these fools are gonna try and take over wall street

Comments

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    does anyone know what they are protesting? for something? against something? I don't get it.
    It's frustrating to read this question over and over again...this has been going on for what? Nearly two months? and every single time it's been asked,it's answered almost exactly the same way:
    The folks occupying Wall Street, or whatever street, are protesting the inequities in our society.

If you believe that the millionaires should be given more tax breaks then go ahead and support the rich.

If you believe that the unemployed and the poor need help then listen up.
    That's from the previous page.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but the question always strikes me as intellectual laziness, since it's the same question the media has been repeating ad nauseum since this started.
    I don't even understand why someone would oppose the protests...why oppose people voicing their opinions? what's wrong with that?
    Yes, if you have a beef, it's your RIGHT to go down there and hold up a sign. And I would say good for you.

well considering you live nowhere near here...i would say believe me and the news i watch every night
    ...because the news would never use the same hyperbole you just did....they would never mislead anyone to fit an agenda....
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    polaris_x wrote:
    dude ... you see things the way you want to see them ... it's cool ... but these protestors need to eat - you telling me not one business has benefited from a massive influx of people!? ... c'mon ...

i dunno, if i was a local shop owner in that immediate area, i would be more concerned with protecting my shop, than opening it up to these "people."

how close were they to a full riot yesterday? the last thing i would want is for someone to hurl bricks through my windows and loot what is mine.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

well considering you live nowhere near here...i would say believe me and the news i watch every night
    ...because the news would never use the same hyperbole you just did....they would never mislead anyone to fit an agenda....

they have the store owners on tv ..wtf are you talking about???

please ..nobody is going to the stores in the area because they are being harassed by these bums...hence the stores are losing a ton of money and thus laying people off work

i know you just like to dispute everything i say..but you are clueless on this topic
    all you know is what you see on the internet...i live and work 5 minutes away
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Personally I'd believe someone who actually works in the area over someone who is just watching the news. I haven't been in that area since Labor Day weekend, so I have no idea what is going on other than what the news tells me.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    does anyone know what they are protesting? for something? against something? I don't get it.
    It's frustrating to read this question over and over again...this has been going on for what? Nearly two months? and every single time it's been asked,it's answered almost exactly the same way:
    The folks occupying Wall Street, or whatever street, are protesting the inequities in our society.

If you believe that the millionaires should be given more tax breaks then go ahead and support the rich.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but the question always strikes me as intellectual laziness, since it's the same question the media has been repeating ad nauseum since this started.
    I don't even understand why someone would oppose the protests...why oppose people voicing their opinions? what's wrong with that?
    Yes, if you have a beef, it's your RIGHT to go down there and hold up a sign. And I would say good for you.

Intellectual laziness? I am all for people being able to speak out about things, but they have been at this for a while and we still don't get what they are protesting, it doesn't make sense. And without a good cause, they are just inconveniencing people for no reason.
  • I'm sorry, but the answer you quoted is such an over-the-top attempt to make it seem like the 1% are evil and the protesters are angels. I don't think people here who disagree with the protesters have ever advocated more tax breaks for the wealthy. I am not aware of anyone in this country pushing for increased tax cuts at all, really. That argument is no different than saying anyone who votes for medicinal marijuana is in favor of handing out bongs in kindergarten.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

by the way..someone slashed a cop yesterday :roll:

very peaceful
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

please ..nobody is going to the stores in the area because they are being harassed by these bums...hence the stores are losing a ton of money and thus laying people off work

i know you just like to dispute everything i say..but you are clueless on this topic
    I'm talking about you exaggerating to fit your agenda...which is probably the same thing the media is doing. I'm sure not 'every single business in the area is hurting and laying people off'. But it helps your angle to say so.

I'd like to check some stats on that....and compare the number of people laid off to the number of people laid off by the shady practices of the companies you just mentioned. I don't see you screaming bloody murder about the banks....

I understand that this protest somewhat lacks focus as far as a list of demands, or solutions go. I understand that they are inconveniencing people.
    And you know what? I didn't read a single article, or watch ten seconds of footage of what went on yesterday.
    I'm simply saying that the outrage some of you people are voicing against the protesters is seriously disproportionate to the outrage over, say, the bonuses handed out to bank execs after the bailouts, or a million other examples of this broken system.
    It's having your bus delayed by a protest that's gonna get you to stand up to injustice?

I'm talking about you exaggerating to fit your agenda...which is probably the same thing the media is doing. I'm sure not 'every single business in the area is hurting and laying people off'. But it helps your angle to say so.

I'd like to check some stats on that....and compare the number of people laid off to the number of people laid off by the shady practices of the companies you just mentioned. I don't see you screaming bloody murder about the banks....

I understand that this protest somewhat lacks focus as far as a list of demands, or solutions go. I understand that they are inconveniencing people.
    And you know what? I didn't read a single article, or watch ten seconds of footage of what went on yesterday.
    I'm simply saying that the outrage some of you people are voicing against the protesters is seriously disproportionate to the outrage over, say, the bonuses handed out to bank execs after the bailouts, or a million other examples of this broken system.
    It's having your bus delayed by a protest that's gonna get you to stand up to injustice?

:?:
    i have no idea what he is talking about

come and live in the area for a week and see how you feel
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    rival. wrote:
    i dunno, if i was a local shop owner in that immediate area, i would be more concerned with protecting my shop, than opening it up to these "people."

how close were they to a full riot yesterday? the last thing i would want is for someone to hurl bricks through my windows and loot what is mine.

i have no doubt some businesses have lost money and if i worked at say the GAP - i'd be worried too ... i definitely think the components are there for a full scale riot ... but we're talking about a culture that riots over sporting events here ... you don't need a big spark to light the fire ...

at the end of the day tho - the question you have to ask yourself is this: are there problems with the current political economic system that need to be changed? ... if yes - how do you propose those changes be made and the problems be heard?

the fact you don't understand what he is saying probably should indicate to you why you are so against this movement ...
    polaris_x wrote:

the fact you don't understand what he is saying probably should indicate to you why you are so against this movement ...

excellent point. because he is making no more sense than the protesters.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    :?:
    well stated :roll:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    excellent point. because he is making no more sense than the protesters.

i understood him perfectly ...
    polaris_x wrote:

more like i stopped reading it after the first sentence

all you people who live nowhere near here have no clue whats really going on

i see it everyday with my own eyes

im not saying don't protest....just do it in a better way
    harassing the hard working people and peoplle who live in the area is not being productive
    I am with you on this neily. Seems like a protest for no apparent reason. either say something or go home.
    more like i stopped reading it after the first sentence

all you people who live nowhere near here have no clue whats really going on

i see it everyday with my own eyes

im not saying don't protest....just do it in a better way
    harassing the hard working people and peoplle who live in the area is not being productive

my gf lives in NY and i'm there like once a month ... she was down there yesterday and has been down there often ...
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I am with you on this neily. Seems like a protest for no apparent reason. either say something or go home.

dude ... at least neily acknowledges the need for a protest ... he just doesn't agree with the methods ... perhaps you should figure out why there are people protesting!?
    polaris_x wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

dude ... at least neily acknowledges the need for a protest ... he just doesn't agree with the methods ... perhaps you should figure out why there are people protesting!?

that is my point, I can't figure it out, makes no sense to me. I can see no main issue, I don't see what they are trying to accomplish. They haven't given me a reason to want to support them.
    polaris_x wrote:
    at the end of the day tho - the question you have to ask yourself is this: are there problems with the current political economic system that need to be changed? ... if yes - how do you propose those changes be made and the problems be heard?

huge problem with the current economic system, i don't think anyone is questioning that around here. i work for a gigantic corporation and if i got called into my boss's office today and was told that my job was being eliminated because of the "system," i would be pissed, but at the end of the day i would dust myself off and actively look for another job, i would not cry foul, pitch a tent in a public park waiting for a handout. i worked too hard and spent too much money on my college degree (that i am still paying for 5 years after i graduated) to sit on my ass and do nothing with it.

if nothing showed up in my field after X-amount of time, i would have to compromise with myself and take a job that i would be way over qualified for and way underpaid for. why? because again, at the end of the day, i am responsible for my own actions and putting food on my plate.

we all make our own fate it seems these protestors are not willing to make certain compromises to better theirs.
    rival. wrote:
    huge problem with the current economic system, i don't think anyone is questioning that around here. i work for a gigantic corporation and if i got called into my boss's office today and was told that my job was being eliminated because of the "system," i would be pissed, but at the end of the day i would dust myself off and actively look for another job, i would not cry foul, pitch a tent in a public park waiting for a handout. i worked too hard and spent too much money on my college degree (that i am still paying for 5 years after i graduated) to sit on my ass and do nothing with it.

if nothing showed up in my field after X-amount of time, i would have to compromise with myself and take a job that i would be way over qualified for and way underpaid for. why? because again, at the end of the day, i am responsible for my own actions and putting food on my plate.

we all make our own fate it seems these protestors are not willing to make that compromise.

sooo ... basically you are saying the system is flawed but that's just the way it is ... !?? ... don't do anything about it ... just take it!?
    they have some goood points but no organization

as for this zucotti park....it started off normal 2 months ago,but it became 70% convicts and druggies with nowhere to go looking for trouble

girls were being raped and needles were all over the place

again ..imall about freedom of speech...but what they did yesterday did nothing but tie up the city all day
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I think when OWS started, they were just trying to get the ball rolling on discussing the problems in our country but the media for most part of the first month all but ignored them, which pissed them off and it's evolved into a movement generally because of the attitude and contempt they first meet with, Bloomburg galvanized them the other night with his chicken shit 1:am clearing them out, and don't tell me it was a public saftey move, then why not do it at 8 in the morning? Now i don't know where it's going, but atleast it's gotten people talking.
    they have some goood points but no organization

as for this zucotti park....it started off normal 2 months ago,but it became 70% convicts and druggies with nowhere to go looking for trouble

girls were being raped and needles were all over the place

again ..imall about freedom of speech...but what they did yesterday did nothing but tie up the city all day

well ... i don't disagree that there are problems with this movement ... the question i posed is - what's a better way? ...

and yes - they tried to "shut down" wall street yesterday and in the process inconvenienced a lot of people but like i keep saying ... this is what protesting is all about ... activists that fought in years past did the exact same thing ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    sooo ... basically you are saying the system is flawed but that's just the way it is ... !?? ... don't do anything about it ... just take it!?

yes. the system is fucked, has been fucked, and will be fucked. it's reality.

what would your grand plan be?

wonder how many of these protestors would have gotten jobs in the past 2 months if they put this much effort into you know... FINDING A JOB (what a INSANE thought!).

as i mentioned, i still owe a decent amount in student loans. should i join these fools and EXPECT the president to personally write me a check? please. fantasy la-la land bullshit.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Banks got a bail out with Tax Payers money and then turned around and handed out Bonuses, i'm not just taking anything, we can change reality.
    rival. wrote:
    yes. the system is fucked, has been fucked, and will be fucked. it's reality.

what would your grand plan be?

wonder how many of these protestors would have gotten jobs in the past 2 months if they put this much effort into you know... FINDING A JOB (what a INSANE thought!).

as i mentioned, i still owe a decent amount in student loans. should i join these fools and EXPECT the president to personally write me a check? please. fantasy la-la land bullshit.

well ... if i continuously stole your food - would you just resign yourself to it!?? ...

i can't speak for every protestor but i know many and they all have jobs ... having a job doesn't preclude one from recognizing that there are problems and to act on them ... but if you want to stereotype everyone in order to try to discredit them - that's your choice ...

i've got ideas of a grand plan ... some of it is in the AMT threads ... but first and foremost ... people have to recognize there is a problem and actually be willing to do something about it ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    i can't speak for every protestor but i know many and they all have jobs ... having a job doesn't preclude one from recognizing that there are problems and to act on them ... but if you want to stereotype everyone in order to try to discredit them - that's your choice ...

if they have jobs, then they are in one way or another working for the evil corporate machine they despise and are trying to stand against are they not (unless of course it's a personal business/family business)?

but it's OK because at the end of the day they are receiving a paycheck and food is getting put on their table, right?

sounds a little misguided if you ask me.
This discussion has been closed.