Options

*** Santa Barbara Fanviews Here 4/10/2008***

edwhoedwho Posts: 811
edited April 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder April Fool's Tour

April 10, 2008 Arlington Theatre, Santa Barbara, California, U.S.A.

Support: Liam Finn (with Eliza Jane Barnes)

Main Set: (Piano Interlude)/Walking The Cow, Around The Bend, I Am Mine, Dead Man Walking, Throw Your Arms Around Me, Setting Forth, Guaranteed, No Ceiling, Her Majesty (The Beatles)*, Far Behind, Rise, Millworker, UCSB Letter (Poem)**, Goodbye, Broken Heart, You're True, Driftin’, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, Trouble, I Won't Back Down, Forever Young, Porch

1st Encore: Society, Lukin, No More (with Ben Harper)

2nd Encore: Hard Sun (with Liam Finn, Eliza Jane Barnes and Ben Harper)***

Please share your Fanviews of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Early set list from “Its Evolution Baby and pearljgirl2010.”

* Début cover?

** Début Poem :D

*** Songs and set order unconfirmed.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sbheadsbhead Posts: 22
    Repost of what I wrote after just getting home:

Wow!!!!!!

Just got home. My wife and I rode our bikes to the show, home town Goleta, YO! Oh My God! I drank a bit more tonight that Santa Cruz, but the Arlington being my home joint, I was having fun. I got home from work about 4:00, had a couple of cocktails in the back yard then hit the road on the bike. My wife and I had dinner out front of the Arlington at Opal, yum! By the time we got inside I didn't have a care in the world to find our seats. We danced in the back isle of the balcony the entire time. No words can explain how this show has effected us both! We can't comprehend what just happened. We saw him in Santa Cruz and I after seeing he played Masters and Soon Forget in Berks, I was almost hell bent on hearing Throw Your Arms Around Me. Me wife absolutely melts every time I play it from Imagine In Cornice, and out it comes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Riding home Theresa said she only wished she could have calmed down enough to really enjoy it. Unbelievable, that was worth living this life right there. Huge props to everyone that was dancing back there on the balcony back isle with us. I'm not even going to attempt a set list, but can anybody say No More, Ben Harper style??? Oh yeah!!!! I'll leave it at that and let everyone else of a clearer mind have at it. And a big hello to the couple in 201 at the Santa Barbara Hotel, sorry we didn't head down after the show. I do have to be at work at 7:00.

Oh yeah, from where I was it seemed like a great crowd. Very little yelling between songs and I'm guessing the best sing-a-long No More yet.

Peace,
    Mike
    6/1/03 Shoreline, 7/13/06 Santa Barbara, 7/16/06 Bill Graham Civic
    8/28/09 Outsidelands Festival, 9/30/09 Gibson Amp, 10/1/09 Gibson Amp
    10/6/09 Gibson Amp, 10/7/09 Gibson Amp
    EV:
    4/5/08 Santa Cruz Civic
    7/9/11 Santa Barbara
    4/10/08 Arlington Theater, Santa Barbara
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    look at this pic

notice the balcolny on the upper right of the theater

ed started the show by playing the piano there

THEN

threw a rope over the rail and descended down the rope into the crowd and onto the stage.....

there's more but there are too many memories......:o:)
  • Options
    TallGuyCMTallGuyCM Posts: 328
    Ed was great tonight.

This may sound strange, but the highlight of the night for me was when Liam Finn covered fucking OLD MAN by Neil Young!!!!!! Damn he did that song well...nice normal verse, then stepped on this loud ass distortion pedal for that little riff before the chorus.

Amazing!
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    just got in the door....what an incredible day and AMAZING show!! it was awesome...Ed's entrance was fun, he was in a good mood, sounded great--BEN HARPER!!!!!! the crowd seemed to get better as the show went on, but there were still some morons...and Ed called them out. i had a blast.
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    roughly:

piano/Walking the cow
    around the bend
    i am mine
    dead man
    throw your arms around me
    setting forth
    guaranteed
    no ceiling
    Her Majesty?
    far behind
    rise
    millworker
    (UCSB letter)??
    Goodbye??
    broken heart
    you're true
    driftin'
    hide your love away
    trouble
    i won't back down
    forever young
    porch

society
    lukin
    no more w/ Ben Harper

big hard sun w/ Liam Finn, EJ and Ben Harper
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    roughly:

piano/Walking the cow
    around the bend
    i am mine
    dead man
    throw your arms around me
    setting forth
    guaranteed
    no ceiling
    Her Majesty?
    far behind
    rise
    millworker
    (UCSB letter)??
    Goodbye??
    broken heart
    you're true
    driftin'
    hide your love away
    trouble
    i won't back down
    forever young
    porch

society
    lukin
    no more w/ Ben Harper

big hard sun w/ Liam Finn, EJ and Ben Harper

seems right to me :)
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    made the drive back to LAX and sitting in the hotel jacked up on such a good show. Despite the best efforts of idiots around me in the Mezz to yell, cuss excessively, and the worst -- talk when Ed was trying to talk... and just be general buffoons, I had a great time.

PROPS to:
    Andrew, Summer, and Kirk for sharing a ticket with this traveling fool from MN who couldn't score his own 10c seats....

Jared and Jason, Chief and Bronco, for living in somewhat peace before the show.

Philly Joe and Nicole -- hope to see you in Camden! Fun to hang out with you tonight.

NukemJoe (sp?) -- thanks for the Stella dude.... travel safe back home and watch the hhiking.

Lydia & Dolly -- great pre-party. Thanks tons for your efforts.

And most of all...
    Thanks Ed and friends for giving back again to the best fans in the world. Hope we didn't let you down!
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,090
    cutback wrote:
    look at this pic

THEN

threw a rope over the rail and descended down the rope into the crowd and onto the stage.....

:eek:
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    cutback wrote:
    look at this pic

THEN

OMG are you kidding me?????

I couldn't sleep so I decided to come on and look at the setlist and I am floored!!!!!!!!!!! Throw Your Arms Around Me??????? Ben Harper???? I Won't Back Down?!?!?!?!?!?!?

WOW.

PLEASE PLEASE Throw Your Arms Around Me at SD night 1!!! It's the 1 song I have never heard live that I would LOVE to hear.

Sounds like an amazing night.
  • Options
    PrlJaminPrlJamin Posts: 10
    the UCSB letter was one of the highlights of the night for me. Ed read a poem his brother wrote to their parents while he was a student at UCSB. Perfectly summed up what it means to be a student out here.

Hard Sun was great with the lab coats. Porch was awesome, so was lukin. I Am Mine early in the set sounded great. Ben Harper! Overall a great night!
    I remember when I thought i knew everything..
    Lets say knowledge is a tree,
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    Sounds like an amazing show. I have been to Santa Cruz, Berkeley #1 and #2, and am going to both LA #1 and #2 as well. But damn I wish I would have been able to go tonight to the Santa Barbara show. Sounds like it was an amazing time. Please tell more about Ed on the piano. Also how was Her Majesty? Also was it a nice version of Wont Back Down? Cant wait until Sat/Sun.
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    eeerrrrr kicking myself for not comming out to one of these shows arrrrrr
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    cutback wrote:
    look at this pic

THEN

ahah... the 42 year old version of throwing himself in the crowd? :D

Sounds like a fantastic show.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    just got in the door....what an incredible day and AMAZING show!! it was awesome...Ed's entrance was fun, he was in a good mood, sounded great--BEN HARPER!!!!!! the crowd seemed to get better as the show went on, but there were still some morons...and Ed called them out. i had a blast.

Glad that you got a chance see Ben Harper and EV together. I listened to ITW yesterday at work and I like it soooo much more now, since I saw EV live. It made me wish I could see EV a few more times. Have fun at the LA shows.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    cbh1011 wrote:
    ...Lydia & Dolly -- great pre-party. Thanks tons for your efforts....

So I guess Lydia didn't loose the box of whishlist stuff from Berkeley. I'm not surprise that Lydia and Dolly put on a great pre-party. They are both wonderfull and energetic. Actually, Lydia is beyond energetic, but that's ok..as long as you're ready for it. :cool:
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    jg1988jg1988 Posts: 181
    Does anybody know if their will be botlegs of his solo concerts?

thanks
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    So Ed's acrobatics on cables and stage rigging aren't limited to PJ shows?

I never would have guessed.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    cutback wrote:
    look at this pic

THEN

That's a pretty sweet way to start! :)

What did the introduction sound like?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    great show, not the best audience of the three I've been to (SC, Berkeley II). balcony was half dead, though the few (about 20%) that were alive were great. sing alongs were quieter than the other shows, looked like the floor was making up for the lack of enthusiasm in the blacony. couple two or three talkative asses around me, but it was easy enough to ignore. Throw Your Arms Around Me, Ben Harper, Liam & EJ breaking out Old Man, Ed showing up like he was in Pirates of Penzance, lol.

saw a lot of friends, met Benjamin, seated next to me, who just got in from France...very cool.

great show
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    That's a pretty sweet way to start! :)

What did the introduction sound like?

nothing special just ed tickling the ivories.....:)

i just woke up after a wonderful 4 hours of sleep.....my eyes are burning; my throat is raw and i have a slight headache and all i can say is....

thanks ed....feeling this crappy never felt so good....:o :)
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    cutback wrote:

i just woke up after a wonderful 4 hours of sleep.....my eyes are burning; my throat is raw and i have a slight headache and all i can say is....

thanks ed....feeling this crappy never felt so good....:

:D:D

Sounds like an awesome Time!!!! now get some sleep so you can do it all again on Sat.
    :)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    cutback wrote:
    look at this pic

THEN

*thud*

WOW!

and throw your arms around me? and wont' back down? and liam covered old man? :eek: damn i wish i went to this one, aaaaaa!

glad you all had such a great time! :)
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    :D:D

Sounds like an awesome Time!!!! now get some sleep so you can do it all again on Sat.
    :)

oh but i can't....i got a call yesterday at 4 from a client and i need to meet him in a little while.....i had to miss dirty frank play last night....:(

saturday is gonna rock!!! :)
  • Options
    *thud*

WOW!

and throw your arms around me? and wont' back down? and liam covered old man? :eek: damn i wish i went to this one, aaaaaa!

glad you all had such a great time! :)

liam is a trip in the best sense of the word.....i loved it and old man was a treat!

and a personal highlight for me was ed sportin' the police t-shirt :D

although he started the show in walter payton's jersey :)
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    let me add, great job on the pre show fundraiser, thanks to all those that donated items.

all hail Vedhead27 & Soundgrunger :D
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    cutback wrote:
    liam is a trip in the best sense of the word.....i loved it and old man was a treat!

and a personal highlight for me was ed sportin' the police t-shirt :D

although he started the show in walter payton's jersey :)
    liam is AWESOME, and one of the nicest guys ever. i bought his live cd after his set on monday and he signed it, and was just the sweetest. looks like this on stage :Dhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=Y8aGlOj2VFo

maybe a little less hair heehee

i love reading the reviews of the shows, keep sharing the memories, makes me feel like i was there :)
  • Options
    Good lord i wish I could see one of these shows!! I hope you lucky left coasters are enjoying it! I just hope there will be a dvd...that would be sweet, but I would settle for a bootleg at this point
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    sbheadsbhead Posts: 22
    cutback wrote:

thanks ed....feeling this crappy never felt so good....:o :)

YES!!! I haven't felt this bad and loved it so much in a while...

Can someone tell me the point to yelling, “Fuck you Eddie!” all night, then around the last encore yelling, “I love you, Eddie.” Was that the same guy from Santa Cruz that was yelling, “Fuck Vancouver” and “Who cares?” through Eddie’s omelet story? I was pretty lit up last night and it still didn’t make sense to me.

What did everyone think of Eddie’s Spanish?
    6/1/03 Shoreline, 7/13/06 Santa Barbara, 7/16/06 Bill Graham Civic
    8/28/09 Outsidelands Festival, 9/30/09 Gibson Amp, 10/1/09 Gibson Amp
    10/6/09 Gibson Amp, 10/7/09 Gibson Amp
    EV:
    4/5/08 Santa Cruz Civic
    7/9/11 Santa Barbara
    4/10/08 Arlington Theater, Santa Barbara
  • Options
    onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
    Hey everyone, What time has Ed been getting on stage? I am going to be a little late for San Diego 2, and I'm hoping I wont miss Ed.
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • Options
    SmartypantsSmartypants Posts: 114
    OMG, amazing! I'm so bummed that the only show I got tix for was Berk 1 :(

If Ed does a solo jaunt again I'll have to get tix for each show because reading the fan views for these other shows is just breaking my heart.

Congrats to all the lucky fans who were there!
    michelle

power to the peaceful