Options

***San Diego Fanviews Here 4/15/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    This thread is reserved for the lucky fans in attendance.

So if you weren’t there; this thread should only be read.

~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    magikev wrote:
    Setlist (somewhat out of order)

Okay, so the show kicked ass. Eddie was super funny. But first, here's the cool part: 10C screwed up some of the seats, and put my girlfriend and I in separate rows (she was right in front of me). Well, we politely complained (I tried being very nice, as normally I don't make a big deal about these things) and THEY PUT US IN THE FRONT ROW!!!!!! It was crazy. "

same thing happened to us, but we didn't say anything and we sat on diff. rows, damn!
    "We're heavily Hemingway inspired." -ed
  • Options
    hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    What an amazing show. My only of the tour and I am content. Ed blew me away. He was hilarious and just on top of everything. The stories and the preset song were too much. Really enjoyed hearing Brokenhearted and You're True for the first time since the Wiltern '02.
    I thought the crowd was great. The yelling was certainly annoying, but it wasn't near enough to me to make it horrible. Ed did a pretty good job with it.
    I thought the sitting/standing issue was great. Seated for a solo acoustic show I have absolutely no problem with. I can relax and take it all in. Standing for the final encore. Perfect.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    NiteLite10NiteLite10 Posts: 144
    No one has mentioned the bus driver story. Eddie mentioned back in 1992/1993 they were playing a show in Tijuana, and Eddie said he forgot something in their tour bus parked ten minutes across the border in a Dennys parking lot. Him and Eric Johnson(the one who stole lindsey's book) tried to flag down a taxi and had a difficult time explaining how to go north and what direction. Finally they got the taxi driver to make it across the border. They asked him "Do you know Dennys??" and he kept saying.."No se Denise" "No...DENNYS.." "No se Denise" They pull up to the touring bus and the taxi driver says "This is YOUR bus????" Obviously surprised that a long haired grunge guy would have such luxury. Eddie replied "Yeah I guess it is mine." Then the taxi driver said "You have all the accumens?" in perfect english. Eddie was dumbfounded. Then the taxi driver said, "It has always been my dream to someday drive a bus like this. My whole life I have this one dream." Eddie then says.."His name is Javier, we brought him back, trained him, and he has been our bus driver for 15 years" Everyone cheers at an obviously great story. Then eddie sheepishly says.."Its all true, every word, except hiring him and him being our driver for the last 15 years....but I felt the story needed an ending"...and Ed stated that he thinks about Javier alot..pretty funny story.

In the cab driver story, the quote was (regarding the bus) "You have all the accoutrements?"

I thought the show was amazing. I didn't go to to the LA shows so I'm a bit blown away that people are saying that LA was better. That's possible?

I'm also surprised that some people are saying the crowd was bad. Everyone around me (row P) looked really into it and the crowd always sounded enthusiastic to me. Maybe a little laid back, but in a very positive way. Also, the "hecklers" to me seemed totally ok. I've read on here about how disruptive and annoying they were at other shows but I didn't feel that they detracted from the San Diego experience at all. I didn't notice *anyone* yelling during the songs - just in between. And I thought that the shout outs actually contributed to the interactivity and fun spirit of the show.

I'm going tonight too... I'm wondering if the experience can be as good a second time... I hope so!
  • Options
    tombellancatombellanca Posts: 117
    NiteLite10 wrote:
    I've read on here about how disruptive and annoying they were at other shows but I didn't feel that they detracted from the San Diego experience at all. I didn't notice *anyone* yelling during the songs - just in between. And I thought that the shout outs actually contributed to the interactivity and fun spirit of the show.

I totally agree. It gave Ed some fodder to talk about and we even got a bar of 'Dirty Frank' and Gremmie Out of Control.

The funniest was the "go yankees" scream, the whole crowd boo'd and then a RedSox fan had to pipe in that their team was the best. Kinda took Ed off track from his story, but still pretty good crowd reactions.
    6/24/95, 11/4/95, 11/7/95, 7/10/98, 7/12/98, 7/13/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/27/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/7/06. 7/9/06, 7/10/06
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    VF_Scott wrote:

Hey

Hey Baby

I want to lick you

I want to lick you all over like an ice cream cone

I want to kiss you and lick you....

Is that a rope by the bed? Are we getting freaky tonight, baby?

Why are you making a noose baby?

I didn't know you could make a noose baby.

Are you going to kill yourself baby?

Are you going to kill me baby?

:eek: :eek:
    Oh my, I wish I coulda been there. Hilarious. and hottttttttttt
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    The funniest was the "go yankees" scream, the whole crowd boo'd and then a RedSox fan had to pipe in that their team was the best. Kinda took Ed off track from his story, but still pretty good crowd reactions.

Funniest part of that, there were a few yells for the Cubs too, but not one for the Padres!

As others have said, great show. Ed started off by saying he was so hungover his hair hurt, but he really put himself into it. I thought the crowd (I was in row N) was into it too, and the shouters were put in their place pretty quick. Sucked getting out of betd at 6am this morning, but I'm looking forward to tonight.

Liam Finn will be on the radio sometime this afternoon too, 94.9 in San Diego, you can stream on http://www.fm949sd.com.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    Hello , Longtime lurker here but I had to post a review to this show . NUmber 1 it was by far better than I could ever had expected.2. I had a great time before and after the show. I was sitting in seat L seat 24 and 26 right on the aisle. We had no problems seeing all the action . Thank you Ten Club. I met two girls from my home state fo Maine. I wanted to say hello to them if they read this. what I really wanted to post here was my experience after the show. My son and I left exiting the side door right by our seats. IT was a tunnel of sorts ; midway up the hall there is a little door that leads directly to the backstage area. I peered in there and could see equipment and stuff. As we walked up the corridor there was a couple ahead of us noone behind. The couple exited and turned right . My son and I got to the street and turned left . I wanted to walk back to my car and avoid the crowd out in front of the venue. There was a big 18 wheeler and a bus parked there. I figured it was Eddie's bus but never expected what happened next. There against the wall was a woman in a wheel chair. There was a couple of people next to her and one guy in a "white smock" there was also a guy that came out of the bus and was looking at us nervously as we approached. He was the driver , I could tell the way he was dressed. His body language indicated he wanted to stop us from proceding and that is when I saw Eddie. I told my son to be cool. We walked right up to Eddie as he was stooped over the wheel chair signing an autograph. I got right up to him and said" Eddie that was a really great show man" He looked up at us and said " Thanks man . thank you guys for comeing out and seenig it " I was blown away as was my 18 year old son. We let him take care of his buisness with the lady . Then more people started coming out and Eddie dashed off jumped in the bus and was gone!!!! It was the topper for an excellent night. I have always wondered what I would say if I met Eddie Vedder and now I know. It wouldhave been nice to get an auto graph or a picture but the lady in the chair came first . So fellow fans if you want to catch of glimpse of Eddie other than on stage or meet him get out of the venue fast and down to that side door , he will come out and leaves fast!!!! If you girls form Maine , Sarah want to come down to SOCAL during the next tour e-mail me stay in contact and I will love to show you around , you guys made my night also , you guys almost made me home sick ...almost. My favorites were LUkin, Arc, Hide your love away, Society, Hard Sun , Liam is good too don't miss him . As other posters have said Eddie is incredibly funny . I hope the band comes back to the West Coast for us but I know I will probably never see such a great artist up close.
    Scott
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Hey, Scott! Awesome post!! Thanks for sharing your story! Lucky guy!! :)
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    merkinball wrote:
    Sucked getting out of betd at 6am this morning, but I'm looking forward to tonight.

My thoughts exactly!! Where are your seats tonight?
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    ZAPPERZAPPER Posts: 246
    great show aside from jackasses screaming dumb stuff, i think everyone here covered the whole show.......

BTW - if anyone plans on witing in line early for posters, shirts, zippos, and whatnot - let me inform u folks of what happened before the doors opened :

naturally, everyone lined up early as usual, there were lots of people waiting for a long time, and we got in line at 530, about 50th in line - security walkie talkie man told us doors would open at 730....everyone around us including us were thinking WTF? So we're going to wait out here for 2 hrs? So whatever, people hung out, went to quiznos or whatever - but, heres the bummer -

at about 725, the doors opened and a whole bunch of people that DIDNT wait in line just smashed their way into the front doors, these were people that were just standing in front of the theater, had no respect for any of the 300 + people in line, and even worse, security didnt give a shit. I know a lot of people waited in that line for a long time, only to get cut off by cheaters who are "better" than those of us waiting in line.

bottom line - AWESOME SHOW - Shitty SD folk.........but thats my opinion and my feelings on it.

.......but nothing will ever top Berk2 show!!!!!
    Previously known as Elzar
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    TallGuyCM wrote:
    ...the crowd was LAME! After the boisterous rowdiness that was both LA shows, this San Diego crowd was practically mute, like they didn't even want Eddie to be there! .

I might actually prefer that after LA ... "Foosteps!!! Play Footsteps!!!" "Dissident!!!!!" "Play Patriot! Play I am a Patriot."

It was easy to ignore for half the show ... but all night long, holy fuck that was annoying. I don't know how Ed puts up with you people. Seriously.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    even tho it may sound kinda wrong - but if you do want to buy something, i suggest you DONT wait 2, 3, 4 hours and just cheat like those assholes
  • Options
    I might actually prefer that after LA ... "Foosteps!!! Play Footsteps!!!" "Dissident!!!!!" "Play Patriot! Play I am a Patriot."

It was easy to ignore for half the show ... but all night long, holy fuck that was annoying. I don't know how Ed puts up with you people. Seriously.

SERIOUSLY - some people need to get slapped and just STFU - like someone else said, no one came to hear those jackasses, we all came to see ed, liam & EJ - but im sure Ed and the rest of the crew (especially the merch guys, quote from long haired merch dude : "This Fukn sucks!!!") are glad its almost done.
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    I'm not worried about getting overpriced merch today. If I see something I really like I'm gonna buy it on EBAY.

...Because we all know that all the merch will be available on EBAY by tommorow morning.

Can't wait for tonight!
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    ZAPPER wrote:
    (especially the merch guys, quote from long haired merch dude : "This Fukn sucks!!!") are glad its almost done.

man that dude is cranky...he was cranky in sb and was last night.....hell a cute chick gave him a kiss and you would have thought she kicked his cat :)
  • Options
    DannaCaliDannaCali los angeles Posts: 51
    Hi,

I'm looking for an extra ticket for today and / or a ride back to l.a....

if anyone has anything or knows how to get one, please call me at 818-2626542

thank you!!!
    FAN CLUB #180XXX
    9.29.1996 new york - Randall's island
    8.23.2000 new york - jones beach
    8.24.2000 new york - jones beach
    6.2.2003 los angeles - Irvine Amphitheatre
    6.3.2003 los angeles - Irvine Amphitheatre
    6.5.2003 san diego - sports arena
    6.6.2003 las vegas - MGM grand
    7.6.2006 las vegas - MGM grand
    7.7.20006 san diego - Viejas arena
    7.9.2006 los angeles - the LA forum
    7.10.2006 los angeles - the LA forum
    7.12.2008 los angeles - UCLA Pauley pavilion - VH1 rock honors: The Who
    7.15. 2006 San Francisco - BILL GRAHAM CIVIC AUDITORIUM
    7.16. 2006 San Francisco - BILL GRAHAM CIVIC AUDITORIUM
    7.18. 2006 San Francisco - BILL GRAHAM CIVIC AUDITORIUM
    6.25.2008 New York - MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
    6.24.2008 New York - MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
    10.9.20006 san diego - Viejas arena
    5.20.2008 New York - MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
    5.21.2008 New York - MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
    9.4.2011 Wisconsin - alpine valley PJ20 *
    9.3.2011 Wisconsin - alpine valley PJ20 *
    7.7.2012 Stockholm, Sweden *
    7.10.2012 Copenhagen, Denmark *
    11.19. 2013 Phoenix, AZ - Jobing Arena *
    11.21.2013 San Diego - Viejas arena *
    11.23.2013 los angeles - LA sports arena *
    11.24.2013 los angeles - LA sports arena *
    11.26.2013 Oakland - Oracle Arena *
    11.29.2013 Portland, OR - Rose Garden *
    6.25.2014 Vienna, Austria - Stadhalle *
    10.22.2014 Denver, CO - Pepsi center *
    and many more... 

8.10.2018 - Seattle home show #2

EV - 07.05.11 Copley Symphony Hall San Diego
    EV - 07.06.11 Terrace Theater Long Beach, CA
    EV - 07.08.11 The Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA. 
    EV - 11.04.12 Coamerica theatre, phoenix, AZ
    EV - 08.27-28.16 Ohana Festival - Dana Point CA. 
    EV - 09.8-10.17 Ohana Festival - Dana Point CA. 

and many more... 

Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/dannakinsky/
    facebook : http://www.facebook.com/primelens
    twitter : http://twitter.com/dannakinsky

• Options
    I was very happy to see all of the folks who came in for Liam and Eliza Jane's set! The younger Finn rocked the house in his own way. He displayed his chops on guitar and drums with Ed, also!

Eddie's guitar tech comes out wearing the white lab coat. I think he resembles Ed ever so slightly on a glance to the side. Eddie may need someone to care for him after he announces that he's grandly hung-over. When you tell someone that your HAIR hurts - it's got to be bad. BUT if you had fun; it was all worth it.

When someone yelled, "Stay classy San Diego!" I think it set the tone for Eddie needing some, hair-of-the-dog. The bronze bat-wings even looked kind of slumped over and sluggish. Using his 'condition' to his advantage; he started doing stand-up comedy. The crowd was miraculously quiet to the point that you could actually HEAR what Ed was saying! This is a rarity to anyone who's been to a concert where very little chat could be deciphered.

I considered it more of a treat and a platform for Vedder to say what was on his mind at the moment, what he wanted - when he wanted. (The little tangent with the Barry White song was very funny!) The crowd responded in-kind. All-in-all it was a respectful audience. He wanted us to keep the roar down to a decent level. We cleared the way for a guy who hadn't slept enough, to go on and entertain the hell out of us!
    Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Iceekid wrote:

well done noob...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    My buddy couldn't go to the show last night and I was bummed for him . An hour ago I was online here and punched San Diego into the search engine adn came up with a thread of tix for tonight's show on Ticketmaster. I logged on and scored a ticket in the orchestra section row R . I am hooking him up with a seat for the last show . Unbelievable the luck .!!!!!
  • Options
    RockerJRockerJ Posts: 12
    hey everyone, i've been lurkin here for awhile and the totally awesome preformance last night has motivated me to join the fun. i went to the show with my dad, a long time pj fan and 10c member. we roll up to the theater and get our ticks from the will call table...5th row dead center! doors opened later than i would have expected. i picked up a poster and some stickers and went to find my seats. the venue was amazing...so small, beautiful artwork. liam finn was really good, his surfer jam was out of control. around 9: 15ish, a weird cover version of Elderly woman(anyone figure out who was singing that) came on and ed walked out. you all know the setlist and have heard the best of the stories...though i think you guys left the part of the barry white thing where eddie went, " IM AN ICE CREAM CONE LICKIN BAD MOTHERFUCKA!" he was hilarious. i was expecting the crowd to be a lot worse than it was from what i read on here, but it wasnt that bad. if anyone got out of hand, eddie shut them up.masters of war was immaculate. i was kinda surprised to see the lack of singing on No More, but it was all good. this was probably the best show i have, and ever will see in my entire life and i feel blessed to have seen it. i am praying for anytype of recording to surface. oh, and during the downtime after liams set, i reached under my seat to get my water and i found an EV guitar pick...pretty sweet
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,051
    still digesting last night's amazing show. Met some great people before the show and the fund-raiser and trying to get my arse back there in a few minutes...hoping SD 2 was just as perfect as SD 1. Just wanted to throw a big thank you to the 10c and EV himself for giving us this once in a lifetime opportunity.
  • Options
    magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    Another great quote . . .Ed was talking about conservatives, and his quote was something like "Compassionate Conservative . . .that's like saying Male Chauvinist Lesbian"
  • Options
    magikev wrote:
    Another great quote . . .Ed was talking about conservatives, and his quote was something like "Compassionate Conservative . . .that's like saying Male Chauvinist Lesbian"

what about "chiropractic gynecology" :eek: only ed could find that book :D
  • Options
    socalpalsocalpal Posts: 2
    cutback wrote:
    what about "chiropractic gynecology" :eek: only ed could find that book :D

LOL. I also loved Eddie's impression of how exactly that would be performed on someone.

I know some folks have mentioned that the crowd last night was a little low key, but I think out of respect for Eddie, we were just trying to contain ourselves and be good to him. After all, he was giving us everything he had and more, and I was just in awe to be there to see him- my friend and I were second row, center. Definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity!
  • Options
    socalpal wrote:
    LOL. I also loved Eddie's impression of how exactly that would be performed on someone.

I know some folks have mentioned that the crowd last night was a little low key, but I think out of respect for Eddie, we were just trying to contain ourselves and be good to him. After all, he was giving us everything he had and more, and I was just in awe to be there to see him- my friend and I were second row, center. Definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity!

:D eddie should do a standup tour next....dude is a riot :D

and the crowd was ok but maybe it was who was around me.....i mean it's ok during porch to get up and rock....it's required to scream "NO MORE" as loud as you can....i wasn't getting much of that towards the back....but if you were up front and felt it then all is good...:)

I WANNA GO TONIGHT!!!! :(
  • Options
    ...BTW, I thought that all the Shhhh'ing was more annoying than the random shouts.

The venue was really cool, but the feel of the show was even better...I felt like it would feel no different if we were in a living room and he was just playing on an acoustic drinking that red juice of his...as long as the living room were designed like a theatre.

He absolutely NAILED Masters of War. I mean nailed it!

Rise was my own personal highlight, even though he fucked up the last line of the song, its quite possibly the most uplifting song I have every heard. Hearing it live was like putting a face to a name.

*Comedic note: Ed started smoking a cigarette before the Barry WHite thing..someone shouts, "What are you smoking!?" to which Ed replies (very quickly), "Something goooood."

I'm Open was also an absolute treat. I didn't see that one coming at ALL!

He opened I Am Mine with a little instrumental that just sounded very very cool (anyone notice how he played that?) It was simple, but I really liked it.

And I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but before he started one of his songs, he did about a 10-15 second snippet of Photographs (bonus track from Itunes). I was thrilled about that!!

I had no expectations heading into the show. I think that allowed me to truly enjoy the experience of the "experiment". I also thought that the seated crowd was great. I've never ever sat at a concert before...I relate it to being in a classroom, just soaking in a lecture or a discussion that you actually cared about. Remember those? I feel like I was able to retain the experience more in that respect.
    Thanks...
    can't keep me here...
  • Options
    magikev wrote:

Okay, so the show kicked ass. Eddie was super funny. But first, here's the cool part: 10C screwed up some of the seats, and put my girlfriend and I in separate rows (she was right in front of me). Well, we politely complained (I tried being very nice, as normally I don't make a big deal about these things) and THEY PUT US IN THE FRONT ROW!!!!!! It was crazy.

The same thing happened to my mom and me. We just asked the 10C girls about it when we picked up the tickets and they didn't know what was going on so we just accepted it. It was ok though because we were in the third and forth rows (behind each other) left orch on the isle (near center)!!!! They were awesome seats because they were at an angle so no one was in front of us. Thanks 10C!!!!
    The show was amazing! It is the only one for me on this tour and I could not have asked for anything else. Ed was sooooo funny the entire time and his voice sounded great.
    At first, I was a little disappointed that there were no "special guests" like the other shows but then I realized that it was cool because we probably wouldn't have gotten to hear Patriot or Rock 'n' Roll Star (my third time hearing it).
    Everyone pretty much mentioned all the other highlights but the whole show was beautiful!
    THANKS EDDIE!!!!!!!!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    14th row dead center. Great fucking show and I loved the city of San Diego. Great times and I so wanna go back soon. LA smells too much like piss everywhere. lol