Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    okay TOOLheads, here are the 5 songs danny and justin picked to spin this morning on triple j's take 5

tv on the radio - halfway home
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwv1B0KWvQ

digital bath - deftones
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmPBuSpmfA

if a change is gonna come - Sophia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc8BwrMFPU4

the demons name is surveillance - meshuggah
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKDAKg10IOc

spacedock - transam
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf2AKdVAbAo

A few surprises there. Cool to see Halfway Home.
    Rumours of a rift?

I think Maynard's voice was in pretty rough shape.

A post over at Toolband says they are dropping some gold confetti that says "Redeem at soundboard for setlist"
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    They opened with Third Eye in Sydney. That's pretty sweet

it was so fuckin' sweet. and lateralus was off the hook.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    mattbel123mattbel123 Posts: 130
    Will we ever see the follow up to 10,000 Days? Maynard says not this year and then Danny turns around and says not so fast.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

A post over at Toolband says they are dropping some gold confetti that says "Redeem at soundboard for setlist"

the confetti was pretty.. reminded me of rammsteins confetti cannons, tho TOOLs was way prettier. :lol:

security was tough on photography. I couldn't even take sneaky shots cause they made me bagcheck my bag cause I was on the floor. grrrr. but you know what... it was a good thing.. cause their graphics and light show is simply awesome and demands your attention without distraction... oh and they dedicated stinkfist to jeff hanneman.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    mattbel123 wrote:
    Will we ever see the follow up to 10,000 Days? Maynard says not this year and then Danny turns around and says not so fast.

theyre working on it. I heard danny say day before yesterday that its always a bad idea to give an indication of when TOOLs next release will be. justin said theyre not giving up tho.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,074
    Catefrances, how was it?

They postponed their Adelaide show. Rumours of a rift?

Vocal issues

http://instagram.com/p/YuRWZQqKFG/
  • Options
    mattbel123mattbel123 Posts: 130
    Maynard has had vocal issues for years.
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    mattbel123 wrote:

I think they've got one more album in them as a band. I dont see them as a band touring in their 50's. If any band fits the "they release albums whenever they feel like it" dictum, Tool definitely does. Its been 7 years. I dont think they feel ANY rush at all to make sure they release it this or any year. It comes out, when it comes out.

The news the other day from a Tool interview suggested they are still in the writing phase. And they are still working on the "Lateralus" type song of this new album. And that this song could be 20 minutes when its said and done.

Whats great about Tool is all the above. They dont do anything by the book. They take ricidulously long between albums and are completely unswayed by the marketplace, or whats hot and whats hip.

Plus, lets keep in mind they have so many side projects. The band operates or doesnt operate according to whenever Maynard is doing the wine stuff.

In all honesty, I think they may have wanted to record and write way sooner but personal issues and complications happened after the release of 10,000 days and now.
  • Options
    and I doubt theres a rift. the personal issues had nothing to do with band infighting.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    mattbel123 wrote:

He uses some kind of voice track during the APC shows to help his voice. I heard the screw up during the show in Philly last year. But god damn is this band sooo fucken sweet! Love having them add third eye to the set list. Finally got to hear it live in LA couple of summers ago. Tool is the second most concerts I've attended behind pearl jam. 23 shows and counting, sad thing is I'll never reach the pearl jam platto with tool. And you Aussies are fucken lucky to get to see them!

Did they bring out someone to play some drum solo with Danny during lateralus? That's my favorite tool song!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    mattbel123 wrote:

I think they've got one more album in them as a band. I dont see them as a band touring in their 50's. If any band fits the "they release albums whenever they feel like it" dictum, Tool definitely does. Its been 7 years. I dont think they feel ANY rush at all to make sure they release it this or any year. It comes out, when it comes out.

The news the other day from a Tool interview suggested they are still in the writing phase. And they are still working on the "Lateralus" type song of this new album. And that this song could be 20 minutes when its said and done.

Whats great about Tool is all the above. They dont do anything by the book. They take ricidulously long between albums and are completely unswayed by the marketplace, or whats hot and whats hip.

Plus, lets keep in mind they have so many side projects. The band operates or doesnt operate according to whenever Maynard is doing the wine stuff.

In all honesty, I think they may have wanted to record and write way sooner but personal issues and complications happened after the release of 10,000 days and now.

You make this post in every Tool thread and I probably reply the same thing back every time. I won't be surprised at all if they call it a day after their next album, but in interviews they always say they'll keep making music together b/c it's something they enjoy. Like you point out, they do things at their own pace and that plays into it.

I don't think they're gonna be the huge touring machine they have been with past albums, but I think that has to do with Maynard's wine than anything else.

I've read from some seemingly reliable sources that almost all of the recording has been done for several months now, and they're putting it out as soon as all the loose ends are tied up with it.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    mattbel123 wrote:

You make this post in every Tool thread and I probably reply the same thing back every time. I won't be surprised at all if they call it a day after their next album, but in interviews they always say they'll keep making music together b/c it's something they enjoy. Like you point out, they do things at their own pace and that plays into it.

I don't think they're gonna be the huge touring machine they have been with past albums, but I think that has to do with Maynard's wine than anything else.

In March Justin talked about how its never taken them this long before. They are older, and slower, and if it isnt happening they arent going to force it. It will happen when it happens.

As I said, they werent going to take this long in between albums. Personal stuff happened, and they've had to focus on that as opposed to making music.

I've read from some seemingly reliable sources that almost all of the recording has been done for several months now, and they're putting it out as soon as all the loose ends are tied up with it.

This months Rip It Up magazine, interviewed Maynard and Danny. Both said exactly what I just outlined. They are in writing phase. Are still working on the 20 minute epic song. Havent recorded or finalized anything. They could be lying I guess but I doubt it. They are rehearsing songs. They dont go into a studio until everythings written and ready. Nothing is at this point so they are still writing.

There are some bands who can keep going on forever. Other bands you just know wont be doing this when they are Mick Jaggers age. Tool is one of those bands. Had Adam Yauch not died, I think the Beastie Boys would have broken up in the next few years as well. You just werent going to see them rapping in their late to mid 50's. Thats not to say Maynard and Danny and everyone else will retire. They will continue doing art and making music forever. But I think the 7 years plus between records takes a huge toll. And as I said the touring and recording and writing takes a backseat to alot of the other projects currently going on, wine, marriage, divorce, etc...

I also think Tool more than most bands is a band about risks. Thats what being an artist means. I could see a point where they feel playing the same songs is boring and want a change.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    badbrains wrote:
    mattbel123 wrote:

He uses some kind of voice track during the APC shows to help his voice. I heard the screw up during the show in Philly last year. But god damn is this band sooo fucken sweet! Love having them add third eye to the set list. Finally got to hear it live in LA couple of summers ago. Tool is the second most concerts I've attended behind pearl jam. 23 shows and counting, sad thing is I'll never reach the pearl jam platto with tool. And you Aussies are fucken lucky to get to see them!

Did they bring out someone to play some drum solo with Danny during lateralus? That's my favorite tool song!

Which song? I've heard some effects used for his voice during certain songs ("Imagine"), but not a stand alone vocal track.
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:
    mattbel123 wrote:

Which song? I've heard some effects used for his voice during certain songs ("Imagine"), but not a stand alone vocal track.

The Outsider and I dont believe I heard it in NYC to. Always at the end, last lines of the song is where they fucked up. He sang it and the track sang it again right after him, was way off. Another guy caught it next to us to.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    DewieCox wrote:
    okay TOOLheads, here are the 5 songs danny and justin picked to spin this morning on triple j's take 5

tv on the radio - halfway home
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwv1B0KWvQ

digital bath - deftones
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmPBuSpmfA

if a change is gonna come - Sophia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc8BwrMFPU4

the demons name is surveillance - meshuggah
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKDAKg10IOc

spacedock - transam
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf2AKdVAbAo

A few surprises there. Cool to see Halfway Home.
    Rumours of a rift?

TV on the Radio? little surprised there, but good choice

Maybe late this year, early next year for a new album? :?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:

The Outsider and I dont believe I heard it in NYC to. Always at the end, last lines of the song is where they fucked up. He sang it and the track sang it again right after him, was way off. Another guy caught it next to us to.

Yeah, it's a distorted reverb effect. They use that in Imagine as well.

I don't think it's a fuck up, but intentional.
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:

And there you have it, here I am thinking he needs vocal help! :lol:
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:
    badbrains wrote:

And there you have it, here I am thinking he needs vocal help! :lol:

Don't get me wrong, he can't hit what he used to.... but, he's not yet reached that level yet :lol:
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    been studying a bit of tool lately & a bit over the years. i never really liked them, for a few reasons. the last few days i been diving into them to get the shit. i'll read lyrics soon. they are geniuses, all the people involved in the music & artwork.

so far tool is inspiring me to be a better person

another thing cool about music that has happened to me is i never liked the r h chili peppers until like a year ago, now the rhcp are huge to me.

never liked nin either... maybe they're next on the to do list. one day i loved the grateful dead as i never enjoyed them much before. so out of amazement, for two years i listened to the dead none stop & i couldn't move.

thank you, tool fuckers. good stuff
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    been studying a bit of tool lately & a bit over the years. i never really liked them, for a few reasons. the last few days i been diving into them to get the shit. i'll read lyrics soon. they are geniuses, all the people involved in the music & artwork.

another thing cool about music that has happened to me is i never liked the r h chili peppers until like a year ago, now the rhcp are huge to me.

never liked nin either... maybe they're next on the to do list. one day i loved the grateful dead as i never enjoyed them much before. so out of amazement, for two years i listened to the dead none stop & i couldn't move.

Atta guy! :D

Keep digging. If you haven't been jamming to The Grudge yet... listen to song and read lyrics at same time. That, my friend, is a song.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

one of the most bizaare bands in history. Even more so given their mainstream popularity. Theres a reason people call them legends. Only band in history that I know of that openly discusses the fact that their art, riffs, colors in videos, sounds, lyrics in their music are all aimed at awakening the listeners subconscious.
  • Options
    It was last year at this near exact time I flew my ass to St. Paul for the Rivers Edge Music Festival to see Tool.

What a great night. Great concert. Worth every penny to get there and see them.
  • Options
    It was last year at this near exact time I flew my ass to St. Paul for the Rivers Edge Music Festival to see Tool.

Was a good time, indeed
  • Options

Was a good time, indeed

Awesome concert and I gotta be honest... watching my buddy with his bad sunburn and drunk as a skunk was pretty damn fun too. Holy googly eyes. :crazy:

I texted him this morning reminding him of his self in America! Short of pissing his pants... he was a sheer champion that weekend. Actually... come to think of it... my statement may need correcting: he did come out of the honey buckets a few times reflecting his declining bladder pressure. He shouldn't have been wearing grey!

Minneapolis has bad booze laws though- nothing to buy after 10pm on Sunday (or something like that)? Don't they know that Canadians are visiting? Had to settle for pizza in the hotel room while reflecting on the shows.
  • Options

Was a good time, indeed

By the way... don't change your tag line at the bottom of your posts. That is hilarious.
  • Options

Was a good time, indeed

Awesome concert and I gotta be honest... watching my buddy with his bad sunburn and drunk as a skunk was pretty damn fun too. Holy googly eyes. :crazy:

I texted him this morning reminding him of his self in America! Short of pissing his pants... he was a sheer champion that weekend. Actually... come to think of it... my statement may need correcting: he did come out of the honey buckets a few times reflecting his declining bladder pressure. He shouldn't have been wearing grey!

Minneapolis has bad booze laws though- nothing to buy after 10pm on Sunday (or something like that)? Don't they know that Canadians are visiting? Had to settle for pizza in the hotel room while reflecting on the shows.

Shit man, you can't buy booze at all normally on Sundays in Minnesota
  • Options

Was a good time, indeed

Shit man, you can't buy booze at all normally on Sundays in Minnesota

We had no idea until we left the show. We didn't even have any corks to sniff or beer cans to fill with water and pretend.

Got a good night's sleep though!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    http://youtu.be/N_c60Sp7Gtc
    i love the fuckedupness of maynard. frickin dude is cool beans. this is from 93. in more recent clips he's still a frickin whack job.

today i found myself rushing home from the pool to play some tool
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    chadwick wrote:
    http://youtu.be/N_c60Sp7Gtc

today i found myself rushing home from the pool to play some tool
    that's so cool
  • Options
    better late than never chadwick!
    welcome to the party.
    check out http://toolshed.down.net/ for lyrics & a bunch of other cool Tool related stuff.
    and be sure check out the video - The Fibonacci in Lateralus http://youtu.be/wS7CZIJVxFY
    All Tool fans should watch that video.
    Musical genius.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...