Options

**Winnipeg Fanviews Here**

Comments

• Options
    Thinking of driving up from NY for the two shows Thur and Fri in canada. 10c member who got shut out of tix. Can anyone help? Thanks Jack
  • Options
    breath21 wrote:
    Was one of the best shows I've seen!!! I don't need to expain much if you were there!!!! Words can't describe how f'ing awesome it was. I appreciate all efforts from everyone who make these unforgettable shows happen. It's so cool to sit 7th row and feel so appreciated as a fan!!!!! It's a great thing that makes my life a very happy place!!!
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Happy Minneapolis Fan

Maybe it was so crazy since so many of us Minneapolis fuckers went up there. :D
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    BoopBoop Posts: 1
    Yes, I can die happy now. What an amazing concert, and decent floor seats made it so intimate. I still smile when I think about that night!

I am ashamed to admit I was more excited to see U2 in Toronto this Friday, but after Pearl Jam, I'm like damn, could they even be nearly as good as Pearl Jam?? After that concert Pearl Jam's moved a notch above U2 in my book!! At least for this week! ;)
  • Options

That's gotta be it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Has anyone else been reading this?:
    http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2005/09/1203.cfm

It is a series of reviews from Shaun Gibson, a long time fan who is following the band through Canada. Perhaps this was already posted here somewhere?
  • Options
    Nah . . . Winnipeg crowds are always crazy
  • Options
    I've seen 100's of different concerts, shows and gigs and this Pearl Jam show was by far the best I've ever seen. I hope I don't have to wait too long to see them again. At least I have the boot to relive this incredible experience. Thanx Pearl Jam
  • Options
    Thanks Pearl Jam for doing a real Canadian tour, you guys rock.
  • Options
    Does anyone have pics from the Winnipeg show that are better than the ones from the boot?
  • Options
    Pearl Jam
    w/ The Supersuckers
    MTS Centre
    Sept. 8th, 2005

A+

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A Pearl Jam show is better than sex.

It's just as emotionally and physically exhausting, but it lasts for three hours and climaxes many times. And this particular Pearl Jam show was so good it was surreal.

Playing to an epic crowd of 16,000 (the largest for the MTS Centre), the grunge veterans finally brought their groundbreaking music to Winnipeg. And break ground, they did.

Paired with a minimal stage and bare bones lighting, the focus was entirely on Pearl Jam and their huge sound. Going through a generous two and a half hour set, Eddie and the boys covered a little of everything, making for an in depth, eclectic performance. With particular attention to the album No Code, we were given the grown up Pearl Jam tunes paired with the angst and energy they had in 1991.

In fact, the set list was perfect. With enough obscure tunes like Sad and Lukin to keep the die hards happy and enough of Ten to keep everyone happy, Pearl Jam knew what their audience wanted.

From pretty slow songs like the heartbreaking Indifference to the devastatingly beautiful Immortality, to dramatic, soul bearing rockers like Blood and Do The Evolution, Vedder's voice took on it's own role as an instrument. Swigging from his usual jug of wine, and dressed simply in a t-shirt and cords, Vedder relished sharing his music, and a bit of himself with the crowd. Switching from his trademark baritone to soaring, beautiful falsettos to throat searing screams, Vedder's voice carried all the angst, heartache, joy, confusion and love of his lyrics. The sheer energy being but into his voice made it almost an ethereal, surreal experience. The result was a truly moving, sincere performance. It's music that is made to be live.

But it was Vedder's signature Waaaaaaaaaaah! that got the crowd going during Even Flow. Hits such as Jeremy and Alive were revamped with 8 minute solos and lyric changes. Daughter went into a nice tag of Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall. They put the jam in Pearl Jam, making good songs even better.

The crowd was just as amazing as the show, amazing enough for Vedder to comment. "Winnipeg, you're f*cking amazing, and I mean that" an awestruck Vedder said to the crowd. Everyone was on their feet, everyone was singing and everyone was there for them.

During the last encore, a privileged fan got to join Vedder for the tune Smile she apparently had be requesting (via t-shirt) for quite some time. Vedder treated her to an awkward, exaggerated slow dance.

And just when you think it can't possibly get better than Alive and the night's surprise, Jeremy, Pearl Jam rounds out the night with two Neil Young covers, the last of which being Rockin' in the Free World, played under the house lights.

I have seen Pearl Jam before and they were nowhere near as good as they were at this show. It was truly the concert of a lifetime, and I dare say, the show of the tour. Pearl Jam did something that many bands can't. They played a perfect show.

xox Alternagirl

so, i was on my way home from school last night and saw the campus paper lying around... i saw that there was a review of the pearl jam concert on page 16, and i thought, "cool!" and grabbed one... once i flipped to the page, i started reading the review and immediately recognized the "pearl jam show is better than sex" line... i didn't know alternagirl goes to RRC as well... :)
  • Options
    Does anyone know a good Pearl Jam chatroom site? Message me if you do please.
    Vancouver 05/21/92
    Vancouver 07/21/92
    Vancouver 09/04/93
    Vancouver 07/19/98
    Winnipeg 09/08/05
    Calgary 08/08/09
    Winnipeg 09/17/11
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    wow you guys got a wicked setlist.. people are raving about London.. i really like this one.. especially the end
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    Still relivin' 6 days later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Nah . . . Winnipeg crowds are always crazy

It's true.

And this is a Pearl Jam town.

xox Alternagirl
    "I don't say things like 'special evening.' I'm a guitarist"

"You never know where you're going to meet a jammer"
  • Options
    I'm a Winnipegger based in Ontario. Saw Hamilton and going to T.O. next week, but I HAD to come back to Winnipeg to see PJ...I just knew the 'Peg would be loving the Jam like know one else (we've been starving since Gimli 1993). So glad I did, as my Winnipeg-peeps did me proud. Had a tear in my eye during the show. Hamilton was loving the Jam too, but only about 70% of the crowd lunacy of Winnipeg in my humble estimation.

Nice touch in Hamilton...PJ playing a beauty version of Uncle Neil's "Harvest Moon".
    1992 Minneapolis (Lollapolooza)
    1993 Gimli (Sunfest)
    2000 Toronto
    2003 Toronto
    2005 Winnipeg
    2005 Hamilton
    2005 Toronto
  • Options
    i have 44 pics from my buddy who sat first row.. they're pretty dam good.. PM me if u want them and give me your e-mail :)
    You sheltered me from nothing but the weather...
  • Options
    The show was great, not just the band, but the fans as well. Does anyone remember the jets fans and the whiteout? Plain and simple Winnipeg has amazing fans. Blue collar town with blue collar fans. Simply put the hardest rocking city in Canada.
  • Options
    One week later and I'm still in absolute fucking awe of how great that show was.
    only problem is I'm now suffering from severe PJ withdrawlls, and I don't know when i'll be able to see them again.

you folks that do like 4,5, even 10 shows a tour...how do you afford it?
    I mean it's money well spent, but where do you get cash like that?
  • Options
    MFCMFC Posts: 13
    listening to Black in winnipeg agian. this is the best version.

"all ill beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

oh my lord.

"we didnt belong together"

mad mcCready solo

i need another Pearl Jam live in person fix.
    Bic lighter = $1.79
    Cigarettes = $6.00
    Pearl Jam tickets = $60
    12 beers for you and your buddy = $60
    gut punched and ejected from a Pearl Jam concert by Rent-a-Cop security for smoking = priceless!"

--"Shit , i said fuck" - Eddie Vedder 2005
    - CanCon rips everyone off look out
  • Options
    I was driving home yesterday, and this guy pulled up next to me in his convertible, blasting the stereo. Now normally, I roll my eyes whenever I see someone blasting there music more to show off than for listening pleasure (do they honestly think it sounds better when they crank past their speaker's peak range of operation and start getting distortion?).

But not this time, because I instantly recognized what he was listening to as the Winnipeg boot, Elderly Woman to be specific. Tried to stay next to him for as long as I could to listen along with him.
    Minneapolis : 06/30/1998 - Chicago : 10/09/2000 - Vancouver : 05/30/2003 - Fargo : 06/15/2003 - Winnipeg : 09/08/2005 - Thunder Bay : 09/09/2005 - St. Paul : 06/26/2006 - Chicago : 08/23/2009 - Chicago : 08/24/2009
  • Options
    This show fucking rocks the house. Best boot by far.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    MFC wrote:
    "all ill beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

oh my lord.

"we didnt belong together"

What isn't apparent between these bits is Ed goes off to the side of the stage and sits down, closing his eyes for a bit and putting his head in his hands.

He says later on that he was just sitting there and opened his eyes and looked around and he was really moved. You could just tell that he was.
  • Options
    tboneo wrote:
    One week later and I'm still in absolute fucking awe of how great that show was.
    only problem is I'm now suffering from severe PJ withdrawlls, and I don't know when i'll be able to see them again.

you folks that do like 4,5, even 10 shows a tour...how do you afford it?
    I mean it's money well spent, but where do you get cash like that?

Come on down to Minneapolis next year. Hopefully they'll be dropping by.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    I am soooooo there. and since I'll be eligable for 10c seats. ( I finally joined in march/05), I might even like it more then Winnipeg!!!! :)
  • Options
    nicool wrote:
    i have 44 pics from my buddy who sat first row.. they're pretty dam good.. PM me if u want them and give me your e-mail :)
    Thanks for the pics, they were great!
  • Options
    mikey1001 wrote:
    Thanks for the pics, they were great!
    Yeah thanks they were very cool, so many too
    Vancouver 05/21/92
    Vancouver 07/21/92
    Vancouver 09/04/93
    Vancouver 07/19/98
    Winnipeg 09/08/05
    Calgary 08/08/09
    Winnipeg 09/17/11
  • Options
    First: Does anyone remember during what song Ed brought out the mirror?

Second: During Evenflow, why does Ed stop singing and laugh in the middle of the word "even"? Did he just start singing at the wrong time, or was there something in the crowd he was reacting to?

I know it's been said before, but I'd just like to thank the crowd from that night. The band was incredible, but the audience just turned into so much more!
  • Options
    Tunedout wrote:

Second: During Evenflow, why does Ed stop singing and laugh in the middle of the word "even"? Did he just start singing at the wrong time, or was there something in the crowd he was reacting to?

quote]

He started to sing the chorus a beat too soon... count it out when you listen, you'll hear it.

I can't say I remember which song the mirror was out for either... I'll be interested to find out.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    I'm pretty sure the mirror came out during Wishlist. I might be wrong, but looking at the set I can't picture it in anything else. I think it was during the first guitar solo.
  • Options
    The mirror came out during 1/2 Full. He did it right at the end of the song and didn't quite have enough time to get all the way around the crowd before the song ended.