesnt want people listening to 2 songs and then shutting it off. And I dont think any of them want people doing the dishes while they listen. A Tool album is like a journey, an experience. Its designed to move you, make you feel, tranform you, alter you.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494
    LloydXmas wrote:

i doubt they will. For one, they are so far removed from technology as a band its pretty shocking. They dont have twitters. They dont have facebook accounts, at least none that fans can access. Maynard well into 2006 maintained that filesharing was bad for artists. And the whole iTunes culture taps into everything Tool as a band despises. Disposable albums, buying a single song, and throwing the rest of the album in the recycling bin, listening to Reflection and then shuffling it to a Grateful Dead song. Thats not Tool. They are an album band. And their albums are designed to be listened to from front to back. They are experiences. In addition, iTunes and iPods have created this culture, or modern culture views music often as background noise. Its something you listen to on your commute to work. Or you listen to it in your car when you are going to the dentists office. Or you have your earbuds in and listen to 2 songs as you take the bus to class. Tool's music is crafted for a much more deep purpose. Maynard doesnt want people listening to 2 songs and then shutting it off. And I dont think any of them want people doing the dishes while they listen. A Tool album is like a journey, an experience. Its designed to move you, make you feel, tranform you, alter you.

Yet APC and Puscifer's stuff is available digitally.
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:

Yet APC and Puscifer's stuff is available digitally.

Right. This is what baffles me. If Maynard lets his APC and Puscifer stuff on there why not Tool. It doesn't make sense. Also. The band can get really creative with the ITunes LP (videos, pictures and other freaky shit)
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    LloydXmas wrote:

Right. This is what baffles me. If Maynard lets his APC and Puscifer stuff on there why not Tool. It doesn't make sense. Also. The band can get really creative with the ITunes LP (videos, pictures and other freaky shit)

Maynard is not the only member of Tool and I'm sure the rest of the guys opinions matter. Maybe one or two of them don't want the music on iTunes... who knows
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,288
    LloydXmas wrote:

Maynard is not the only member of Tool and I'm sure the rest of the guys opinions matter. Maybe one or two of them don't want the music on iTunes... who knows
    Adam, Justin, and Danny make most of the decisions for Tool. Maynard Just shows up to throw down lyrics when needed and sing his ass off when thy tour. The other three are always hanging out together on the side while Maynard does his own thing (APC, Pucifer, wine making etc....).
  • Options
    mr bungle wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

Adam, Justin, and Danny make most of the decisions for Tool. Maynard Just shows up to throw down lyrics when needed and sing his ass off when thy tour. The other three are always hanging out together on the side while Maynard does his own thing (APC, Pucifer, wine making etc....).
    Makes sense. It doesn't matter how they distribute it, I'll be picking up their new album.
  • Options
    mr bungle wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

I dont think I agree with this. This makes it seem like Maynards not pulling his weight and Adam, Justin and Danny call him in once they finish everything else. To me, Tool has always been as close to a democracy as a band can get. All 4 bring something special to the table.

And as far as APC and Puscifer being on iTunes and Tool not. I get the opinion none of the 4 guys want Tool on iTunes. Its not like Danny or Adam are chomping at the bit to get the music on there. Seems to me all 4 are in agreement on it. It fits the MO of the band for the last 20 years. As I said, they've made their anti technology stance clear from the get go.

I think APC and Puscifer are different beasts. Neither are as popular as Tool, and neither hold the sacred place in fans hearts that Tool does. Additionally, i think both bands play the game alot more than Tool does. The way Puscifer is promoted is wildly different than how a new Tool album is promoted. Puscifer's first album got 2 remix albums. Can you imagine a Tool authorized remix album? Just wouldnt happen. Not to mention both APC and Puscifer's members seem alot more media savvy. All Gen X musicians, and view promotion and press as necessary.

And lets be honest as great as APC is or was, they arent Tool. They just arent. Judith or Orestes or 3 libras, those are beautiful songs, but they arent Parabola, or The Patient. Both of those bands make music that are alot more radio friendly than anything Tool's done.

To me, I just dont think its something they'd do. They work at their own pace. The last time they released new music Bush still had 2 years left to go in his presidency. Supposedly the surprise Blair refered to may be a new video, not of a song from the new album, but a video of The Pot. The video for Vicarious took forever to come out as well.

They seem content in doing what they are doing. They gain nothing from an iTunes deal. Their expressed reason for doing music has never been what iTunes provides an artist.

This is one of the last bands that seems to care about creating a whole album, a work of art with a capital a. These songs are labored over for many times half a decade or more. And the result is music that is true, and powerful. These songs werent meant for some person to see 10,000 days and see Vicarious is the most liked track of most people, and they get one other song, and then dont bother buying the rest of the work. So you get two songs, played out of context of a cohesive body of art work.
  • Options
    I dont think any band member of tool wants an itunes deal. You really think Danny's whining and pining for it?
  • Options
    The not embracing technology thing is getting old in my opinion. There are ways that they can incorporate modern tech into their craft and style without compromising their values.
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    The not embracing technology thing is getting old in my opinion. There are ways that they can incorporate modern tech into their craft and style without compromising their values.

i dont agree on that account. If they arent into doing it, and are happy creating art without it, why do it now? They get nothing out of an Apple deal. I dont think Adam lies awake at night and ponders how to get more people turned onto Tool. Its just not in their DNA. Theyve never embraced technology. Plus it sets them apart. Im not into Tool because they are like every other band. They are unique and special. Again, an iTunes deal would gain them nothing. Theyve turned down million dollar plus deals before, they could care less about the money. For me, Im completely in line with what Maynard and the guys view of it is. I use an iPod like everyone else, but people dont listen to albums front to back anymore. They listen to a song by Gaga, a couple of songs by Bruce, 3 songs by Neil, a dylan song etc...

On the flip, a band like PJ, I think is a perfect example of a band who really need help in this arena. I think they blew it promoting Backspacer, and dont really have a clue how to sell music in an iTunes/filesharing world despite their music being available on iTunes. PJ for backspacer their stated goal was to go all out, and sell some records. Giving an interview with Spin and Rolling Stone and doing some press on some Alt rock radio stations just isnt how you sell records in 2009, and it hasnt changed in 2013. PJ are the ones who havent embraced technology, and despite having great management, and a great fan club, i think the guys are clueless about how you sell records in 2013. And its not their fault really. Its just they came of age at a time when promoting an album meant getting on MTV or doing some radio interviews. PJ could be doing alot more.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494
    Just saw they announced some tour dates in Australia and New Zealand. You've got to be kidding me that they are still touring behind an album they released in 2006. It would be a little better to take if they at least changed up the setlist some but they've basically been playing the same set for 7 years.

Come on guys, get a new album out!!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    Heard no new album for this year :(
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

yeah, as far as MJK says.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

:cry:
  • Options
    Jesus... it's only February, too. :fp:
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Fucken A!!! Jesus Christ! A tour without a new album?!?!?! Come on boys, get your shit together......any shows in the states???? :D
  • Options

this is incorrect. i dont think anyone knows, even the 4 guys dont know when the new album is coming out. I think they are working on it, but it remains to be seen how far along they are. As I said last week, Maynards wine making will have an impact on recording, writing and touring. We wont know until they record it and tell us. We;ve got 10 more months to go in 2013, its not outrageous to this they may get a new album out this year.

The 4 are involved in alot of other projects, but it sounds like they are committed to the new album as top priority right now

As far as touring, they dont know what they will play. Adam said they dont have a setlist yet, and didnt know if they would include new songs in the setlist.

Im as eager and anxious as everyone else to get a new album but this is hardly surprising. these guys work at a glacial pace. Always have. They run every aspect of the band on a completely different level than other bands. Its been 7 years since a new album but to me its normal. At least for Tool.
  • Options

we got about 4 new tool interviews in the last few days. not a single one suggested an album in 2013 was out of the question, nor did any say they werent working on the new album
  • Options
    Tool Thursday on triple J, (wish it was every Thursday!) :D
    http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/s3685623.htm
  • Options
    And Danny Carey says there will be a Tool album this year

http://loudwire.com/tool-drummer-danny- ... spa-crash/
  • Options
    Shame to hear Danny was in that Vespa accident