Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    So addicted to them.

Good for you. I face the same addiction. I crank up 'other' tunes to try to diversify a bit... but, shamelessly, I always go back to them.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    So addicted to them.

Good for you. I face the same addiction. I crank up 'other' tunes to try to diversify a bit... but, shamelessly, I always go back to them.

when do you think LP5 will be released? I definitely feel like they have 1 more to do, and then its the end of the band. One thing thats always infuriating about the band, but also is a thing thats great, is they spend so much time in between records. You know whenever they release a new album is guaranteed to be quality since theyve spent so many years perfecting it.

They are indeed a unique band. Only other band I would pick as having the musical adventurousness and abstract occult high minded ideas would be The Mars Volta.
  • Options
    So addicted to them.

when do you think LP5 will be released? I definitely feel like they have 1 more to do, and then its the end of the band. One thing thats always infuriating about the band, but also is a thing thats great, is they spend so much time in between records. You know whenever they release a new album is guaranteed to be quality since theyve spent so many years perfecting it.

They are indeed a unique band. Only other band I would pick as having the musical adventurousness and abstract occult high minded ideas would be The Mars Volta.

I'll wait longer as long as the album they put out rivals their others! But... I wonder about their future as well? I hope they keep hanging around- their side projects are nowhere near as good as the band's.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    ADAM JONES IN SEARCH OF A BLUE FACE DIEZEL VH4 AMP (1996)

ADAM is looking for a 1996 Blue Face Diezel VH4 amplifier. Perhaps you can help him? Anyone who knows of an available one (exact year, color & model please!) should email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:contact@satellitemgmt.com">contact@satellitemgmt.com</a><!-- e --> with info. Thanks.

hey shit ill help him look. ;):lol:

Might as well. He'd probably pay you very well.
  • Options
    According to last month's newsletter, no progress was made in November. Still waiting on Maynard to get off of Puscifer's dick for a little while.

And of course the show's he's going to do with APC.... *sigh*

Fuck it. I'm going to Vegas
  • Options
    DANNY CAREY SAYS TOOL ARE MAKING PROGRESS ON NEW ALBUM, WORKING ON A ‘BIG EPIC’ SONG

http://grungereport.net/?p=20612
  • Options
    DANNY CAREY SAYS TOOL ARE MAKING PROGRESS ON NEW ALBUM, WORKING ON A ‘BIG EPIC’ SONG

It can't come quickly enough!

I'm just hoping the album will have been worth the wait!
  • Options

It can't come quickly enough!

I'm just hoping the album will have been worth the wait!

Jesus I hope so... glad the "epic" is being worked on :P :P
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    :fp: :fp:

I hate when people use epic usually means it's not
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    LloydXmas wrote:

If anybody know when to use the word "epic" I think it's these guys, and the tunes he references are the epitome of the word.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

If anybody know when to use the word "epic" I think it's these guys, and the tunes he references are the epitome of the word.

Happy Birthday!
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    DewieCox wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

THIS.....oh and happy bday dewie
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Thanks fellas!!
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

I have a lot of confidence in these guys as well. Much respect as well too!

Happy B-Day, Dew.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

I have a lot of confidence in these guys as well. Much respect as well too!

Happy B-Day, Dew.

And they're following their typical writing path... music first and then maynard pens the lyrics... incredibly to put lyrics to that music...
  • Options
    And they're following their typical writing path... music first and then maynard pens the lyrics... incredibly to put lyrics to that music...

Just unbelievable music.

Songs like The Grudge and Lateralus don't just come to you while a guy's having a bath. If the album is wicked... I am okay with the wait.

Fans are fickle: we hear all the time about the poor commercial qualities surrounding some releases from some bands... and then we hear of the unbelievable wait periods for other bands to pump out their 'epic' albums. There's no middle ground it would appear.

You can't put a price on quality art.

This is why I would prefer Pearl Jam wait until they are fully satisfied that their next album has not been compromised by a deadline. Imagine if they could resurrect Vitalogy or No Code with their next release (Vs. or 10 would be a stretch given their lack of anger towards the world these days).
  • Options
    This is why I would prefer Pearl Jam wait until they are fully satisfied that their next album has not been compromised by a deadline. Imagine if they could resurrect Vitalogy or No Code with their next release (Vs. or 10 would be a stretch given their lack of anger towards the world these days).

Totally agree with this.

The amount of "older" bands that still make me excited about new music is dwindling.
    The idea of new Tool is always exciting... until they put out crap.
    But that wont happen, because they'd shitcan it completely if they thought it was crap and just call it quits... And thats only a matter of time anyways... with the side projects, *cough cough* wine making and Maynard just not really being as into it as he was when he was younger. Tool is exciting until they are no more... and its only a matter of time.

Honestly, it sux that such a great and talented band that has been around for so long really has so little music. At the same time, I'd rather have less high quality music, than a shit load of music, but only half of it is good/decent/re-listenable. I like rock albums that I can listen to front to back, and not have a bunch of fluff in between to skip over. No sell out songs, no compromising. Just straight up good music, front to back.

Honestly, the only other band that I stay this excited about new releases from, that actually hold up to that excitement is Radiohead. Too many bands compromise their style or limit their own creativity... for whatever reason. Tool and Radiohead for me are still holding on strong. A lot of these "older" bands these days, Im just less excited about the new stuff, and get more excited for non-album tours.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    ^maynard has said several times his voice can't really do what it used to with Tool and even the 1st APC album. I really enjoy all his projects, and would be fine without Tool.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    choop wrote:
    ^maynard has said several times his voice can't really do what it used to with Tool and even the 1st APC album. I really enjoy all his projects, and would be fine without Tool.

That's fine... I prefer the second APC album anyway. :P
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    My first show, Maynard James Keenan

AWESOME HUMAN!!! Being
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Totally agree with this.

The amount of "older" bands that still make me excited about new music is dwindling.
    But that wont happen, because they'd shitcan it completely if they thought it was crap and just call it quits... And thats only a matter of time anyways... with the side projects, *cough cough* wine making and Maynard just not really being as into it as he was when he was younger. Tool is exciting until they are no more... and its only a matter of time.

Honestly, it sux that such a great and talented band that has been around for so long really has so little music. At the same time, I'd rather have less high quality music, than a shit load of music, but only half of it is good/decent/re-listenable. I like rock albums that I can listen to front to back, and not have a bunch of fluff in between to skip over. No sell out songs, no compromising. Just straight up good music, front to back.

Honestly, the only other band that I stay this excited about new releases from, that actually hold up to that excitement is Radiohead. Too many bands compromise their style or limit their own creativity... for whatever reason. Tool and Radiohead for me are still holding on strong. A lot of these "older" bands these days, Im just less excited about the new stuff, and get more excited for non-album tours.

Maybe You CRAP? Tool doesn't have any crap. Ask Thom Yorke if radiohead is mainstream and edgy.
    Thom will likely never get back to you. What are you getting info from??????

ump to: navigation, search
    Page move-protected
    Maynard James Keenan

Keenan performing as a part of Tool at 2006's Roskilde Festival.
    Background information
    Birth name James Herbert Keenan
    Born April 17, 1964 (age 48)
    Ravenna, Ohio, United States
    Genres Progressive metal, alternative metal, alternative rock, industrial metal, hard rock, experimental
    Occupations Musician, songwriter, record producer, winemaker
    Instruments Vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards, drums
    Years active 1984–present
    Associated acts TexA.N.S., Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty, Tool, Green Jellÿ, Tapeworm, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer, Alice In Chains, Melvins
    Website www.puscifer.com

Maynard... sells wine now. Fly a kite. Lane Staley is dead, Melvins are not good (ask Dave Grohl.. not really).
    The point?
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:

AWESOME HUMAN!!! Being

He's awesome... I love the three bands he is in.

All of them are awesome live, too
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:

AWESOME HUMAN!!! Being

Thank you , Paul.
    We need to thank him, he is reluctant to perform.

Awesome shows!!!
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:

AWESOME HUMAN!!! Being

Thank you , Paul.
    We need to thank him, he is reluctant to perform.

Awesome shows!!!

haha.. he gets plenty of thanks. He isn't really reluctant to perform... he's been touring Puscifer REALLY hard.
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:

Totally agree with this.

Maybe You CRAP? Tool doesn't have any crap. Ask Thom Yorke if radiohead is mainstream and edgy.
    Thom will likely never get back to you. What are you getting info from??????

ump to: navigation, search
    Page move-protected
    Maynard James Keenan

Keenan performing as a part of Tool at 2006's Roskilde Festival.
    Background information
    Birth name James Herbert Keenan
    Born April 17, 1964 (age 48)
    Ravenna, Ohio, United States
    Genres Progressive metal, alternative metal, alternative rock, industrial metal, hard rock, experimental
    Occupations Musician, songwriter, record producer, winemaker
    Instruments Vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards, drums
    Years active 1984–present
    Associated acts TexA.N.S., Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty, Tool, Green Jellÿ, Tapeworm, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer, Alice In Chains, Melvins
    Website http://www.puscifer.com

Maynard... sells wine now. Fly a kite. Lane Staley is dead, Melvins are not good (ask Dave Grohl.. not really).
    The point?

:wtf: :crazy:

you make no sense
    where did i say Tool was crap, or Radiohead mainstream?
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    News news news in the coming weeks. Hopefully Blair isn't just being a dick

TOOL NEWSLETTER
    JANUARY, 2013 E.V.
    The New Year started off on a bad note as far as writing and arranging sessions for Tool's next record. For the most part this was due to a 'minor' accident on a Vespa scooter (slick road conditions being the cause) by a certain band member that resulted in several broken ribs and a dislocated shoulder. Because of the physical nature of the musical instrument involved, 9 DAYS of jamming were lost, although I'm happy to report that the person involved is recovering nicely, so much so, in fact, that writing sessions resumed last Monday (January 21), despite it being a holiday for many.

Coincidently (?), a few days prior to the mishap on the scooter, another person involved with Tool also wound up in the hospital after crashing his Vespa in Hollywood. Although he suffered a head injury (as well as multiple cuts and bruises to his body), I'm quite certain that if you were to order an "Entaphiosis" Hoddie, you would receive an "Entaphiosis" Hoodie.

Several days ago members of the press (from different magazines) conducted interviews with band members about upcoming events, and I would imagine that these writers, etc. also inquired as to how things were progressing with regards to the band's next record. So, there's something to look forward to reading, and I will certainly try to give updates as to when these publications hit the newsstands.

I was hoping to be able to throw some of you a bone the first week of the New Year, but for certain reasons this announcement has been pushed back a month. Therefore, look for a news post that will be exciting to some towards the end of the first week in February. Most likely this will leak out on the Net before then, but either way I knew that my introducing the renowned maverick entomologist Rance Q. Spartley to the members of Tool was a damn good idea!

Also, check back from time to time for another newsworthy tidbit sometime in March (Don't even try to guess, because this one's really coming from left field!) And, after this, there should be at least one more item of interest to Tool enthusiasts before further speculation is discussed involving the band's next album (let alone any actual time-tables for recording, etc.).

Finally, there's a certain member of "Hellboy's" fan website (www.fourtheye.net) whose dick is on fire...

In TOOL-RELATED NEWS, JUSTIN'S side project MTVOID (with PETER MOHAMED and other contributions) should be releasing their musical debut "NOTHING'S MATTER" very soon. I received a copy from Justin yesterday, and after giving it a quick listen, have no doubt that many Toolies will really enjoy this sonic offering. I will be sure to post in the NEWS SECTION once it becomes available for sale in TOOL'S ON-LINE STORE, as well as in brick &mortar retailers.

And speaking of side projects, in case you haven't seen it - here's video for fans of APC, PUSCIFER, VOLTO!, MTVOID, and ONE WHITE ONION.

http://youtu.be/2nFILtIAlvk
  • Options
    Tool and Radiohead are mainstream. Thats why both bands are genius and among the top tier bands of our generation. Both create unconventional, unorthodox music that doesnt give a damn about fans or critics or radio play. They dont care if they get on the radio. Or sell 1 million units. Both bands are relentlessly creative.

Both bands show the possibilities of outsider and avantegarde/experimental art. Both bands are about as popular as any band could be in this day and age. Get massive amounts of press and airplay. Sell out arenas. And are viewed as musical gods. Yet their artistic integrity is intact. And they make art for themselves. Whats interesting is how the public gravitated towards both bands, despite both bands experimental approach to art.

It makes a clear case for experimenting and evolving as artists, as opposed to stagnation. And it is a clear repudiation of the idea that the public only likes crap art. The public does respond to emotional, true art, and these are 2 prime examples of that.

Additionally, both bands refused to let fame or money alter their art. I cant think of two more famous or beloved bands, and both just continue to create amazing music.
  • Options

TOOL NEWSLETTER
    JANUARY, 2013 E.V.
    The New Year started off on a bad note as far as writing and arranging sessions for Tool's next record. For the most part this was due to a 'minor' accident on a Vespa scooter (slick road conditions being the cause) by a certain band member that resulted in several broken ribs and a dislocated shoulder. Because of the physical nature of the musical instrument involved, 9 DAYS of jamming were lost, although I'm happy to report that the person involved is recovering nicely, so much so, in fact, that writing sessions resumed last Monday (January 21), despite it being a holiday for many.

Coincidently (?), a few days prior to the mishap on the scooter, another person involved with Tool also wound up in the hospital after crashing his Vespa in Hollywood. Although he suffered a head injury (as well as multiple cuts and bruises to his body), I'm quite certain that if you were to order an "Entaphiosis" Hoddie, you would receive an "Entaphiosis" Hoodie.

Several days ago members of the press (from different magazines) conducted interviews with band members about upcoming events, and I would imagine that these writers, etc. also inquired as to how things were progressing with regards to the band's next record. So, there's something to look forward to reading, and I will certainly try to give updates as to when these publications hit the newsstands.

I was hoping to be able to throw some of you a bone the first week of the New Year, but for certain reasons this announcement has been pushed back a month. Therefore, look for a news post that will be exciting to some towards the end of the first week in February. Most likely this will leak out on the Net before then, but either way I knew that my introducing the renowned maverick entomologist Rance Q. Spartley to the members of Tool was a damn good idea!

Also, check back from time to time for another newsworthy tidbit sometime in March (Don't even try to guess, because this one's really coming from left field!) And, after this, there should be at least one more item of interest to Tool enthusiasts before further speculation is discussed involving the band's next album (let alone any actual time-tables for recording, etc.).

Finally, there's a certain member of "Hellboy's" fan website (http://www.fourtheye.net) whose dick is on fire...

In TOOL-RELATED NEWS, JUSTIN'S side project MTVOID (with PETER MOHAMED and other contributions) should be releasing their musical debut "NOTHING'S MATTER" very soon. I received a copy from Justin yesterday, and after giving it a quick listen, have no doubt that many Toolies will really enjoy this sonic offering. I will be sure to post in the NEWS SECTION once it becomes available for sale in TOOL'S ON-LINE STORE, as well as in brick &mortar retailers.

And speaking of side projects, in case you haven't seen it - here's video for fans of APC, PUSCIFER, VOLTO!, MTVOID, and ONE WHITE ONION.

i think something obviously is going on, band members have hinted about it for several weeks now, but I see them being at the very early stages of the process. I also think the wine planting or making will impact when they record and tour. I have no idea about when is planting and ripening time, but that no doubt will be a huge factor in the process. I heard not too recently, Danny, Adam and Justin had been working on stuff, riffs and whatnot, but that they hadnt sent anything over to Maynard, and that Maynard hadnt worked on anything with the band as of yet
  • Options
    Tool and Radiohead are mainstream. Thats why both bands are genius and among the top tier bands of our generation. Both create unconventional, unorthodox music that doesnt give a damn about fans or critics or radio play. They dont care if they get on the radio. Or sell 1 million units. Both bands are relentlessly creative.

Both bands show the possibilities of outsider and avantegarde/experimental art. Both bands are about as popular as any band could be in this day and age. Get massive amounts of press and airplay. Sell out arenas. And are viewed as musical gods. Yet their artistic integrity is intact. And they make art for themselves. Whats interesting is how the public gravitated towards both bands, despite both bands experimental approach to art.

It makes a clear case for experimenting and evolving as artists, as opposed to stagnation. And it is a clear repudiation of the idea that the public only likes crap art. The public does respond to emotional, true art, and these are 2 prime examples of that.

Additionally, both bands refused to let fame or money alter their art. I cant think of two more famous or beloved bands, and both just continue to create amazing music.

While I can't express that I am a huge Radiohead fan... I really agree with your sentiments regarding the integrity of the bands- especially with regards to Tool. They seem to do it their way and on their terms.

I can't remember the exact history, but I can recall that some of their videos (Prison Sex) were deemed too offensive to the television viewer and changes were demanded of the band to 'soften' the visuals. From what I can recall, the band refused. Speaking of Prison Sex... Tool ventures into subject areas that many artists would not dare touch. Child abuse- what a sensitive topic to write a song about. Done poorly and it might just be the death of a band or artist.

I am really excited for the next album. I'm actually confident that it will be the next in line to deliver years of listening pleasure.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688

TOOL NEWSLETTER
    JANUARY, 2013 E.V.

Finally, there's a certain member of "Hellboy's" fan website (http://www.fourtheye.net) whose dick is on fire...

Thanks for posting. I never read the newsletters because it's always a lot of pretentious bullshit.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."