*** Cincinnati Fanviews 6/24 Here ***

Comments

• MrFadedGloryMrFadedGlory Posts: 207
    jeffpjfan wrote:
    No need to apoligize, I was getting free alcohol at the show that night so I was a bit drunk. I think that had something to do with the bench amount. I am not some stupid meat head that runs around talking about shit like that.

If I knew your wife wanted the tambourine that bad, I would have given it to her, well maybe not. LOL.

Maybe we'll get together in Buckeye country for a beer one day. Have a good one.

Later
    Tambourine man

if you get up here for a game you seriously need to PM me...I have the sweetest tailgate hookup on a double decker bus where all the action is and will make it up to you. You seriously weren't bad in the least so fuck all that drinking shit...I re-read my post enough times to know I'm the douche bag; I wasn't lying, I just made it sound worse than it was and it had no business even being on a msg board. Sometimes when your lettin the ink flow it doesn't always come out that good. Since my wife is nursing and couldn't drink I was fortunate to have been able to jam out with you to RVM.

All I know is "I don't know how you do it!" Congrats on the tambourine snare and give my best (of apologies) to your lady.
    Left the Porch
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    sherm3000 wrote:
    I didn't really notice a problem with the sound either. I thougth it was an awesome show. I enoyed the setlist also.

some people can't take loud rock music, PJ FUCKIN RULES!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Just wanted to throw in my two cents...and my first two cents as a member of this board.

Pre-opener: A great moment. I had been singing the Kids are Alright all day...annoying the hell out of my fiancee. Well, we were sitting waiting for Robert Pollard, drinking a few beers and talking when we saw someone come to the front of the stage (realize we were like 3 rows from the top of the arena so we didn't recognize Eddie at first). Abbey (my girl) says "Hey, it's starting...but wait a minute (as she recognizes Ed)...we both look at each other and start to stand to cheer when he starts into the Kids are Alright. We went nuts...just one of those really great cosmic/karmic moments to open the night.

Show: It was only my second PJ show (other was Chicago II). I was one of those "I love the band but I've never seen them live kinda guys" before...but never again, I'm catching multiple shows on each tour from here until they stop doing shows or die. Anyway, the first set was a lot of fun. I actually liked the mix and they really played up to the crowds energy.

Encores: Here's where the problems came with the "set list" and this is where the Cincy show fell a bit flat as many others have alluded to in various other threads. Again, I enjoyed everything that was played...but what left me with the smallest bitter taste was at the start of the second encore, Eddie says something like "We'll play all night if you keep cheering, we are off tomorrow in Cincinnati".
    So, crowd goes wild, I'm expecting a State Collegesque show well into the morning. Instead, just four more songs. It's been repeated over and over, but I do tend to agree: the crowd was great and deserved a bit more. Again, I have no problems with the set list...everybody seemed into it, Eddie was having a great time, everybody was.......I just expected a bit more out of the encores in terms of just sheer number of songs.

Hey, but I'll never complain too much....I love this band and I'm so glad I've finally had/made the chances to see them live. I'll be in Milwaukee for Round 1 on Thursday....stupid wedding keeps me away Friday night.
  • binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    Just wanted to throw in my two cents...and my first two cents as a member of this board.

Pre-opener: A great moment. I had been singing the Kids are Alright all day...annoying the hell out of my fiancee. Well, we were sitting waiting for Robert Pollard, drinking a few beers and talking when we saw someone come to the front of the stage (realize we were like 3 rows from the top of the arena so we didn't recognize Eddie at first). Abbey (my girl) says "Hey, it's starting...but wait a minute (as she recognizes Ed)...we both look at each other and start to stand to cheer when he starts into the Kids are Alright. We went nuts...just one of those really great cosmic/karmic moments to open the night.

Show: It was only my second PJ show (other was Chicago II). I was one of those "I love the band but I've never seen them live kinda guys" before...but never again, I'm catching multiple shows on each tour from here until they stop doing shows or die. Anyway, the first set was a lot of fun. I actually liked the mix and they really played up to the crowds energy.

Encores: Here's where the problems came with the "set list" and this is where the Cincy show fell a bit flat as many others have alluded to in various other threads. Again, I enjoyed everything that was played...but what left me with the smallest bitter taste was at the start of the second encore, Eddie says something like "We'll play all night if you keep cheering, we are off tomorrow in Cincinnati".
    So, crowd goes wild, I'm expecting a State Collegesque show well into the morning. Instead, just four more songs. It's been repeated over and over, but I do tend to agree: the crowd was great and deserved a bit more. Again, I have no problems with the set list...everybody seemed into it, Eddie was having a great time, everybody was.......I just expected a bit more out of the encores in terms of just sheer number of songs.

Hey, but I'll never complain too much....I love this band and I'm so glad I've finally had/made the chances to see them live. I'll be in Milwaukee for Round 1 on Thursday....stupid wedding keeps me away Friday night.

As mentioned before... "SOMETHING" happened. We saw the techs gettin Jeffs bass ready and others adjusting mic stands and then NOTHING.. What that "SOMETHING" is, we'll never know I guess, but something happened, preventing them from coming out AGAIN. Either the gestapo authorities shut it down "for" them, or there was a major lapse in communication with the techs and the band!
    Also what was bizarre, did anyone else notice the consession stands CLOSING around 10??? It was like U.S. bank arena wanted pearl jam and the crowd out of the fucking joint and wanted us out NOW!! They would not even sell water or soda, NOTHING!! Then, you have the OBVIOUS turning off of the AC WAY before the show was over.
    It was like the powers that be that control the arena wanted that concert over with as quick as possible. Strangest shit I've ever witnessed at a pearl jam show!!
    I truly believe the guys wanted to give more.. But I believe there was truly "SOMETHING" that went down!

think we just found out what that "SOMETHING" was...

see "cincy revisited" thread. DAM!
  • MrFadedGloryMrFadedGlory Posts: 207
    As mentioned before... "SOMETHING" happened. We saw the techs gettin Jeffs bass ready and others adjusting mic stands and then NOTHING.. What that "SOMETHING" is, we'll never know I guess, but something happened, preventing them from coming out AGAIN. Either the gestapo authorities shut it down "for" them, or there was a major lapse in communication with the techs and the band!
    Also what was bizarre, did anyone else notice the consession stands CLOSING around 10??? It was like U.S. bank arena wanted pearl jam and the crowd out of the fucking joint and wanted us out NOW!! They would not even sell water or soda, NOTHING!! Then, you have the OBVIOUS turning off of the AC WAY before the show was over.
    It was like the powers that be that control the arena wanted that concert over with as quick as possible. Strangest shit I've ever witnessed at a pearl jam show!!
    I truly believe the guys wanted to give more.. But I believe there was truly "SOMETHING" that went down!

I don't disagree, something went down...but they shut down the booze in Cleveland right away too.
    Left the Porch
  • JenInTheBxJenInTheBx Posts: 293

Pearl Jam's policy is to stop selling alcohol at 930. I remember going to concession stands during the Ottawa show around 10 and not even being able to get water- I don't think that's uncommon for them to shut down early.

I did definitely notice something weird about Cincy now that I'm thinking about it- they brought out Jeff's bass at the end of the encore and then the band never came back out. It really seemed like the show was cut short- that was definitely among the shorter of second encores I've seen.
  • SkeeterBSkeeterB Posts: 423
    Just wanted to throw in my two cents...and my first two cents as a member of this board.

Being a seasoned veteran attending Pearl Jam shows, I tend to agree with you about the encores. They had an off day, he makes that statement going into the 2nd encore, and then only play 4 songs? That has not been the norm for this tour. This being my 9th show of the tour, it was one of the more energized crowds I witnessed, and was pretty shocked to see such a short 2nd encore.
    Fighting childhood obesity...
    www.amazingathletes.com/northchi
  • This was my second show of this tour, after Cleveland. I have to say, PJ definitely gave a high energy show here in Cincy. I'll definitely remember this night for a long while. I got to hear an extended version of RVM, which was a lot better than the Tokyo '03 boot I keep listening to lately. Crazy Mary jam at the end was the best I've ever heard. Present Tense was great, Even Flow kicked butt big time. Inside Job, WWS, Save it for Later tag...all memorable for me. I wasn't as familiar with the other songs like Leash or Green Disease, but they rocked for me. I know PJ likes to start off slow with stuff like Long Road, but that's like foreplay for me. I was just busting to rock out and scream, and boy did they deliver.

Some insights...

The sound was fine for me - I was at Sec.114 Row P in the middle. I didnt wear any ear plugs either. It's loud, yet not totally over the top with noise/feedback. Since I was on Stone's side, I got a good look at the mixing board. I did see Ed motion to her to turn something down early in the set (3rd, 4th, 5th song), so the sound might have improved from that point on.

I noticed they did away with the green laser show like they used up in Cleveland. Not that they are going to be mistaken with Pink Floyd, but it's cool to see during WWS. But it does limit where the guys can walk while it's on, so the hell with it.

Something was left out at the end, as everyone is alluding to. I did see Ed shrug to someone on his left on stage after the end of Baba O'Riley (Stone? or possibly a stage tech...whatever)

I'm not going to lose sleep over what could have been. I mean, Ed did give us a Who song on his own before Pollard and Co. Plus, hearing Alive "live" for the first time was my YL for the night. Baba O'Riley with Pollard on vocals was kind of a fitting way to end it, anyway. You can tell Ed likes this guy, I seen him watch all of Pollard's set from the side of the stage. I think Pollard even gave Ed his handwritten set list. So, I really don't think Ed and PJ wanted to steal the spotlight away just to get to play Indifference(??) or YL.

There was so many little extras that people have already mentioned. Matt is an awesome drummer hands down. He reminds me of Larry Mullen from U2 lookswise and energywise from afar. He makes you want to play air drums during the show. All those quick fills he puts into those songs...he's key to PJ's sound live for sure. McCready is a great showman and a great guitar jammer when the opportunity presents itself. His playing off of Boom's B3 jam on Crazy Mary...the two were going insane there. RVM was unbelievable.
    But really, everybody gave their all. Jeff was having a blast on his bass for most of the show. Stone was in good spirits. Ed, too. I felt spoiled to be able to witness such a good show from them.

My criticisms... one dude two rows behind us who had to throw up behind us before the start of the show. At least it was just the beer, but still, that's just nasty. I understand the craving for a buzz, but getting blasted before the show...what the hell. Why get all trashed or high before the show? Especiallly for a great band like this! The music should take you "there"...no?

Another dude spilled dumped one of his 4 beers behind us too. So, I just stood in beer. The couple next to me stood in puke and beer. You think we was jumping much during the show? Hell no...but we stood and jammed to the music the best we could. We didn't stand still - that's for sure!

They need to do something with the beer sales. Vendors had signs stating no more beer sales after a 1/2 hour into the show. So what happens? Everybody rushes for their 2 beers after the opening act finishes. The vendors clearly could not handle the long lines. Too slow...really, they need to park beer trucks at all the entrances with the taps on them. I see the strategy somewhat, they won't drive home drunk. But that's just forcing some to hit the bars before the show and come in drunk. So there's nothing to gain there.

I hate to end my post like this, so I'll just say, I'm glad to have seen PJ twice for my first tour of their's...and I look forward to seeing more of them in the future. Oh! I just remembered...I saw the Baba O'Riley part of the show was videotaped by one of the stage techs. You think that will possibly end up on a future live DVD? Kinda like Touring Band 2000? One can only hope!
    Alright, take care...
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I was close by (sec.115) and I too thought the sound was fine (no ear pluggs here either). I saw the video being shot earlier in the night too, I'm definatley hoping for a DVD! As for the crowd, I thought the energy was awsome...no sitting here! almost 4 days later and I haven't got my full voice back yet!! cut short or not the show was awsome!! :)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Great show--especially for a dad taking his almost five year old daughter to her first concert--she attended as a fan and has wanted to go for a while. Thanks to everyone in the center section of rows 2 and 3 on the floor(especially JH for holding her in the second row for both encores) for making it a safe/fun place to be. I was enjoying being there watching her sing and take everything in--hoping she would get some acknowledgement from the band. When she moved up and row and could be seen, every band member gave her either a smile or a wave (including two from EV). My wife was in non 10C seats on the side watching it all unfold and we were in disbelief when at the end of show Ed pointed her out and passed her his tamborine--it is a night my wife and I will never forget and she will always remember--Thank You Pearl Jam/10 Club/ Fans. P.S. if any one has any photos of this please contact me--thanks.

Hey! Me and my friend were right next to you! We were in seats 11 and 12 in Row 3 (Section 2). My friend was closest to you as I recall and I was on his left.
    George

Toldeo, OH 9-22-96 | Cuyahoga Falls, OH 8-26-98 | Columbus, OH 8-21-00 | Cleveland, OH 4-25-03 | Columbus, OH 6-24-03 | Kitchener, ON 9-11-05 | London, ON 9-12-05 | Hamilton, ON 9-13-05 | Cincinnati, OH 6-24-06
  • JoePJrocksJoePJrocks Posts: 24
    Where you at TAMBOURINE MAN ?!? Milton lost his legs last night - he must have been up Old Dirt Hill with Dave

Anyhow.....Cincy fucking rocked, be glad they didn't do the suppossed 3rd encore b/c there would be one less PJ fan walking around (due to death) - they wore me out !!!!
  • JoePJrocks wrote:
    Anyhow.....Cincy fucking rocked, be glad they didn't do the suppossed 3rd encore b/c there would be one less PJ fan walking around (due to death) - they wore me out !!!!

LOL...I was still recovering on Monday...I feel your pain!
    ~A compliment for us, is a compliment for you.~

• JLFJLF Posts: 10
    The Download is awesome. REALLY, REALLY awesome. AND....I believe he says Cincy was a "great, great crowd".
    Bummer, only one so far --> 6/24/06. It was the best though -- Cincy rocks!
    Add a second --> 6/14/08. Bonnaroooooo! Outstandingly and I was Lucky Enough to be There!
  • JLF wrote:
    The Download is awesome. REALLY, REALLY awesome. AND....I believe he says Cincy was a "great, great crowd".

I think you're right...

He also says something like Pittsburgh is like their third fav city, but cincy sang better than Pitt...

I am loving the download...and the pics that were with it--UNBELIEVABLE!

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    I think you're right...

He also says something like Pittsburgh is like their third fav city, but cincy sang better than Pitt...

I am loving the download...and the pics that were with it--UNBELIEVABLE!

amen to that. this show sounds awesome.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    hey where is that fake fan who caught the tambourine -
    I got two letters for you -- NA.
  • Cincy was my first PJ show and it was everything I could hope for and so much more. I couldn't believe the energy of the band and the crowd and left wanting so much more. The women I went with turned me on to PJ about 3 months ago and I have to say "Thank You" one more time since it is because of her that I am now a PJ freak. Also enjoyed meeting so many other great fans, especially the two guys from Indy where Cincy was their 27th show, they were great to rock with.
    Cincy-2006
    Chicago-2009
    Philly (Spectrum 3)-2009
    Philly (Spectrum 4)-2009
    St. Louis-2010
    Columbus, OH-2010
    Indy, IN-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincy-2014
    St. Louis-2014
    Raleigh, NC-2016 (Cancelled)
    New Orleans Jazz Fest-2016
    Wrigley II-2016
  • HeedHeed Posts: 1
    I'm friends with Robert Pollard and just wanted to thank you PJ fans for the good treatment at both shows. Had the opportunity to have a few beers with Eddie after the Cincy show and I must say, he is one of the most genuine people I've met. really nice guy.
    On PJ's setlist they had the last song listed 'Bobby O'Reilly'.
  • ThunderclapThunderclap Posts: 108
    Heed wrote:

nice ;)

RP put on a good show man. Hopefully the band will call him for some shows next tour.
    TEACHER SEEKS PUPIL
    Must have an earnest desire to save the world
    Apply in person
  • samvb5samvb5 Posts: 16
    nice ;)

RP put on a good show man. Hopefully the band will call him for some shows next tour.

He did do a nice job! Plus....on the boot Eddie thanks Cincy, RP, and then I believe he says Dayton, since Mr. Pollard is from there. Always nice to get a little shot out for your city!!!!!
  • edwho wrote:
    ~

I think when critiquing Pittsburgh and Cincinnati set lists you have to remember what’s next for the band (and us) The Tom Petty shows. Maybe Pittsburgh and Cincinnati were a warm up for those shows. More hits, Less rarities, Shorter sets.

Reading the Pittsburg Fanviews you’d think pandemonium prevailed all night in that crowd. Coming from Chicago (not bias) I agree with most those views. BUT I think Cincinnati fans were just more excited and were very much louder. If they had just known a little more cheering would have gotten them a third encore.

In Cincinnati after the band finished playing Baba O’Riley (with the house lights on) they took their bows and left the stage. People starting leaving and nobody was cheering. Folks should have been screaming because the stage crew was setting up for another song. In Pittsburgh Mike and Jeff’s quitar techs were breaking stuff down during Yellow Ledbetter. In Cincinnati after Baba O’Riley they were still prepping guitars. But nobody was cheering so after a few minutes someone with a headset gave the kill sign and the race to St. Paul started.

Cincinnati was so close to a THIRD FUCKING ENCORE. Royals17 and I could see a crew set list from our seats and Indifference was the last song listed.

~

I have heard that US Bank Arena pulled the plug on them. And that's why the house lights were on during Baba O'Riley. I don't know.
  • PJFan#1103 wrote:
    I have heard that US Bank Arena pulled the plug on them. And that's why the house lights were on during Baba O'Riley. I don't know.

Dang- if Baba had been played in the dark, I'm sure people would have gone nuts knowing that more was to come. Too Bad.

Anyone else listening to the boot? Doesn't Ed sound too low? And I'm so irritated by the breaks between the songs. Crowd sounds awesome, though.
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.
    Holy shit this boot freakin rocks - what a great show - they really did do a good job of inserting insane crowd noise (for those few, or maybe one guy, who had the audacity to say the crowd was lame)
  • Doesn't Ed sound too low? And I'm so irritated by the breaks between the songs. Crowd sounds awesome, though.

On the contrary, I was thinking that it sounded great. I know that the guitar and drop parts come through great as well. I love the boot...makes me want to do it all over again.

I agree with you about the breaks...I would like it to flow a little better so it is like one smooth concert.

But I'll tell you...I don't here the crowd singing, cheering, or getting into it at all ;-)

They must have played to an empty arena :-)

• But I'll tell you...I don't here the crowd singing, cheering, or getting into it at all ;-)

They must have played to an empty arena :-)

Yeah- that's the best part of the boot, I think, is all that canned crowd noise. Wonder where they got the sound of all the clap-alongs....?
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.
  • Yeah- that's the best part of the boot, I think, is all that canned crowd noise. Wonder where they got the sound of all the clap-alongs....?

LOL...I do love the sing along in "Present Tense" when Ed asks "you want to try?"

LOVE IT!

• StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I'm sooo jealous that you guys got Baba with Bob.

wow.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,823
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Heed wrote:
    I'm friends with Robert Pollard and just wanted to thank you PJ fans for the good treatment at both shows. Had the opportunity to have a few beers with Eddie after the Cincy show and I must say, he is one of the most genuine people I've met. really nice guy.
    the Love is Stronger than witchcraft nod by Eddie was sweet too- I missed the Pollard show here in NYC, so it was nice to see hime before PJ in Ohio.

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • JLFJLF Posts: 10
    Did any of you see the Paste Magazine 100 Best Living Songwriters? Mr. Robert Pollard is number 78 on the list that is topped by Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen.

Wow, I didn't think the concert could be any better but now I guess Paste Magazine has taken care of that.

Congratulations Bob Pollard.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/action/article?article_id=3003
    Bummer, only one so far --> 6/24/06. It was the best though -- Cincy rocks!
    Add a second --> 6/14/08. Bonnaroooooo! Outstandingly and I was Lucky Enough to be There!