Options

Poster Addicts Unite!!!!

pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
edited August 2008 in The Porch
So I had posted in another thread about being retired from posters, and was called on the carpet so to speak by a fellow posterer...;)....

release30 gave me an idea.....If you are hooked on posters, lets hear your story...are you still an addict....can you stop on your own, or do you need help like I would think SOME of us do....anyhow...here is my story...;)

I imagine that it would go something like this.....

This story is not for the weak at heart, this gets kind of graphic...small children should probably leave the room.......:)

....it is just paper, I guess. It all started back in 2000 with a sticky note. I liked the way it stuck to things all by itself....then I discover photographs and found that if you put them in a frame, you could HANG them on a wall...BRILLIANT I THOUGHT!! Then came lithographs, but they didnt stick, didnt have a taste for them...

.... But one day, I was at a friends house, and he took me to his basement, said he wanted to SHOW me something..I figured it was a new radio or record player we were going to check out BUT THEN...He pulled out what he called and "archival box"...Didnt think much of it until he took the lid off. One smell of the silk screening ink was ALL IT TOOK for me....Before I knew it, I had MY OWN archival box, and my OWN acid free foam board, nails, a hammer, paper towels and GLASS CLEANER!! I started dealing on line then. But by this time, I was a mess..I had emails coming in at all hours of the night..."hey man, wanna trade for this" "hey dude, I'll sell you this one at cost! " It spiraled out of control and before long, I didnt recognize myself.. I started speaking in tounges that no one had ever heard of. Gibberish mostly. I would just walk around talking to myself saying things like AMES and KLAUSEN and HESS and KOZIK...People were looking at me as though I were an alien...

...Then one day, I took what started out as 20 posters to the framers...then it was 35...then 50 and then I just said FUCK IT MAN DO THEM ALL!!! HAHAHAHAHA I was GONE man,there was no saving me til I decided enough was enough...I had to get some help....

....so I am here...Hi everybody....My name is pjtradeking, and I AM a poster addict!!! :D
Never, ever, flipping forget
"Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    You can cure yourself by giving me a few of your most valuable ones. It will be tough, but it's for your own good.
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    hahaha good stuff.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    That would be me too. Relatively new to this. Started with the Dusseldorf last year. Wanted that to frame it up with my setlist from the gig.

My other half bought it for me for Christmas, ah the memories :).

Then the yearning set in.....the smell, the feel, uncurling them from the tube for that first sweet glimpse....

I'm hooked, probably got around another 50ish posters since then. Really really want the Missoula '98, the new Ed one is sweet and hoping to add more from the '08 tour when the 10c lets some go.

Whenever I see a thread on here 'posters for sale' I get that rush, then the depression sets in when I realise I'm in a totally diferent time zone to those selling and more often than not they're gone by the time I take all of 2 seconds to convinve myself I need them.

I TOO AM A POSTER ADDICT! :D
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    I have a life-sized poster of myself hanging on the wall. That is all need...well, that and I like clowns and ponies, too. Does anyone here eat ice cream? That's real good stuff. Hey, you know what? Rubber bands are amazing, but if you ever have to put rubber bands in a cave, don't forget about the ceramic dolphin nuggets.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    So I had posted in another thread about being retired from posters, and was called on the carpet so to speak by a fellow posterer...;)....

release30 gave me an idea.....If you are hooked on posters, lets hear your story...are you still an addict....can you stop on your own, or do you need help like I would think SOME of us do....anyhow...here is my story...;)

This story is not for the weak at heart, this gets kind of graphic...small children should probably leave the room.......:)

....it is just paper, I guess. It all started back in 2000 with a sticky note. I liked the way it stuck to things all by itself....then I discover photographs and found that if you put them in a frame, you could HANG them on a wall...BRILLIANT I THOUGHT!! Then came lithographs, but they didnt stick, didnt have a taste for them...

.... But one day, I was at a friends house, and he took me to his basement, said he wanted to SHOW me something..I figured it was a new radio or record player we were going to check out BUT THEN...He pulled out what he called and "archival box"...Didnt think much of it until he took the lid off. One smell of the silk screening ink was ALL IT TOOK for me....Before I knew it, I had MY OWN archival box, and my OWN acid free foam board, nails, a hammer, paper towels and GLASS CLEANER!! I started dealing on line then. But by this time, I was a mess..I had emails coming in at all hours of the night..."hey man, wanna trade for this" "hey dude, I'll sell you this one at cost! " It spiraled out of control and before long, I didnt recognize myself.. I started speaking in tounges that no one had ever heard of. Gibberish mostly. I would just walk around talking to myself saying things like AMES and KLAUSEN and HESS and KOZIK...People were looking at me as though I were an alien...

...Then one day, I took what started out as 20 posters to the framers...then it was 35...then 50 and then I just said FUCK IT MAN DO THEM ALL!!! HAHAHAHAHA I was GONE man,there was no saving me til I decided enough was enough...I had to get some help....

....so I am here...Hi everybody....My name is pjtradeking, and I AM a poster addict!!! :D

GREAT POST!!!!

Hi, I am release30 I am addicted to posters...I don't care if they are framed although I would like them to be but, I feel the money I spend on framing is another badass poster I can buy...Do I need help...Yes...Do I care...No...Will I still buy posters??...I am unable to stop!!!..:)
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    always collected Jackson Pollock posters (I think over 50 now), and got hooked on PJ posters after I bought the Dusseldorf. Once I saw how sweet they are in real life I just got hooked. Yeah I saw them in dim halls at the shows and just thought yeah like that is going to stay clean and not creased through 4 hours of rock and roll.

thanks BK
    Thanks Ames (most of them)
    thanks EMEK
    thanks all the others too
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    always collected Jackson Pollock posters (I think over 50 now), and got hooked on PJ posters after I bought the Dusseldorf. Once I saw how sweet they are in real life I just got hooked. Yeah I saw them in dim halls at the shows and just thought yeah like that is going to stay clean and not creased through 4 hours of rock and roll.

thanks BK
    Thanks Ames (most of them)
    thanks EMEK
    thanks all the others too

So how many have you bought since the dorf???

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    i got addicted in 1995 at summerfest. Ive been buying them ever since. luckily, back in the roaring 90's you can buy as many as you wanted and they were 8 to 12 dollars. there is no end in sight. you can say your gonna stop, but your not. obey the poster
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    possomists wrote:
    i got addicted in 1995 at summerfest. Ive been buying them ever since. luckily, back in the roaring 90's you can buy as many as you wanted and they were 8 to 12 dollars. there is no end in sight. you can say your gonna stop, but your not. obey the poster

If we only knew then what we know now, huh?

• Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    ...so I am among friends?

My camera battery just went dead while I was taking a pic of each of my posters to put on picturebucket.

I am relatively new too, but getting too deep way too fast! Only 7 pages at ebeans but thats just since 2006.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    So, my story is that we’ve been collecting posters since the 60’s. Just love the art. But, being a PJ fan I realized we were only missing a few from concerts we’ve been to so set out to complete the set. Haha. Then I found EB and it was a whole new world. It is an addiction for sure, but one that I love! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options

My mother warned me about people like you. I will not succumb to your peer pressure !

Honestly, I will not get involved with the posters because of my addictive personality. Plus, I hoard.

But hey, you only live once, so enjoy yourself :)
    "Tweet"

"Chirp"
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I've never gotten into posters, but at Boston night I the poster looked amazing and I had to get it. I then remembered reading a thread that that is how the addiction starts, and I told myself I would not get a night II poster. Arriving at the venue and seeing it though, I had to tell myself I could not get it, no matter how much I wanted to. I knew if I didn't say no then, I never would have been able to again. :)
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    i've been a poster collector since the early/mid 70's: any concert/showbill i would come across, Steppenwolf, Triumph, FM, KISS in the day...now have some 600 gig posters from photocopies to silk screened beauties. I have the flat filing cabinet, the works....it's in my veins.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    Dirty FrankkDirty Frankk Posts: 4,274
    First PJ poster at my first PJ show back in 96 Roma beautiful Sutton poster, then for 10 long years nothing. I couldn't imagine then 10 years after because that poster I will become an addict with no point of return.

2006 was a year that I realize to have one more good reason to live.................................................................collect more posters :D
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    wheres the coffee and cigarettes in this joint anyways?????

And yes Im an addict.....It all started with the getz 96 florida poster!!!!
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,095
    were you up all night doing acid?
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    I am not an addict. I can quit any time I want. I've done it a thousand times. I just don't wish to quit now. ;)
    BTW, wanna buy some? :D

http://www.expressobeans.com/members/trades.php?fx=pearl+jam+&fxfilter=&id=6920&_changed&_changed&_changed&_changed&_changed&_changed
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    KDH12 wrote:
    were you up all night doing acid?

HAHA...Those days were waaaaay before posters, and only ONCE! ;)

Just having a bit of fun is all...:) Have a seat.... You are among friends....;)

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    I've been hooked since buying my 96 Ft Lauderdale poster through the 10 Club soooo many years ago. I love the art and I think I'll always collect posters even if I didn't attend them :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    I've been hooked since buying my 96 Ft Lauderdale poster through the 10 Club soooo many years ago. I love the art and I think I'll always collect posters even if I didn't attend them :)

I can see your trackmarks from here....;)

• Options
    My name is SmarterThanU and I am an addict. I liken my addiction to an alcoholic housewife in the suburbs that drinks way too much good wine every night. While she doesn't drink or smoke every chemical that comes her way like a bum in the street does, the end result is the same.

I think about posters all the time. I dream about cobbling enough money together to buy a 98 Maui (and damn-it, someday I will). I have traded five posters to get the one I want (ex: Pink Borgata--ever realize how much that sounds like pink "vagina"? Mmmmm). I have sold 14 different pieces of memorabilia just so I can have a 96 Ireland--what a pain in the ass that was, but so worth it.

I daydream about what my man cave will look like when my carefully curated poster museum is complete. I think about the framed poster thread and how I can make my post stand out. "Should I make a video once my dream comes to fruition?" Maybe with Olympic music in the background? Or maybe I could use that scene in Christmas Vacation with Clark and his Christmas lights and the drum roll and cut to my cream of the crop Klausen wall just as Clark sticks the plugs together?

People will say "can I please hang out with you at your house just so I can be in this awesome space? Pretty please??" And I will say No since I am afraid they just want to steal from me.

Down the road, my children will experience a suffering tenfold of what I have gone through as a poster addict. They will assume the responsibility of a collection that could only be rivaled by the Rockefeller family. They will be tortured at night with the fear that people only want to be friends with them because of the posters they've inherited. And if they do sell them all and make millions from the Sotheby's-run auction, then they will never find true love because of their vast riches.

But that won't be my problem anymore. Because the only thing that can free a poster addict from his/her fate is death. And when Gabriel's Trumpets finally blow-- then and only then will I know how it feels to be free.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

thats classic!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i'm not addicted to posters

remember the first step
    We admitted we were powerless over posters—that our lives had become unmanageable.

but i'm not like that....i can quit at any....ohh look at the ev batman poster....gotta get me one of those

wait wait i'm not addicted....after this one, i'm done

did you see the latest mccarthy?

yea that looks cool i might...

no no must resist....i'm not an addict!!

YOU GUYS ARE THE ADDICTS NOT ME....I'M OUTTA HERE! BUNCHA POSTER LOSERS!
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,563
    I got into posters about a year ago. Now, I have about 90 prints in my collection.... This means:

I have bought one poster every 4th day!!!!

It went from not caring at all.... to this!! Kinda creepy to think about and I am not seing myself slowing down anytime soon..
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    My name is SmarterThanU and I am an addict. I liken my addiction to an alcoholic housewife in the suburbs that drinks way too much good wine every night. While she doesn't drink or smoke every chemical that comes her way like a bum in the street does, the end result is the same.

I think about posters all the time. I dream about cobbling enough money together to buy a 98 Maui (and damn-it, someday I will). I have traded five posters to get the one I want (ex: Pink Borgata--ever realize how much that sounds like pink "vagina"? Mmmmm). I have sold 14 different pieces of memorabilia just so I can have a 96 Ireland--what a pain in the ass that was, but so worth it.

I daydream about what my man cave will look like when my carefully curated poster museum is complete. I think about the framed poster thread and how I can make my post stand out. "Should I make a video once my dream comes to fruition?" Maybe with Olympic music in the background? Or maybe I could use that scene in Christmas Vacation with Clark and his Christmas lights and the drum roll and cut to my cream of the crop Klausen wall just as Clark sticks the plugs together?

People will say "can I please hang out with you at your house just so I can be in this awesome space? Pretty please??" And I will say No since I am afraid they just want to steal from me.

Down the road, my children will experience a suffering tenfold of what I have gone through as a poster addict. They will assume the responsibility of a collection that could only be rivaled by the Rockefeller family. They will be tortured at night with the fear that people only want to be friends with them because of the posters they've inherited. And if they do sell them all and make millions from the Sotheby's-run auction, then they will never find true love because of their vast riches.

But that won't be my problem anymore. Because the only thing that can free a poster addict from his/her fate is death. And when Gabriel's Trumpets finally blow-- then and only then will I know how it feels to be free.

HI Smarter_Than_U!!.....Welcome to the club, please pull up a chair...Someone please pass him the tissue so he can dry his eyes...I know that was tough, but it will be ok! Admitting it is the first step in recovery! ;)

• Options
    HI Smarter_Than_U!!.....Welcome to the club, please pull up a chair...Someone please pass him the tissue so he can dry his eyes...I know that was tough, but it will be ok! Admitting it is the first step in recovery! ;)

Hold me
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    Hold me

LMFAO!!!! :D

• Options
    With the recent artillery sale coming to end, I figured we might have a few new members joining any minute! ;)

• Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    yeah im new to the poster addiction the first few shows i went to i was way to excited to think about anything else other thatn the actual show. im still wicked excited but now i go for the poster first!
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010