Options

*** Mansfield 1 Fanviews Here 6/28/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    So, as you can tell from below, I've been to Mansfield many a time ... energy of this crowd was fantastic --- borderline fanatical, in a good way. For the most part, the energy of the crowd was better than the 2 MSG shows.

I'll echo the Betterman comments, it was a moment to be seen ... (at least you can hear it on the boots) ... longer applause for that moment than I ever recall.

Intersting set choice, in that, I had friends come in from all over the country, sort of a reunion of sorts, and it seemed like they played a set right out of 98 or 2000 .... with a few newer tunes thrown in. Not my favorite set list (for me, both MSG set lists were better) but the crowd lapped it up, and was asking for seconds, thirds .....

The early curfew left the crowd wanting more, MUCH more. I don't know what the fee is for a late curfew, but, I'm hoping they blow the bank on Monday.

I thought we were going to get another Mansfield rant from Ed, he was visably upset at times .... but, you got the feeling they didn't want to waste time at all ...

It felt/sounded like one of Stone's best shows to me ...

Ed made a comment before Love Reign O'er Me that they were goign to "try" the song, but mentioned that it was a good thing they had a break before Monday's show ... perhaps they're a bit tired.

Anyway ... good show ... I had an absolute blast.

.... and to the folks hating on Betterman ... guys, this is a fanviews thread, take your snarky comments elsewhere.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    UNH1995UNH1995 Worcester Posts: 356
    This show gets better and better the more that I think about it.
    The setting, lighting, backdrop - simply amazing
    20,000 people singing, dancing and being part of something special was something special.

My rule is to focus on what was amazing, rather than bitching about what was missing. In this case, what was amazing was incredible.
    Lalapalooza 1992, Orphium Boston 1994, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1998, Mansfield 2000, Mansfield 2003(1&3), West Palm 2003, State College 2003, Boston 2004, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Chicago 2006, Boston 2006, Mansfield 2008(1&2), Hartford 2008, Hartford 2010, Boston 2010, Worcester 2013 (1&2), All Four Fenway shows 2016 & 2018.
  • Options
    anez_98anez_98 Posts: 158
    the energy of the crowd was amazing. 16th show of my mine and it may have been the best crowd. can't wait for monday.
  • Options
    ragejoeragejoe Agawam Mass Posts: 1,413
    anez_98 wrote:
    the energy of the crowd was amazing. 16th show of my mine and it may have been the best crowd. can't wait for monday.

Ya in your face show, my 4th of tour... great crowd... i hit the lottery myself! 10 row center... good good stuf.. The betterman thing truly was amazing and just so much fun to be a part of... especially considerin a half hour earlier ed chucked his wine bottle cross stage...

Great set... love SOLAT glad ive gotten it twice... Reign on me is awesome... Eds voice is just unreal... comeback was a nice surprise...

Son of a B*tch curfew tho.... one guy said it a couple pages ago... solid B+ A- show that would have been A+ with a few extra at the end and ED having the time to hang and talk a little... Lets hope band gives a 7/11/03 MONDAY NIGHT! hahaha

LETS GO MONDAY, the last show ( screw the beacon)
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • Options
    They ended right at curfew time - wonder if past issues of going over came into play. Ed was pissed early into the show and threw his wine bottle I believe....... The shortness of the show - no reflection of the crowd - 4th show of the tour for me (MSG 1+2, and Hartford) and this was the best crowd - BY FAR. The minute cheering during Betterman was over powering............

You are high...I was at all those show too and this crowd came in 3rd behind MSG2 and Hartford.
    "Sometimes I burn like a dot on the sun
    With no one knowing..."
  • Options
    I am amazed that so many people loved this set...I've been to 4 shows on this tour (MSG1, MSG2, Hartford and Mansfield1) and the Mansfield 1 show was the worst and shortest by far. Generic setlist, Eddie pissed the whole night, way more slow stuff and way more left off the setlist than usual. Dont get me wrong I would still go on Monday if they played the same, but lets be serious...Saturday in Mansfield was an average show...it's okay to say it people. Hopefully Monday is epic like Hartford was.
    With no one knowing..."
  • Options
    JAL442JAL442 Posts: 41
    The crowd tonight was absolutely on fire tonight. I was at the Hartford show and this crowd blew it away. As everyone else has mentioned the ovation during Betterman was unreal. Ed kept trying to continue the song but couldn't because the crowd as going nuts. Overall, the set list was solid, nothing too spectacular. Love Reign O'er Me, Faithful, Come Back, and SOLAT were a couple highlights for me. Ed was definitely pissed off about something when he hurled his bottle at the backdrop. At the beginning of the set he mentioned something about an endurance test and the last time I checked a 2hr 5min set was not an endurance test for PJ fans. With the day off today, let's hope for a truly epic show to close out the tour on Monday.
    2004: Boston II

2006: Hartford, Boston I, Boston II

2008: Hartford, Mansfield I, Mansfield II
  • Options
    overstandoverstand Posts: 54
    Hey guys,

It seems that the general consensus for Mansfield 1 is that the energy was quite good and the show could be considered a bit strayed from what many of us had anticipated. Forgive me for not given proper credit to who mentioned it, but someone mentioned that the meat and potatoes of the setlist seemed like it was from 2000...I would have to agree with this (having been to every local show since 1994)....All things considered (setlist, energy, curfew, Ed's angst, etc.) and how past shows made me feel...Sat. night's show was a B+/A-...yes? That's how it is being scored in my book. I am never disappointed, it was a PJ concert, I will always take what I can get...participate and not anticipate.

...That said, in reference to the title of the thread, let's consider the past. The last time the band played at Greatwoods they played Three shows. They added a third show after two sold out quickly. Ed stated at the first show that they would play the entire catalogue from that tour. They added an additional acoustic set an hour or so before the opening act on night three, to fit all the songs in within the time-frame & curfew...oh yeah, they went over the curfew by about an hour on night three. Any questions?

So, anyone's opinion is just that, an opinion...and we are all entitiled to ours, and they can all be different. I only ask that we consider the whole picture, and some of the love we've historically gotten here in New England by our friends in the band. It is slightly disconcerting to read how "disappointed" folks were with last night's show. I have a hunch that if any of us felt slighted in any way, the band will "make up" for it...they always do. I hope you all are there on Monday night, be safe and make some good decisions (saw 3 DWIs being given out by the itching-to-fuck-with-someone Mansfield PD). And a final word of encouragement from someone a lot wiser than me..."participate don't anticipate".

Lot's of love to all, seeing you and feeling the energy made me feel young and happy, thanks for that...and Thanks Pearl Jam for a beautiful night of sharing your music with us and making us feel closer as a community!
  • Options
    JAL442 wrote:
    The crowd tonight was absolutely on fire tonight. I was at the Hartford show and this crowd blew it away. As everyone else has mentioned the ovation during Betterman was unreal. Ed kept trying to continue the song but couldn't because the crowd as going nuts. Overall, the set list was solid, nothing too spectacular. Love Reign O'er Me, Faithful, Come Back, and SOLAT were a couple highlights for me. Ed was definitely pissed off about something when he hurled his bottle at the backdrop. At the beginning of the set he mentioned something about an endurance test and the last time I checked a 2hr 5min set was not an endurance test for PJ fans. With the day off today, let's hope for a truly epic show to close out the tour on Monday.

Biased Boston opinion on the crowd I think...it was good for Betterman..thats about it. You should've been at MSG2...that was an on fire crowd...Mansfield 1 was a whisper compared to that. Boston 1 in 2006 was way louder than this crowd too. Im not blaming the crowd...the setlist just wasnt keeping the crowd up...IMO.
    With no one knowing..."
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I am amazed that so many people loved this set...I've been to 4 shows on this tour (MSG1, MSG2, Hartford and Mansfield1) and the Mansfield 1 show was the worst and shortest by far. Generic setlist, Eddie pissed the whole night, way more slow stuff and way more left off the setlist than usual. Dont get me wrong I would still go on Monday if they played the same, but lets be serious...Saturday in Mansfield was an average show...it's okay to say it people. Hopefully Monday is epic like Hartford was.

it's called an opinion .... you have yours, they have theirs. No one is right or wrong.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    ragejoe wrote:
    Ya in your face show, my 4th of tour... great crowd... i hit the lottery myself! 10 row center... good good stuf.. The betterman thing truly was amazing and just so much fun to be a part of... especially considerin a half hour earlier ed chucked his wine bottle cross stage...

Great set... love SOLAT glad ive gotten it twice... Reign on me is awesome... Eds voice is just unreal... comeback was a nice surprise...

Son of a B*tch curfew tho.... one guy said it a couple pages ago... solid B+ A- show that would have been A+ with a few extra at the end and ED having the time to hang and talk a little... Lets hope band gives a 7/11/03 MONDAY NIGHT! hahaha

LETS GO MONDAY, the last show ( screw the beacon)

Seriously, that Betterman shit was incredible! I had 7th row and the look on his face as he tried to step to the mic was priceless!!!!! Loved it! This show was AWESOME. The set list, the crowd was great but in my opinion, the energy was down just a notch from Hartford (c'mon...I'm moving in on 40 myself and I'm not sure we all recover the same way we used 15 years ago, ya know?). Would have been great to have a couple extra songs at the end but....I wouldn't trade this show for the world!!!

Can't wait for Monday!!! I just might have a voice back by then. Silence is key today. :)
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    piombapiomba Posts: 103

Lastly, (again my opinion)- i don't think ed threw the wine bottle because he was pissed.....

He was pissed. He threw the bottle and immediately went over and spoke with a technician on the side of the stage. Something was wrong all night and he was not happy about it... that and the military recruiters. don't think that pleased him too much either.
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    it's called an opinion .... you have yours, they have theirs. No one is right or wrong.

Never said anyone was wrong...just said I was surprised....chill. I like Pearl Jam.
    With no one knowing..."
  • Options
    overstandoverstand Posts: 54
    piomba wrote:
    He was pissed. He threw the bottle and immediately went over and spoke with a technician on the side of the stage. Something was wrong all night and he was not happy about it... that and the military recruiters. don't think that pleased him too much either.

I agree, I saw what went down...it appeared that he was pissed. We forget sometimes how firey Ed was/is....I don't mind pissed..it shows he cares.
  • Options
    ...and why do people try to rank shows... the experience is completely subjective. you will always find people who had completely different experiences at the same show...
  • Options
    piomba wrote:
    ...and why do people try to rank shows... the experience is completely subjective. you will always find people who had completely different experiences at the same show...

Because its fun and thats what this board is about. Nobody said you have to.
    With no one knowing..."
  • Options
    overstand wrote:
    I agree, I saw what went down...it appeared that he was pissed. We forget sometimes how firey Ed was/is....I don't mind pissed..it shows he cares.

completely agree. seeing him chuck that thing and have it shatter on the backdrop... pearl jam.
  • Options
    Because its fun and thats what this board is about. Nobody said you have to.

yeah, it must be great when someone tells you that what you think is one of the greatest nights of your life was actually total shiat. I couldn't think of anything more fun.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Raineman wrote:
    Wish i had your seats, I was sitting in the second row of uncovered pavillion seats and it was the dullest crowd I have EVER seen in my life. I was disgusted at how awful the crowd was out there. People were getting annoyed that I was belting out every song, The Hartford lawn crowd DESTROYED this lame ass Mansfield crowd. And after going to Hartford, I cant help but feel let down w this set but damn thankful that I saw the boys last night

you are spot on. I was at the 2003 Boston III show and I thought the crowd was lame as well. I never could understand the hype. You hear a lot of Boston people proclaiming they are the best crowd. Inferiority complex.

Philly '03 (spectrum) had a long Betterman cheer as well. You people act like that is the first time anyone has cheered for betterman.
  • Options
    Raineman wrote:
    Wish i had your seats, I was sitting in the second row of uncovered pavillion seats and it was the dullest crowd I have EVER seen in my life. I was disgusted at how awful the crowd was out there. People were getting annoyed that I was belting out every song, The Hartford lawn crowd DESTROYED this lame ass Mansfield crowd. And after going to Hartford, I cant help but feel let down w this set but damn thankful that I saw the boys last night

just because everyone on the hartford lawn had a lighter for betterman, does not mean the crowd was better, i was at both, hartford blew mansfield away setlist and band energy wise, but mansfields crowd was much better than hartfords. hartfords crowd was great, mansfield was unreal.
    NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    you are spot on. I was at the 2003 Boston III show and I thought the crowd was lame as well. I never could understand the hype. You hear a lot of Boston people proclaiming they are the best crowd. Inferiority complex.

Philly '03 (spectrum) had a long Betterman cheer as well. You people act like that is the first time anyone has cheered for betterman.

This wasnt the regular cheer this was people banging on chairs and SCREAMING for 2 minutes before end could begin the "whoa oh oh oh" This was magical

The police in the parking lot thats a different story i poured two beers into solo cups and the cops came by and told me if i sipped them I'd be arrested. And that "they're not playing games" "AND if i think they're kidding try them... they had 60 arrests at the DMB show" Lame. After Monday's show this venue can forget about me I dont care WHO'S playing there!! Other then that it was a good show my gf's first.... Let's hope they rip the roof off Monday night!!!!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options

philly 03 betterman cheer could not hold a candle to last night's, 03 boston betterman was damn good too. last night's was surreal.
  • Options
    This wasnt the regular cheer this was people banging on chairs and SCREAMING for 2 minutes before end could begin the "whoa oh oh oh" This was magical

The police in the parking lot thats a different story i poured two beers into solo cups and the cops came by and told me if i sipped them I'd be arrested. And that "they're not playing games" "AND if i think they're kidding try them... they had 60 arrests at the DMB show" Lame. After Monday's show this venue can forget about me I dont care WHO'S playing there!! Other then that it was a good show my gf's first.... Let's hope they rip the roof off Monday night!!!!

yeah the cops did suck, they enforced early when people arrived to put a scare in them and then dissappeared, just let them roll through early give it a half hour, then you are good to go.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    philly 03 betterman cheer could not hold a candle to last night's, 03 boston betterman was damn good too. last night's was surreal.

Okay, I guess since boston cheered for one minute they are the best crowd ever. I am from Indiana, and have been to shows in MSG, PHilly, and Boston, and all of the crowds were great. MSG was the best singalong crowd I've been a part of. I just get annoyed with this whole debate. As usual it is Boston screaming they are the best the most. Inferiority complex. Sorry you aren't new york.
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    yeah the cops did suck, they enforced early when people arrived to put a scare in them and then dissappeared, just let them roll through early give it a half hour, then you are good to go.

I might just go to the pre party on Monday or show up drunk haha!!!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    anez_98anez_98 Posts: 158
    why is everyone so concerned about which crowd is better? All these shows rock, it's the greatest band in the world right now, and we're all lucky to see it. let's celebrate that instead.
  • Options
    Trading StoriesTrading Stories Boston Posts: 84
    I'm new to the board but would like to talk about the tailgating issues outside. In all my years of going to great woods i had never had any trouble with drinking beer out of solo cups. Within first hour of arriving i had a few cops and several security guards warn us about public drinking and even had my beer, my friends beer, and other patrons beers poured out. (bear in mind most of us jammers are now in our late 20s - 30s) I was relegated to drinking in the back of mine and my fellow jammers cars. (am i 18 again?). It put a bit of damper on the pre-jam ceremonies. If i could offer a little word of advice to everyone going to the 2nd show to please bring a non-seethru container to drink out of such as a water bottle. (not complaining 'cause i still had a blast) but i just want to give everyone a heads-up.

Last nights show was fantastic. I found that Hartfords show provided a heavier set-list (comatose, brain, leash, blood, porch, f'up) But mansfields crowd really made it the better of the 2 nights. Can't wait til monday - PJ has never disappointed.
    Hartford 9/13/98, Montreal 6/29/03, Mansfield 7/2/03 7/3/03 7/11/03, Boston 9/28/04, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08 6/30/08, Chicago 8/24/09, Boston 5/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11 9/4/11, Worcester 10/15 10/16, Hartford 10/25 Fenway 1&2 EV - Boston 8/1 8/2, Albany 8/6
  • Options
    first off, the band played 25 songs. they don't play 35 every night out.

and, as for it being a "standard selection", sure they didn't play any songs for the first time this tour, but hard to imagine? i'm open? faithfull? low light? i got shit?

I think both points sum it up...
    The set list was fairly stellar. Hard to Imagine as an opener...I've been to 15 shows and caught that once (Calgary) and always nice to catch a Low Light and Off he Goes.

I am not a fan of Betterman, but WOW...the cheering! That was insane!
    So, yes great set...but, very short

And to the other point....Yes, they can not play 35 songs every night...but, I guess one gets spoiled in the North East...

The 2003 Riot Act Tour....Mansfield night 3 and MSG night 1.....haha, spoiled me rotten.
    I live my life like an Ocean in disguise
  • Options

Arent' you from MA....haha, my friend you should know better
    the bike cops there = LAME x billion
    sorry to hear they gave u caca
    I live my life like an Ocean in disguise
  • Options
    rival420rival420 Massachusetts Posts: 58
    I'm thinking that Comcast has asked the PoPo's to crack down on the parking lot drinking because they want people to go inside and buy their $8.00 beers! Think about it, it's more of a liability to serve an already intoxicated fan and legally they have to turn them away. But if you force people to get their groove on in the venue, it generates more revenue.

Don't get me wrong, it's a shitty practice! I went to Tom Petty two weeks ago and it wasn't anything like last night. People we getting caught left and right last night as they did a few nights ago at DMB!

I'm sorry guys, but the crowd from last nights show was 10x better than Hartford - and Hartford did have a lot of crowd energy!