Options

**Saskatoon Fanviews Here**

Comments

• Options
    SkooledSkooled Posts: 147
    Yes it was RVM when the lights went down and they rocked out....and I believe he was passing something to fans in the front row....

oh it was probably the set list
  • Options
    Great show. I am pumped that he saw my sign. He even came over to sign to me a bit. So rad, what a great band. When he came out that was a great touch. I am pissed though. I got two posters from the show and someone stole them. After the show in row 3 on the floor my wife put the posters down to take a photo of my cousin and someone ripped it off. Who does that? How can you see an inspiring show like pj, hear about the shitty stuff in New Orleans and still be a selfish enough asshole to do that. Damn. Anyway, one of the best shows so far. Dug it alot. Was nice not to have to drive very far to get to this one. HOpe they come back. Anyway, 100 bucks later and I have two posters. LOL. My thoughts are with the people of New Orleans. Ciao.
    Evan
    Viva La New Orleans/ In my Tree
    P.S. If you listen at like 1:13? on RITFW Ed says we do have power. Nice work ed, We made the sign after he joked about toon town not having power in Edmonton. He must have dug toon town cause he talked about it in Winnipeg.
  • Options
    Again, there were AT LEAST 1000 empty seats in the upper bowl. Any yes, don't slay the messengers, there were crickets chirping. I saw Calgary, Edmonton and Saskatoon, and given the band playing and the frequency of a band that HUGE (not just PJ but anyone) playing in Saskatoon, I couldn't believe people were having trouble getting into it. I truely hoped it'd be the most rocking show I'd get to see (after unfortunately having to pass on St. John's...which will blow the roof off I'm sure). And no, it had nothing to do with 10,000 there vs 20,000 in Cgy...because if there were 11,300 in Sask (a sellout as it was in Cgy and Edm) then it would have potentially been louder than Calgary (check your physics books).

Obviously, I'm a huge fan, and I'm not partial to any one Prairie city I saw them in (I'm orig. from the East Coast, Cape Breton to be exact so I don't care for Cgy vs Edm vs Sask...I'd rather see Halifax to be honest).

The arena seats 11,300 according to the website so my estimate was about 10,000 or less for the show. And I had poor seats (back of the lower bowl) thus could see everything as I was near as far back as possible.

For the folks on the floor (as I was for Cgy and Edm) I'm sure it seemed rocking but believe me, it was not, at least comparatively. This is not meant to ruin anyone's experience, as the setlist and band energy were unbelievable, but I wish the crowd put out more for it.

My personal thought is that the weaker the crowd got, the more the band put out to try to get them going (and Ed made campfire cracks). They are true professionals who care about the music. Ed, Mike, Jeff, Stone, Boom and Matt, cudos to you, you made my night! Here's hoping Winnipeg can redeem the Prairies...
  • Options
    BrainofA wrote:
    Again, there were AT LEAST 1000 empty seats in the upper bowl. Any yes, don't slay the messengers, there were crickets chirping. I saw Calgary, Edmonton and Saskatoon, and given the band playing and the frequency of a band that HUGE (not just PJ but anyone) playing in Saskatoon, I couldn't believe people were having trouble getting into it. I truely hoped it'd be the most rocking show I'd get to see (after unfortunately having to pass on St. John's...which will blow the roof off I'm sure). And no, it had nothing to do with 10,000 there vs 20,000 in Cgy...because if there were 11,300 in Sask (a sellout as it was in Cgy and Edm) then it would have potentially been louder than Calgary (check your physics books).

Obviously, I'm a huge fan, and I'm not partial to any one Prairie city I saw them in (I'm orig. from the East Coast, Cape Breton to be exact so I don't care for Cgy vs Edm vs Sask...I'd rather see Halifax to be honest).

The arena seats 11,300 according to the website so my estimate was about 10,000 or less for the show. And I had poor seats (back of the lower bowl) thus could see everything as I was near as far back as possible.

For the folks on the floor (as I was for Cgy and Edm) I'm sure it seemed rocking but believe me, it was not, at least comparatively. This is not meant to ruin anyone's experience, as the setlist and band energy were unbelievable, but I wish the crowd put out more for it.

My personal thought is that the weaker the crowd got, the more the band put out to try to get them going (and Ed made campfire cracks). They are true professionals who care about the music. Ed, Mike, Jeff, Stone, Boom and Matt, cudos to you, you made my night! Here's hoping Winnipeg can redeem the Prairies...

so you were on the floor for the calgary and edmonton show and you in the way back at the saskatoon show WOW THAT WOULDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE AT ALL /sarcasm
  • Options
    BrainofA wrote:

So a arena that holds 11,300 and a press release of 10,500 tickets sold, 800 seats not sold due to obstructed view, that leaves 500 unsold seats. My limited deductive skills state that leaves 300 seats empty. (interesting)

Finally I was up close, floor 28th row. It was an amazing concert, the guys around us that were at the Edmonton and Calgary show said it was more personal of a show and they didn't finds Ed's comments to make fun of Saskatoon, they thought he was commenting on the homelike feel he got from the crowd.

Anyways, I hope your concert experience was better in Winterpeg. I sounds like you are a big fan of the crowds, I hope you get to watch the EPIC band that EVERYONE else was watching one day.

P.S. Incase you think I am just defending the prairies, i am from Halifax!
  • Options
    Come on man.. I was at all of the above mentioned concerts and thought that toon town exceeded most. Edmonton was alright, but the crowd was alright, and it seemed to me like the band was abit tired or depressed. Even happens to professionals. As for the camp fire cracks. Ed wasn't being an ass, he was making a joke, he also wondered if Saskatoon had power in Edmonton. Saskatoon was amazing, and I think PJ loved it too. I definitely think it left an impression. He put Saskatoon in again in winnipeg, and he went into the crowd which isn't an everyday thing. Where were your seats in all the shows? It seems like you got ripped. Ciao.
  • Options
    Im the cousin that got a poster riped off....how disipointing is that...i think highly of other fans..and esp. a ten club member to do that....well the show was amazing and yup Ed responds to my poster...how great is that! Mike even bowed and said thank you to me 'cause the other side said "we believe in mike"
    i love this band
  • Options
    blah blah blah.....
    My dad's cooler than your dad.
    Get a life!

Saskatoon show (my first PJ experience) = awesome

No Ledbetter = crappy
    No Crazy Mary = crappy
    No Jeremy = yayyyyyyy!
    Open with Release = truly f'n amazing!!

Best
    Show
    Ever

Oh,
    and I better not have to wait another 12 years to see these guys!
  • Options
    I hope you're not talking to me since I was defending your town...nice first post.:rolleyes:

Gee whiz, mister. Thanks for defending my town.

I just think it's pretty lame to argue, what, 8 pages of forum space over which crowd rocked out the most.

WHO CARES.

In S'toon, Pearl Jam rocked and that's all that really matters (to me).

And by the way, they filmed parts of OUR show for MTV.
    Eat that!
  • Options
    blah blah blah.....
    My dad's cooler than your dad.
    Get a life!

Saskatoon show (my first PJ experience) = awesome

No Ledbetter = crappy
    No Crazy Mary = crappy
    No Jeremy = yayyyyyyy!
    Open with Release = truly f'n amazing!!

Best
    Show
    Ever

Oh,
    and I better not have to wait another 12 years to see these guys!

Not ever leaving your city to see pj = crappy
    12 years if no live pj =crappy
  • Options
    I GOT SHIT and GLORIFIED G???????? WHAT!!!!!!!! They are really kickin' ass with these set lists! I'm so jealous of everyone that went to these shows. ugh!
    "If you guys wanna stick around we're willing to make this the longest Pearl Jam show that ever has been played" -EV, State College, PA, 5/3/03
    --
    5/3/03-State College
    7/12/03-Hershey
    10/1/04-Reading
    10/2/04-Toledo
    9/1/05- The Gorge
    7/22/06 & 7/23/06 THE GORGE!
    Tonight... WE ROCK THE GORGE!
  • Options
    Well, I must say that I hadn't been to a stadium show in 5 years (small club/indie fan), and this one blew me away. From previous experience, I found that enjoyment of the crowd largely depends on the people you've come with, and the people in your section. I came with a great group of fans and had some real loud young women screaming the lyrics out right behind me in section H. A large amount of fans stayed on their feet throughout, and only sat down during one of the "campfire" moments.

Seeing a band usually sets me back $10-$15 plus drinks. I didn't think a concert could be worth the $74 it took me just to get my ticket. It was. I really can't add anything that hasn't been said, except one simple request:

Come back.
  • Options
    romybianromybian Posts: 1,644
    That crowd singing even flow just blows my mind!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't stop listening to it it's so f*cikin' amazing!!!
    I'm daydreaming about the perfect dvd... Live@Saskatoon.-
    After listening to this .... I just can't wait 'till november!:D
    "The joke in your language won't come out the same" (Tom Petty)
    I'm no dude! Dudette!
  • Options
    GarnerGarner Posts: 182
    I'm too lazy to do a review. All I can say is I had 2 row dead centre and I shook Ed's hand during Porch. I'll post all the pictures I took later this week. Also, I took a picture of Ed near the beginning of rockin in the free world and Ed something to me but I couldn't understand what he said. Need to get the boot still to figure it out. I dunno if he was mad cause it had a flash or not but my fucking camera's pictures were all blurry without the flash.
    Barry Bonds is innocent
  • Options
    um........AMAZING!
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    Hey fellow fans... this has been an interesting read. I was on the floor, 25th row and wow, these guys are tight... after all these years they delivered a show that Saskatoon won't ever forget. I agree that the energy seemed to move progressively upward toward the end of the night, but I actually described the experience to a friend from Toronto by commenting that ‘there is something to be said for attending a show like this in smallville... most of us feel starved for really great music’. So, yeah, I'm surprised to hear not everyone felt the same way. Too bad, my experience was unreal and I gave the crowd some of the credit (but thank you thank you PJ for not giving up).

Someone said on here that this night was about the rock and the music (and celebrating life in times of tragedy) and I couldn't agree more, to me the vibe couldn't have been better. It seemed to me that PJ was in the mood to put on a great concert and they weren't taking no for an answer. Whatever the campfire comments refer to - they did a good job stoking it. And the crowd got rowdy when it counted, but there were also times when people around me were actually listening and feeling it - not just mindlessly screaming and drowning out the boys. I like a little bit of both, and I left feeling like PJ dug the sentiment.

I just downloaded the bootleg and plan to relive the evening many times over, also got a few decent pics of my own. I don't know if "State of Love and Trust" is something they often do live, but I was surprised to hear it. Being a girl who's 'coming of age' included the Singles soundtrack (and film - hehe), it was a nice surprise. It just couldn't have been better... and I echo the same request, "come back". Please?
  • Options
    stoonerboo wrote:
    I just downloaded the bootleg and plan to relive the evening many times over, also got a few decent pics of my own. ....

I've been begging everywhere for pictures... any chance you'll share?
  • Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    thanks for the reviews guys, im gonna download this show for sure.

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Options
    the concert rocked! Seattle's bands are always up to par. Super Suckers, their opening act, played hard and loud, and the lead singer/bass guitarist passed his bass around and slapped it up against the bass drum for a cool percussion groove. A great act to get the crowd warmed up for Pearl.
  • Options
    and in alive Ed screamed "YOU ARE ALIVE" and I was all like "damn right"
  • Options
    Garner wrote:
    I'm too lazy to do a review. All I can say is I had 2 row dead centre and I shook Ed's hand during Porch. I'll post all the pictures I took later this week. Also, I took a picture of Ed near the beginning of rockin in the free world and Ed something to me but I couldn't understand what he said. Need to get the boot still to figure it out. I dunno if he was mad cause it had a flash or not but my fucking camera's pictures were all blurry without the flash.

Hey, I was waay up in the nosebleed..I am dying to get some pics..where are you going to post them?? You are a true hero Garner!! Anyone else wanna be my Knight In Shining Armor?
  • Options
    yeah I would love to see those pics too. 5 days later I have listened to the boot many times and I am still blown away by how amazing the band was, simply the finest show I have ever seen.
    Pearl Jam came to Saskatoon? Still can't believe it
  • Options
    I think Ed had a lot of fun at this show...and actually enjoyed the "campfire" atmosphere...best setlist so far in Canada...just incredible show...my personal favorite of the first four shows....
  • Options
    squidsquid Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere Posts: 85
    My 1st PJ concert and what a blast!!!
    To tell you the truth , I thought you guys were a little fanatical. I would read posts about fans traveling to multiple shows and I thought to myself, How many times do you have to see PJ on the same tour???
    Well now I know....the atmosphere and energy are unbelievable.
    I can't wait until the US tour starts as I will definitely be traveling to one or more cities.
  • Options
    This was my first PJ show. It was so great. I drove 2 hours from Regina (we booked it) to see this. This was my first stadium show. I wasn't dissapointed, however the sound kind of sucked on the upper deck and i was sad that they didn't play Black but they can't play 'em all i guess. The drunken jock-types kind of pissed me off to begin with but once PJ started playing i got over it. I've never been to a show that didn't have lots of dancing/circle pits/hardcore dancing so i was kind of surprised to see lots of people sitting...the seats were kind of restricting though. i stood and grooved the whole time. My favourite was when they were playing rearview mirror and then it just turned into a fat instrumental. The merchandise was really cool as well. Regretfully, i didn't get anything but i thought all the little maple leaves were nice....All in all it was a great time and i got home at 2 so that's not so late at all.

p.s. i thought the supersuckers super-sucked. Sorry, that's just my opinion. What pearl jam should have done is just gotten local bands from each city to play with them.
  • Options
    I think at this point, enough has been touched on to give those who weren't there a pretty good sense of what went on, but what the hell, I'll throw in a few pennies.

Don't get me wrong, there was SOME energy put forth by a few here and there, but the crowd doesn't even COMPARE to any of the other crowds from the Gorge to Winnipeg (experienced all shows first-hand, with decent seats). In "S'toon" I was row 8 on the floor, which was nice. It was cool that there seemed to be less space between the first row and the stage. Or maybe it was just that they were the best seats I had been given yet. Having, for the most part, grown up in Saskatchewan, I was pretty pumped about them playing there, and knowing numerous of the people who went. I felt bad for giving my buddy and his friend what I thought would be decent seats (row 2 in the lower level, opposite from the stage in the corner). Turns out this venue sucks for not being raised like every other arena. I think that by standing in row 2 they managed to barely see above the heads of people on the floor. One user on here made a comment about the Vancouver '03 show having a lousier crowd. I disagree. Sure it wasn't as awesome as this year's show, but at least most of the people appeared glad to be there. Aside from what felt like a third of the floor, and the sections just beside and in front of the stage in the stands, there was little response. I felt like I was in my own little world jumping up and down, screaming, "WE LOVE YOU!" and whatnot. Other friends who have lived around there their whole lives felt that it was the best crowd they've seen in Saskatoon, which is probably true. But certainly Vancouver, Calgary, and Winnipeg were super crazy and intense. Not that the crowd matters much to me, but it does help with the band's energy and resulting input into the whole mix. I give them HUGE FUCKING KUDOS... you could see them making the setlist up on the fly, trying their best to garner more response - which they certainly did. Ed's always had an impeccable knack for saying a few mere words to get thousands of people roaring and whatnot, and that night he had to go to the extreme where almost everything he said or did (or the band played) were taylored for this lackluster crowd. I can't wait to afford to buy the 'bootleg' though just to hear some songs with less crowd noise, as there were some really sweet solos where Mike and Stone, or Jeff and Stone, or Jeff and Mike, etc., had some wicked chemistry. Boom and Matt of course always rock my world, but I could sense a little bit of disinterest. It's like it was a chore for people to raise their hands.

Meh, 'twas a fucking blast for me.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Options
    I think at this point, enough has been touched on to give those who weren't there a pretty good sense of what went on, but what the hell, I'll throw in a few pennies.

Don't get me wrong, there was SOME energy put forth by a few here and there, but the crowd doesn't even COMPARE to any of the other crowds from the Gorge to Winnipeg (experienced all shows first-hand, with decent seats). In "S'toon" I was row 8 on the floor, which was nice. It was cool that there seemed to be less space between the first row and the stage. Or maybe it was just that they were the best seats I had been given yet. Having, for the most part, grown up in Saskatchewan, I was pretty pumped about them playing there, and knowing numerous of the people who went. I felt bad for giving my buddy and his friend what I thought would be decent seats (row 2 in the lower level, opposite from the stage in the corner). Turns out this venue sucks for not being raised like every other arena. I think that by standing in row 2 they managed to barely see above the heads of people on the floor. One user on here made a comment about the Vancouver '03 show having a lousier crowd. I disagree. Sure it wasn't as awesome as this year's show, but at least most of the people appeared glad to be there. Aside from what felt like a third of the floor, and the sections just beside and in front of the stage in the stands, there was little response. I felt like I was in my own little world jumping up and down, screaming, "WE LOVE YOU!" and whatnot. Other friends who have lived around there their whole lives felt that it was the best crowd they've seen in Saskatoon, which is probably true. But certainly Vancouver, Calgary, and Winnipeg were super crazy and intense. Not that the crowd matters much to me, but it does help with the band's energy and resulting input into the whole mix. I give them HUGE FUCKING KUDOS... you could see them making the setlist up on the fly, trying their best to garner more response - which they certainly did. Ed's always had an impeccable knack for saying a few mere words to get thousands of people roaring and whatnot, and that night he had to go to the extreme where almost everything he said or did (or the band played) were taylored for this lackluster crowd. I can't wait to afford to buy the 'bootleg' though just to hear some songs with less crowd noise, as there were some really sweet solos where Mike and Stone, or Jeff and Stone, or Jeff and Mike, etc., had some wicked chemistry. Boom and Matt of course always rock my world, but I could sense a little bit of disinterest. It's like it was a chore for people to raise their hands.

Meh, 'twas a fucking blast for me.

you must have been at a different a different show because I was sitting in the back corner and I could see everything, and those first couple rows looked pretty intense, and the encores where pretty damn loud, and i saw almost everyones hand up when rockin in the free world was played so F you!
  • Options
    Yeah, you're right. The first couple of rows, not the whole damn place. And maybe most of the floor people EVENTUALLY got their hands going, but once again, not the whole damn place. Where you at Vancouver? Or Calgary? Or Winnipeg? Or any other show in any other city ever for that matter?
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Options
    This show was not one to remember based upon the total crowd reaction...its one to remember because of the hell of a effort PJ put forth that night...incredible setlist....plus the floor was rocking...I was 7th row on the floor...plus the people making the noise in the upper deck were pretty fucking loud...this show put Edmonton to shame...but of the four I attended this was PJ's best performance not the crowds best performance that is left to Calgary of course...
  • Options
    verved wrote:
    I've been begging everywhere for pictures... any chance you'll share?

totally... yeah. i took a LOT of pics, some turned out decent. i don't know the best way to share, some of you mentioning posting... any suggestions?

i also have vid of the stage dive, sort of... was cool because at row 25 i didn't see it, but happened to have my camera rolling high above my head for some of it. at first i didn't know for sure that's what had happened, ed just sort of disappeared after the drop, lol. was awesome and i would've killed to be closer to the stage.