Options

***Official Led Zeppelin Thread***

Comments

• Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Really into Houses of the Holy right now
    The Rain Song. That's all I need to say. One of my favorites by them.

Ohhhh yeah... That main riff in "The Ocean" is one of the best ever.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Newch91 wrote:
    It's been 9 months and I have yet to listen to "Celebration Day" on vinyl. That may change tomorrow night.

Put on a diaper or keep some extra pants and wetnaps handy. It's that good.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    DewieCox wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    It's been 9 months and I have yet to listen to "Celebration Day" on vinyl. That may change tomorrow night.

Put on a diaper or keep some extra pants and wetnaps handy. It's that good.
    Duly noted.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options

I can still recall the day- I was in grade 9- when my buddy and I sat in his room and he placed this on the turntable.

I had been playing the hell out of Zeppelin II and Zeppelin IV and it was about this time... hearing this album... when I knew this was the greatest band ever. I rarely listen to these guys anymore, but they still get my vote for best band ever out of sheer respect. They held my sole attention the longest of anyone.

Over the Hills and Far Away... what an incredible song.

Aside from II, IV, and Houses... add in: In Through the Out Door, I, III, and Physical Graffiti... that's too impressive an array to even come close too. In my mind... they are incomparable.

Their 'duds' (Coda and Presence) are fine albums by any other band's standard.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

I can still recall the day- I was in grade 9- when my buddy and I sat in his room and he placed this on the turntable.

I had been playing the hell out of Zeppelin II and Zeppelin IV and it was about this time... hearing this album... when I knew this was the greatest band ever. I rarely listen to these guys anymore, but they still get my vote for best band ever out of sheer respect. They held my sole attention the longest of anyone.

Aside from II, IV, and Houses... add in: In Through the Out Door, I, III, and Physical Graffiti... that's too impressive an array to even come close too. In my mind... they are incomparable.

Any album with For Your Life, Achilles, and Nobody's Fault But Mine is far from a dud. I think it easily surpasses ITTOD and compares pretty well with most of theirrevious work.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

Any album with For Your Life, Achilles, and Nobody's Fault But Mine is far from a dud. I think it easily surpasses ITTOD and compares pretty well with most of theirrevious work.

Now remember... I said 'duds' (as per the mainstream sentiments)... not duds.

But with that said... In the Evening and All My Love trump the Presence songs you listed and Poor Tom and We're Gonna Groove from Coda. In my world of course!
  • Options

But with that said... In the Evening and All My Love trump the Presence songs you listed and Poor Tom and We're Gonna Groove from Coda. In my world of course!

I'm not gonna tear down ITTOD, but I guess I just completely disagree with you. I'm not sure there is any song in their catalog that trumps Achilles, even those 2 songs together.

And while were talking about it, I think Coda is pretty sweet. The songs you mention and Ozone Baby deserve a spot on earlier albums.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I'm not gonna tear down ITTOD, but I guess I just completely disagree with you. I'm not sure there is any song in their catalog that trumps Achilles, even those 2 songs together.

And while were talking about it, I think Coda is pretty sweet. The songs you mention and Ozone Baby deserve a spot on earlier albums.

Ozone Baby... outstanding tune.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

Not a big Achilles fan, but to each their own.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    Just finishing up How the West Was Won.

head-explode-o.gif
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Is it weird of me to say I need a new pair of underwear after listening to the first side of the first LP of "Celebration Day"?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Is it weird of me to say I need a new pair of underwear after listening to the first side of the first LP of "Celebration Day"?

Weird, but not uncommon. :lol: I told you to wear a diaper, man.
  • Options
    :shock: :shock: :mrgreen::mrgreen:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zepp ... -box-sets/

LED ZEPPELIN READYING UNRELEASED MATERIAL FOR NEW BOX SETS
    by Jeff Giles November 15, 2013 8:45 AM

Hang onto your wallets, Led Zeppelin fans: 2014 promises to bring a mother lode of newly remastered and previously unreleased material, all spread out over a series of box sets devoted to each of the band’s albums.

Jimmy Page has been holed up in the studio poring over Zeppelin’s archives, and he recently revealed during an interview with TeamRock Radio (via Blabbermouth) that he’s completed the remastering process — with a twist. “Each of the albums has been remastered but it also has a companion disc with it,” he explained. “Let’s take, for example, ‘Led Zeppelin III’ — that’s remastered from analog from the original thing. I know everybody does that, but what they don’t do: I revisited all the working mixes that were done at the time.”

What that means for fans, Page explained, is that each of the group’s original LPs will receive an exhaustively comprehensive upgrade. “There’s different versions,” he continued. “Say, for example, there’s ‘Since I’ve Been Loving You’ — there’s an incredible version of that which is totally different, it’s really raw in its approach, it’s quite dramatic, it’s cool. That’s one little item of it, but what it gives is a companion disc to ‘Led Zeppelin III.’ It’ll come out in its own box and all the rest of it. Each disc will give a really intimate picture of the group. That’s the idea that I’ve had with it and I think it’s successful.”

Saying that “the sonic side” of the project is finished, Page promised that each box set would be released separately in 2014. And as for those rumors of unreleased material? “Oh yeah,” he nodded, although he was reluctant to provide any information about the songs. “I can’t tell you,” he demurred when pressed for details. “It’s got to be a little bit of a surprise, I can’t give all the games away.”
  • Options
    :shock: ...YAY UH!!!

Ummmm.....Here's my blank check Mr. Page.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    I guess i better start saving! ALL of their albums in one year?! :shock:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    :shock: ...YAY UH!!!

Ummmm.....Here's my blank check Mr. Page.
    +1. I'm really interested in that other version of "Since I Been Loving You" that he mentions.
  • Options
    Sometimes you just need to do a Zeppelin album run.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I guess i better start saving! ALL of their albums in one year?! :shock:

Great. Just great.

Now I'll have to sell my Sevens box set to clear up some funds. :lol:
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Hang onto your wallets, Led Zeppelin fans: 2014 promises to bring a mother lode of newly remastered and previously unreleased material, all spread out over a series of box sets devoted to each of the band’s albums.

Jimmy Page has been holed up in the studio poring over Zeppelin’s archives, and he recently revealed during an interview with TeamRock Radio (via Blabbermouth) that he’s completed the remastering process — with a twist. “Each of the albums has been remastered but it also has a companion disc with it,” he explained. “Let’s take, for example, ‘Led Zeppelin III’ — that’s remastered from analog from the original thing. I know everybody does that, but what they don’t do: I revisited all the working mixes that were done at the time.”

What that means for fans, Page explained, is that each of the group’s original LPs will receive an exhaustively comprehensive upgrade. “There’s different versions,” he continued. “Say, for example, there’s ‘Since I’ve Been Loving You’ — there’s an incredible version of that which is totally different, it’s really raw in its approach, it’s quite dramatic, it’s cool. That’s one little item of it, but what it gives is a companion disc to ‘Led Zeppelin III.’ It’ll come out in its own box and all the rest of it. Each disc will give a really intimate picture of the group. That’s the idea that I’ve had with it and I think it’s successful.”

Saying that “the sonic side” of the project is finished, Page promised that each box set would be released separately in 2014. And as for those rumors of unreleased material? “Oh yeah,” he nodded, although he was reluctant to provide any information about the songs. “I can’t tell you,” he demurred when pressed for details. “It’s got to be a little bit of a surprise, I can’t give all the games away.”

close-up-of-an-amazed-young-adult.jpg
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

I need something like this from these guys. It pains me to say this, but over the past two years or so, I've kinda been "over" Led Zeppelin. I'm not sure why. Maybe I've overplayed them but I've overplayed The Beatles and Pink Floyd over the years and never felt disenchanted with them. There's even been occasions where I've thrown in a Zeppelin CD, listened for less than a minute and then didn't feel like listening anymore. I don't know what it is. It's not that I don't appreciate them and if you asked me to list my favorite bands, they still fight it out with Pink Floyd for 3rd place behind PJ and The Beatles. But.....I just haven't been listening to them. Maybe this 2014 thing will relight the fire for me. Hopefully.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Saw them twice 75 Nassau Colliseum & 77 MSG , These two shows could still be two of my all time favs ....Specially 77 they did an acustic set in the middle part of the concert mind blowing ,,,

Really brings back lots of memories, and I still listen to them, got one of many of their cd's in my car cd player right now.. Never got a chance to see them though. :( That would've been awesome!!! It was a perfect time to be a stoner... :mrgreen:;):lol:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    Saw them twice 75 Nassau Colliseum & 77 MSG , These two shows could still be two of my all time favs ....Specially 77 they did an acustic set in the middle part of the concert mind blowing ,,,

Really brings back lots of memories, and I still listen to them, got one of many of their cd's in my car cd player right now.. Never got a chance to see them though. :( That would've been awesome!!! It was a perfect time to be a stoner... :mrgreen:;):lol:

My friends and I wore out many cassettes and records. In particular... II.

We never had the chance to see Zeppelin, but one of the best concerts I ever saw was Robert Plant in Vancouver, 1988. For a million reasons.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    http://www.q1043.com/articles/q1043-mus ... -11852478/

Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" has long been the focus of rumors suggesting that if you play the song backwards you could hear messages urging you to follow the devil. Well, according to Dangerous Minds, Dutch artist Jeroen Offerman spent three months learning how to sing the song backwards before filming himself performing the song backwards and reversing the footage in a video called "Stairway at St. Paul's."

Ultimate Classic Rock reports that the video of Offerman singing "Stairway to Heaven" backwards was originally published in 2005, but is just now going viral. Watch the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NePC8TFbCvg
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,338
    god i am such an asshole. over the years i've lost most of my zeppelin cd's. the only ones i uploaded to itunes were I, IV, houses of the holy, bbc sessions, and in through the out door.

for whatever reason i never replace the other ones until today when i went on an itunes binge.

ANYWHO........now i'm in a zeppelin frame of mind and am looking for a new book to read. what's the definitive zeppelin biograhpy?

when gods walked the earth or hammer of gods?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    god i am such an asshole. over the years i've lost most of my zeppelin cd's. the only ones i uploaded to itunes were I, IV, houses of the holy, bbc sessions, and in through the out door.

for whatever reason i never replace the other ones until today when i went on an itunes binge.

ANYWHO........now i'm in a zeppelin frame of mind and am looking for a new book to read. what's the definitive zeppelin biograhpy?

when gods walked the earth or hammer of gods?

Haven't read when... but Hammer was awesome.

Stairway to Heaven was decent as well.
  • Options
    I've read Hammer of the Gods and it's a decent read, but pretty much dismissed as fantasy by the band members.

The wife got me Light and Shade:Conversations w/Jimmy Page, as an Xmas gift last year and it was pretty cool. It basically took the best chunks out of a lot of Guitar World interviews, but there is some new stuff and bits from other articles. Pretty cool and an easy read. Depending on how much Zep knowledge you have, there is quite a bit of info on the making of the albums and the creative process.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    I've read Hammer of the Gods and it's a decent read, but pretty much dismissed as fantasy by the band members.

The wife got me Light and Shade:Conversations w/Jimmy Page, as an Xmas gift last year and it was pretty cool. It basically took the best chunks out of a lot of Guitar World interviews, but there is some new stuff and bits from other articles. Pretty cool and an easy read. Depending on how much Zep knowledge you have, there is quite a bit of info on the making of the albums and the creative process.

It read much like Stairway to Heaven- which was written by Richard Cole (the band's tour manager). They might have wanted to dismiss much of it given the content.
  • Options
    I have yet to buy "Light and Shade," but last year for Christmas I got "Led Zeppelin: The Oral History of the World's Greatest Rock Band." I still have to read that, but that may change in a few weeks when winter break rolls around.
  • Options
    Exciting!!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-reissues-2/

LED ZEPPELIN REISSUES WILL CONTINUE IN 2015
    by Jeff Giles January 2, 2014 9:00 AM

The Led Zeppelin remasters that Jimmy Page has been working on will start seeing the light of day in 2014 — but it’ll take a little longer than we initially believed for all of them to arrive in stores.

Page shared the good news, bad news in an update on his website, writing, “The first of the Led Zeppelin reissues — comprising of ‘Led Zeppelin I,’ ‘Led Zeppelin II’ and ‘Led Zeppelin III’ — will be released this year. I’ve also been working on some of my own material from the archives that will be unleashed in 2014.”

The amended release schedule makes sense from a label perspective, as it gives Atlantic Records more time to fully promote each release while reducing the risk of flooding the marketplace with so many deluxe Zeppelin boxes at once that fans won’t be able to buy them all. Still, it’s at least a little disappointing, given that Page’s previous comments seemed to indicate that the entire run of reissues would come out in 2014.

There’s still no word on what exactly we can expect to find inside each box, although Page has been fairly vocal in his belief that the new versions boast vastly improved sound, and unreleased material is rumored for each album in the series. Page’s promise of solo archival releases is intriguing too — given how sporadically he’s released his own material over the years, it seems safe to assume there’s no shortage of tapes in his personal vaults.
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Very happy to find a decent copy of this on vinyl recently...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Fuck it sounds good!
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.