Options

***San Diego Fanviews Here 4/15/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    repeat. actually, threepeat!
  • Options
    LETS GO YANKEES!!!

SD, the smallest venue, and I was 3 rows from the back wall... Wiltern, the biggest venue, I am 2nd row... hmmm

IMO the SD crowd sucked... I think most of the crowd there was thinking more about surfing than rocking!
    10/22/00 LV, 10/24/00 LA, 10/20/01 SF, 10/21/01 AF, 12/8/02 SEA, 12/9/02 SEA, 6/3/03 Irvine, 7/9/03 MSG, 9/1/05 Gorge, 6/3/06 NJ, 7/9/06 LA, 7/10/06 LA, 7/12/06 The Fonda, 7/13/06 SB, 7/22/06 Gorge, 7/23/06 Gorge, 10/21/06 SF, 10/22/06 SF, 12/2/06 HAW, 12/9/06 HAW, 4/10/08 SB, 4/12/08 LA, 4/15/08 SD
  • Options
    SCRIBLING C-MENTSCRIBLING C-MENT Springfield, IL Posts: 248
    VF_Scott wrote:
    Masters of war was incredible, absolutely incredible.

Agreed! I felt like that was the peaking point and it kept on peaking until the end, it was amazing!
  • Options
    IGotId13IGotId13 Posts: 17
    Agreed! I felt like that was the peaking point and it kept on peaking until the end, it was amazing!

Highlight for me by far was Masters of War...until Arc happened. The mood that song set in the room was unbelievable and the self-recording loop and then Ed simply walking off.

I know Hard Sun hadn't happened yet, but I can't think of a better way of ending an unbelievable show then leaving Arc looping in the air.
    "I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand dude, across which you do not pass." - Walter

"Everything in that story is completely true, except the part where we trained him and hired him." - Ed, San Diego 4/15/08
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    IGotId13 wrote:
    Highlight for me by far was Masters of War...until Arc happened. The mood that song set in the room was unbelievable and the self-recording loop and then Ed simply walking off.

I know Hard Sun hadn't happened yet, but I can't think of a better way of ending an unbelievable show then leaving Arc looping in the air.

Masters of War was a highlight for me as well...except for the Barry White thing.

I am ashamed to admit it, but Arc just doesn't do it for me. Sorry, I'll turn in my 10C badge now. :( :o
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    IGotId13IGotId13 Posts: 17
    Masters of War was a highlight for me as well...except for the Barry White thing.

I am ashamed to admit it, but Arc just doesn't do it for me. Sorry, I'll turn in my 10C badge now. :( :o

Truth be told, in the interest of full disclosure, but I was not a fan of Arc before Tuesday night. Not to say I wasn't a fan, I was pretty indifferent to the whole thing. I normally associated Arc with the end of the album and time to find a new one to listen to. Until Tuesday. Some songs take on new meaning when you hear them live, I think for me Arc was that song. (Not to get off on a tangent, but other songs I liked after concerts but not before: Brillian Disguise - The Boss, Hard to Imagine - PJ)
    "I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand dude, across which you do not pass." - Walter

"Everything in that story is completely true, except the part where we trained him and hired him." - Ed, San Diego 4/15/08
  • Options
    NoCode_inMTNoCode_inMT Posts: 551
    First off-THANK YOU 10c for the 9th row DEAD F'n center tickets.

IMO the show was incredible. Crowd was laid back, but so is San Diego in general... Highlights for me were Arc(of course), Hide Your Love, Porch, Barry White improv... The whole thing was awesome.
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • Options
    Great show, highlight of my vacation to San Diego of course....Special thanks to the crew who organized the Wishlist Foundation event, PatrickRedeyes and WolfBear did a great job, everybody was super friendly.......bye the way Arc was excellant!.....to reproduce that live towards the end of the show was nothing short of miraculous. Having a hang over and looping your voice is no fun I am sure.

10C thanks, Orch L seats 15-17...10 rows back
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,596
    Just wanted to add..Ed's story about Mickey Mantle. Eddie told how Mickey Mantle smoked weed for the first time and couldn't play the next day because he was so hung over. The manager was pissed, so he had Mickey Mantle come to the plate in the bottom of the 9th with the game on the line. At this point some jackass in a Boston cap yells out, "Yankeees Suck" and then a guy in a NY hat yells back , "Red Sox Suck!!" and a bunch of people start going all crazy. Most of us were like, "What the fuck.?? This is ridiculous ..I'm here to hear Ed, not a bunch of obsessed baseball fans." Someone yelled out, "Go Cubs!!" obviously cause Eddie likes them. Eddie played it perfect..waited for it to quiet down and blew off what had happened and went on with his story. "So Mickey comes to the plate, and can barely see the ball coming at him. He swings the bat and hits a home run to win the game. They asked him afterward how he did it. He said he saw three balls coming at him and swung at the one in the middle." I guess the point of the story was that Eddie was fucked up, but he could still pull off a home run as a show, and he definately did.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I thought the San Diego crowd was quite nice. Nice... in that they were there to put their ears to work, rather than their mouths.
    I've been to see other acts down San Diego way, and they are more reserved than the psychos in L.A. Instead of that constant noise that comes from the crowd... the place is completely silent while the performance is underway. It creates an atmosphere where it seems like it is only the singer and you in the room. Especially this show... the set is made up to appear as Ed's study or makeshift studio in his basement or something. Like, we were peering into his environment. Well, that's how I saw it.
    I think that's kinda the whole idea of the acoustic show... not for yelling or screaming... but for listening and enjoying.
    P.s. Hope y'all filed your 1040s.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i have such a terrible memory but things keep coming back to me...

someone shouted about what ed was drinking....ed's response:

"state of rum and coke"

:D

and i forgot about the mickey mantle story :)

totally agree with ya cosmo :)
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    cutback wrote:
    i have such a terrible memory but things keep coming back to me...

someone shouted about what ed was drinking....ed's response:

"state of rum and coke"

:D

and i forgot about the mickey mantle story :)

totally agree with ya cosmo :)

Someone shouted what you smoking Ed.......his response

''Something good'' :D

I was 2 seats next to the guy that yelled Jessies girl. lol
  • Options

what was his response

"if i could play jessie's girl you guys would disown me" something like that :D
  • Options
    The first time Eddie 'experimented' with Arc was at a San Diego show, a few years back. It was at the Sports Arena with real shitty sound - that goes without saying. The Spreckles Theater is a completely different issue - talking apples and oranges, acoustics. I never thought I'd hear Arc again after that night!

It was odd enough that Ed was on a solo tour. When I first heard about his 'looping' at this show - I really didn't know what to feel. Has he practiced? Is he under the influence? Does he need to try again with the hometown crowd?

I was stunned at what I heard from the first loop track. It grew and took on a life of its own. Eddie was mesmerizing and the music pulled me in. The answers were there - he has practiced since last I heard Arc and I am certainly pleased that I got to hear the song as it was (most-likely) originally intended. It's still experimental and I'd love to hear it again - don't know if that will ever happen but at least I got to listen to Arc's birth and Arc having 'legs of its own' and growing up.
    Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810

"something good" while swaying his arms in the air - great moment!!

the jesse's girl comment was pretty funny considering i cannot help but sing along to that silly song every time i hear it. i was sort of hoping....hahahaha

oh and thank you 10C for the incredible 3rd row seats!!!!!
  • Options
    dpphotodpphoto Posts: 284
    Excellent show! Super small venue, EV is hilarious, heard songs I was hoping to hear, met some great fans. Best time ever.

2 complaints, same reason:

To the tool sitting in the row behind N, likely O 112 or P 112 (if there was no O):

1) singing is acceptable... BELTING NEARLY EVERY SONG LIKE WE ALL PAID TO HEAR YOU ..is unacceptable

2) trying to replicate ARC as EV is doing it, louder than he was, is also unacceptable.

Seriously, you were screaming in my ear and drowning out the person I traveled across the country to hear. I'd love blame it on alcohol but unfortunately you seemed sober so that just makes you inconsiderate.

Lets review....
    chill your volume unless you are on stage
    never chant or try to "sing" ARC ..... EVER
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    what was his response

"if i could play jessie's girl you guys would disown me" something like that :D

yea something like that. :)
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    yea something like that. :)

I believe it was something like he *could* do it, but won't because he couldn't deal with all of us loosing all respect for him.

Both SD shows were amazing!!!!

It was a life changing (for the better) solo trip to SD for me. More later, to jet lagged right now to think!

I loved the male shovenest lesbian comment, or the ice cold fire. Gotta love those compassionate conservatives.....
  • Options
    OneLove wrote:
    I believe it was something like he *could* do it, but won't because he couldn't deal with all of us loosing all respect for him.

Both SD shows were amazing!!!!

It was a life changing (for the better) solo trip to SD for me. More later, to jet lagged right now to think!

I loved the male shovenest lesbian comment, or the ice cold fire. Gotta love those compassionate conservatives.....

He did kick the mic stand over didn't he during nite one? LOL
  • Options
    socalpalsocalpal Posts: 2

Yeah, he did. In between songs, when Ed was scrambling around deciding what instrument he would pick up next, he was trying to put one of the mics that slipped a bit back onto the stand and it just wouldn't go back right. After a couple of tries, he just kicked it down. Was too funny!

I really like the way everything was staged as if Eddie was a scientist in a lab experimenting with different songs and sounds, drinking his gatorade (?) - not sure it looked liked the fruit punch flavor. The white coats and all. The Barry White experiment was the best.
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563

Yep. I am so glad I was able to see both SD1 & 2. I feel like I was able to witness both sides of Ed. The polished profressional, and the hungover, honest, complaining, republican hating ed. Both completely kick ass, but had a totally different vibe to them, I thought.
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    Does anyone know where that version of "Small Town" played before the start of the show came from? It almost sounded like the guy who originally did "Walking The Cow". I think his name is Daniel Johnston. I figure someone has to have heard this before.
  • Options
    Only complaint from me was the crowd. No vibe at all, and a bunch of a__holes yelling really ruined a great show. Ed talked a lot more but was interrupted a lot as well. The "slow jam" was awesome!!!!
  • Options
    chaps219er wrote:
    Only complaint from me was the crowd. No vibe at all, and a bunch of a__holes yelling really ruined a great show. Ed talked a lot more but was interrupted a lot as well. The "slow jam" was awesome!!!!

The book story was the best. :D
  • Options
    tombellancatombellanca Posts: 117
    mvw wrote:
    Does anyone know where that version of "Small Town" played before the start of the show came from? It almost sounded like the guy who originally did "Walking The Cow". I think his name is Daniel Johnston. I figure someone has to have heard this before.

after tracking down and hearing Daniel Johnston's 'walking the cow' - I was thinking the same thing.

That opening was awesome!

Was it the only show that opened with something other than "tuolome"?
    6/24/95, 11/4/95, 11/7/95, 7/10/98, 7/12/98, 7/13/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/27/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/7/06. 7/9/06, 7/10/06
  • Options

Was it the only show that opened with something other than "tuolome"?

santa barbara had ed opening on a piano on a balcony from which he then repelled down from into the crowd :)
  • Options
    Boston21Boston21 Posts: 26
    mvw wrote:

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Anyone know?
  • Options
    So me and my girl roll into SD and check into our hotel and we decide, hey let's go get our tickets. We head down to Spreckels and Horton plaza and were looking for parking and she says. "Is that his tour bus behind us??" I tell her "probably not." So we park and we are walking up to the back of Spreckeles and I say to her "we gotta find the back door so we can get autographs." "Oh there it is with all those autograph hounds standing around it and who's that?? Holy Shit it's Eddie". He was signing stuff for people and had just gotten off the bus that was following us. He just got done signing stuff for a few people and was heading in for sound check. We didn't get anything signed but We said "have a good show Eddie."

By the way, for all of you people that were standing in line to get into the venue that wrapped around the side of the building. Eddie was sitting in his tour bus the entire time, with fans standing right outside in front of it.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    Amazing show!!!

When Ed started telling the Taxi Driver/Tour Bus story ("Denisse?... no, Denny's", hahahaha), he mentioned it was back in 1992 when Pearl Jam played at the mythical Iguana's in Tijuana, B.C., Mexico. It was great to hear that, because a lot of people still think that the first time Pearl Jam played in Mexico was in 2003, and it was not. I would love to hear more stories about that show.

Oh, and Liam Finn and EJ were amazing too. They're just great working toghether and live.
  • Options
    It is billed as Eddie Vedder's Solo Tour, Eddie Vedder April Fool's Tour, the ticket says, Eddie Vedder with special guest Liam Finn--whatever, it is with and without tongue in cheek, " A Very Special Evening with Mr. Eddie Vedder." What an incredible journey led to this night, I am sure he can tell and know much more than I, a fan since 1992.

Tonight, I drove down to Spreckel's Theater in San Diego. I enter, and it has marble statues, a ceiling mural, somewhere where you would go to see a "cultural event" like a ballet. Very intimate, and there I am, front, mid balcony, ready to take it all in. I had not read anything about the other shows, I did not want to know. All I was sure of, was it was not going to be Eddie out there, playing an show of Pearl Jam songs without his band. And damn, here I was in this classy theatre, about to see Eddie. Wasn't our dream as fans to come across him doing some secret show in a dive bar? We certainly have both come a long way, he and I, I was thinking.

First great surprise, Liam Finn. Liam is a one man band, with a woman with a great voice to accompany his voice, and do some percussion. The rest of the band is all Liam. He starts out singing along with his mate, playing guitar and ends up moving to the drum set and kicking your ass. First song, I am thinking, oh, nice, he has the very "Crowded House." sound of his Dad, but he goes on to be incredibly unique, and you no longer are thinking "Crowded House" or of anything else you have heard or seen before the first song is finished.

Then The evening with Ed starts. It is accousic. And, for those of you who worry about his magnificent voice gettting ravaged my cigarettes, booze, pollution, or whatever (=me-worried, cause it is the most amazing, moving voice ever) it is not ravaged. You hear the man do some covers, some solo songs, with great arrangements, like "Dead Man" and then I realize, hey, this is the dude who in 1992, stood midstage, with head down the entire show, and sang, with his hands crossed, no instrument. Now he can play the bejesus out of the guitar, the mandolin the ukulele, fingers flying.

Ed takes you on a dream of an evening telling stories, in a dry sense of humor, singing and playing and making it all look so easy, but you know there is a genius at work on all the many levels-the lyrics, the voice, the arrangements. It is a different type of emotional roller coaster a Pearl Jam show provides. The awe is much there, but it is different. It is his one man show, it is more intimate, it is tamer, yes, being accoustic, yet just as exhilarating. It is a little more personal, much more intimate. The voice can still make you want to cry with its haunting beauty and the words it is saying, but tonight, it more made me smile. Yes, all the songs have been an operetta for a lot of our lives and for the conditions of the country we want to change, but tonight there is joy and hope in the art. It ended with the incredible "Hard Sun" that too, can be sad, but had you up on your feet and dancing, all because Ed made it into that.

Now I have to go to bed, get up and go to my crappy job, but I will have this, as my culmination of my 16 years of Pearl Jam shows and being a diehard fan. I never could have dreamed this special, special evening with Mr. Eddie Vedder.
    Sincerely,

BOOM's ORGAN