Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    better late than never chadwick!
    welcome to the party.
    check out http://toolshed.down.net/ for lyrics & a bunch of other cool Tool related stuff.
    and be sure check out the video - The Fibonacci in Lateralus http://youtu.be/wS7CZIJVxFY
    All Tool fans should watch that video.
    Musical genius.
    thank you, twisted thoughts. yeah i guess i'm fucking late. im jacked up! i'll check out your links & things when i return here in a bit. currently im doing laundry.

http://youtu.be/7Ajx-ABtbVM
    currently im listening to 10,000 days

i need a good $1,000 to go out & blow on music i don't have.

thank you again, twisted t.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Chadwick,

Maynard is definitely the face of the band... but don't underestimate the bass playing of Justin Chancellor or the drumming of Danny Carey. Adam Jones is no slouch on guitar as well- not overplaying his role and 'filling in' with very appropriate and complementary guitar work.

The Fibonacci sequence with Lateralus mentioned 2 posts ago is very, very clever. You DO need to watch that to place things in perspective.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293

The sequence creates a never ending spiral in mathematics
  • Options
    And Forty Six & 2 is pretty incredible, too.

"The title references an idea first conceived by Carl Jung and later expounded upon by Drunvalo Melchizedek concerning the possibility of reaching a state of evolution at which the body would have two more than the normal 46 total chromosomes and leave a currently disharmonious state.

The premise is that humans would deviate from the current state of human DNA which contains 44 autosomes and 2 sex chromosomes. The next step of evolution would likely result in human DNA being reorganized into 46 and 2 chromosomes, according to Melchizedek."

"Furthermore, the song references a wish to experience change through the "shadow"; an idea which represents the parts of one's personality that one hates and fears, which also exists as a recurring theme in the work of Carl Jung."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm38Ojh61lY

Jungian psychology is exceptionally fascinating to me. I eventually went ahead and attempted to communicate with my shadow through active imagination. If you ever want to have a crack at it, talk to me. It is not fun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_imagination
  • Options
    Chadwick,

Maynard is definitely the face of the band... but don't underestimate the bass playing of Justin Chancellor or the drumming of Danny Carey. Adam Jones is no slouch on guitar as well- not overplaying his role and 'filling in' with very appropriate and complementary guitar work.

The Fibonacci sequence with Lateralus mentioned 2 posts ago is very, very clever. You DO need to watch that to place things in perspective.

Justin and Danny are the backbone. That drumming is pretty incredible in my opinion... A real treat to the ears. Justin chancellor is exceptionally innovative and makes incredible use of the bass wah pedal.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    yeah the whole group is tops.

i think i figured out why i never enjoyed tool in years past. my friends would be cranking tool & we were on doing a lot of hard drugs at the time. fucking shit was to much when you're not sleeping much & my pals were fucking morons all screwed up as i was

difficult times.

so i avoided my own insane head when it was on.

i need time & space, not idiots on drugs
    although i was an idiot too

make any sense?

edit.
    ever get into a house party scene & the stereo is so loud & huge it kills. yeah that'll fuck you up when screwed up. that was also how i met pantera

lost my head someplace
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

i think i figured out why i never enjoyed tool in years past. my friends would be cranking tool & we were on doing a lot of hard drugs at the time. fucking shit was to much when you're not sleeping much & my pals were fucking morons all screwed up as i was

difficult times.

make any sense?

When was that?
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

difficult times.

make any sense?

When was that?
    :twisted: the 90's when ppl didn't sleep much or eat :evil:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

difficult times.

make any sense?

When was that?
    :twisted: the 90's when ppl didn't sleep much or eat :evil:

Yeah, you were listening to some of their heavier shit. I wouldn't want to listen to that on hard drugs either, I'd imagine!
  • Options
    just was always turned off until lately, now it is nice, before it drove me batshit nuts

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    And Forty Six & 2 is pretty incredible, too.

"The title references an idea first conceived by Carl Jung and later expounded upon by Drunvalo Melchizedek concerning the possibility of reaching a state of evolution at which the body would have two more than the normal 46 total chromosomes and leave a currently disharmonious state.

The premise is that humans would deviate from the current state of human DNA which contains 44 autosomes and 2 sex chromosomes. The next step of evolution would likely result in human DNA being reorganized into 46 and 2 chromosomes, according to Melchizedek."

"Furthermore, the song references a wish to experience change through the "shadow"; an idea which represents the parts of one's personality that one hates and fears, which also exists as a recurring theme in the work of Carl Jung."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm38Ojh61lY

Jungian psychology is exceptionally fascinating to me. I eventually went ahead and attempted to communicate with my shadow through active imagination. If you ever want to have a crack at it, talk to me. It is not fun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_imagination

that they reference this and also fibanucci sequence/patterning is incredible to me. I also wonder why I've never heard their music before ? ? ?

I heard one of their songs for the first time this very week and...it was push it? I believe, and just the way the guitars go in that song, well, I was definitely holy shitting and let's just say I'm looking forward very much to getting into this band. That they are also artistic, in-tune, universal/experience, stream of un/sub/consciousness/otherness is all just bonus.

They've been around since the nineties? I mustn't have had the right friends or something :lol:
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    :lol::lol:

Good Luck !
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Eulogy is one of my all time favorites
  • Options
    I never had a second for The Grudge and I really want one. Am I the only one that think that song is freaking top shelf?

Rollings... you had to make an effort to listen to these guys. They would never edit their videos and some of their material is based on taboo topics deemed not suitable for mainstream. Prison Sex, for example, is a pretty poignant song about child abuse. Most other songs are just too complex for the casual ear and kind of demand your attention. You were not going to hear them over the radio at work or in night clubs.

The good news for you? Years of quality listening. Years!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I never had a second for The Grudge and I really want one. Am I the only one that think that song is freaking top shelf?

All of Lateralus is top shelf
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    For their place in time, "Undertow", "Aenema", and "Laterlus" were all musical masterpieces for me personally....just listening to each piece from beginning to end was (and still is), like being taken on a muscial trip in your mind. But to fully appreciate this band, as I've said before, was to see how these songs translated live....til this day, I have yet to see any other band match the intensity or precision of a Tool live show (era '96-01) and doubt I ever will....Danny Carey is a beast! Fingers crossed as rumours continue to mount on new material taking form (how many years now :lol:) and to all you newbs getting into Tool, enjoy the ride (and do see them live if you get the chance), I have a feeling that their next effort will be their last (unfortuantely).....and check out some old Youtube videos, you won't be disappointed!!
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options

Rollings... you had to make an effort to listen to these guys. They would never edit their videos and some of their material is based on taboo topics deemed not suitable for mainstream. Prison Sex, for example, is a pretty poignant song about child abuse. Most other songs are just too complex for the casual ear and kind of demand your attention. You were not going to hear them over the radio at work or in night clubs.

yeah like this.

a person isn't always ready for certain music or whatever. as a teenager & in my 20's & up into my 30's the grateful dead meant almost nothing to me. then one day i was knocked to the ground by garcia & his pals. they beat my ass & i was awoken.

chili peppers have done this as well as this band here, tool. i am still not very much into early rhcp because of the rap sound from anthony's singing.

tool was forced into my head when my head was fucked up. my pals & i were snorting drugs & we were morons. they loved tool & i could not at all enjoy their music. years go by & people search out new tunes & that is what i have been doing a lot the last 5 years or so.

will i ever be ready for kiss? no i will not. to me kiss is a complete fucking joke.

one of my problems is in the past i was very much capable of getting stuck in a band's rut & never coming out to try other shit. sabbath & ozzy definetely took up tens of thousands of my hours. looking back i get upset with myself for such behavior. here is another example. when dad died i listened to one song for 6 months straight, megadeth's 'a tout le monde'.

don't get me wrong i have thousands of dollars wrapped up in cds, with a wide variety of groups.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    maynardsux wrote:
    For their place in time, "Undertow", "Aenema", and "Laterlus" were all musical masterpieces for me personally....just listening to each piece from beginning to end was (and still is), like being taken on a muscial trip in your mind. But to fully appreciate this band, as I've said before, was to see how these songs translated live....til this day, I have yet to see any other band match the intensity or precision of a Tool live show (era '96-01) and doubt I ever will....Danny Carey is a beast! Fingers crossed as rumours continue to mount on new material taking form (how many years now :lol:) and to all you newbs getting into Tool, enjoy the ride (and do see them live if you get the chance), I have a feeling that their next effort will be their last (unfortuantely).....and check out some old Youtube videos, you won't be disappointed!!
    :evil: newb fucking blows; but i guess that is my title, yes/no? :lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

that is awesome. I can certainly appreciate this

I do like to savor music. I still don't own Vitalogy or No Code for this very reason.
    I always want there to still be something
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Tool is a good band with plenty of fantastic songs. My daughter started listening to them about 2 years ago and I think its great. Sometimes the lyrics can be a bit intense for a 15 yr old - but she likes a lot of bands from the 90's era.... including Pearl Jam and Nirvana - thanks to her mom :P
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    it amazes me how much i enjoy this sound. it is doing something to me other music has not.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    parabol/parabola blew my mind
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/5EXeIAyWr0k
    h

fucking radical stuff

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    chadwick wrote:
    it amazes me how much i enjoy this sound. it is doing something to me other music has not.

Welcome to the tool family Chadwick! Great to have you aboard.. :thumbup: Now get ready to lose what's left of your mind.
  • Options
    capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... p_mobi=yes

The next album from Tool will likely be released at the beginning of 2014. Drummer Danny Carey told Loud Wire that the band is still working on their highly-anticipated fifth studio album. Though the band had mentioned the possibility of a 2013 release, that's looking increasingly unlikely, Carey said.

"Right now, since we haven’t started tracking stuff at this point, it'll be hard," Carey said. "We could have the record finished by the end of the year – that's a possibility, but the logistics of getting it manufactured and getting the record company in line and all this stuff, I doubt we'll be able to get it out before Christmas. We'll see how it goes. Most likely, it'll be early 2014.”

Carey said that he, Adam Jones and Justin Chancellor (but not singer Maynard James Keenan yet) are busy working on new material. "Stylistically, we're trying to push things in different ways, but it always comes out sounding like Tool no matter what we're trying to do," Carey said.

Tool released their last album, 10,000 Days, in 2006, and brief tours in 2009 and 2012 have kept fans eager for new material. Although the writing process is proceeding slowly, Carey is confident that the music is headed in the right direction.

"It's still the three of us right now and four of us it will be soon, you know, just working on all our parts and working on our compositions together," Carey said, later adding, "We're working everyday on it and it's going really well, so I'm hoping we'll get into the studio by the end of the year.”

I love Tool. A lot. They've pretty much always been my favorite band, behind PJ. But the more I read shit like this, the more I really don't like MJK and the way this band operates. It's pretty sad that 3 out of the 4 people in the band are working on new material, but not the fucking singer.

I know that the album will kick all kinds of ass when it comes out, but I've stopped looking forward to it. I also have zero hopes for it to actually come out in early 2014.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    I love Tool. A lot. They've pretty much always been my favorite band, behind PJ. But the more I read shit like this, the more I really don't like MJK and the way this band operates. It's pretty sad that 3 out of the 4 people in the band are working on new material, but not the fucking singer.

I think a lot of band's operate like this. I remember hearing Stone, Jeff, Mike, and Matt went to Montana to work on Backspacer and then Ed came in later. I remember reading about Rage Against the Machine and everyone but Zach working on the music and him coming in later. I didn't take it to mean MJK is being a dick. But I could be wrong.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I'm not disputing that MJK is a dickwad, but I think that's pretty well how they've always worked.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    I'm not disputing that MJK is a dickwad, but I think that's pretty well how they've always worked.

+1

And as long as they keep putting out kick ass music (every 6 years or so :?) I dont care how much of a dickwad he is!

This next one better be killer, because it'll likely be the last. (Tho I may have said that last time after 10,000 Days)
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    DewieCox wrote:

+1

And as long as they keep putting out kick ass music (every 6 years or so :?) I dont care how much of a dickwad he is!

This next one better be killer, because it'll likely be the last. (Tho I may have said that last time after 10,000 Days)

good points. They are a band that is pretty much guaranteed whatever they release, its going to be mindblowing and special. Rare band in that respect.

and to those who were saying maynard is a jerk, I disagree. Tool seem to be bound by no one. Every member has a hand in multiple pies. Tool's always been about not forcing it. They make music when they feel like it, record label, or public demand, be damned. Sure, for a band as special as Tool, a band together for 20 plus years, Id love for their to be more than 4 albums to show for it, but I think their past work speaks for itself in terms of its labored and complex and thoughtful quality.

The recording of this album i think has taken alot longer than the band expected. Personal things happened within the band since 10.000 days, and each band member seems content and happy doing other projects at the moment. I think their whole MO at the moment is: "if it happens, it happens".