Options

**Winnipeg Fanviews Here**

Comments

• Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the mirror came out during Wishlist. I might be wrong, but looking at the set I can't picture it in anything else. I think it was during the first guitar solo.
    I'm pretty sure it was half full, because I saw it and Wishlist was my bathroom song.
    Minneapolis : 06/30/1998 - Chicago : 10/09/2000 - Vancouver : 05/30/2003 - Fargo : 06/15/2003 - Winnipeg : 09/08/2005 - Thunder Bay : 09/09/2005 - St. Paul : 06/26/2006 - Chicago : 08/23/2009 - Chicago : 08/24/2009
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    Well, shit.
  • Options
    i had fun!
  • Options
    absolutely. fucking. amazing.
    St. Paul '03
    Grand Rapids '04
    Winnipeg, Thunder Bay '05
    Grand Rapids, Cleveland, St. Paul 1 & 2 '06
  • Options
    bcsbadboys wrote:
    absolutely. fucking. amazing.

Agreed. :D
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a Winnipeg poster for sale or trade?
    Vancouver 05/21/92
    Vancouver 07/21/92
    Vancouver 09/04/93
    Vancouver 07/19/98
    Winnipeg 09/08/05
    Calgary 08/08/09
    Winnipeg 09/17/11
  • Options
    MFCMFC Posts: 13
    AndySlash wrote:
    What isn't apparent between these bits is Ed goes off to the side of the stage and sits down, closing his eyes for a bit and putting his head in his hands.

He says later on that he was just sitting there and opened his eyes and looked around and he was really moved. You could just tell that he was.

yeah it was the best show i have ever been to in my life. :)
    Bic lighter = $1.79
    Cigarettes = $6.00
    Pearl Jam tickets = $60
    12 beers for you and your buddy = $60
    gut punched and ejected from a Pearl Jam concert by Rent-a-Cop security for smoking = priceless!"

--"Shit , i said fuck" - Eddie Vedder 2005
    - CanCon rips everyone off look out
  • Options
    MFC wrote:
    yeah it was the best show i have ever been to in my life. :)
    I agree with that 100%
  • Options
    neoneo Posts: 89
    Hello, I am new to this board. Is it just me, or does the bootleg for the Winnipeg show have a second disc that is over 80 minutes? Or is that just me? Thanks!

it's not just you.

i just downloaded winnipeg and it doesn't fit on two cd's.

gonna have to make it three discs.
  • Options
    If you can get it, CDRWin burns discs that are over 80min. Mine fit on two that way.
  • Options
    Still in awe of this show. Sounds like Ottawa would be the only one to beat Winnipeg :) I have to say, Montreal didn't. I mean it was PJ so it was fucking mind blowing, but that show was truly something else.

xox Alternagirl
    "I don't say things like 'special evening.' I'm a guitarist"

"You never know where you're going to meet a jammer"
  • Options
    it's been 10 days and i still can't stop listening to the show, freakin amazing.....my fave part.....during 'crazy mary'
    ... ED-a little country store with a sign tacked to the side said- Audience- 'no, l-o-i-t-e-r-i-n-g around' Ed big smile on his face- 'that's what it said' did anyone else catch that smile? i can see it everytime i listen to it! awesome.........
    Tye
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • Options
    I've never been a big Crazy Mary fan, but after seeing that solo "duel" between Mike and Boom I can't stop listening to it. One of my favorite parts of the boot.
    St. Paul '03
    Grand Rapids '04
  • Options
    I just realized Jeff plays the Under Pressure (or Ice, Ice Baby for those who don't listen to Queen/Bowie) riff at the end of Hail Hail. Sweet.
  • Options
    So is Winnipeg still the best show of the Canadian tour so far?
    St. Paul '03
    Grand Rapids '04
  • Options
    Winnipeg blew my balls off. Then again, so did Calgary and Vancouver. The Gorge was a blast of course, and for that matter, Edmonton and Saskatoon weren't so bad either. Winnipeg was the (UNFORTUNATE) end to the six shows I was able to catch. I'm so glad one of my buddies was able to come and experience the S'toon/Winnipeg 'leg' - a lesser fan, he was completely blown away of course (as were the many other friends I bought tickets for so they could finally know the magic, and experience it first-hand). Getting up the morning after the Saskatoon show was slow going, and by the time we got to the MTS Centre, gave a ticket away because of another friend getting bitched around by his work, and got the AMAZING Ten Club seats (thanks TC for everything), I got to my seats just a few bars into Betterman. A dude with much better Ten Club seniority (160XXX) sold his tickets to myself (301XXX) and I wound up with 3rd row center, which was just surreal. Anyways, I'm sure that most of the highlights of the show have already been covered, but dammit I felt that I had to throw in my blathering. The crowd was incredible (hats of to Winnipeg and other fellow travellers) - made up for Saskatoon anyway. The show was damn tight for the most part, and by the second half, I just could NOT stop jumping to each and every beat. It was pretty wicked (during Alive I believe) when Ed looked at me and I was in a fury of excitement and whatnot, I mouthed to him, "THANK YOU!" and to which he replied, by mouthing in return, "no! Thank YOU!" That was awesome. All I wanted to do that show was get across my appreciation for their...... well, EVERYTHING. Not just coming to Canada (so extensively), but everything else too. Anyway, upon leaving there all I could do was hold back crying. I felt so happy, but also saddened that those wicked 'ten' days were over. I also felt even more inspired. In the parking lot I reconvened with my friend who I went to all six shows with to share excitement/thoughts on that night's show and suddenly couldn't help but cry. Fuck, what a blast. I cannot wait until they come back to even Vancouver.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Options
    I've been to 6 shows on this tour and the Winnipeg crowd was the craziest crowd i've ever seen. What an awesome tour this has been.
  • Options
    this is my official review of the concert (as opposed to my rambly one on page one).

Music.

Sometimes it’s all you need. No fancy light show. No video screens. No elaborate stage design. No circus midgets. Sometimes, just sometimes, the music is enough.

Pearl Jam proved this beyond a shadow of a doubt last night at the MTS Centre in front of 16,000 screaming fans and you’d be hard pressed to find a single complaint from anyone there.

Armed with only their instruments and some bare bones lighting, the pioneers of grunge showed why they are one of the only surviving bands from the infamous “Seattle scene.” With no new album since 2002’s Riot Act and not a lot of promotion leading up to the concert, Pearl Jam played to a record (and deafening) crowd at the arena and proved that like a fine wine, they only get better with age.

Even before they took the stage and started playing the opening notes of Betterman, the energy in the arena was overwhelming. They ploughed through almost three hours of material that ranged from set-list rarities such as Sad, In My Tree and In Hiding to grunge anthems Jeremy, Alive and Black. They took old classics like EvenFlow and Daughter and turned them into eight-minute jam sessions and improvs (during Daughter a fan’s cell phone made it onto the stage and lead singer Eddie Vedder led the crowd with a sing-a-long into the phone that may go down in history as the greatest voice mail ever to be received). They took a song like Do The Evolution and used it to turn the entire MTS Centre into a giant pogo-ball. They took all the energy that Winnipeg could muster and gave it right back to us. And yet the crowd just wouldn’t stop giving.

“We have to say that this is without a doubt the loudest crowd,” said Vedder when he finally addressed the crowd after ripping through the first five songs. “The pre-show crowd, it was insane out here, we didn’t know what the f*ck was going on, and all we could think was, we hope they’re pacing themselves.”

And pace ourselves we did.

For almost three hours fans were taken on a roller coaster ride of music and emotion. From the 58-second intense rocker Lukin to the beautifully haunting Indifference to the arm raising Given To Fly, fans couldn’t help but sing and cheer. For years Winnipegger’s have seen all the impostors come and go. Nickleback, Creed, Default, Lifehouse. Each one trying to imitate Vedder’s booming baritone. But last night, Vedder showed why he can’t be duplicated. It’s not just about his arena filling voice or his trademark wails, it’s about the emotion and honesty that he puts behind every word and action that he does. From his gut wrenching screams during Blood that evoke all the pain of being ripped apart from the inside, to the sincere heart-breaking whisper of, “we didn’t belong…we didn’t belong together,” at the end of Black, Vedder shows that music means more when you mean it yourself.

But this wasn’t just the Eddie Vedder show. The rest of Pearl Jam played like it was 1992 all over again. Guitarist Mike McCready was by far the most animated of the group. Between his giant jumping windmills or smiling and interacting with the fans by simply pointing and nodding, McCready played with all the appreciation and energy of someone performing in front of an audience for the very first time. Bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard kept pace with McCready while drummer Matt Cameron proved why he is arguably one of the best drummers alive today. The group has also added keyboardist Boom Gasper to their touring line-up and watching the give-and-take that he and McCready did during the extended Crazy Mary solo was nothing short of musical magic.

And just in case the near three-hour, two encore, 29-song show wasn’t enough, the boys from Seattle decided to end the evening with two songs from “Uncle Neil” (Neil Young) to the rabid delight of hometown fans. And as the first notes started to play on the evening’s final song, Rockin in the Free World, the house lights were completely up and the sight within the arena was absolutely spectacular. All 16,000 people still going strong, still standing, still clapping and still singing loud enough to almost drown out the music.

“Winnipeg, I’m gonna say this and I mean it,” said Vedder smiling and looking all around the arena in awe, “you’ve been absolutely f*cking amazing!! Absolutely…f*cking…amazing!!!!”

The thing is, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone there who wouldn’t say the same thing about them.

Just goes to show, sometimes, just sometimes, the music is enough.

No fancy lighting, elaborate stages, fancy video projectors.

Just the music.
  • Options
    this is my official review of the concert (as opposed to my rambly one on page one).

Music.

Sometimes it’s all you need. No fancy light show. No video screens. No elaborate stage design. No circus midgets. Sometimes, just sometimes, the music is enough.

Pearl Jam proved this beyond a shadow of a doubt last night at the MTS Centre in front of 16,000 screaming fans and you’d be hard pressed to find a single complaint from anyone there.

Armed with only their instruments and some bare bones lighting, the pioneers of grunge showed why they are one of the only surviving bands from the infamous “Seattle scene.” With no new album since 2002’s Riot Act and not a lot of promotion leading up to the concert, Pearl Jam played to a record (and deafening) crowd at the arena and proved that like a fine wine, they only get better with age.

Even before they took the stage and started playing the opening notes of Betterman, the energy in the arena was overwhelming. They ploughed through almost three hours of material that ranged from set-list rarities such as Sad, In My Tree and In Hiding to grunge anthems Jeremy, Alive and Black. They took old classics like EvenFlow and Daughter and turned them into eight-minute jam sessions and improvs (during Daughter a fan’s cell phone made it onto the stage and lead singer Eddie Vedder led the crowd with a sing-a-long into the phone that may go down in history as the greatest voice mail ever to be received). They took a song like Do The Evolution and used it to turn the entire MTS Centre into a giant pogo-ball. They took all the energy that Winnipeg could muster and gave it right back to us. And yet the crowd just wouldn’t stop giving.

“We have to say that this is without a doubt the loudest crowd,” said Vedder when he finally addressed the crowd after ripping through the first five songs. “The pre-show crowd, it was insane out here, we didn’t know what the f*ck was going on, and all we could think was, we hope they’re pacing themselves.”

For almost three hours fans were taken on a roller coaster ride of music and emotion. From the 58-second intense rocker Lukin to the beautifully haunting Indifference to the arm raising Given To Fly, fans couldn’t help but sing and cheer. For years Winnipegger’s have seen all the impostors come and go. Nickleback, Creed, Default, Lifehouse. Each one trying to imitate Vedder’s booming baritone. But last night, Vedder showed why he can’t be duplicated. It’s not just about his arena filling voice or his trademark wails, it’s about the emotion and honesty that he puts behind every word and action that he does. From his gut wrenching screams during Blood that evoke all the pain of being ripped apart from the inside, to the sincere heart-breaking whisper of, “we didn’t belong…we didn’t belong together,” at the end of Black, Vedder shows that music means more when you mean it yourself.

But this wasn’t just the Eddie Vedder show. The rest of Pearl Jam played like it was 1992 all over again. Guitarist Mike McCready was by far the most animated of the group. Between his giant jumping windmills or smiling and interacting with the fans by simply pointing and nodding, McCready played with all the appreciation and energy of someone performing in front of an audience for the very first time. Bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard kept pace with McCready while drummer Matt Cameron proved why he is arguably one of the best drummers alive today. The group has also added keyboardist Boom Gasper to their touring line-up and watching the give-and-take that he and McCready did during the extended Crazy Mary solo was nothing short of musical magic.

And just in case the near three-hour, two encore, 29-song show wasn’t enough, the boys from Seattle decided to end the evening with two songs from “Uncle Neil” (Neil Young) to the rabid delight of hometown fans. And as the first notes started to play on the evening’s final song, Rockin in the Free World, the house lights were completely up and the sight within the arena was absolutely spectacular. All 16,000 people still going strong, still standing, still clapping and still singing loud enough to almost drown out the music.

“Winnipeg, I’m gonna say this and I mean it,” said Vedder smiling and looking all around the arena in awe, “you’ve been absolutely f*cking amazing!! Absolutely…f*cking…amazing!!!!”

The thing is, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone there who wouldn’t say the same thing about them.

Just the music.
    Nice review man, much better than the ones those clowns at the free press or sun wrote.
    Vancouver 05/21/92
    Vancouver 07/21/92
    Vancouver 09/04/93
    Vancouver 07/19/98
    Winnipeg 09/08/05
    Calgary 08/08/09
    Winnipeg 09/17/11
  • Options
    Yeah I think the Winnipeg boot is the best of the bunch for the Canadian tour.
  • Options
    Yeah I think the Winnipeg boot is the best of the bunch for the Canadian tour.
    i must have listened to it like 20 times straight through i can't get over it, i Really hope they come back to the Peg when the New album was out Ed said "see you guys next time" which i know doesn;t mean much but i think it would be pretty lickelly for them to come back with the Tickets sales being so good and the crowd being amazing
  • Options

Music.

Just the music.

Thanks for including my little moment in your review. It was unbelievable! :)
  • Options
    no worries....sorry i didn't say anything about the nice grab you made when he threw it back....did he actually leave a message or was he talking to someone or had the phone disconnected...i was always curious about that.

and to the girl who got up and sang and danced with ed (the Smile Girl....i think kim was your name).......i didn't realize till after i wrote the review and posted it that i left that part out by accident.....please accept my apologies and here's hoping we can still be good strangers.
  • Options
    no worries....sorry i didn't say anything about the nice grab you made when he threw it back....did he actually leave a message or was he talking to someone or had the phone disconnected...i was always curious about that.

and to the girl who got up and sang and danced with ed (the Smile Girl....i think kim was your name).......i didn't realize till after i wrote the review and posted it that i left that part out by accident.....please accept my apologies and here's hoping we can still be good strangers.

My friend says he got no message. I called him right before the "incident" and left a message. Then, when Ed motioned for me to throw my phone up there, I quickly dialed his number again and passed the phone up. Someone may have pressed a button on the way up or something. Or maybe Ed did. That fucker. ;) I couldn't believe I made the grab...I was SO nervous!

Too bad no one got a pic of me standing up on my chair after I made the catch. :(
  • Options
    NoleeNolee Saskatchewan, Canada Posts: 66
    If there was EVER a time when I felt like seriously kicking my own ass for leaving Winnipeg..... rofl....
    ~ Gimli, MB "Mudfest" 1993
    ~ Edmonton, AB 2005
    ~ Winnipeg, MB 2011
  • Options
    bump this baby to the top! still can't get over the show
  • Options
    tboneotboneo Posts: 20
    I'm Bumping this cause
    a) the show rocked
    b) when they said they were comming back to winnipeg, i came back to the board, and someone said it was so cute that all these people are comming out of hidding. well i'm still here and i don't see them around anymore.
    c) I want to.
  • Options
    JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
    Nice to see this show still inspires. I know it does for me.
    We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.
  • Options
    New to the forum. PJ was an unbelievable experience and i don't think MTS centre has come close to the PJ capacity yet. I waited 10 years to see them again and now, after only 4 months since the show. I can't wait for the next one. Next Time i'm gonna do it right though. Next time i'm gonna get my PJ fix in a major way. Next time i'm goin for the long haul. From Vancouver to Montreal, atleast. Plans are already underway. fer sure. Rock on all you PJ forum people. ROCK ON.
    Speaking as a child of the 70's
  • Options
    I know what you mean. This was the last show I saw, and what a great taste to leave in one's mouth. I recently had a little brain wave. First off, I'd hate to say this folks but, I can't see them coming to back to places like Winnipeg or Calgary (well, maybe Calgary 'cause it's not too too far from that Boise/Missoula region, but even still) simply 'cause they were just there, and there's only so much tour time/so many places they can be at once. Originally I was thinking of trying to make it to as many US shows as possible. Now I'm thinking that maybe I should just fly to the UK and see as many shows in the areas as possible. Venues are more concentrated = less travel expenses and so on, and it would be a great chance/excuse to see some of Europe. I guess I could also fly to like New York or Boston and do the same sort of thing as well. Hmmmmm. If I'm lucky I might have a place to stay in Sheffield. If I spent more time on here maybe I'd meet more fine chaps from abroad to hook up with wherever I decide to bring a friend and go.

But yeah, Winnipeg was gold.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal